Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I really like Angua as a character. But I was a bit sad to see that in the Postal film, she mostly just growls at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I didn't care for the Going Postal adaptation. It was nice getting visual context for what a clacks tower could look like but I retained literally nothing else from the entire experience.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The one thing I remember is that they used my mental casting for Sacharissa Cripslock that I had since reading The Truth.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
They seriously bungled David Suchet as Reacher Gilt though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I, also, am on a sequental reading and I'm up to Maskerade. Lords and Ladies was my favourite so far and I can agree that Moving Pictures was weaker.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Moving Pictures is very much a transitional novel, between the ''old disk world" and the newer stuff. I think it might be the last time "the modern concept is actually a ritual to open the Dungeon Dimensions" plot plays a significant role. Though it is referenced by Vetinari in The Truth.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I quite like the Going Postal adaptation for what it is, it's different from the book but still enjoyable. I watched the first part of the Hogfather the other day though and it isn't super great, I think if I hadn't read the book I'd have no idea what was going on at all.

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 9, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

e X posted:

Though it is referenced by Vetinari in The Truth.

I think that’s the only bit of The Truth I didn’t like. It felt very on the nose.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

I really like Angua as a character. But I was a bit sad to see that in the Postal film, she mostly just growls at people.

I like that they gave her a cameo, as IIRC she's not even in that book.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm up to Lords and Ladies right now and Moving Pictures was the most difficult to finish so far. Just was not very good.

yeah, it's not his best book

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

A Moose posted:

I like that they gave her a cameo, as IIRC she's not even in that book.

Well that's..... Better.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Boxturret posted:

I quite like the Going Postal adaptation for what it is, it's different from the book but still enjoyable. I watched the first part of the Hogfather the other day though and it isn't super great, I think if I hadn't read the book I'd have no idea what was going on at all.

It's a bit confusing, but there are parts of Hogfather where I think they really capture the spirit very well, it's a bit of an adaptation of parts.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
As someone who's dabbled in writing myself I feel absolutely certain that Sir Terry felt immense pride and satisfaction when he wrote the line "I'm going to see a dog about a man!" in The Truth.

In fact, part of me suspects he might have come up with that line first and then written the entire rest of the book in order to have a place to use it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Imagined posted:

As someone who's dabbled in writing myself I feel absolutely certain that Sir Terry felt immense pride and satisfaction when he wrote the line "I'm going to see a dog about a man!" in The Truth.

In fact, part of me suspects he might have come up with that line first and then written the entire rest of the book in order to have a place to use it.

I sort of wonder what he felt like his proudest accomplishment was:

A) Very very carefully arranging the word count through the entire book so that the reader would have to turn the page to read Azrael's answer in Reaper Man

or

B) Spending 130 pages of Jingo setting up multiple in-world elements of a foreign culture so that one character could casually turn to another and simultaneously make a lore-accurate obscure Vaudeville and Paul Simon reference?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

B) Spending 130 pages of Jingo setting up multiple in-world elements of a foreign culture so that one character could casually turn to another and simultaneously make a lore-accurate obscure Vaudeville and Paul Simon reference?

Gonna need some help with this one

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Call me Al? I 'ardly knew 'er!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Tree Bucket posted:

Gonna need some help with this one

The outfits Colon liberated belonged to Wilson, Keppel, and Betty.

And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Now I'm on Thief of Time. It's one I almost never hear anyone mention as a favorite or least favorite, but I'm really enjoying it. I think I really enjoy the jokes poking fun at the tropes of orientalism and kung-fu movies. I particularly love every Lu-Tze joke about 'is it not written...?' that then references something an old British landlady would say.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A fish!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imagined posted:

Now I'm on Thief of Time. It's one I almost never hear anyone mention as a favorite or least favorite, but I'm really enjoying it. I think I really enjoy the jokes poking fun at the tropes of orientalism and kung-fu movies. I particularly love every Lu-Tze joke about 'is it not written...?' that then references something an old British landlady would say.

Thief of Time is definitely my favourite individual novel.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Imagined posted:

It is an extremely complex novel and a genuine achievement. You can even forget that only one of the main characters actually qualifies as human. I think Nation is his best book, but Thief of Time is definitely in the running. Almost all of Pratchett's interests jammed into a single story, from the nature of the universe to commentary on museums and kinds of chocolate sweets.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think you're right about all of that. So far this is the one I'd recommend to anyone who wanted to only read one Pratchett novel (if Good Omens didn't count).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Going Postal, Thief of Time and I think The Truth were my first Pratchett novels and it was a very powerful combo.

Edit: Night Watch was in there somewhere too, I was just going by "whatever the local library had available"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Imagined posted:

I particularly love every Lu-Tze joke about 'is it not written...?' that then references something an old British landlady would say.

The way of Mrs. Cosmopilite!

And yeah I love Thief of Time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YggiDee posted:

I was just going by "whatever the local library had available"

IMO that's the way to reat Pratchett. Just bounce around all over the place peeking in on the universe at various times.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bruceski posted:

IMO that's the way to reat Pratchett. Just bounce around all over the place peeking in on the universe at various times.

No way, man. I know that's how a lot of us got into it just because it was kinda hard to find his books in the US, especially pre-internet when we were teenagers, but if I could do it over again I would definitely read at least the major series in order. Reading Feet of Clay and Lords and Ladies as my introduction to the Guards and Witches didn't do the earlier books any favors when I got around to them -- the stories themselves are pretty self-contained, but it was jarring to go from self-possessed Commander Vimes to the drunken Vimes picking himself out of the gutter, and it would have been nice to see the character development for Vimes and Carrot and Esme and Magrat progress naturally from beginning to end.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Publishing order or bust

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always an intriguing question, I like the sound of all the reading techniques. I'll probably mostly go in order-ish, at least for stuff like the City Watch etc. But with some jumping around a bit in the early years across the themes.

Started with Guards! Guards!, it really rocks. Very very smooth enjoyable read so far. So this one is a nice gateway for me.

I've got nostalgia for Rincewind and whatnot via the old adventure game and that movie, but this book grabbed me a lot more compared to Colour of Magic, when I tried that. But I like the idea of going back to try that again sometime. And I hear Light Fantastic is better, and some like Sourcery better and some like it less.

So for me, if I'm able to get into every book, and in order, I dig that it's a wise way. But I've gotta improvise a bit for my Discworld jamboree, and this method is book #8 first, and then maybe #4 (Mort) and maybe #5 (Sourcery). And maybe I'd pop #13 (Small Gods) on soon since people dig that a lot. Plus the Witches, and eager for the next City Watch one.

Kind of like when I describe the options of reading Judge Dredd (2000AD) to people. I love it enough to start in 1977 even with a rocky start, but I have alternate reading recs for people who might not have that route work for them.

I say we order... a pizza! And a figgin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Kind of like when I describe the options of reading Judge Dredd (2000AD) to people. I love it enough to start in 1977 even with a rocky start, but I have alternate reading recs for people who might not have that route work for them.

As the curator of the original Judge Thredd: the only reading route for Dredd starts with Case Files 5. It's got the Mega-Rackets to set up the world, all of the Apocalypse War arc apart from Pirates of the Black Atlantic which isn't really important, the last Bolland art and the debut of Steve Dillon. The only thing that might confuse you is not having read Judge Death before its sequel story. (Then you read America, because everyone should.)

For Pratchett it's a bit more complex. It's not about which book you read first but which series, because they really need to be read in order. The only exception I think is that Reaper Man can be read before Mort.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jedit posted:

As the curator of the original Judge Thredd: the only reading route for Dredd starts with Case Files 5. It's got the Mega-Rackets to set up the world, all of the Apocalypse War arc apart from Pirates of the Black Atlantic which isn't really important, the last Bolland art and the debut of Steve Dillon. The only thing that might confuse you is not having read Judge Death before its sequel story. (Then you read America, because everyone should.)

For Pratchett it's a bit more complex. It's not about which book you read first but which series, because they really need to be read in order. The only exception I think is that Reaper Man can be read before Mort.

That's the beauty of it, there's a way to do it for everybody. Whichever way keeps you interested and entertained pretty much. For anybody curious on Dredd here, my really really long takes on various angles of how to read Judge Dredd is on page 3 of that thread recently. To me skipping all the way to CF 5 is not the way to go there, but shows it's a good comparison, since people feel as passionately about Discworld reading order here. Always good to have JD fans in the house.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846145&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

My point on Dredd is, I dig starting at the very beginning, even though year 1 of the comic wasn't very good overall. Though had its moments. And some say that about the first few Discworld books. But Case Files 2 I recommend to everybody with a taste for the oldschool, The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died, oh lordy they're good times. And for folks less into that heightened retro comic style, there are other eras and places you could hop on, and some stuff from other writers you could skip etc. Sure can be a wild web to weave, but it is so worth it. Team Case Files 2 vs Case Files 5, it goes to show ya. Reading orders are wild stuff, especially for comics. :amen:

I can dig what you mean, for me, might as well read the various Discworld thematic series in order overall, to see character growth etc. But I'll skip around in various other ways to keep myself into it. But, some people can dig things out of chronological order, and kind of notice the various changes and evolution retroactively, slotting it into place in your brain. I was listening to podcasts with that guy who read 27,000 Marvel comics lately, Douglas Wolk, and he said something kind of like that. He read it out of order pretty much depending on what he was in the mood for etc. I think different people need different ways to stay engaged with a really big body of work. Plus there'll be varying percentage of stuff they might have skipped or didn't get to, and then you've got the diehards who took in the whole saga. A reading order for somebody who'll read say 15 books is not the same as somebody who'll read 41. And maybe they'll evolve from a 15 to a 35 along the way, who knows. It all sounds pretty good.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Jedit posted:

Yes, but she gets the work because sometimes someone who doesn't know "seamstresses" is a polite fiction comes to get their sewing done.

There's a good joke about why they're called the Seamstresses. It's because whenever someone asks why, the answer begins "Ahem".

A bit late on the seamstress discussion, but a funny thing is that you could have the exact same joke in Dutch and have it be a whole lot less subtle. In Dutch, 'naaien' (sewing) also has a meaning that's roughly equivalent to the English 'screwing' for sex. It can even be used in the same non-sexual context - 'Ik ben genaaid' being a straight translation to 'I've been screwed.' I've never read a Dutch translation of Discworld, but when I read about the Seamstress' Guild for the first time, I didn't even get the 'hem hem' joke, yet laughed anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's just been announced that to celebrate 50 years since Pterry first published fiction, there will be 40 new audio versions released in 2022 with Hogfather coming next month as a taster. Cast includes:

Bill Nighy as the Footnotes
Peter Serafinowicz as Death
Andy Serkis, Indira Varma and Sian Clifford as narrators.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Jedit posted:

It's just been announced that to celebrate 50 years since Pterry first published fiction, there will be 40 new audio versions released in 2022 with Hogfather coming next month as a taster. Cast includes:

Bill Nighy as the Footnotes
Peter Serafinowicz as Death
Andy Serkis, Indira Varma and Sian Clifford as narrators.

I am extremely here for this. :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

I am extremely here for this. :getin:

It looks like there will be a different Narrator for each sequence. Varma is doing the Witches books, which are due in April; Clifford is doing the Death books; Colin Morgan from Merlin is doing the Wizards books; and Serkis is just doing Small Gods. After that it's TBC.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The bar for Death is set pretty high, but there's room for multiple versions of each book, so all the better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

The bar for Death is set pretty high, but there's room for multiple versions of each book, so all the better.

When I get off work I'll dig out the 5 minute clip from Hogfather which has both Serafinowicz and Nighy in it. I'm not totally sold on Serafinowicz, to be honest - he has more of a gravelly sound than the heavy flat tone I associate with Death - but he's not terrible.

E: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/nov/16/bill-nighy-narrate-terry-pratchett-footnotes-new-discworld-recordings

The excerpt is embedded about halfway down the page.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 16, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Hopefully they'll be available in the US... Is there even a way to listen to the Discworld audiobooks in the US? I think some are available abridged or as an audio drama?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Audible has them, but last time I checked they were noticeably bad recordings (strongly compressed from back in the days when Audible had four different file formats, and never updated). Mysteriously, audible.co.uk had much better files. Not sure if that's changed!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

When I get off work I'll dig out the 5 minute clip from Hogfather which has both Serafinowicz and Nighy in it. I'm not totally sold on Serafinowicz, to be honest - he has more of a gravelly sound than the heavy flat tone I associate with Death - but he's not terrible.

E: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/nov/16/bill-nighy-narrate-terry-pratchett-footnotes-new-discworld-recordings

The excerpt is embedded about halfway down the page.

Serafinowicz has a bit more expressiveness, which does work for me, but I agree, the heaviness just isn't present. Not as sepulchral as the other Death versions. Then again, I wouldn't want to compete with Ian Richardson or Christopher Lee, so taking a different approach is pretty much the only alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bill Nighy as the footnotes is awesome, nice touch.

Random Nighy note, saw that movie Wild Target lately. Top tier Nighy.