Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Denmark: 3899 cases and local elections are being held across the country today (safely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Interment*

Unless the lady is being held in extrajudicial detention, in which case maybe it's both

Huh, I would have made the same mistake. Never realized it was two different words. TIL!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mycomancy posted:

My 88 year old grandmother is either dead or will be soon. I'm torn as to what to do about the funeral, as I believe it will take place in my dump of a hometown in the Missouri Ozarks, aka Delta wave ground zero. Going from East Tennessee to there is like an 8 hour drive, so I'm considering flying to St. Louis and renting a car.

Any goons who've flown recently, how much hell have you caught from wearing a respirator in an airport?
you’ll be made to wear a mask without an exhaust valve on the airplane, and POTENTIALLY by TSA during identify check

otherwise, no one will say anything because you’ll see the most amazing assortment of mask solutions while in the airport, along with the widest variety of behaviors vis a vis taking them off and on

just drive if it’s 8 hours, especially if it’s next week

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not American, but we do have some turkeys available in our local supermarket's imported section. I've roasted whole chickens in an oven before - I'd brine them overnight in a mixture of salt and soy sauce and dump some salt and pepper inside the chicken before putting them in the oven and that seemed to turn out well enough.

I'd like to try cooking a turkey, just to see what it's like and maybe to fancy up our dinner one of these days even if we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving. What's an easy recipe to work with?

i use a brine with salt, a lot of wine or a little vinegar, apple or orange juice, pepper, maybe some cinnamon and allspice, rinse and dry it after brining, coat with oil salt and pepper then roast or smoke it

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

Denmark: 3899 cases and local elections are being held across the country today (safely).

Hopefully after elections the government won't feel its hands are tied re: restrictions.

I know, I know, let me have this the rest of the day at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Forseti posted:

8 hour drive probably isn't wildly longer than the whole ordeal of getting to the airport with plenty of time and flying to StL then driving from there (which I'm guessing would still be another 1.5 hours or so?). I'd definitely drive myself, but I would have said that even before COVID because I loving hate flying. Except for the part where you actually fly anyway.

Edit: God drat it must be cool to live in a country that has trains :(

8 hours isn't bad, just save up your podcasts for a week, and hit the road. It's how I visited my parents in the before times. When you add it up, 45 minutes to the airport, 2 hours at the airport, 2 hour flight, plus another 1.5 hours drive to my parents house. Then round up for all the other hassles, it comes to about 7 hours for me to fly, vs. 8 for me to drive. It's also faster on the way back because I leave early enough in the morning to miss all the DC traffic.

Of course all of this is assuming there aren't any issues, no one wants to be stuck in an airport for 6 hours due to something like engine repairs. At the very least on a drive, Google Maps can reroute you in real time.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Slider posted:

was i destined to doompost on a gay internet comedy forum forevermore?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Come back when you have twice that number, kid.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Maybe I'll take a few pulls off the 'ol sheep drench bottle, I'm fairly certain I have a terminal case of brain worms

https://www.insider.com/man-had-tapeworm-in-his-brain-years-had-seizures-hospitalized-2021-11

quote:

Doctors who treated a man hospitalized with seizures, disorientation, and strange behavior said tapeworms had been living in his brain for years undetected, according to a case study published Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

The 38-year-old man appeared to be in perfect health until one night when his wife awoke to find him on the floor, shaking and "speaking gibberish," according to the case report.

He was hospitalized, and doctors treated him for a seizure, noting that he was unresponsive to questions and seemed to be involuntarily gazing at the ceiling.

The man had no notable history of illness, no medication or drug use, and no symptoms until the seizures, his family told doctors.

The medical team at Massachusetts General Hospital eventually provided a diagnosis of cysticercosis, otherwise known as a tapeworm infection, which was confirmed via brain scans and blood testing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

Come back when you have twice that number, kid.

Alright, talk to you in two weeks.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

8 hours isn't bad, just save up your podcasts for a week, and hit the road. It's how I visited my parents in the before times. When you add it up, 45 minutes to the airport, 2 hours at the airport, 2 hour flight, plus another 1.5 hours drive to my parents house. Then round up for all the other hassles, it comes to about 7 hours for me to fly, vs. 8 for me to drive. It's also faster on the way back because I leave early enough in the morning to miss all the DC traffic.

Of course all of this is assuming there aren't any issues, no one wants to be stuck in an airport for 6 hours due to something like engine repairs. At the very least on a drive, Google Maps can reroute you in real time.

Oh, forgot to mention that if I go, that means likely bringing my wife and two small children with me, one of whom has yet to get vaccinated.

Uggggggh I've got too much to do to worry about this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mycomancy posted:

Oh, forgot to mention that if I go, that means likely bringing my wife and two small children with me, one of whom has yet to get vaccinated.

Why? Do you also take them to the grocery store? Just have them stay home if you go

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Why? Do you also take them to the grocery store? Just have them stay home if you go

Do I take them to the grocery store? Hell no. Also that's insanely different than traveling across time zones with children. As for them leaving, if my wife feels like she needs to go I'm not gonna stop her, that'd be cruel.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

facetoucher cat posted:

Maybe I'll take a few pulls off the 'ol sheep drench bottle, I'm fairly certain I have a terminal case of brain worms

https://www.insider.com/man-had-tapeworm-in-his-brain-years-had-seizures-hospitalized-2021-11

:stare:

loving hell, I didn't even know that was possible. Did that dude just like to snort poop or something?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Another holiday season, another wave of family guilt. Everyone flying in for Thanksgiving this week and my parents still have covid from their last trip I'm pretty sure. Dad vaccinated, mom not and he's the one who actually had symptoms. Debating whether I'm even going to try to meet outside.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

updated my journal

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

mycomancy posted:

Sorry about your gma

I go on fairly lengthy drives all the time, across state lines, and have been on the roads for as much as 10 hours in a day as recently as this past weekend. Getting gas is easy enough bc you can pay outside and you can bring your own food but when nature calls you generally don't want to just poop in the woods along the side of the road. This means going into truck stop bathrooms without a suck n gently caress, it's pretty devastating. That aside kids are not good to have at funerals imo

Get the biggest standing flower arrangement you can made up of your gma's fav flowers or color to have on display at the funeral. As another goon mentioned funerals are not for the dead, they're for the living. You or one of your kids could potentially be in the former if you attend a funeral with a lot of hugging, crying, people taking off their mask to blow their nose or eat

If you feel closure is necessary having a small personal memorial service at home with your immediate family talking about the good times y'all had with her then visiting her resting site when the country isn't so contagious could be an option

Once again, sorry about your gma

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Forseti posted:

8 hour drive probably isn't wildly longer than the whole ordeal of getting to the airport with plenty of time and flying to StL then driving from there (which I'm guessing would still be another 1.5 hours or so?). I'd definitely drive myself, but I would have said that even before COVID because I loving hate flying. Except for the part where you actually fly anyway.

Edit: God drat it must be cool to live in a country that has trains :(

Man the days before the TSA and poo poo got out of control was nice. I used to live about 5 minutes from Dulles, (in an apartment complex near that pyramid thing on the toll road) and could catch a cab about 20 minutes before boarding and just walk through and onto the plane with a couple minutes to spare.
Think it's clear by now Americans would trade a couple hijackings a decade for flying not being total poo poo if they'll accept hundreds of thousands dying so they can gently caress an Applebee's

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

61% of Copenhagen schools have outbreaks right now and they're almost entirely responsible for the wave, but today we're treated to an opinion piece front and center in a large newspaper about how another closure would violate the UN Convention on Rights of the Child. gently caress these people.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

SplitSoul posted:

61% of Copenhagen schools have outbreaks right now and they're almost entirely responsible for the wave, but today we're treated to an opinion piece front and center in a large newspaper about how another closure would violate the UN Convention on Rights of the Child. gently caress these people.

Can someone tell these cases of brain damage that violating the right to life of a child is far loving worse than their idiotic notions of lockdowns "violating the rights of a child?"
:piss: :d2a:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

little burgers with eyelashes and a bow

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I got my blood drawn yesterday as part of an ongoing antibody study. I last had it done 3 months ago which was about a month before I was boosted so I should know how a booster affected my titers 2 months out.

hopefully number go up!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

A bit of a weird omission on the UN's part, not including the right to not die or get maimed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The UN Convention on Rights of the Chud

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

i wish the government would fill me full of pink sludge tbh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mystes posted:

The Southern Baptist Convention on Rights of the Chud

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

SplitSoul posted:

I didn't have kids for many reasons but one of the main ones being I knew/know I couldn't give a child everything they needed to be less of a gently caress up than I am. I'm fairly certain a good majority of these people genuinely dislike their kids and that breaks my heart

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

A bit of a weird omission on the UN's part, not including the right to not die or get maimed.

Uh, excuse me, the author is a licensed psychologist, I think she knows what she's talking about.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

think i just had a massive crack ping in anticipation of the winter wave. but then my brain came around and reassured me of myself. cool

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Uh, excuse me, the author is a licensed psychologist, I think she knows what she's talking about.

You are right, this part where she references as authoritative a think tank she herself is a part of, convinced me:

quote:

Children and adolescents do not become seriously ill from COVID-19 and an analysis by the medical think tank Atlas shows that school closures cannot be expected to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Shutting down young people's lives is therefore a useless violation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Shutting down not only deprives young people of quality of life here and now, which in itself is serious enough. Another closure entails a significant risk of also damaging the future of the individual young person and the society of the future, which is due to the fact that those who are young now have optimal conditions for developing healthy and robust nervous systems.

In my feeble unlicensed psychologist mind, 704 people below 20 having been hospitalized and 3 dead, seemed high. But if school closings cannot categorically stop the spread of the virus, I guess she has a point.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
lol that writing is loving atrocious wtf are they talking about developing nervous systems. I think I missed the epidemic of underdeveloped nervous systems from last year school closures due to sub optimal conditions.

So sick of the constant inversion of common sense and community norms. It's a violation of kids human rights to close schools, but not a violation to spread covid to those who are vulnerable while in school.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
holy poo poo, the flu just loving ripping through UM Ann Arbor

528 cases, 313 from just last week

H3N2 is going to have a party this year

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Actually, did we have any good recent papers on long covid? As I remember it the percentage seemed to be pretty high until at least early this year, but the latest results were not as alarming?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao Michigan what are you doing

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Pingui posted:

Good coping mechanism. Let us know when you should be added to the spreadsheet.

lololol

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Forseti posted:

:stare:

loving hell, I didn't even know that was possible. Did that dude just like to snort poop or something?

tapeworm larvae can migrate to the brain and then form cysts. it's called neurocysticercosis.

parasites are cool af.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
good lord, one of the kids in my kids remote school was supposed to have his last day yesterday and showed back up - his dad caught covid 10 days ago, and his mom tested positive this morning. so he's getting 20 days of quarantine from school, potentially more if he/his sister test positive.

I'd discussed this issue with some other people last night and how frustrating things were even with vaccines and how I felt like just not testing at all anymore and sending the kid to school to avoid quarantine. A lot of other parents said they absolutely understood and were in the same mindset. What's extra ridiculous is my kid and this kid are in the same neighborhood and as far as we know are the only kindergarteners quarantined in the whole school district, so I bet the non testing is absolutely happening.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1460615935321165834?t=_zlT04RlkeyZdHf7oQb9Iw&s=19

I don't know what's wrong with me but when I see stuff like this I start singing 'It's Raining Men' in my head

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not American, but we do have some turkeys available in our local supermarket's imported section. I've roasted whole chickens in an oven before - I'd brine them overnight in a mixture of salt and soy sauce and dump some salt and pepper inside the chicken before putting them in the oven and that seemed to turn out well enough.

I'd like to try cooking a turkey, just to see what it's like and maybe to fancy up our dinner one of these days even if we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving. What's an easy recipe to work with?

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/four-day-dry-brined-turkey-recipe

Turkey is awful but this is my go to recipe, I'll never make anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

lmao Michigan what are you doing

Not faking their numbers enough?

Strep Vote posted:

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/four-day-dry-brined-turkey-recipe

Turkey is awful but this is my go to recipe, I'll never make anything else.

Why not make something better instead of turkey?