Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Deviant posted:

excuse me the diy thread is that way, this is the buying tools thread

ya I know, it's just a good retort anytime someone wants to start some tool tribalism. A downside of the rise of cordless tools is that y0ure incentivized to pick a brand and stick w it for everything, instead of buying whatever brand makes the best of each specific tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

lil poopendorfer posted:

ya I know, it's just a good retort anytime someone wants to start some tool tribalism. A downside of the rise of cordless tools is that y0ure incentivized to pick a brand and stick w it for everything, instead of buying whatever brand makes the best of each specific tool.

I was instead incentivized to build a battery charger rack and to taste the entire rainbow. Who's laughing now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tracecomplete posted:

I was instead incentivized to build a battery charger rack and to taste the entire rainbow. Who's laughing now?

Big battery

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I stuck a neodymium magnet on the case, and stick the key to that when I'm not using it. Plenty secure and easy to access when I need it, hasn't failed me yet.

I've got plenty of hd magnets laying around. I'm an idiot. :negative:

lil poopendorfer posted:

instead of buying whatever brand makes the best of each specific tool.

Do you actually do this? Does anyone? That's like a Grover tell.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

instead of buying whatever brand makes the best of each specific tool.

well colour matters, so

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Nobody does this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I buy a different brand for every tool so I can keep things organized by colour and find things in the heap. Where's my drill? Look for the green. Where's my router? Cobalt blue. Circ saw? Azure. Jigsaw? Orange.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Lucky for me Milwaukee makes the best of every tool

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

SpartanIvy posted:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

SpartanIvy posted:

Loose tenon joiner? :stare:

I suppose milwaukists just glare the boards into position

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Milwaukee domino joiner and track saw when?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nitsuga posted:

There are things like this: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA4235-Caulk-Removing-Oscillating/dp/B01GLGFZQK

I've never tried one, but that does seem about right, and I know I've seen other blades (for OMTs) advertise that they can be used for caulking removal.

I used a similar blade (I think it was more like the flat scraper, DWA4218) when removing the caulk from a bath at my old house. It worked great, won't ever remove caulk any other way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Uh, last update I guess:

This is maybe the easiest machine I've ever disassembled. Got the spring working again so the spindle actually raises now! Degreased, cleaned and regreased all the moving pieces, and took the cup brush and some solvent to remove as much rust from every component I could. It's night and day:

Before

After

I am a pleased tool owner, goons.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im very imPRESSed LAP

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Saucer Hovers posted:

im very imPRESSed LAP

:v:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Bob Mundon posted:

Looking at finally getting a bench grinder and saw this pop up on CL. Haven't heard of the brand before, this a decent option?

https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/d/dearing-clarke-bench-grinder-40/7407946992.html

Buried as the last post on the last page, but any thoughts on this grinder for $40?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm on team red, but their "dremel" (rotary tool) is not very good.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

im very imPRESSed LAP

BOOOOO!!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bob Mundon posted:

Buried as the last post on the last page, but any thoughts on this grinder for $40?

So just reading around for a few minutes and I'm finding that's a pretty good price for the thing. it would seem that they are at the same quality level as something that would be distributed by Harbor Freight. Used to be a UK headquartered and manufactured product I guess but in recent years have just been distributing some cheapo stuff.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Good to know, thanks. Figure if I'm patient might be able to score something older that's high quality so will hold off.

I'm not seeing many with adjustable angle tool holders, is that not common except for higher end grinders?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

wesleywillis posted:

I'm on team red, but their "dremel" (rotary tool) is not very good.

I actually really like it? My point of comparison is a Dremel 4000 though. I like that I can use most of my Dremel accessories with the Milwaukee tool since they use the same threading on the front.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm on my third. They don't get used much and generally have a somewhat easy life. Currently one runs fine but the collet isn't holding the tools very well these days. The others had varoius motor and switch failures.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bob Mundon posted:

Good to know, thanks. Figure if I'm patient might be able to score something older that's high quality so will hold off.

I'm not seeing many with adjustable angle tool holders, is that not common except for higher end grinders?

Not really sure, honestly. It looks like the go-to cheapy is the WEN 4276 2.1-Amp 6' it retails around $70 and has adjustable tool holders.

The grizzly G9717-6" is around the same price point and also seems to have an adjustable tool rest but I keep looking at pictures of it and not getting how.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've got plenty of hd magnets laying around. I'm an idiot. :negative:

for corded tools, absolutely. For cordless, no bc I don't wanna deal w 3-4 chargers on the job. I just picked Dewalt bc their cordless rear handle saw is the best and they support their battery systems better than Makita. But yeah I know a decking contractor who uses milwaukee, festool, and Makita cordless. Otherwise it's Milwaukee for the MEP guys and DeWalt for the carpenters in my area

"best" is kind of a misnomer, all the pro level cordless tool lines are great these days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone have a moisture meter recommendation? Figure I should add one to my tool bag before the day I need it.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

Anyone have a moisture meter recommendation? Figure I should add one to my tool bag before the day I need it.

I have the Klein pinless and it works well enough. Not accurate enough for woodworking but it lets me know if the foundation is letting water into the walls

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

lil poopendorfer posted:

for corded tools, absolutely. For cordless, no bc I don't wanna deal w 3-4 chargers on the job. I just picked Dewalt bc their cordless rear handle saw is the best and they support their battery systems better than Makita. But yeah I know a decking contractor who uses milwaukee, festool, and Makita cordless. Otherwise it's Milwaukee for the MEP guys and DeWalt for the carpenters in my area

"best" is kind of a misnomer, all the pro level cordless tool lines are great these days.

I meant cordless, yeah. Corded I'm in the makita, dewalt, porter-cable, rockwell, milwaukee, craftsman (if you count the radial arm gathering dust), bosch camp.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So are mechanix the only decent choice in the "I work on machines and am tired af of bloody knuckles" category?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Literally A Person posted:

So are mechanix the only decent choice in the "I work on machines and am tired af of bloody knuckles" category?

How much dexterity do you need?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

How much dexterity do you need?

Quite a bit. But the only features I really care about is the armored knuckles and being machine washable. Resistance to solvents would be really nice but I can live without it.

E: that is, it doesn't have to be non-porous just made of a material that doesn't melt when it spends prolonged periods in turp/gas/wd40

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 18, 2021

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've got some tile to cut and looking at hole saw sets. Eyeing these: https://smile.amazon.com/DrilaxTM-Diamond-Bathroom-Drilling-Porcelain/dp/B00V3WQ2WE/ but curious if anyone has an recommendations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am in the process of refinishing an axe head (currently sitting in white vinegar, would be done but thought I had steel wool and I don't so a store trip is in order). Should I look into any sort of metal rust inhibitor once I'm done?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mechanix feel the best and have the best dexterity but only in their standard glove. Once you get in to their armored gloves you lose that dexterity because they add layers to the palm/finger tips and may as well explore other brands. I really wish they made the standard glove with protection only on the top.

Machine washable is hard because its not kind to the leather on the palms as theyll dry out and harden up. Honestly though you will probably go through gloves fast enough that it doesnt matter.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 18, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am in the process of refinishing an axe head (currently sitting in white vinegar, would be done but thought I had steel wool and I don't so a store trip is in order). Should I look into any sort of metal rust inhibitor once I'm done?

When you do chemical rust removal with vinegar that bate metal will want to rust drat near immediately. My go to is to just have some simple mineral oil around so when you take it out of the bath and rinse it off you can just immediately dump a bunch on there and it'll keep it rust free.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

mechanix feel the best and have the best dexterity but only in their standard glove. Once you get in to their armored gloves you lose that dexterity because they add layers to the palm/finger tips and may as well explore other brands. I really wish they made the standard glove with protection only on the top.

Machine washable is hard because its not kind to the leather on the palms as theyll dry out and harden up. Honestly though you will probably go through gloves fast enough that it doesnt matter.

Any chance you can recommend another manufacturer?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

When you do chemical rust removal with vinegar that bate metal will want to rust drat near immediately. My go to is to just have some simple mineral oil around so when you take it out of the bath and rinse it off you can just immediately dump a bunch on there and it'll keep it rust free.

sounds good I have some of that already so even better

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Any chance you can recommend another manufacturer?

Nope. All I use are the original mechanix gloves. I have a half dozen pairs. 2 for dirt biking, one set in each vehicle and a few in my tool box. I almost always use them for working on things as my hands are pretty scarred up from past projects. Not only do they keep my hands free from blood/infection but they also keep my hands infinitely cleaner than working without.

Any others Ive tried (including the mechanix impact and high abrasion) never got close to the same kind of dexterity. Ive used all kinds from different stores that try to replicate mechanix gloves but just don't seem to fit correctly or have quite the same amounts of feel/dexterity. A lot of gloves are over-engineered for durability but lose that important feel. Ive always just gone back to the standard mechanix gloves.

Harbor freight has some that actually seem kind of close with pretty thin palms (which increases feel and limits lifespan) the but the fit is horrible. The fingers are too long and they only come in 3 sizes whereas mechanix originals come in ... 9 different sizes?

Ive never tried the newer impact (v2/3) gloves, the specialty .5mm, or the pursuit gloves though. They might have a bit more abrasion resistance while still being dexterous but you never know until you try them.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 19, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

Nope. All I use are the original mechanix gloves. I have a half dozen pairs. 2 for dirt biking, one set in each vehicle and a few in my tool box. I almost always use them for working on things as my hands are pretty scarred up from past projects. Not only do they keep my hands free from blood/infection but they also keep my hands infinitely cleaner than working without.

Any others Ive tried (including the mechanix impact and high abrasion) never got close to the same kind of dexterity. Ive used all kinds from different stores that try to replicate mechanix gloves but just don't seem to fit correctly or have quite the same amounts of feel/dexterity. A lot of gloves are over-engineered for durability but lose that important feel. Ive always just gone back to the standard mechanix gloves.

Harbor freight has some that actually seem kind of close with pretty thin palms (which increases feel and limits lifespan) the but the fit is horrible. The fingers are too long and they only come in 3 sizes whereas mechanix originals come in ... 9 different sizes?

Ive never tried the newer impact (v2/3) gloves, the specialty .5mm, or the pursuit gloves though. They might have a bit more abrasion resistance while still being dexterous but you never know until you try them.

Cool. Thanks for the quick write-up. Looks like it's probably going to be the OG mechanix and just hope that the thicker material on the fingers will keep me from getting all scratched up.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Gun oil has some additional rust inhibitors you don't get with something like mineral oil too.

Trickier to pull off the full oil bath that way though. Harder to come across these days but if you want to give it a good dunk kerosene works really good too, but same with mineral oil doesnt have the extra rust inhibitors.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bob Mundon posted:

Gun oil has some additional rust inhibitors you don't get with something like mineral oil too.

Trickier to pull off the full oil bath that way though. Harder to come across these days but if you want to give it a good dunk kerosene works really good too, but same with mineral oil doesnt have the extra rust inhibitors.

Oh hell yeah! For old iron stuff and machine screws that are getting put into something living outside I like using some Tung oil to finish the metal. Has the added benefit of extra rust protection and it looks nice on old bare metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You could also force a patina on it using mustard or something.