Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That lute piece is gonna be pretty popular.

The classic space chest is a fun troll because purple is the last color needed to be able to build a "proper" rainbow but the airtank part has never come out in dark purple, so there's gonna be people hoovering that minifig up and hoping lego comes out with that mold in the right color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I usually just Bricklink the ones I want now, instead of randomly ending up with loads of whatever the least popular figure is (after the good ones have been felt out in shops, looking at you Fitness Instructor from Series 5). I like 3, 4, 7 and 8. The suited guys tend to be at a premium if buying singles, so despite liking hot pepper girl I'll probably skip that one.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just red the UCS AT-AT review from Brothers Brick. I am honest that I disliked the set at first glance, because I think a lot of details could have been done better, but having spent a lot of time building AT-AT MoCs at similar or larger scale, there still was this „hmmm….I need a christmas present for myself…maybe“-feeling (which I also have towards the Titanic).

But the more I read about it, the less I want it. It‘s pretty perfect on how the designers did their work, especially (in regard to the MOCs) using gravity to their advantage when designing the main hull. The idea with the hand-of-god steering for the neck/head is also awesome, as is the solution with the worm gears for the shoulder and knees, and even more so the solution for the feet (including a completely new piece).

But why oh why does it look so….uh….unfinished? I wish I‘d had 1% of the creativity of the people showing their MOCs in this thread and be sure I could modify it enough so I‘d like it more, but…meh…

Titanic also seems to be gone before Christmas, so I think I‘ll be strong and build the dreaded Nebulon B-MOC, to answer for my sins.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Hey, I wanna share this person's work because it's really speaking to me. I only found him because he followed me on Flickr, so I checked him out. I was so interested in his subject matter that I googled him up to find out a little more, and turns out he's a local historian in the city of Edmonton. So, what he tends to build are things from his city. Some of it is landmarks and big buildings downtown, and some of it is just... a house down the street, or an apartment that was torn down 6 years ago, or a somewhat rundown department or grocery store. It's just really interesting to see these, like, ordinary buildings at minifig scale. They have so much life and character for being, you know, empty buildings. They're not cleaned up to look nice in a LEGO city, and they're not worn down to appear more dilapidated than they should be. They're just presented as they are, or were.

I'm probably doing a poor job of explaining the appeal. I dunno, maybe it's just me. Have a look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163149187@N06/

"Shasta Apartments — Edmonton
Based upon the Shasta Apartments, a pre-war apartment block which once stood at 9542 Jasper Avenue."

"Raintree Apartments — Edmonton
Based upon the Raintree Apartments which stood at 9720 106 Street until 2015."

"Strand Grocery — Edmonton"

"Medical Building, University of Alberta (Midi Scale)
Based upon Edmonton's Medical - now Dentist/Pharmacy - Building. Constructed in 1921 and designed by architectural firm Percy & Nobbs of Montreal, with assistance of Edmonton architect Cecil Burgess."

"Koermann Block"

Hope y'all enjoy. Give this guy a follow if you like what you see - he's criminally under-viewed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know what you're smoking re: #7 though, those are some heinously clashing colours.

That's kind of the point? Green+purple is a very classic schlock villain look.

The purple alien is quite possibly the best collectible figure of all time and easily justifies the whole pack.

edit: bard also owns, raccoon is probably the first animal costume figure I give two shits about, acorn gnome and santa warrior are at least something different

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
great to see more Lego options to represent differently abled people, they've been good about representation lately

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Term’s disabled, you’re welcome

I like some of these but there’s no real standout for me like with the shipwrecked guy or the beekeeper. I’m still gonna hunt for that trike or chili.

GWP for the VIP weekend next week are out, you can buy the Lego camera for 2.000 points apparently. Shame there’s nothing on my wishlist I want or can afford right now.

https://www.stonewars.de/angebote/lego-vip-wochenende-2021-details/

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zwille posted:

Term’s disabled, you’re welcome

wow thanks

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
a cool energy for the thread about plastic blocks for children

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, I wanna share this person's work because it's really speaking to me. I only found him because he followed me on Flickr, so I checked him out. I was so interested in his subject matter that I googled him up to find out a little more, and turns out he's a local historian in the city of Edmonton. So, what he tends to build are things from his city. Some of it is landmarks and big buildings downtown, and some of it is just... a house down the street, or an apartment that was torn down 6 years ago, or a somewhat rundown department or grocery store. It's just really interesting to see these, like, ordinary buildings at minifig scale. They have so much life and character for being, you know, empty buildings. They're not cleaned up to look nice in a LEGO city, and they're not worn down to appear more dilapidated than they should be. They're just presented as they are, or were.

I'm probably doing a poor job of explaining the appeal. I dunno, maybe it's just me. Have a look.

Based upon the Shasta Apartments, a pre-war apartment block which once stood at 9542 Jasper Avenue."

Based upon Edmonton's Medical - now Dentist/Pharmacy - Building. Constructed in 1921 and designed by architectural firm Percy & Nobbs of Montreal, with assistance of Edmonton architect Cecil Burgess."

"Koermann Block"

Hope y'all enjoy. Give this guy a follow if you like what you see - he's criminally under-viewed.

These are all good and every time I think "Yeah I think I could make something cool" I see one of these 'aged' panels like the wall in the first one or the roof of the barn and be like "that looks amazing and I would never think to do it"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

"Koermann Block"

These are seriously awesome looking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I imagine I’m the only one who actually cares but the answer to the threaded axle/nut spec appears to be M5x1.0, yeesh.

Even McMaster doesn’t carry parts to that spec so yeah, looks like I’m off to bricklink or similar to spend five bucks shipping an 80 cent part.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Differently Disabled. Now you are both right!

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Non-native English speaker here and honest question: What would be the most suitable term for people with disabilities (at least currently)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There isn't a most suitable term. You just learn what each person prefers and hope you remember to use it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Disabled people or people with disabilities. Although a lot of disabled people prefer “disabled people”, if you’re going by identity first language. Use whatever but if a disabled person requests a certain way just use that.

https://pwd.org.au/resources/disability-info/language-guide/identity-vs-person/

“Differently abled” is generally frowned upon because it’s usually taken as belittling and downplaying very real disabilities and disadvantages. Which is why I reacted a little harsh initially, sorry. :)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zwille posted:

“Differently abled” is generally frowned upon because it’s usually taken as belittling and downplaying very real disabilities and disadvantages. Which is why I reacted a little harsh initially, sorry. :)

Yeah, I had just woken up when i wrote that, hopefully the rest of my post conveyed that it wasn't done with malicious intentions.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If possible, I'd be specific about the person's issue; impaired vision, mental health issues, paraplegic, etc.

Those Edmonton buildings are cool.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Zwille posted:

Disabled people or people with disabilities. Although a lot of disabled people prefer “disabled people”, if you’re going by identity first language. Use whatever but if a disabled person requests a certain way just use that.

https://pwd.org.au/resources/disability-info/language-guide/identity-vs-person/

Thx!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I had just woken up when i wrote that, hopefully the rest of my post conveyed that it wasn't done with malicious intentions.

All cool, I was being kind of hard on the issue I’ll admit.

deoju posted:

If possible, I'd be specific about the person's issue; impaired vision, mental health issues, paraplegic, etc.

Ya, if you have a chance try to find out the preferred terms for said disabilities, if you wanna make sure just ask ask (or watch what they use themselves).

quote:

Those Edmonton buildings are cool.

Yeah! Idk how to describe it either, they’re kinda bland but also detailed but not boring.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
here's a really cool technique from the Harry Potter Attack on the Burrow 75980 set

the set is essentially a facade and interior for a ramshackle house with tilted floors and the set has a tilted floor built with hinged tiles

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s a pet hospital set my girl has that does the same thing for the roof, albeit with slightly more tilt. I remember liking it when I saw it there, too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Incoming effort post. I like Ghostbusters a lot. It's my favorite movie. I like legos too. I made all these over the past few years and figure now is the best time to share them.

https://imgur.com/a/IEff8cw

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 14, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Edit: gently caress double post.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tuo posted:

But why oh why does it look so….uh….unfinished? I wish I‘d had 1% of the creativity of the people showing their MOCs in this thread and be sure I could modify it enough so I‘d like it more, but…meh…

What about it do you think looks unfinished? I don't think it's perfect but it looks great overall imo.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

deoju posted:

Incoming effort post. I like Ghostbusters a lot. It's my favorite movie. I like legos too. I made all these over the past few years and figure now is the best time to share them.

:eyepop:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

deoju posted:

Yeah, the creativity is just off the charts. Great work!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Absolutely love the way you did the streams. Great work all round!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

What about it do you think looks unfinished? I don't think it's perfect but it looks great overall imo.

The parts used for the pistons, the back of the walker, the parts used at the shoulders. Goldbars used for the exhaust vents instead of the cheese graters (or whatever they are called). A tad too many showing studs for my taste. The head is awesome, the interior is awesome, but I still think it has some "rough spots" which an UCS set at that price shouldn't have. Brothers Brick also suggest (according to the manual) that you can't display it in one of my favourite AT-AT poses...knees straight, two legs back, two legs front, like this:

(I'm aware that this is a kinda stupid argument because Lego actually achieved the till now unachieved miracle of createn an AT-AT at that scale that seems to be pretty stable AND has adjustable knees)

It's all nerd nitpicking from me of course, but it's actually what holds me back from spending a pretty crazy amount of money for a Lego set.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Seriously, there's so much cool poo poo in there. I love stuff like the beams, and the quality of the stickers, and that you went well beyond simply replicating stuff from the franchise and still ending up with a bunch of stuff that would make sense within its universe.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

tuo posted:

It's all nerd nitpicking from me of course, but it's actually what holds me back from spending a pretty crazy amount of money for a Lego set.

I think its fair enough that you have a certain level of expectations, particularly if you are going to shell out the amount of cash for the set. Obviously though people's expectations will differ. For me, I think it looks worthy of a UCS (although I reserve the right to change my mind once I see it up close), but I also wouldn't say its perfect. But then again, its made out of lego so there are always going to be certain limitations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Andoman posted:

I think its fair enough that you have a certain level of expectations, particularly if you are going to shell out the amount of cash for the set. Obviously though people's expectations will differ. For me, I think it looks worthy of a UCS (although I reserve the right to change my mind once I see it up close), but I also wouldn't say its perfect. But then again, its made out of lego so there are always going to be certain limitations.

Totally agree. My view of the set is also skewed in the way that I built the stupid CaveGod MOC, which looks way better and is larger, but is a major pain to build and keep (that's why I didn't start the Nebulon B yet, because that one is even worse).

So my hope was that Lego might knock one out of the park by creating something that looks as good as the CaveGod MOC, but is stable, and fun to build. So my expectations I assume were way too high. If it were cheaper, I'd be all over it (not that keen on the interior, speeders, minifigs and stuff). I assume it won't be the last UCS AT AT they make.

E: uh, my loving bad English…

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 15, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Tesco has them for half price/clearance right now.

Yep, cheers!

Old post, but there's also this unofficial EU Lego web store at https://www.brickshop.eu/; they have some Vidiyo sets at 50% off, and postage to UK isn't too bad either. (I think that now with Brexit we UK residents need to pay customs fees and VAT for EU stuff, but that only start to happen for orders worth £120 or above or something like that.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is anyone excited about spending $170 for the Xmas giveaway or $15 of points for the camera?

$170 seems a bit high for that GWP, imo. The camera price seems fine if it has free shipping. I'm guessing you'll see them for $50 on ebay in a few weeks.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

tomapot posted:

Yeah, the creativity is just off the charts. Great work!

Hey, thanks, goons. :shobon:

GlenMR posted:

Absolutely love the way you did the streams. Great work all round!
Thanks. That was definitely a eureka moment for me. Super satisfying.

Skios posted:

Seriously, there's so much cool poo poo in there. I love stuff like the beams, and the quality of the stickers, and that you went well beyond simply replicating stuff from the franchise and still ending up with a bunch of stuff that would make sense within its universe.
Aww, shucks. Thanks. Stickers are tons of fun once you get the hang of the decal paper and image software. They add lots of life. I used Gimp, and inkscape, they're both free. At some point, I started running out stuff to copy and had to make up my own. :p I've kicked around ideas for a subway car and a marine unit, among others. That's really want I want the most from the new movie, enough room in the timeline for the Ghostbusters to have had plenty of adventures with new gear and ghosts.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Before I go down a google rabbit hole anyone find a suitable replacement for lego tubing. I’m rebuilding Jabba’s sail barge and need it for the railings and window hinges. I’d rather buy a length or roll and cut some to length instead of ordering a bunch of little pieces.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In new condition, you should be able to find all 10 tubes for $5. Maybe a bit more. Easily much cheaper if you get used. I'd bet that you could get it all for under $20 shipped, even if you use different sellers.

This is for a set worth $300+

If you ever sell it, the value will be lower due to not having the right parts.

For a MOC, I can see the half measure, but not for a valuable set. Do the right thing and keep it 100%

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 16, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

deoju posted:

Ermagherd, you absolutely nailed all the character of the movies! That PKE meter and streams are stupidly well done, and the interdimensional ecto 1 is :3:

Also love the tuk tuk and Am-Boo-Lance, the camp is such a good fit

I got a good laugh from Slimer chasing the hot dog guy, ace choice on head expression :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hey, thanks. That means a lot.

You know how kids watch movies over and over? That was me with Ghostbusters. One of my earliest memories was sitting in a shopping cart and seeing a VHS copy on a display and grabbing it, and that sent me down a life long love for the movies. I remember trying to make ghostbusters lego sets as a kid but never being able to get things quite right, so all these have been a long time coming.