Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
If you are planning to put 2-3" of mulch over where the offensive grass is, that will probably kill it, especially if you hack it up with a shovel first when planting the tree. The mulch can raise the temperature of underneath it (not as much in winter) and starve the grass of sunlight. Just remember to leave the area right at the base of the tree (where the roots start to spread out) free of mulch. Think "bunt cake" for what your mulch pile should look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
happy birthday to me :toot:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

nice color

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I posted this in the Gardening thread but was told this thread would be a better fit for help with my begonia.

GrandpaPants posted:

I noticed a couple weeks ago that some of the stems started to droop really bad. I haven't changed the watering schedule or moved it to another spot, and while the temperature increased a bit the past few weeks (hitting maybe 70-80s indoors), it's not scorching. It feels like it's wilting, but it's literally just the stems. They feel real flimsy, like they're made out of wet string instead of plant fiber, which makes me think it may be from a watering issue? It doesn't affect the entire plant, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something like some rot that I didn't notice or something.

Picture of the whole plant, with the worst parts drooping down touching the rug. I originally tied some of the stems a year or so ago so that they would grow upwards instead of to the side, but now I fear that the plant would collapse in on itself if I removed the ties.

Close up of the worst of the drooping stems. It basically just hangs on my finger.

I've had this begonia for a while and it used to be my best plant, so I'm worried that something may have happened to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I bought a couple things at the arboretum plant sale yesterday :3:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I bought a couple things at the arboretum plant sale yesterday :3:

Yikes! Halloween is over already!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Don't be mean to tephro :(

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've never really grown marigolds much before but these are freakin gorgeous, especially in the low autumn sun. For whatever reason the only zinnias still hanging around seem to be in nice fall colors too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sexy tiger boobs posted:

:(

Wallet posted:

Don't be mean to tephro :(
:hmmyes:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So I posted a bit in the previous thread about the nursery I work at, which specializes in carnivorous plants. My boss finally uploaded a video he made about one of our pitcher plants catching a mouse earlier this year. I thought the thread might like it, cause it also shares a bit of information about the plant in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GK1iDzvtA

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love this little female euphorbia obesa and now it’s flowering yay. I didn’t even know what dioecious plants are before this.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hi plant thread, been a while. A picture and some questions.

First, a picture. Here is the absolute mess that is my home office right now as everything was moved inside for winter:

And now a question. I have a little happy monstera karstenianum I got in May with 3 leaves. It's pushed out a bunch since, and made me real happy. A few weeks ago it got real aggressive and pushed out 3 suckers (this is literally the only thing I could find on them) and then a leaf that just opened. Still seems healthy, although the bottom 3 leaves have yellowed a tiny bit (sunburn maybe?) but I'm trying to decide what to do about the leafless vine portions, or to do nothing at all. Probably my favorite plant at the moment so want to keep it growing happily.

Pics:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
If any of you are orchid enthusiasts and live near southern CT, I highly suggest checking out J&L Orchids. I was able to visit for the first time today and holy moly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

If any of you are orchid enthusiasts and live near southern CT, I highly suggest checking out J&L Orchids. I was able to visit for the first time today and holy moly.

“gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you”
-my wallet (I’m in MA but my parents and sister live in that area and I’m there all the time)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

“gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you”
-my wallet (I’m in MA but my parents and sister live in that area and I’m there all the time)

The prices aren’t bad, but yeah. Super easy to spend way too much. I did.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

The prices aren’t bad, but yeah. Super easy to spend way too much. I did.

I was legit about to pick up some paphs, some oncidiums, and some intergenic hybrids at Mahoneys this month, but now I’m gonna wait until thanksgiving week and see if I swing by there instead

it cool, I buy enough at mahoneys anyway (like that variegated E. Ingens)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was legit about to pick up some paphs, some oncidiums, and some intergenic hybrids at Mahoneys this month, but now I’m gonna wait until thanksgiving week and see if I swing by there instead

it cool, I buy enough at mahoneys anyway (like that variegated E. Ingens)

I keep meaning to check out Mahoney’s. Thanks for the reminder!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Also, this was my haul:

* Rcl. Siam White “the best”
* Dendrobium Wattii
* Paph Hilo Leopard “merry monarch” x paph captivatingly wood “raisin” (photo below)
* Paphiopedilum Greyi (leucochilum x niveum)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I keep meaning to check out Mahoney’s. Thanks for the reminder!

The main one in Winchester is best, but they’re all different.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I might have to check this out even though I don't gently caress with orchids, I have to go down to New Haven in a few weeks anyway.

In unrelated news, my E. ingens has decided it wants to make actual flowers for the first time.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This reminds me, got my first D. elephantipes flowers

and the rest of the vine:

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So I appear to be losing a second bunch of ZZ ravens (multiple tubers in one pot) to fungus and rot, probably as a result of waiting too long to bring them inside.

However, my standard green ZZ, potted up in the same way and brought inside at the same time, is looking fine.

Are Ravens just weaker/more prone to disease?

When I brought them in last week, the standard green (the one that appears to be doing well) got put next to a euphorbia crest with some fungal rot, and as a result it’s gotten 2-3 days worth of antifungal spraying (the euphorbia’s been moved since, and will probably unfortunately be destroyed if it looks like I didn’t excise every bit of fungus and infected tissue). The Raven was kept in a different room and did not receive the spraying.

I’m not really convinced that things could have turned so quickly as to be contingent on the antifungal, but the turn did seem to happen in the last 48 hrs.

Thoughts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also, learn by my example and do not wait too long to bring in your plants. I staggered bringing my plants in.

Even though the temperatures have stayed roughly the same the whole time and haven’t really dropped below ~33 degrees in the morning, the prolonged exposure to more hot/cold cycles means that a bunch of the euphorbias and cacti that have been outside a week or two longer have all come down with fungal infections and poo poo.

A lot of these plants got gorgeous after spending 6 months outside, barring the usual wear + tear of being outdoors, and now I gotta scramble to do damage control on some of my favorites. And some are probably gonna be lost or need destruction entirely. :(

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are Ravens just weaker/more prone to disease?

I haven't grown any ZZ in particular (of either color), but my general experience is that just like variegated plants, sports/cultivars with unusually dark foliage are significantly less vigorous than their normal colored peers.

I also wouldn't necessarily expect the fungal spray to have much to do with it on that time scale, since unless you've been digging around in there it's probably been going on for a while before it's noticeable above the soil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I haven't grown any ZZ in particular (of either color), but my general experience is that just like variegated plants, sports/cultivars with unusually dark foliage are significantly less vigorous than their normal colored peers.

I also wouldn't necessarily expect the fungal spray to have much to do with it on that time scale, since unless you've been digging around in there it's probably been going on for a while before it's noticeable above the soil.

That was my thought, and also that it might be Home Despot’s fault/something inoculated in the soil at the store/in transit/at the greenhouse/etc. Although they held on and put on a ton of growth for a good 5-6 months.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

That was my thought, and also that it might be Home Despot’s fault/something inoculated in the soil at the store/in transit/at the greenhouse/etc. Although they held on and put on a ton of growth for a good 5-6 months.

3% hydrogen peroxide as a soil drench apparently kills off the poo poo that causes root rot, though that may not do you any good depending on how far gone things are.

I think I have a 100% hit rate for rot issues on Home Depot succulents that are grown in the soil they came in, though I only did that a few times before I learned my lesson.

That aside some succulents are just super sensitive to extra water hanging around in my experience and will basically annihilate themselves immediately if they find any. I had some Crassula capitella in a hanging pot that had been doing fine for months and months until they rooted out the hole in the bottom and managed to mostly turn themselves to mush (I snipped off the heads and they're now well into re-rooting) from the bottom up within 24 hours after I missed 1/8" of water hanging around in the bottom of an attached saucer.

I only have two attached saucers left now and I should probably replace them but I can't find good replacements of a similar size that will work for hanging plants in gritty mix without pissing everywhere every time I water them :( (I know I could take them down and do it over the sink but what a pain in the rear end in a top hat.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

3% hydrogen peroxide as a soil drench apparently kills off the poo poo that causes root rot, though that may not do you any good depending on how far gone things are.

I think I have a 100% hit rate for rot issues on Home Depot succulents that are grown in the soil they came in, though I only did that a few times before I learned my lesson.

That aside some succulents are just super sensitive to extra water hanging around in my experience and will basically annihilate themselves immediately if they find any. I had some Crassula capitella in a hanging pot that had been doing fine for months and months until they rooted out the hole in the bottom and managed to mostly turn themselves to mush (I snipped off the heads and they're now well into re-rooting) from the bottom up within 24 hours after I missed 1/8" of water hanging around in the bottom of an attached saucer.

I only have two attached saucers left now and I should probably replace them but I can't find good replacements of a similar size that will work for hanging plants in gritty mix without pissing everywhere every time I water them :( (I know I could take them down and do it over the sink but what a pain in the rear end in a top hat.)

Ugh I have a bunch of large cactuses that desperately and emergently need to be moved out of the lovely 90% moss soil they were sold in and I’m super duper not looking forward to it.

I’m talking about stuff like the trichocereus outgrowing their 8” pots, some of which I’ve posted here.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 12, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m talking about stuff like the trichocereus outgrowing their 8” pots, some of which I’ve posted here.
Yeah, it's grade A not fun moving cacti so I usually just over pot them so I can avoid it as long as possible. A glove/oven mit kind of helps but I basically always end up gettin' poked.

Perfect opportunity for some gritty mix, though :D (I'll never give up)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah, it's grade A not fun moving cacti so I usually just over pot them so I can avoid it as long as possible. A glove/oven mit kind of helps but I basically always end up gettin' poked.

Perfect opportunity for some gritty mix, though :D (I'll never give up)

Absolutely. I gotta get a better soil sifter so that I can use only the good DE granules without making a concretey root-smothering mess of superfine particles.

Got some colanders from Dollar Tree that I’m going to try to use as improvised mesh pots. I also found a place online selling pond baskets by size cheaply, so I’ll probably end up experimenting with some of those.

I really don’t want to keep them in solid plastic, but lol at putting everybody in 10”+ terra cotta.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son bought me a tiny fairy-garden kalanchoe several years ago. It petered out pretty quickly, but over the years, I ended up propagating it into a whole bunch of separate stems that I planted all together in a shallower pot meant for bonsai (see top picture: plants growing toward the sun). When they get leggy (see bottom picture: back view of same plants), I trim them down, root them in water, amend the soil, and plant them back in the same container to start the process over again.

They're at a point now where I'd start the cutting/replanting process. They've only rarely if ever branched, never budded; they just keep getting taller and growing more leaves at the very tips. They're generally happy, pest- and disease-free, and easy to care for.

Am I being too hasty when cutting them down? If I just let them keep on doing their thing (possibly with a cunning little ribbon around the lot to help keep them upright), will they eventually become more like a kalanchoe at your average garden center? Or is this all they are now, and is cutting/replanting to maintain this container of foliage about the best I can hope for?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Possibly showing my rear end here but: Wouldn't pruning the tops promote new nodes to grow? I would think that would help fill it out, perhaps?

edit:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Am I being too hasty when cutting them down? If I just let them keep on doing their thing (possibly with a cunning little ribbon around the lot to help keep them upright), will they eventually become more like a kalanchoe at your average garden center? Or is this all they are now, and is cutting/replanting to maintain this container of foliage about the best I can hope for?

There are a lot of cultivars and hybrids and poo poo so it's hard to really say without knowing what it actually is, but there's only one way to find out. The leaves seem small for blossfeldiana but then again if it's always stretching out and they're never getting much bigger I would suspect that it's just not getting enough light. Is it in a southern window?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Possibly showing my rear end here but: Wouldn't pruning the tops promote new nodes to grow? I would think that would help fill it out, perhaps?
Good point--thanks! I've never really had a houseplant I've needed to prune, so it didn't enter my mind. Googling "propagating kalanchoe" (or "leggy kalanchoe") gives many hits for "cut off bits, put in soil, wait," but nothing beyond that.

Wallet posted:

There are a lot of cultivars and hybrids and poo poo so it's hard to really say without knowing what it actually is, but there's only one way to find out. The leaves seem small for blossfeldiana but then again if it's always stretching out and they're never getting much bigger I would suspect that it's just not getting enough light. Is it in a southern window?
It's on my western windowsill, the best spot for my sunny houseplants. I do expect it's K. blossfeldiana based on what I've seen at that same nursery; given that it was originally sold as a very tiny version, though (we're talking a 2" pot, tops), maybe it's a mini cultivar? I remember the flowers were orange, and I know it has never budded pups off any leaves.

Man, some of these drippy flowering varietals I'm seeing online are gorgeous! I had no idea they even existed.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have a ponytail palm that I think is in a too small pot. When I poke it and the soil is dry, it wobbles back and forth, like it's poorly anchored (it is due for a watering, I haven't tried poking it in wet soil).

I would like it to grow bigger. I think the proper solution is to repot it in a pot that's maybe a little wider and probably twice as deep. Or more? The plant is about 20" tall and the pot is roughly 4" tall and 9" diameter

I also read that they don't like being repotted. What's my best move here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t have personal experience with ponytail palms, but all the big ones I see seem to be happy as clams in what I would normally consider to be extremely undersized pots. Just based on that, I think yours is in a fine situation for now.

Here are a bunch of examples from /r/houseplants.

That last one is in the process of being repotted, which seems appropriate, but it doesn’t seem to have have been suffering too much even with the base of the plant taking up what, four‐fifths of the pot?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Oh wow OK. I guess I'll just feed it tons of light.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My ponytail palm seems like it wants to fall out of the pot no matter what I do. I've just accepted that it really wants to be a horizontal plant

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

I also read that they don't like being repotted. What's my best move here?

To back up the photos, I have one and it doesn't seem bothered by repotting and it seems quite tolerant of being potbound. It didn't take getting fully bare rooted by my sink nozzle badly, either. I would note that the pot you have it in is quite shallow and that's definitely not going to help with stability/root development. Unless you know for sure that a particular plant is a shallow rooter or you're going to plant a number of smaller plants in a larger pot the dish style pots aren't usually a great idea. A normal plant pot will have a height that approximately matches its diameter.

I've treated it like any other succulent, if that helps (it's in gritty mix in a 10" pot and I give it 200ml of water once a week).I have a friend with three or four of them that are 20-40 years old that get much less light than mine does and they seem to do just fine, they just grow a lot slower.

Here's a photo of mine. It's been putting on a lot of top growth lately and as you can see the pot is barely bigger than it is.

That said while they seem to survive just fine when they're in shallow undersized pots the really large ones in the photos above are going to be largely stabilized by the sheer weight of the caudex, and most of them have a really disproportionate amount of foliage relative to the size of the plant which I suspect is because of how dinky the pots are.

Edit: Also worth mentioning perhaps that because of the way most of them are produced they're often sold very under rooted.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 22, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit:

But then you wouldn't end up with an 8 foot plant like the one I posted. It's definitely true that the flowering stalk will die and dry out into a useless hollow tube.

Oh yeah, came here to post the new tank coming along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I'm looking to get someone a houseplant as a Christmas present and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a plant that is: cat friendly (is a must, their cat loves to nibble plants), relatively easy to look after and interesting.

So far I've come up with either a ponytail palm or a rattlesnake plant.