Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think a *mild* bend could probably be accounted for by the auto-leveling technique most printers use but really, I'd make sure the bed was flat before even beginning to look at other stuff.

I feel like it's flat, but then again I also feel like it's level, so :shrug: I've got problems with adhesion in specific sections of the bed but if it's off it's so close that I can't tell how to get it just right. I'm wanting to do some larger prints so I really need to get it fixed, I've just been using the parts of the bed that haven't had a problem after spending a few hours fruitlessly trying to level the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I cannot get this Elegoo transparent resin to work at all
Or at least without mixing pigments in
Do I need to up the cure time? Down it? I’m using a known good ctb file that I use regularly for testing new resins, and I get the pad and nothing else wants to adhere

I’ve used Voxelab transparent in the past with success, so I guess I’m just going to order more of that and save the Elegoo for tinting??

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Sockser posted:

I cannot get this Elegoo transparent resin to work at all
Or at least without mixing pigments in
Do I need to up the cure time? Down it? I’m using a known good ctb file that I use regularly for testing new resins, and I get the pad and nothing else wants to adhere

I’ve used Voxelab transparent in the past with success, so I guess I’m just going to order more of that and save the Elegoo for tinting??

This is elegoo resin in a mars 2, right? Did you try ~60s cure for the base layers and 6 second for regular layers? That’s what was printed on my bottle and it worked after the default settings caused failure on the test file (rook).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mars Pro, set for 60/8
My mars 2 also hates it, though l. Think I had that cranked up to 7 or 8 as well

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thank you all for the 3d printer feedback. I decided to just go for the Elegoo Saturn. So right now I have the Saturn printer, 1000 grams of standard Elegoo Photopolymer Resin, and a UV curing station kit in my Amazon cart. I plan on getting nitrile gloves and isopropyl alcohol at the store here locally. The UV curing station kit has a resin strainer included. Other than looking into UV glasses, is there anything else I should be picking up before I get started?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hekk posted:

Thank you all for the 3d printer feedback. I decided to just go for the Elegoo Saturn. So right now I have the Saturn printer, 1000 grams of standard Elegoo Photopolymer Resin, and a UV curing station kit in my Amazon cart. I plan on getting nitrile gloves and isopropyl alcohol at the store here locally. The UV curing station kit has a resin strainer included. Other than looking into UV glasses, is there anything else I should be picking up before I get started?
UV glasses? That's a new one for me. What on earth are they for?

It sounds like you have what you need to get started. If it's miniatures you're printing then I would also suggest a UV flashlight. Those are invaluable for fixing small broken bits and putting minis on bases.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

InternetJunky posted:

UV glasses? That's a new one for me. What on earth are they for?

It sounds like you have what you need to get started. If it's miniatures you're printing then I would also suggest a UV flashlight. Those are invaluable for fixing small broken bits and putting minis on bases.

Yeah I have no idea other than I saw them mentioned for making your own curing station. I have never messed around with UV lights and wasn't sure how dangerous they are to the unprotected eye.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hekk posted:

Yeah I have no idea other than I saw them mentioned for making your own curing station. I have never messed around with UV lights and wasn't sure how dangerous they are to the unprotected eye.

I mean, you shouldn't be sticking your head in your curing station and staring at the lights, but the same wavelength is present in sunlight so not sure what to say. I think you can safely skip the glasses.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

InternetJunky posted:

There should be three files you downloaded. You just put those on the USB drive, insert the drive into the printer, and then "print" (as in, select the file on the printer and then press print) them on the Mars3. You want to do it in this order: .LCD file, then .RBF, then .TXT file.

Please make sure you got the Mars3 files specifically. You can completely brick your machine if you do this with the wrong printer files.

Good times! I am a giant man baby and after going to sleep and waking up again I was again competent to follow your directions and I am running the test print rook as we speak. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I get anxious around poorly translated instructions and second guess myself. I am using the Elegoo black water washable resin instead of the grey they gave me because I don't have a gallon of IPA lying around and I wanted to use my wash and cure machine. I will see how bad the test print fucks up and probably move on to learning how to fiddle with the exposure settings next. I downloaded the spreadsheet from Elegoo so at least I have a base line for all that Jazz. Thank you again for the hand holding and spoon feeding, I am an unbelievable dummy but if you ever need any advice about fixing your car I'm your Huckleberry

Edit: Hekk I LOVE your "Uncle Billy's Atlanta BBQ" tag it's one of my favorites, I gotta get a John Brown one made up some day

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hekk posted:

The UV curing station (assuming it's a premanufactured one, like from Elegoo) should have a lid or door or some sort of cover, so you'd be ok without UV glasses.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I keep a set of UV sunglasses in my printer toolbox in the event i'm doing something dumb with UV light, but I've never actually had to use them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Good times! I am a giant man baby and after going to sleep and waking up again I was again competent to follow your directions and I am running the test print rook as we speak. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I get anxious around poorly translated instructions and second guess myself. I am using the Elegoo black water washable resin instead of the grey they gave me because I don't have a gallon of IPA lying around and I wanted to use my wash and cure machine. I will see how bad the test print fucks up and probably move on to learning how to fiddle with the exposure settings next. I downloaded the spreadsheet from Elegoo so at least I have a base line for all that Jazz. Thank you again for the hand holding and spoon feeding, I am an unbelievable dummy but if you ever need any advice about fixing your car I'm your Huckleberry

Edit: Hekk I LOVE your "Uncle Billy's Atlanta BBQ" tag it's one of my favorites, I gotta get a John Brown one made up some day

My understanding is that the wash and cure spinny boi is no good for water washable— gotta just hose those down and brush them? I guess??
(I have not used water washable resin)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The UV curing station (assuming it's a premanufactured one, like from Elegoo) should have a lid or door or some sort of cover, so you'd be ok without UV glasses.

Ehh I cheaped out and got a lamp and a solar powered spinny table. I figure I can line a box I rig up with aluminum foil or reflective something and make it cure things. It was around 25 bucks compared to like 60 for the pre-built solutions. I won't stare at UV lights though.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sockser posted:

My understanding is that the wash and cure spinny boi is no good for water washable— gotta just hose those down and brush them? I guess??

I think that if I have to rinse/brush the parts anyways the wash and prob isn't very necessary, I will skip that part and just go straight to curing after I dry them off. Good call, I think I'm just cised to try all my new toys

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda hilarious that the test print for the mega 8k is a single rook.

Even the elegoo Mars printed 2 of em side by side. GIGANTIC BUILD PLATE, itty bitty test file 🤏.

I honestly was expecting like a fuckoff giant hollow tesseract or something to showcase the size of the printer. Instead, single rook with some writing embossed on it.

Re: all the safety stuff, yea the uv goggles are kinda overkill but honestly if wearing em makes you feel better, buy em. You won't really ever have your face directly in the uv light, but if you feel safer wearing em, awesome. Also, in the slicer you use, don't forget to make drain holes in your models if they aren't like, solid minis. Otherwise the water washable stuff sort of expands and cracks later. It's a point of contention with it mentioned a lot in the Facebook groups. Don't pour the water down the drain either, just pop it outside to evaporate.

Still, with the regular resin, you need to make drain holes anyway, but I think once you clear coat it with some uv blocking spray in whatever finish you choose, you should be ok.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 14, 2021

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Sockser posted:

The “wash” part of wash and cure stations are just magnetically stirred buckets. They’re fine for water washable, or Simple Green, or any washing fluid really.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hekk posted:

A lot of stuff blocks UV but I wouldn't worry too much since most curing stations are at the top end of UV-A (the ones I see online are around 405nm). There do exist LEDs that can do UV-C but they were like $5-15 for a single LED at the beginning of covid and everyone just uses fluorescent tubes in disinfecting lights which will burn your eyes like the incident with the lamps from the filming of Blade 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwsHRrDYu5o

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

Ehh I cheaped out and got a lamp and a solar powered spinny table. I figure I can line a box I rig up with aluminum foil or reflective something and make it cure things. It was around 25 bucks compared to like 60 for the pre-built solutions. I won't stare at UV lights though.

It's an extremely good idea to line it with something reflective both for efficiency reasons (why waste all those photons?) and also for safety reasons. Depending on the exact frequency you might not need to stare, or even look at, the light too long to do serious, lasting damage to your eyes. Someone else posted that it's a wavelength that's in sunlight but the problem is your retina doesn't detect UV light so the defence mechanisms that stop you going blind from looking at the sun don't kick in. It's not a *huge* danger, but it's definitely a present one, so why not spend 10 minutes with some tinfoil and tape to protect yourself?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Since filament drying comes up quite a bit, just a heads up that Sunlu is running a KS campaign for the second version of their dryer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunlu-filadryer-s2/sunlu-filadryer-s2-effective-support-3d-printer-creation

The first one seemed to generally be fine. I'm only mentioning this one because it improves on a couple of issues with the original design and the early bird pricing makes this about as cost-effective as just buying and modifying a decent food dehydrator on your own.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Paradoxish posted:

Since filament drying comes up quite a bit, just a heads up that Sunlu is running a KS campaign for the second version of their dryer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunlu-filadryer-s2/sunlu-filadryer-s2-effective-support-3d-printer-creation

The first one seemed to generally be fine. I'm only mentioning this one because it improves on a couple of issues with the original design and the early bird pricing makes this about as cost-effective as just buying and modifying a decent food dehydrator on your own.

Does it have a continuous-running mode? I have an S1 that I like to use on PLA but if I'm printing longer than 24 hours for something and don't make it back around to turn it on again within an hour or so of it shutting off, I end up getting the same moisture/thermal problems because the dryer isn't perfectly-sealed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Paradoxish posted:

dang, that's pretty inexpensive

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Does it have a continuous-running mode? I have an S1 that I like to use on PLA but if I'm printing longer than 24 hours for something and don't make it back around to turn it on again within an hour or so of it shutting off, I end up getting the same moisture/thermal problems because the dryer isn't perfectly-sealed.

if your filament is picking up moisture THAT quickly, you've got other problems. A few hours to the air shouldn't affect PLA like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

if your filament is picking up moisture THAT quickly, you've got other problems. A few hours to the air shouldn't affect PLA like that.

I doubt moisture has anything to do with it, and it just prints better if the filament is warmed above ambient before it encounters the heat in the hotend.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

I keep my filament in those vacuum bags and I forgot to seal one of them up and the reel of Sunlu PLA+ in it still printed perfectly a year later. What kind of swamps are you goons living... oh wait I see it now, as you were.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Pledged because I was considering a dryer and this would be as good as any, I already started work on a container to use as a dry box

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why do product promotion videos use such aggressively bad music?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I also pledged. I've heard some snaps and pops from wet filament on Hatchbox PLA, but not on the Inland I've ordered. Definitely a factory issue, as I don't pick up a lot of humidity from the <30% humidity ambient air. One of the perks of living in the desert, of which there are no downsides :supaburn:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I've been mixing a lot of colors and pigments of resin lately, and usually have a fair bit left after prints. What's the best way to store this? Like, what vessels can I get?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I doubt moisture has anything to do with it, and it just prints better if the filament is warmed above ambient before it encounters the heat in the hotend.

Amusingly, I ran into a PLA that did pick up moisture that fast. The Glass Clear Blue Pla from Microcenter will become foamy, and nasty in 18ish hours of exposure. I got a refund for it, becuase as far as i'm concerned, that ain't PLA.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sockser posted:

I've been mixing a lot of colors and pigments of resin lately, and usually have a fair bit left after prints. What's the best way to store this? Like, what vessels can I get?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/70860-REG/Delta_11120_Datatainer_Storage_Bottle_with.html

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sockser posted:

saving your old resin bottles is the cheapest and easiest, just give em a good rinse with alcohol, maybe scour the inside out with steel bearings in the alcohol to get any pesky sediment/pigment off the sides and bottom, and you're good to go. that said i almost never need a 500/1000ml bottle for resin-mixing, so it's a big waste of space. if you have a makerspace nearby you might be able to take their empty bottles off their hands, I figure they're a pain to dispose of properly so they might welcome you handling that for 'em.
up here in Canada dispensaries often sell weed in little opaque jars with decent gaskets/seals built right in, some are great and some don't seal well enough for me to trust em, but that's the best source of ~100-250ml bottles I've found that are a good fit for storing small amounts of resin. course, I also get those for free.

i very much like those photochemical bottles ImplicitAssembler posted, except 32oz is also too big for any blending i've done. 250ml feels like the sweet spot; i'd definitely pay a couple of bucks for a black opaque bottle with a good tight-sealing lid and a writeable space to label the contents.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe: https://www.mcmaster.com/liquid-containers/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i have a resin bottle i saved labeled "BASTARD RESIN" that all the dregs go into. either it prints or it doesnt, and i dont complain when it doesnt print

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

i have a resin bottle i saved labeled "BASTARD RESIN" that all the dregs go into. either it prints or it doesnt, and i dont complain when it doesnt print
I have a similar one that, while not actually labeled, is usually referred to as the Piss Bottle.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Kinda curious to see these bottles of lowly resin

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Unperson_47 posted:

Kinda curious to see these bottles of lowly resin

I leave mine on the side of the road.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Acid Reflux posted:

I have a similar one that, while not actually labeled, is usually referred to as the Piss Bottle.

Deviant posted:

i call mine either "swamp water" or "the king's cup"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Gst3d's silver (aka spaceship colored) pla is surprisingly nice looking as compared to the couple of flat colors I've run through before

This is a promising development.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

The Mars 3 has been cranking out minis all weekend! I made a sweet filigree gengar and a boobmonster for the wife. I ran through almost an entire 1/2 liter bottle of resin already between those two models and all the weird tentacles I printed for the wife's bookstagram. I'm really glad I started with 3L of resin.

One more question: I hallowed out the hangar model (chitubox says it reduced the price of resin by 75% after hollowing) but I didn't add a drain hole! Is this a toxic time bomb of some kind of is he safe to put on a shelf? Also I heard someone say (?) They were buying IPA for $50 ish for 4-5 gallons anyone got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You didn't add a drain hole yet. Do you have a drill?