Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Considering the range of body types on AEW guys this claim is always so weird.

AEW is just fine with the hugely jacked guys, providing the hugely jacked guys can wrestle well and aren't jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It’s weird anti AEW people think fans of it all like everything on the show. I look at my phone during the goofy stuff I dislike, but my eyes are glued to the screen when Danielson is on, or the world title or a women’s match, their all or nothing attitude is so dorky

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, you look at the physique of a guy like PAC and you definitely think,"Yeah I could be looking in a mirror, that's definitely an average body type."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's funny is how they miss old school land of the giants WWF/WCW, not even realizing that having a bunch of smaller guys makes the really big dudes seem even bigger. Dustin's practically a giant in AEW, where he used to be fairly average.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Dustin is one of those guys that's actually really big but no one noticed because he was never really booked as big man, same with Scott Hall to a lesser extent.

Cage is only 6 feet tall, he's super jacked but it's not like he's an attraction type giant.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every promotion that books Brian Cage gives him a big push out of the gate, then realizes that he doesn't actually have that much going for him, his run fizzles out and he leaves whining about how he wasn't pushed hard enough. He moves on to another company and rinse repeat.

He does this same routine every time and it's just tiring now. At some point it stops being the booker's fault that you didn't get over.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I bet some of these guys would be shocked to look at the heights of basically every My Olympia ever. Only Schwarzenegger breaks 6 ft out of all the champions.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

TheKingslayer posted:

I bet some of these guys would be shocked to look at the heights of basically every My Olympia ever. Only Schwarzenegger breaks 6 ft out of all the champions.

This reminds me of how people were laughing at how tiny AEW wrestlers are because Billy Gunn looked huge in a battle royal before it was pointed out to them that he's bigger than Brock Lesnar.

At the end of the day a lot of this stuff comes down to presentation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zombie Lemur posted:

This reminds me of how people were laughing at how tiny AEW wrestlers are because Billy Gunn looked huge in a battle royal before it was pointed out to them that he's bigger than Brock Lesnar.

At the end of the day a lot of this stuff comes down to presentation.

This isnt quite accurate, Brock is a freak under any denomination. It's not his height, it's his back and chest - he is wiiiiiiiiide. He looked like a freak in UFC too. He's just Brock. Rhea Ripley has the same thing in that she looks like a huge hoss but she's not even that tall in the womens division but she is thick.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
gary strydom is only 5'9. smh.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lid posted:

This isnt quite accurate, Brock is a freak under any denomination. It's not his height, it's his back and chest - he is wiiiiiiiiide. He looked like a freak in UFC too. He's just Brock. Rhea Ripley has the same thing in that she looks like a huge hoss but she's not even that tall in the womens division but she is thick.

Brock is a freak of nature, but people were talking about how Gunn was so much taller than everyone in the ring.

Turns out it's because he's tall!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If Walmart stock clerks looked like Hangman Page I'd spend a lot more time there

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/keemzus/status/1459005235020673024?s=20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AngelInvestorOG/status/1458980037185654785

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Many people are saying this

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I was with him until the last part of the last sentence.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ah yes the Man Of 1000 Rest Holds Randy Orton

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, Cena is a very very good worker in his specific style, but he ain't ZSJ.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cena is one of the few people who could tell WWE he's wrestling whatever style he feels like. If he were a ring technician, we would know.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/theenemiespe3/status/1459152078463459342?s=21

This is like giving Osama Bin Laden credit for the Fifty Shades of Grey books.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/toejamcentral/status/1459174274460233733?s=20

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Love when we get a 2 for 1.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I may have posted this before but why are these people so obsessed with "Casual Viewers?" Usually nerd fandoms loving DESPISE casuals

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Love when we get a 2 for 1.

much value

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For a brief period of time wrestling was trendy and cool and a generation of fans became convinced that that was a normal "cycle" and the thing to chase. And like the wrestling companies or wrestlers or whoever aren't immune to it either which is how you end up with celebrity crossover stuff.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The weirdest part of it is that AEW is so much more accessible for casual fans. They have simple show structures, explain things well as they're happening, and tell you ahead of time what's going to be on the show.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

For a brief period of time wrestling was trendy and cool and a generation of fans became convinced that that was a normal "cycle" and the thing to chase. And like the wrestling companies or wrestlers or whoever aren't immune to it either which is how you end up with celebrity crossover stuff.

Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense that a lot of wrestling fans (and people who are in the business) look back so fondly on the Attitude Era that they've convinced themselves that level of popularity is what the Normal for wrestling is supposed to be when in reality it was like 4 years of explosive popularity out of several decades

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

I may have posted this before but why are these people so obsessed with "Casual Viewers?" Usually nerd fandoms loving DESPISE casuals

If you don't have any real argument to back up why you don't like something and don't have any creativity to come up with some really weird argument it's a good stand by.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Drakkel posted:

Imagine it like if Star Wars was hemorrhaging viewers because it sucked and nobody cared about it anymore, but Star Trek was consistently putting out Wrath of Khan & peak-TNG level content, so the only remaining Star Wars stans had to rely on "hey look it's got sweet pew-pew lasers and light swords" as their main selling point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And the thing is its not even a bad idea to try and pull in new viewers. Every business does it and growing your audience/client base is the main goal most of the time. "Casual viewers" is just a wrestling term for the idea. And to that end its not even necessarily a bad thing to bring in a Shaq or ATT to try and pull over some new eyes, but none of it matters if you're not producing a decent product that might interest them when they tune over.

I also think there's like a weird self loathing thing from wrestling fans where like the dedicated ones who have spend decades just watching whatever wrestling was available to them has convinced themselves that the problem is wrestling itself. And that gives birth to this "less wrestling is what brings in the casuals" thing because I guess it makes sense right? If you they liked wrestling they'd have been watching that wrestling before, right? It couldn't be that they just thought that was bad, right? Because then why was I watching?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

STAC Goat posted:

And the thing is its not even a bad idea to try and pull in new viewers. Every business does it and growing your audience/client base is the main goal most of the time. "Casual viewers" is just a wrestling term for the idea. And to that end its not even necessarily a bad thing to bring in a Shaq or ATT to try and pull over some new eyes, but none of it matters if you're not producing a decent product that might interest them when they tune over.

I also think there's like a weird self loathing thing from wrestling fans where like the dedicated ones who have spend decades just watching whatever wrestling was available to them has convinced themselves that the problem is wrestling itself. And that gives birth to this "less wrestling is what brings in the casuals" thing because I guess it makes sense right? If you they liked wrestling they'd have been watching that wrestling before, right? It couldn't be that they just thought that was bad, right? Because then why was I watching?

Part of the problem is that WWE has trained folks to see wrestling as an afterthought and therefore they don't make an effort to become literate in the matches, seeing them as incidental action scenes between the dialogue.

And I think there ARE folks for whom the drama is more exciting than the matches, but when you can get both working and both are accessible, anyone can get into it if the interest is there.

And Full Gear has done a really good job with that; even if they've delved into "popping the boys" territory a little too much for my tastes, every match has been built to, every story has some weight and the only thing that really needs a breakdown is Omega/Page, but even that can be boiled down to "Former friends, Hangman screwed it up but is trying to learn from it and be better, Omega is a cartoon supervillain driven by his own paranoia and now Hangman has a chance to redeem himself and stop the bad guy"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

This man's profile pic is Jesus holding the WWE TITLE.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

JT Smiley posted:

This man's profile pic is Jesus holding the WWE TITLE.

Another performer buried by Roman reigns in the middle of a hot run.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zombie Lemur posted:

Another performer buried by Roman reigns in the middle of a hot run.

ayyyyy

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

on my casual mindset grindset

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Literally the only other time they've ever done this was when Paige tried to imply her suspension was over prescription medication and WWE said it was over "illegal substances"

And none of Lee's coworkers wished him well after he got the boot, I'm suspecting he pissed some people off and burned some bridges

quote:

Or, somehow, Keith was too dumb to submit his receipts for reimbursement from the medical plan.

Or he did, but he is equating paying and being reimbursed (like every other loving person in North America) as him "paying"

quote:

This goes without mentioning that it seems Keith Lee built himself a bad reputation behind the scenes in WWE. I’m suspicious of this one. Like you, I don’t think they would mess around at all and find themselves in a CM Punk debacle

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Yeah it'd be a real shame if Keith Lee had to go to AEW and get huge pops and marquee matches every single week like poor CM Punk

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021

quote:

I also just don't think Emi is really TV ready. She seems to get gassed pretty quickly and her "we will rock you" spot she keeps doing is really awkward and not over at all. I think they're on to something with her domineering Queen of Joshis persona that they can hone in on and build up but I just don't think that pushing her onto TV is the right move quite yet.

I think Emi is a huge asset for the company, especially if it means getting more talents like Shida and Riho for the company, and potentially Mei Suruga. I just think she personally needs more work to get her back up to speed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Isn't it well-documented that if you're injured in the ring in WWE you basically just hand over a company insurance card and you don't pay for poo poo even up front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it well-documented that if you're injured in the ring in WWE you basically just hand over a company insurance card and you don't pay for poo poo even up front?

He wasn't injured in the ring though.