Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, the Aoshima Patlabor and Command Car set are finally out!

Now I can put it into a single shipment with my Kotobukiya Tsugumori Kai-II and eat slightly-less poo poo on the shipping costs because hoo-boy was that a real wakeup when I checked what it would cost just to ship just the Tsugumori. :stonklol:

$168AUD for DHL Express, with no SAL option, because Japan's air post options have gone to hell again apparently. It's only $80AUD-ish for the Patlabor kits, so I'm curious to see how the Tsugumori tips that scale so heavily at $110AUD on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the box is a stupid size in one dimension that puts it into a larger box that will do it. HLJ can be dumb about their overpacking sometimes.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I recently got in to this hobby and I look forward to being poor with the rest of you. These are the two kits I have done so far, the Entry Grade RX-78-2 and HG Infinite Justice. You can definitely see the nubs I left but my next kit, I intend to get myself a couple sanding blocks.

I have already decided my next kit is going to be the MG MS-06 Zaku II 2.0.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Monaghan posted:

I am feeling immense relief after snapping everything together and finding out all the wiring still works

That looks amazing.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hey, the Aoshima Patlabor and Command Car set are finally out!

Now I can put it into a single shipment with my Kotobukiya Tsugumori Kai-II and eat slightly-less poo poo on the shipping costs because hoo-boy was that a real wakeup when I checked what it would cost just to ship just the Tsugumori. :stonklol:

Ahaha, I'm in the same position with the exact same kit.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
My hi-nu got here today. (from USA GS)

Yay.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

My hi-nu got here today. (from USA GS)

Yay.

Yeah, just got my shipping notice today, so I'm excited. That puts me up to 3 kits I need to put together now though. RG Exia from target (they didn't have freedom gandpa), pgu grandpa, and now the hi-nu. Got some other modeling work I need to get done before I get back to that (also finish the decals for the rg wing gundam).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Ahaha, I'm in the same position with the exact same kit.

So normally anything I get from Japan goes straight to Australia via SAL or DHL, but this one's going the long way round despite being DHL "Express". So far it's visited Hong Kong and now it's in Singapore. I guess they're accumulate packages on the one run to Australia? :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1457907734351736835

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Finally caught up from my backlog!

I was really excited about this this RG Unicorn but the very end was a pita trying to put together with pieces flopping off and those torso flaps. Gonna action pose it later on a base and never touch it again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ghostinmyshell posted:

Finally caught up from my backlog!

I was really excited about this this RG Unicorn but the very end was a pita trying to put together with pieces flopping off and those torso flaps. Gonna action pose it later on a base and never touch it again.

Making me a little fearful for the Perfectability I just got in.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Making me a little fearful for the Perfectability I just got in.

If it helps, I didn't have any of those issues with the RG Unicorn myself, except when doing the actual transformation process.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/FirearmsRetro/status/1458572080530669573?s=20

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Unlucky7 posted:

MG Qubeley Damned and Stormbringer FA is up on P-Bandai. Just snapped up the later.

Know I'm pretty late getting around to this for the first quote, but was able to grab both of these when they were posted, so thank you!

Both were on my bucket list and grabbing the reproductions saved me a ton versus buying from resellers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dudes rock

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Come on, you've gotta at least ask if he/she wants to help. (Please say no, please say no, please say no)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress builds gundams on the floor

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

know your worth King

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

Who the gently caress builds gundams on the floor

Someone who has had parts ping off into the ether off a table.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i just realized that he is also live streaming it, you can see the light and phone.

dude is making the best use of his post nut clarity possible

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Tsugumori Kai-Ni turned up and it is a very broad box indeed, I can see why this got pushed up into the next package bracket. The Patlabor looks good too, I've flipped through the manual a little and should be a nice fun build I hope. Looks to be similar build quality to their Gunbuster; Functional, but clearly lacking Bandai's experience in how to get smarter colour separation in parts rather than stickers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I found the Gundam Helios from Battlogue in Target yesterday and I'm surprised at how much plastic is in the box. Been a long time since I've done an HG that has this many parts.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Yooooooooo~!

If you're in bold below and want to claim prizes, PM me, please, before the end of the month.
I got off my rear and went back over the two months:

These are the folks I have down as having officially entered:

Gripweed -
for a whole pile of stuff

Tarquinn -
Zoids

Kantesu -
also Zoids

Glorified Scrivener -
LBX

Grassy Gnoll -
parts kit & chipping medium

Shart Carbuncle -
Graddaddy, Ez8, and a new backlog haver

Just Dan Again -
waterslides Penelope

Questions / Unofficial entries:

Hostess with the moltres -
did you get that Turn A airbrushed? What happened?

PringleCreamEgg -
marker airbrush death army pumpkin lad - were you wanting to enter?

A bad poster -
first gunpla, it's a grampa. - were you wanting to enter?

Justin_Brett -
Having trouble with MG Barbatos - I have something in mind for you if you want it?

If anyone entered and isn't listed above, please let me know.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, meant to say I did get the thing fully together, and it looks really good sitting on the shelf. The arm set-up with the piston does make me reluctant to mess with it there though, and I think that'd be a bit finnicky even if I hadn't messed up those pieces. But then again, that is just how Barbatos is and the rest of it fit together fine. It does make me want to try another Master Grade, though I dunno which.

I didn't intend it as an entry, though (and it wouldn't have really been in the spirit of it if I had), so no worries.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 13, 2021

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I pretty much fell off getting the Turn a airbrushed and realized that I hadn't been keeping my airbrush in proper shape so I gave it a soak in rubbing alcohol but I'm not sure how to get rid of the paint that got on the inside of the airbrush somehow. I'm not really sure what the best way to go forward with this would be. I showed some pieces to the discord and apparently the paint wasn't atomizing? I don't know if it's because my airbrush doesn't have an air tank or if I started with water based paint instead of alcohol based paint. I don't want to just give up but I am not sure what I should do next. I guess my main issue is that I've been having trouble getting the paint to just stick to the part evenly.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

SpikeMcclane posted:

PringleCreamEgg -
marker airbrush death army pumpkin lad - were you wanting to enter?

No thanks, that was a project I had in the tank already.

Unrelated but I got my P-Bandai order from the summer event and oh boy do I have a cool backlog now.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I've gotten into this hobby over the past month and I just finished my first gunpla, an HG RX-78-2 Gundam (The Origin Ver.). I'm pretty happy with it but there were a couple cracks that either formed or became visible while I was panel lining, and I'm not sure if it was an issue with the panel liner or something that happened during the build, or some third option. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about :

Any ideas why this would happen?

Another question: my next build is the RG Nu Gundam (not the Ver. Ka), and I'm worried the stickers will be really obvious on the darker colors, so I'm wondering if I should pick up some water slide decals instead, but I'm wondering how necessary it is to apply a top coat after applying decals? I could theoretically try applying it on my balcony but I live in Ottawa, where when it's not cold as gently caress, it's humid as gently caress, so I'm concerned that I'd only be able to build kits in a few months of the year.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2021

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Brownie posted:

I've gotten into this hobby over the past month and I just finished my first gunpla, an HG RX-78-2 Gundam (The Origin Ver.). I'm pretty happy with it but there were a couple cracks that either formed or became visible while I was panel lining, and I'm not sure if it was an issue with the panel liner or something that happened during the build, or some third option. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about :

Another question: my next build is the RG Nu Gundam (not the Ver. Ka), and I'm worried the stickers will be really obvious on the darker colors, so I'm wondering if I should pick up some water slide decals instead, but I'm wondering how necessary it is to apply a top coat after applying decals? I could theoretically try applying it on my balcony but I live in Ottawa, where when it's not cold as gently caress, it's humid as gently caress, so I'm concerned that I'd only be able to build kits in a few months of the year.

I'm building the RG Nu right now. Here's a picture of the decals up close and from ~normal distance.

If you're looking at it close, you can see the edges. From normal distance it's not really noticeable. If you want to take the extra effort water slides will always look better but I personally don't think it's worth the effort.
When I apply decals I use a knife to pick them up and place them, then smooth them out with a toothpick. Push the toothpick slowly across the decal in one direction to smooth it out. You can practice a bit with scotch tape to see how to do it.
Also, If any bits hang over the side of the part you can cut off the excess by running a knife carefully along the edge.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Skrillmub posted:

I'm building the RG Nu right now. Here's a picture of the decals up close and from ~normal distance.

If you're looking at it close, you can see the edges. From normal distance it's not really noticeable. If you want to take the extra effort water slides will always look better but I personally don't think it's worth the effort.
When I apply decals I use a knife to pick them up and place them, then smooth them out with a toothpick. Push the toothpick slowly across the decal in one direction to smooth it out. You can practice a bit with scotch tape to see how to do it.
Also, If any bits hang over the side of the part you can cut off the excess by running a knife carefully along the edge.

Oh hey, thanks for the pictures, that definitely doesn't look too bad at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yooooooooo~!

If you're in bold below and want to claim prizes, PM me, please, before the end of the month.
I got off my rear and went back over the two months:

Thanks so much for doing this, it was a lot of fun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Built a robot, more pics at a later time:

This was my first Fafner kit (as there is only one) and my first Moderoid, so consider this joining the spirit of the contest that just ended.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Brownie posted:

What did you use for the panel lining? The tamiya stuff in the bottle and the pour type gundam markers use a thinner that will eat certain plastics. It doesn't come up very often for gunpla; flame toys Transformers, though, are made entirely of that type of plastic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I pretty much fell off getting the Turn a airbrushed and realized that I hadn't been keeping my airbrush in proper shape so I gave it a soak in rubbing alcohol but I'm not sure how to get rid of the paint that got on the inside of the airbrush somehow. I'm not really sure what the best way to go forward with this would be. I showed some pieces to the discord and apparently the paint wasn't atomizing? I don't know if it's because my airbrush doesn't have an air tank or if I started with water based paint instead of alcohol based paint. I don't want to just give up but I am not sure what I should do next. I guess my main issue is that I've been having trouble getting the paint to just stick to the part evenly.
I think there are probably a larger number of airbrush users in the scale modelling thread if you want some more in depth advice.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished this guy today!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Philthy posted:

Finished this guy today!

This looks incredibly slick! Nicely done!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

30MM Doms!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

30MM Doms!

It combines with the other new -Nova kit :allears:

Also Check out the cursed skull head in the Head Set B

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

SpikeMcclane posted:

What did you use for the panel lining? The tamiya stuff in the bottle and the pour type gundam markers use a thinner that will eat certain plastics. It doesn't come up very often for gunpla; flame toys Transformers, though, are made entirely of that type of plastic.

Yeah, I am using the pour type gundam markers… I’m not sure if maybe my mistake was letting it get into the seams between pieces and not just grooves, where it couldn’t dry as quickly and maybe ate into the plastic as a result.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I built a little HG zaku and it was really meditative and fun so I have bought more robots to build :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It combines with the other new -Nova kit :allears:

Also Check out the cursed skull head in the Head Set B

oh man this think kicks so much rear end