Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stevewm posted:

But would draining it solve the problem?

it could be a cause depending on what's settled in your tank and now you're possibly sucking it up. I asked regarding electric / gas becuase the next statement was going to be anode rod. But I forgot that Gas ones also have Anode rods due to the fact my last electric one had a rod on it's own (more obvious) and my gas ones all have rods on the inlets.

I'd be aware that at this point in the age of your water heater draining or replacing anodes may result in the need for a new tank depending on condition of the components you're touching.

this all reminds me I need to get a plugin pump so I can drain my tank into the sink next to it as its' a year old.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stevewm posted:

But would draining it solve the problem?

Maybe?

You should contact your city water department and request TDS test results on your tap water. Likely, sulfur is just high in concentration in your water. It's only noticeable from the hot water because it's more odorous with heat.

Really solving the sulfur issue is going to come down to putting a filtration system or water softener between the city tap and the house lines. So wherever your supply line is in the house, before it tees off to the water heater or anywhere else. Then you'll have to keep up with filters or salt.

You might look at buying a cheap TDS pen ($15~) and checking what the output water from each tap for results, and compare that to the city numbers. You might find the city test results online somewhere on a city or county website. If they're on the high side, start looking at filtration or softeners. Like sulfur isn't the only thing that's high in your municipal water. If you really want to know what's in the water, expect to pay $50-75 for a water test from a lab. A TDS pen is only going to tell you the total of all minerals, a breakdown needs a lab test.

If you wind up leaning towards replacement, consider a tankless water heater.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe?

You should contact your city water department and request TDS test results on your tap water. Likely, sulfur is just high in concentration in your water. It's only noticeable from the hot water because it's more odorous with heat.

Really solving the sulfur issue is going to come down to putting a filtration system or water softener between the city tap and the house lines. So wherever your supply line is in the house, before it tees off to the water heater or anywhere else. Then you'll have to keep up with filters or salt.

You might look at buying a cheap TDS pen ($15~) and checking what the output water from each tap for results, and compare that to the city numbers. You might find the city test results online somewhere on a city or county website. If they're on the high side, start looking at filtration or softeners. Like sulfur isn't the only thing that's high in your municipal water. If you really want to know what's in the water, expect to pay $50-75 for a water test from a lab. A TDS pen is only going to tell you the total of all minerals, a breakdown needs a lab test.

If you wind up leaning towards replacement, consider a tankless water heater.

The sulphur thing only started about a month ago.

The water system I'm on does have their report online, but doesn't appear to have TDS listed. https://www.napwatercorp.com/water-quality-report

I would wonder if I even have the electrical capacity for a electric tankless. Gas is not available in my town. I have 200A service, but my house is fully electric. I already have a few high draw devices; heat pump with 10kW of backup heat strips, stove, dryer, electric car charger, etc..

I am going to give it a try draining it partially to check for sediments and taking a look at the anode rod. If I have to replace the tank, so be it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stevewm posted:

The sulphur thing only started about a month ago.

The water system I'm on does have their report online, but doesn't appear to have TDS listed. https://www.napwatercorp.com/water-quality-report

I would wonder if I even have the electrical capacity for a electric tankless. Gas is not available in my town. I have 200A service, but my house is fully electric. I already have a few high draw devices; heat pump with 10kW of backup heat strips, stove, dryer, electric car charger, etc..

I am going to give it a try draining it partially to check for sediments and taking a look at the anode rod. If I have to replace the tank, so be it.

Wow that's a lovely water report. I mean in terms of what they actually list as tested. Also the lead test being more than 5 years old wouldn't really be instilling confidence, and none of those tests have dates from this year.

TDS is an acronym for total dissolved solids. TDS uses parts per million for units, and there are different scales depending on what is being tested specifically. TDS pens measure overall solids in the water, so not having it listed on a water report isn't surprising as they're breaking down the solids listed, just seems weird it's not listed.

I could see being concerned with having the electric capacity of your panel, tank heater does make sense there.

E: oh, I see, they only list what was detected. Just seems odd to me, my last water report I got was pages long, but Colorado Springs doesn't exactly have reputably clean water (I've since moved).

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 12, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wow that's a lovely water report. I mean in terms of what they actually list as tested. Also the lead test being more than 5 years old wouldn't really be instilling confidence, and none of those tests have dates from this year.

Yeah I just realized it said sample date of 2018. ha!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. The general testing being dated last year, I get that, because they're reporting averages. But every water report I've seen or gotten in the mail has been much, much more thorough than a 2 page bullshit pdf like that. Maybe I missed it but I didn't even see a pH range listed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. The general testing being dated last year, I get that, because they're reporting averages. But every water report I've seen or gotten in the mail has been much, much more thorough than a 2 page bullshit pdf like that. Maybe I missed it but I didn't even see a pH range listed.

I would assume they are doing the minimum that is legally required.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

mr.belowaverage posted:

It's a basement. There are several causes to the moisture, the primary one in that area being the unfinished floor with a crappy sump pump.

There are several planned projects for the basement that will help, including pouring a floor and a proper sump pit, but in the meantime the floor is unsafe and needs resheeting. In the interim, I want to protect it from the damp below as best as possible.

You could lay down 6 mil plastic vapor barrier/sheeting beneath the plywood substrate. Problem is that if there are several causes to the moisture as you're saying and none of them have been addressed the moisture will get back into the problem areas even with the 6 mil laid down beneath the plywood then you'll be right back where you started.

Also it would probably be beneficial to get a good dehumidifer in the interim and put it in the basement. But if you do that it'd have to be a good one that feeds the discharge line into your sump pump basin. And not one of those poo poo big box retail ones with the bucket that needs to be emptied every couple hours.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2021

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

melon cat posted:

You could lay down 6 mil plastic vapor barrier/sheeting beneath the plywood substrate. Problem is that if there are several causes to the moisture as you're saying and none of them have been addressed the moisture will get back into the problem areas even with the 6 mil laid down beneath the plywood then you'll be right back where you started.

Also it would probably be beneficial to get a good dehumidifer in the interim and put it in the basement. But if you do that it'd have to be a good one that feeds the discharge line into your sump pump basin. And not one of those poo poo big box retail ones with the bucket that needs to be emptied every couple hours.

Oh yeah, the lack of long term mitigation is understood. Those steps will take place starting in spring. For now, I’m just looking for the simplest most effective way to add protection to the ply until the basement is damp proofed and de-humidified. Right now a dehumidifier will do exactly nothing. There’s too much ingress and no management happening.

I looked at deck sealants, latex paints and drying oils. I looked at pressure treated ply. I even thought about painting the underside with redgard. I’m just checking with the goon hivemind to see if there’s a best option.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hello goons, because SA continues to have a thread for every topic imaginable, I come to you for help.

A while back I put a patch over a hole in my drywall and covered it, but it was never flush with the wall, just a smoothed over lump. Thinking of it now, I don't think I was ever one hundred percent sure how far i should sand it down. Basically, am I supposed to be sanding into the nylon mesh of the patch to make it smooth? Or will that damage the structure of the patch and cause it to fall in?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You're supposed to feather it out it will never be flush/smooth because well it's higher than what exists. You're supposed to apply a wide berth of mud so you can sand it smoothly with a sanding sponge so that it kind of disappears. Depending on skill level this can take between 3 and 1000 applications of mud and sanding.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hello goons, because SA continues to have a thread for every topic imaginable, I come to you for help.

A while back I put a patch over a hole in my drywall and covered it, but it was never flush with the wall, just a smoothed over lump. Thinking of it now, I don't think I was ever one hundred percent sure how far i should sand it down. Basically, am I supposed to be sanding into the nylon mesh of the patch to make it smooth? Or will that damage the structure of the patch and cause it to fall in?

tater_salad is right, you're supposed to feather it out wide. How many rounds of coating and sanding did you do? How far beyond the patch did you coat?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kid sinister posted:

tater_salad is right, you're supposed to feather it out wide. How many rounds of coating and sanding did you do? How far beyond the patch did you coat?

I went about two inches past the patch on each side, and did I believe four layers with smoothing out in between. I think I just need to feather it more and then it will be what it will be, unfortunately it's a narrow room so having a bump really stands out, but if I can work it then maybe it will blend more. Thanks all

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Only 2 inches of feathering is your problem. It should be more like 4 to 6.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Digging back up water heater chat. We have never drained our electric water heater in the 8 years we have lived in the house. It was a newish water heater when we bought it. I'd be willing to drain it and get into that habit, but how likely am I to do this then realize the thing is hosed and then I'm scrambling to call a plumber to install a new one in an emergency?
We don't really have any hot water issues in the house currently, just thinking of this being a deferred attempt at proactive maintenance (new thread title?)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So, I was going to drill up from my crawlspace to run ethernet through my house. I have a giant crawlspace, so that isn't an issue, but is there an easy way or a tool or something to tell me exactly where to drill up? I want to drill directly up from the crawlspace into a wall and turn part of a coat closet into the place where I locate my networking gear.
I really don't want to drill up into my hardwood floors.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Peachfart posted:

So, I was going to drill up from my crawlspace to run ethernet through my house. I have a giant crawlspace, so that isn't an issue, but is there an easy way or a tool or something to tell me exactly where to drill up? I want to drill directly up from the crawlspace into a wall and turn part of a coat closet into the place where I locate my networking gear.
Drill down from the closet/wall and drop something bright and shiny down the hole so you can find it in the crawlspace. You don't need an app or tool for this, I promise.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Peachfart posted:

Definitely drill down, and if you're putting wall plates in to mount your network jacks then you can pick the spots, like Kaiser Schnitzel said. If it's hard to see the floor behind the drywall due to framing there's long flexible drill bits they make for that kind of thing:
https://smile.amazon.com/Installer-Drill-Auger-Style-16inch/dp/B08MLJ2LZV/ for example, but there's lots available in different lengths. I've seen an electrician use a super long one to get an outlet put in like 6 feet up in a kitchen for a cabinet mounted microwave.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Drill down from the closet/wall and drop something bright and shiny down the hole so you can find it in the crawlspace. You don't need an app or tool for this, I promise.

Eh, I wouldn't try without a flexible shaft. If you're willing to rip out drywall to do this then you can do it with a regular drill/bit. But if you just want to open a hole for the wall plate then you'll need a flex shaft to reach down to the floor.

Rexxed posted:

Definitely drill down, and if you're putting wall plates in to mount your network jacks then you can pick the spots, like Kaiser Schnitzel said. If it's hard to see the floor behind the drywall due to framing there's long flexible drill bits they make for that kind of thing:
https://smile.amazon.com/Installer-Drill-Auger-Style-16inch/dp/B08MLJ2LZV/ for example, but there's lots available in different lengths. I've seen an electrician use a super long one to get an outlet put in like 6 feet up in a kitchen for a cabinet mounted microwave.

I've found that the placement tool is really helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-Placement-Klein-Tools-53715SEN/dp/B00D3QPTZO

In addition to the above placement tool, I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-921-Quick-Change-Extension/dp/B003649AQM

The greenlee shaft is nice because the bit is detachable, so you can swap it out with larger/smaller bits if you want.

Piece of advice: watch your torque. It's easy for these bits to get snagged, and the flex shafts can only take so much before they break. If you get jammed, back up and try again. Trying to power through or force the shaft to turn will end poorly.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I watched my HVAC contractors use a straightened out wire coat hanger in a drill chuck to do this very thing when locating new vent runs. It worked beautifully. Of course these were going to be cut into the floor, not a wall cavity.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Peachfart posted:

If you pay attention, you'll be able to look up from the crawlspace and see where the sill plates of your walls were nailed through the sub floor. Closets are usually easy to spot since they have walls close together with several corners and tees.

Another thing I've done before was to drill a tiny hole in the floor nearby and leave the drill bit poking through while I went to the basement and shone my flashlight until I spotted the drill bit. Yet another thing I've done was to wait until night, then turn a strong flashlight on and set it on top of the hole pointing down. Then you just have to go down to the basement and look for the bright spot on the floor.

Still, those flexible drill bit kits are really nice and handy to own. Regardless of your method, doing this in an exterior wall is a pain since they're full of insulation. It may be impossible to drill up with a normal, straight bit because the hole may need to be too close to the foundation wall for the drill to fit. In these cases, you need to use a flexible drill bit from above.

Lastly, old work low voltage brackets are your friend. They let you may holes in the wall big enough to reach your hand in or use one of those flexible drill bits. If you want to match the heights of your existing outlet boxes, then take the face plate off of one of your existing outlets and measure the distance between the bottom screw to the base board. Match that distance with your new brackets.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 15, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where do i find something this small? Im too stupid to understand how to convert it to a size or whatever that i can search for on Amazon or somewhere. Everything i find is way too big. thread count or spacing doesnt matter as long as they fit each other

help a moron out please.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like it'd probably be a #0 machine screw.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where do i find something this small? Im too stupid to understand how to convert it to a size or whatever that i can search for on Amazon or somewhere. Everything i find is way too big. thread count or spacing doesnt matter as long as they fit each other

help a moron out please.

I'm sure McMaster Carr would have something for you

https://www.mcmaster.com/fasteners/

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

help a moron out please.

It could be a #0 or it could be metric, what did it come off of? If it's something made overseas that's a big clue that it's metric.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to note about this is that if you have an old - think more than 10 years - water heater and it's never been drained you might gently caress yourself if you drain it. Basically if the valve gets clogged with the poo poo that's in the tank you might not be able to get it closed again.

But at that point you're into "use it until it fails and replace the heater" territory.
Yeah the water heater at my cottage is rusted shut. Like, 18 years old in a damp crawl space, it’s a wonder it still runs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

NomNomNom posted:

It could be a #0 or it could be metric, what did it come off of? If it's something made overseas that's a big clue that it's metric.

No clue actually. I found it in a random parts container and it fit what I needed it for and now i need more.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

No clue actually. I found it in a random parts container and it fit what I needed it for and now i need more.

If you already have one, just try a hardware store. Like go to lowes-depot, ace, or wherever.
An auto parts store *probably* wouldn't have something like that although you could try if none of the others have them.

My order of operations for finding something like that would be:

Hardware/big box store - convenience

Industrial supply place - Some don't sell to the public, or you otherwise need an account

Auto parts store - just in case

Online - but then you have to wait for shipping.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ace does metric much better than home Depot or Lowe's from my experience. Take them there and they even have little things you can thread the nut onto usually to find the pitch.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hobby store that sells R/C kits and hardware. Specifically, DuBro:

https://www.dubro.com/collections/fasteners

I used their stuff to replace rivets when rebuilding the window tracks in my Econoline.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah take it into a hardware store (ideally an ace/tru-value, i find their loose hardware sections better than lowes depot), or a fastener shop if there's one around you, or even a hobby shop as someone said. You can sometimes figure out a bolt with good calipers but it's so easy to just try it out in a gauge.

Also, if you find the right bolt but it's too long, it's really easy to cut bolts down to length. Hacksaw, then lightly deburr with a file.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

alnilam posted:

or a fastener shop if there's one around you

Not sure if you’re in the US, but I was surprised to find out these guys are only in Canada.

Do y’all have Fastenal?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

alnilam posted:

Yeah take it into a hardware store (ideally an ace/tru-value, i find their loose hardware sections better than lowes depot), or a fastener shop if there's one around you, or even a hobby shop as someone said. You can sometimes figure out a bolt with good calipers but it's so easy to just try it out in a gauge.

Also, if you find the right bolt but it's too long, it's really easy to cut bolts down to length. Hacksaw, then lightly deburr with a file.

A thread gauge is the best answer. Any hardware store should have one in the fastener aisle. I feel like calipers would be too hard to get something like the thread pitch, but maybe I'm just not patient enough.

Also there are a couple metric fasteners that are drat near identical to imperial. I think like M5 and 10-32 or something like that, and the dimensions are so close you could fool yourself in to thinking you measured them wrong. Also you have to engage more than a couple threads to be sure that it's the right fit.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 19, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

Not sure if you’re in the US, but I was surprised to find out these guys are only in Canada.

Do y’all have Fastenal?

We have fastenals here but usually I can get whatever I need at the local ace/tru-value.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't know where any of y'all are, but in Canada, Fastenal doesn't do non-commercial sales anymore.
Only businesses and account sales. And if you're not a business, you don't get to have an account.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I referred a lot of people to our local Ace Hardware when I worked the retail counter at my current job. I had a lot of fasteners but they were almost all sheet metal screws. Anything machine thread was highly specialized and the smallest thing I had was a 10-24.

Did some looking on Bolt Depot but the smallest Phillips truss head I can find is a #2 diameter. Echoing Ace.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Hobby store that sells R/C kits and hardware. Specifically, DuBro:

https://www.dubro.com/collections/fasteners

I used their stuff to replace rivets when rebuilding the window tracks in my Econoline.

Definitely this. That's only marginally larger than a lot of the screws and bolts that I use in my model trains.

I just rolled open my small bits drawer and it took me one seconds to find something exactly the same size as that drawing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The light in my house's staircase has two switches, one at the bottom and one at the top. However, unlike regular setups where flipping either switch toggles the light, both switches have to be flipped on for the light to be on. I haven't opened up the boxes to take a look yet...how are these supposed to be wired?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one of those cases where you need to have four conductors (hot, neutral, third leg, ground) and the PO didn't want to run new wires.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sounds like a couple of two way switches in series. They should have three way switches and a three conductor wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The light in my house's staircase has two switches, one at the bottom and one at the top. However, unlike regular setups where flipping either switch toggles the light, both switches have to be flipped on for the light to be on. I haven't opened up the boxes to take a look yet...how are these supposed to be wired?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one of those cases where you need to have four conductors (hot, neutral, third leg, ground) and the PO didn't want to run new wires.

We have one of those sets of switches too, but ours is a rental house and I'm not messing around with someone else's wiring.