Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm just chuckling that anyone other than vaguely Indian accented MSP recruiters use linkedin to try to sucker out of work/foolish IT workers. At least that's all I've ever gotten as a call or contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've gotten two not-MSP jobs in the last 4 years through LinkedIn people chatting me up. One was AWS.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

orange juche posted:

I'm just chuckling that anyone other than vaguely Indian accented MSP recruiters use linkedin to try to sucker out of work/foolish IT workers. At least that's all I've ever gotten as a call or contact.

Linkedin is by far the best leads I have gotten. It’s also responsible for my last 4 jobs and twice as many offers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I guess it probably helps I'm doing cleared work with all the bs that entails, and also the de facto golden handcuffs that come from if I were to exit the cleared IT segment. What I'm doing would probably be paid at half the rate I am making, if I weren't shackled to the government. Almost all the offers I've gotten that haven't been from an MSP have gotten really skittish when it comes to discussing salary and they realize that they're not willing to come off more than 60-70% of my current salary, let alone a raise.

On the upside, I wouldn't have to get investigated every few years, on the downside, major pay cut.

I don't really put any effort into my linkedin because of the low quality of contacts I've gotten from it, not necessarily in the quality of job, but in the fact that there's a roughly 50-60k pay gap between what they want to offer and what I'm making currently. If work dries up, yeah I'll start updating it and seriously chase stuff on it, but for now, not much point.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 16, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve gotten multiple interviews from LinkedIn recruiters and it’s directly responsible for me breaking in to the six figgie piggie club

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Oink oink fellow LinkedIn six figgie piggie friend :hfive:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got some great help from Happiness Commando and others that's likely led me to getting an interview for an associate cloud engineer position. It'd be over double what I make right now and I'm currently making more than I ever so... yeah I am excited :)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

orange juche posted:

I don't really put any effort into my linkedin because of the low quality of contacts I've gotten from it, not necessarily in the quality of job, but in the fact that there's a roughly 50-60k pay gap between what they want to offer and what I'm making currently. If work dries up, yeah I'll start updating it and seriously chase stuff on it, but for now, not much point.

As another member of the six-fig club directly because of LinkedIn, I'd suspect there's two correlations in the bolded part.

Literally every job I've had in the last decade has come pretty much directly from recruiters on LinkedIn reaching out to me. I do the work on making my profile attractive (with all the buzzwords and skills I care about), and let the recruiters do some self-selection on the front end. Then I break hearts and demand numbers in the InMails.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My current job came from Linkedin, and I've been with the company for 5 years and gone through it going public. Sitting on 150k of pure profit in startup stock, and it's still growing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My given name is medium-high femme, and my LinkedIn photo is not terribly gender specific. Maybe updating the photo kicks the algorithm into gear? I dunno, since I updated mine a year or so ago, I get about 70% bullshit contract offers and/or offers for a help desk job at the company I work for, and the rest legit and worth following up, since I set my profile to “looking.”

I have a skills interview tomorrow with a company that’s willing to pay me a lot more than the current one, along with appending “senior” to my title. I like easy mode IT, but I can’t count on my pay rate to keep me alive on a single income forever…

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This last job hop I worked on completely filling out my LinkedIn, nice professional photo, bullet point accomplishments for jobs, certs, buzzword bingo skills listing, etc.

It made a HUGE difference. I work in the trendy cloud security sector so your mileage may vary, but I got a ton of recruiter hits, and ended up getting 3 offers from companies all from LinkedIn. Might not be worthwhile if you're just starting out in the HelpDesk world for example but it cant hurt, and will be useful for you down the line in your career.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm just going to put the word 'cloud' in one of my job descriptions and see what happens.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So after only getting two hits from recruiters in the last two weeks I've gotten 4 this morning alone. And they're all over six figures. I don't know if I actually qualify for these jobs, do recruiters just shotgun interest out there even if people aren't qualified?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cage-free egghead posted:

And they're all over six figures. I don't know if I actually qualify for these jobs, do recruiters just shotgun interest out there even if people aren't qualified?

Don't tell them that. Ask when can you start.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So after only getting two hits from recruiters in the last two weeks I've gotten 4 this morning alone. And they're all over six figures. I don't know if I actually qualify for these jobs, do recruiters just shotgun interest out there even if people aren't qualified?

Apply, apply, apply, apply. You are almost certainly capable of doing those jobs. Recruiters are desperate right now and they never were good at judging skill level, but that's besides the point. Take the job, take the money.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I interviewed for a position I was wildly unqualified for, but had a very nice chat with the first IT hire at [˘ompany], who then referred me to a recruiter in another department that my skill set fits better. He even gave me some resources for getting up to speed on positions in his department should I want to reapply later on.

I have interview 2 out of 3 today with the more suitable team :dance:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This last job hop I worked on completely filling out my LinkedIn, nice professional photo, bullet point accomplishments for jobs, certs, buzzword bingo skills listing, etc.

It made a HUGE difference. I work in the trendy cloud security sector so your mileage may vary, but I got a ton of recruiter hits, and ended up getting 3 offers from companies all from LinkedIn. Might not be worthwhile if you're just starting out in the HelpDesk world for example but it cant hurt, and will be useful for you down the line in your career.
Getting some AWS and Azure certs under my belt so I can poke at the security better is an eventual goal for me.

I find what *really* gets a lot of interest from random recruiters is just throwing Splunk into my LinkedIn though. I used it for all of five minutes, but hey.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arquinsiel posted:

Getting some AWS and Azure certs under my belt so I can poke at the security better is an eventual goal for me.

I find what *really* gets a lot of interest from random recruiters is just throwing Splunk into my LinkedIn though. I used it for all of five minutes, but hey.

I never heard of Splunk until I started flipping through DOD-type job postings.

For those that have used it in the context of infosec, is it something that is self-teachable? At least enough to throw on a resume?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Hughmoris posted:

For those that have used it in the context of infosec, is it something that is self-teachable? At least enough to throw on a resume?

The little bits I've touched have been in private sector, and it wasn't difficult. The hard part for me was wrangling our poorly implemented Splunk instance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

You could totally learn the syntax, how to search logs, make nice saved searches, etc. Enough to be competent starting at a new place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You could totally learn the syntax, how to search logs, make nice saved searches, etc. Enough to be competent starting at a new place.
This. Think of it as a query language for a lovely SIEM that doesn't collate alerts for you. It's crazy powerful, but you need to know how to ask nicely. It's also a 100% transferrable skillset for any data analysis you happen to want to do, so you'll get randos asking you to come Splunk for trading houses or manufacturing or whatever.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Figuring out if you're not qualified is the recruiting organization's job.

Don't do their job for them.

That established, throw a customized resume to anyone that that seriously wants one. Either you're a good fit, and they'll pay you lots of money (but still potentially less than you're actually worth), or one/both parties will figure it's not a good fit, or as Dirt Road Junglist shows, they know somewhere you will be a good fit.

Any interview can be useful, and not just for the purpose of a new position. Being comfortable interviewing is good, and practicing being interviewed is good! Remember that interviews are a two-way street: You're investigating them as much as they are you. Know how to spot the red flags.

Don't be afraid to bail out. If something isn't right, pull the ripcord. Being able to graciously bow out of consideration is an important skill, too.

Also, I keep a list of automatic "Thank you for consideration, but I'm not interested" reasons. For me they're Contract Positions (even CtH), anything that's not permanently WfH, and certain industries. If the recruiter won't give a comp range, I'm going to assume that it's embarrassing and not worth considering.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Don't be afraid to bail out. If something isn't right, pull the ripcord. Being able to graciously bow out of consideration is an important skill, too.
I got approached for some cryptocurrency startup in London a while back.

I can't honestly say I bowed out graciously though :shrug:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I got approached for some cryptocurrency startup in London a while back.

I can't honestly say I bowed out graciously though :shrug:

There's a sliding scale of graciousness. :colbert:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Apparently last night, at 2 locations last night, they said they had power hits due to a storm rolling through. A few machines apparently dropped off the network due to power hits. I didn't know this, as I don't give a poo poo about user computers.
So this morning, first ticket comes in, and its sent right to the networking team. Ticket simply mentions: Branch has computers that are down after branch network went down.

I look at the location, no outages reported. All our devices show up, no power hits on our equipment. I can even ping the computers listed. So I send the ticket back with "Circuit looks up, branch devices are up, I can ping computers."

Ticket returns: Branch is still down.

I repeat first message. Send back.

Ticket returns again. They went into the server room, there is a red light on a UPS, that must be the problem.

I log into the UPS. UPS says its currently fine, shows that one of the batteries is bad, but the main one is good. Also, none of the network equipment has lost power. All show no drops. I note this in the ticket. Send back.

Ticket returns 3 minutes later. Comment: Is networking not responsible for that equipment, there is a RED light.

I send it back. That doesn't matter, you need to send this to another team to look at the computers.

Ticket stays gone for awhile. Comes back "Well this location lost power last night, but only on the PCs. Here is this email stating this even though we've had it for 5 hours and didn't share."

I send it back with "That is great, but again, doesn't really matter because that is on a PC."

Next time I hear about this, I'm being drug into a call with almost every IT manager talking over each other and most of them are stuck on some bizarre thing and won't let go. I'm on hour 2 of this call.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

That established, throw a customized resume to anyone that that seriously wants one. Either you're a good fit, and they'll pay you lots of money (but still potentially less than you're actually worth), or one/both parties will figure it's not a good fit, or as Dirt Road Junglist shows, they know somewhere you will be a good fit.

Any interview can be useful, and not just for the purpose of a new position. Being comfortable interviewing is good, and practicing being interviewed is good! Remember that interviews are a two-way street: You're investigating them as much as they are you. Know how to spot the red flags.

Also, I keep a list of automatic "Thank you for consideration, but I'm not interested" reasons. For me they're Contract Positions (even CtH), anything that's not permanently WfH, and certain industries. If the recruiter won't give a comp range, I'm going to assume that it's embarrassing and not worth considering.

Really appreciate the advice here. A part of me does feel that guilt like, "Well geez I'm not sure I'm qualified maybe I should tell..." but then again you're right, I only need to do MY homework. I am meticulous about the companies I work for. Mostly just vet them hard on work/life balance, education reimbursement, on-call policies, etc.

What do you mean throw a customized resume out? Mine is pretty straight forward and the stuff I want to apply for are simply listed as technical skills since yes I have used them before either in my homelab or during school.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CitizenKain posted:

Apparently last night, at 2 locations last night, they said they had power hits due to a storm rolling through. A few machines apparently dropped off the network due to power hits. I didn't know this, as I don't give a poo poo about user computers.
So this morning, first ticket comes in, and its sent right to the networking team. Ticket simply mentions: Branch has computers that are down after branch network went down.

I look at the location, no outages reported. All our devices show up, no power hits on our equipment. I can even ping the computers listed. So I send the ticket back with "Circuit looks up, branch devices are up, I can ping computers."

Ticket returns: Branch is still down.

I repeat first message. Send back.

Ticket returns again. They went into the server room, there is a red light on a UPS, that must be the problem.

I log into the UPS. UPS says its currently fine, shows that one of the batteries is bad, but the main one is good. Also, none of the network equipment has lost power. All show no drops. I note this in the ticket. Send back.

Ticket returns 3 minutes later. Comment: Is networking not responsible for that equipment, there is a RED light.

I send it back. That doesn't matter, you need to send this to another team to look at the computers.

Ticket stays gone for awhile. Comes back "Well this location lost power last night, but only on the PCs. Here is this email stating this even though we've had it for 5 hours and didn't share."

I send it back with "That is great, but again, doesn't really matter because that is on a PC."

Next time I hear about this, I'm being drug into a call with almost every IT manager talking over each other and most of them are stuck on some bizarre thing and won't let go. I'm on hour 2 of this call.

Please tell me it was resolved with a reboot of the affected PC

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Really appreciate the advice here. A part of me does feel that guilt like, "Well geez I'm not sure I'm qualified maybe I should tell..." but then again you're right, I only need to do MY homework. I am meticulous about the companies I work for. Mostly just vet them hard on work/life balance, education reimbursement, on-call policies, etc.

What do you mean throw a customized resume out? Mine is pretty straight forward and the stuff I want to apply for are simply listed as technical skills since yes I have used them before either in my homelab or during school.

Part of your initial research for the organization should be a text copy of the job description. From the description, you'll want to find some key words and phrases. Do the same thing you did for high school essays: Use those phrases liberally in your own submission.

This doesn't mean just copy and paste them directly. Let's say the JD says "We need someone to manage 5,000 Windows endpoints with Intune and Sophos." Your existing bullet-point might be "Secured and administered 2,000 Windows desktops using Intune and Kaspersky." Rewrite it to "Managed 2,000 Windows Endpoints with Intune and Kaspersky". Keep the TRUTH of the point while mimicking their PHRASING. You should be able to draw a straight line from what they want and what you offer.

Customizing will also mean highlighting the skillset listed in the JD and by the recruiter. If you're good on mobile devices and email management, give more weight and bullet-points to your iPhone/Android skills if they're asking for Intune hands. If the JD wants Azure experience, you can bet I'm going to rearraign my bullet-points with Azure at the the top and CyberArk below that.

Beyond that, I'll often dig into the company website to find mission statements and organizational goals to relate to in my resume or cover letter (if necessary).

Honestly, even with the experience and "library" of existing bullet points I budget about an hour or so to tweak a resume for a job I'm really interested in. Each application/resume gets its own folder where I store a copy of the job description and any other supporting documents. Here's another hint: You can take that JD to help flesh out your next LinkedIn entry.

A lot of this is liberally borrowed from Ramit Sethi's Briefcase Technique, and tweaked for the more technical nature of jobs I'm actually interested in.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Part of your initial research for the organization should be a text copy of the job description. From the description, you'll want to find some key words and phrases. Do the same thing you did for high school essays: Use those phrases liberally in your own submission.

This doesn't mean just copy and paste them directly. Let's say the JD says "We need someone to manage 5,000 Windows endpoints with Intune and Sophos." Your existing bullet-point might be "Secured and administered 2,000 Windows desktops using Intune and Kaspersky." Rewrite it to "Managed 2,000 Windows Endpoints with Intune and Kaspersky". Keep the TRUTH of the point while mimicking their PHRASING. You should be able to draw a straight line from what they want and what you offer.

Customizing will also mean highlighting the skillset listed in the JD and by the recruiter. If you're good on mobile devices and email management, give more weight and bullet-points to your iPhone/Android skills if they're asking for Intune hands. If the JD wants Azure experience, you can bet I'm going to rearraign my bullet-points with Azure at the the top and CyberArk below that.

Beyond that, I'll often dig into the company website to find mission statements and organizational goals to relate to in my resume or cover letter (if necessary).

Honestly, even with the experience and "library" of existing bullet points I budget about an hour or so to tweak a resume for a job I'm really interested in. Each application/resume gets its own folder where I store a copy of the job description and any other supporting documents. Here's another hint: You can take that JD to help flesh out your next LinkedIn entry.

A lot of this is liberally borrowed from Ramit Sethi's Briefcase Technique, and tweaked for the more technical nature of jobs I'm actually interested in.

Awesome, this is all great info that I never thought of, especially saving JDs.

Do you still abide by the general resume layout by doing your contact info, job history/descriptions, education, certs, anything else kind of in that order?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ugh. gently caress LAX. That's all I've got for the moment.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Awesome, this is all great info that I never thought of, especially saving JDs.

Do you still abide by the general resume layout by doing your contact info, job history/descriptions, education, certs, anything else kind of in that order?

I keep mine even simpler than that. Header with my name big and bold, then phone number, email address, and LinkedIn URL. A short paragraph about the work I like, a table for technical skills/keywords, then all the work details. I don't even list certs or degrees at this point.

One of the tools I was taught for writing essays was "Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em. Tell 'em. Tell 'em what you told them." I use an even simpler mantra for my resume: "Tell 'em what you're gonna do. Tell 'em what you done." How am I gonna make your life better or easier? And why should you believe me when I say I'm gonna make your life better or easier? Oh yea, hard numbers. How many servers did you manage? How many work-hours did your automation save? How much money did you save the business by automating things? You didn't administer Windows servers, you administered 500 Windows servers. You saved 40 work-hours a month by automating certain reports. You saved the business $10,000 a quarter by automating license revocation in Adobe.

I'm also ruthless about keeping the PDF resume to two pages. Older stuff gets pruned or dropped entirely when it's no longer relevant. Nobody cares that I managed and retired a BES server in 2012. They do care that I automated deployment and reporting on Azure MFA in 2020. If you really wanna wax poetic about the two dozen NT server farm you managed in 1999, you can keep it on the bottom of your LinkedIn experience.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 17, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ugh. gently caress LAX. That's all I've got for the moment.

luminalflux posted:

Burbank is the pro airport to fly in and out of if you can swing it

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Please tell me it was resolved with a reboot of the affected PC

I wish. I think it is something to do with some profiles got hosed and its mucking up something with Ivanti. But, since I have 0 insight into that, all I can see is its on the network and traffic isn't being blocked.
What I don't understand is why all the people who needed to be in on this weren't. Its a bunch of managers, some network people and a security person. Windows admins? Desktop admins? None there.

But good news, they found a work around that sometimes works, and now I am volunteered to stay in a conference bridge tomorrow to help walk people through it. Why not the help desk? No idea.

One spot of good news, my 3070TI arrived, and weeeeeee.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's the network.

It's always the network.

And if it is a network problem, then it's someone else's network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone managed to hose one of our Google Shared drives today by dragging things around without looking, and since nothing was deleted that means there's nothing that Google's built-in tools can do about it.

I've seen loads of backup products for :yaycloud: but really in this case I think we only need to keep track of what objects were named and what 'folders' they were in, and keeping a 20TB backup somewhere else is overkill compared to the value of the data.

Do any of the backup products just keep track of this type of information and would let me roll back large rename or move operations? This should get the volume of data stored down to a couple GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Talked to the most useless recruiter yesterday.

She reached out to me a week about about a network job in the area. She's all excited because she finally found someone in the city they are in and they want someone on-site.

I asked about the pay and what company it was at (they are a big name contracting place).

"It's in the email I sent you"

Does she think LinkedIn messages are 'email'?

I told her I looked and didn't see poo poo.

"Well the company is XYZ. Sometimes we don't put the pay in there."

Okay so where would I actually be going on-site?

Won't tell me.

"So the pay is 80-160k, that's a big range. I'm on your side and will try to get you whatever you ask for"

She starts asking me dumb questions like "how many years experience do you have doing data and voice moves"

"Both data and voice?"

So then she says ooops that was for a unix job that's remote. This job only pays $60-85k

I told her I'm not really interested in that job at that pay rate but I'm all for the unix job.

She won't get off the network job though. Then she tells me there's no way I can get any higher pay for that. Then tells me about the AMAZING BENEFITS and then says you can't have the high pay and the great benefits and the whole reason she works there is the great benefits.

Then she tells me she has a stack of more qualified people willing to take the job for the lower end of the pay scale.

Thanks for your time, lady!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Recruiters are kinda poo poo for the most part.

But they also have to deal with hiring folks with wildly unreasonable expectations. I still laugh about the call I got for an AIX engineer in NYC. No remote. Relocation not paid for. $88k/yr.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The most useless recruiter.

Eh, I guess I'm okay with "LinkedIn message" and "email" being functionally interchangeable. But equivocation on the end company or compensation gets ghosted. And any kind of contract/not full-time employee role gets a firm "Thanks but no thanks".

AlexDeGruven posted:

Recruiters are kinda poo poo for the most part.

But they also have to deal with hiring folks with wildly unreasonable expectations. I still laugh about the call I got for an AIX engineer in NYC. No remote. Relocation not paid for. $88k/yr.

I still fondly remember the time a recruiter wanted to talk to me about a six-month contract managing Blackberry Enterprise Servers in New Jersey. Note: I do not live in New Jersey.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I live on Long Island and routinely get recruiters reaching out to me for jobs in Stamford, CT.

I mean yeah it's sorta close enough if you draw a straight line...through the Long Island Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Your resume doesn't reflect that experience. Looks great for network engineer though"

I AM NOT TAKING THE NETWORK ENGINEER JOB

I don't even have a CCNA

However I do have experience with Python, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Git, Docker, VMware, Linux, MySQL, and Windows server but I'm not suited for any development or devops jobs. :haw: