Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

LLSix posted:

I was reading a proglit story recently where the stats came from nanites. I really like that idea. Can anyone recommend good stories that use that concept? Or play with the source of stats in interesting ways?

Beware of Chicken, since the start of the tournament arc, has read to me like an author struggling to write something he's not very interested in. Which is weird, because he's always done classical style xianxia fights for the animal perspective segments. So it's not like he can't write that way. But he's said a lot recently that he was struggling in his author notes and the story keeps going off on weird tangents.

I’m writing a tournament ish arc for one of mine and it’s the finale and yeah it’s a bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did Beware of Chicken ever get more editing? I quit a while back when several chapters were riddled with typos.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

LLSix posted:

I was reading a proglit story recently where the stats came from nanites. I really like that idea. Can anyone recommend good stories that use that concept? Or play with the source of stats in interesting ways?

Beware of Chicken, since the start of the tournament arc, has read to me like an author struggling to write something he's not very interested in. Which is weird, because he's always done classical style xianxia fights for the animal perspective segments. So it's not like he can't write that way. But he's said a lot recently that he was struggling in his author notes and the story keeps going off on weird tangents.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28254/nanocultivation-chronicles-trials-of-lilijoy

Abandoned now I think but it was pretty chill for a long while.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
So I have started reading new serial on RR - another apocalypse LitRPG, but this one comes with an actual twist. The protagonist of Apocalypse Parenting is a parent of three children. There is not much of the story so far, but what is there is fairly competent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Did Beware of Chicken ever get more editing? I quit a while back when several chapters were riddled with typos.

That's the nature of the beast - you're getting them fresh out of the oven. Thorough copyediting is gonna happen for the inevitable Amazon release.

That said, I think there are slightly fewer typos now, since people catch a bunch of them when the chapters are first posted on Patreon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i decided to read ahead on patreon this month for beware of chicken since i was impatient to read the resolution of jin getting a letter from gramps and i won't spoil anything about the upcoming couple of chapters but they feel like a return to form imo. i think it's sort of the nature of a tournament arc that if we don't already know most of the participants going in, the first few rounds aren't usually very hype since it's a lot of faceless or at least brand-new characters getting their asses kicked.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD 43: So now we know that apparently some clerics of Garos symmetricalize themselves to the point of adding extra limbs, which is mildly horrifying.

Discussion of the Editors reminds of the end of Worth the Candle a bit, like what would happen if Juniper could change some things for the better but was far from all powerful.

My understanding of that was that it was actually just the clothes that were altered, not the body and Hanna thinks it looks ridiculous and try-hard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

navyjack posted:

My understanding of that was that it was actually just the clothes that were altered, not the body and Hanna thinks it looks ridiculous and try-hard.

I'm 99% sure this is what was meant. I don't think clerics of Garos can make a human radially symmetrical, only enhance existing bilateral symmetry. We just aren't shaped that way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jazerus posted:

i decided to read ahead on patreon this month for beware of chicken since i was impatient to read the resolution of jin getting a letter from gramps and i won't spoil anything about the upcoming couple of chapters but they feel like a return to form imo. i think it's sort of the nature of a tournament arc that if we don't already know most of the participants going in, the first few rounds aren't usually very hype since it's a lot of faceless or at least brand-new characters getting their asses kicked.
Cradle's tournament arc was dope all the way through imo. The author had the first couple rounds be of a non standard format -- a series of solo trials and a battle royale-ish thing -- which helped a lot I think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

navyjack posted:

I don't see how that makes sense given the quote:

quote:

Wearing an outfit with sleeves at the front and back as well as the sides simply looked silly, if you weren’t going to go to the trouble of having a truly symmetrical body.
So it sounds like an outfit with extra sleeves doesn't look silly if you DO have a truly symmetrical body, which means extra limbs.

Otherwise I don't see how less extreme symmetricalizing would help a robe with more arm sleeves look less silly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon:
"Now this was, uh, scull-racing" Booooooooooo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New TWI: ......

Well, I got a hearty chuckle out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked the recent PracGuide chapter. Kind of feel bad for Alaya even though she absolutely deserves everything (as she acknowledges herself). Was neat to see her perspective for the beginning of the final battle(s). Also funny to see Sargon taking so easily to the new normal. I feel like Amadeu's "solution" to Praes was pretty clever; it works because of how power is split up among the High Lords (so someone can't become a Dread Emperor/Empress without all the other High Lords opposing it, and they have an incentive to form coalitions with one another now since they can't become Chancellor without the approval of others). I miss Amadeus. It's kind of tragic that Catherine never really got to have a serious conversation with him since...I think when he rebelled against Malicia during that conference in Procer? There was this big long-awaited reunion expected when Catherine went East, and it just consisted of her being forced to kill him.

Nine-To-Five Villainy also continues to be good, though it's still in its introductory chapters. It has significantly higher quality writing than most RR stuff; it's just "smooth" to read and I feel like the two protagonists have very distinct voices and perspectives. The only downside is that I'm not a big fan of what I think the protagonists' powers are going to be, but that's not a huge issue if everything else is good/interesting.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cicero posted:

So it sounds like an outfit with extra sleeves doesn't look silly if you DO have a truly symmetrical body, which means extra limbs.

Otherwise I don't see how less extreme symmetricalizing would help a robe with more arm sleeves look less silly.

My reading of that is she's saying that wearing radially symmetrical clothing when you don't have a radially symmetrical body is for posers.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Disclaimer, I am well-aware that South Africa disarmed their whopping six nuclear weapons in the mid-90s. For story purposes, they saw the unrest in the world and dug up the old plans and built some ICBMs to shoot at Bad Nukey Peoples. Like I've said, I'm big on story-building and I'm doing the whole Google Maps thing too, which is gonna be embedded (along with this) on the site. This is exciting as hell!

EDIT: Now looking up the weight of a 5.56x45mm NATO bullet has sucked me into a rabbit hole of some Army major's master's thesis on reducing the ammunition weight carried by U.S. soldiers. :magical:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 15, 2021

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

quote:

Nine-To-Five Villainy also continues to be good, though it's still in its introductory chapters. It has significantly higher quality writing than most RR stuff; it's just "smooth" to read and I feel like the two protagonists have very distinct voices and perspectives. The only downside is that I'm not a big fan of what I think the protagonists' powers are going to be, but that's not a huge issue if everything else is good/interesting.

Gonna have to give a big anti-recommend for Nine-To-Five-Villany. It's prose is not unreadable, but its politics suck. To pick one random example out of a hat:

quote:

Time travel is like that one hot crazy girl everyone warns you about. You know it's bad news, but you still put your dick in crazy.

This is an author note.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cicero posted:

"If a dog wore pants" meme but for Priests of Garos

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I started reading, nay, devouring Katalepsis at roughly the same time as I started playing Bloodborne for the first time. It's been an odd couple of weeks. Though it has made me hear Praem in my head as the Plain Doll, despite her voice being described as totally different from that one.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

I started reading, nay, devouring Katalepsis at roughly the same time as I started playing Bloodborne for the first time. It's been an odd couple of weeks. Though it has made me hear Praem in my head as the Plain Doll, despite her voice being described as totally different from that one.

I once joked that the true Katalepsis experience is playing Bloodborne on one screen while watching a slice of life anime on the other. Also the title was inspired by Bloodborne. One of my favourite pieces of cosmic horror anything.

I can vibe with Praem as the Plain Doll!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Hungry posted:

I once joked that the true Katalepsis experience is playing Bloodborne on one screen while watching a slice of life anime on the other. Also the title was inspired by Bloodborne. One of my favourite pieces of cosmic horror anything.

I can vibe with Praem as the Plain Doll!

I was certain that Bloodborne was the PS4 game that Raine was going to show Heather, rather than one of the Atelier games.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Today's Beware of Chicken was pretty great. I felt grass girls rival was kind of mediocre, but this chapter really sold me on her.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

It turned a one-note, albeit charming, character into someone I want to have as much attention as the main cast. Lovely stuff.

Meanwhile, Threads Of Destiny reminded me why it is one of my favorites

quote:

The words die in her throat, even now she cannot speak them. Not in Mother’s presence. Not at all. The certainty that she had found seemed so far away. That Mother was imperfect, wrong, that her own path would differ, however little it would be.

“A good attempt,” said the empyreal light, in a voice of gods, all consuming and stripped of the mask of languid humor. “You are not wholly broken. That is well.”

You do not feel the divan under you any longer, nor the crackling hearthfire. Colorless radiance is your world, and her eyes burn you. Score, a hundred, a thousand of them, from faces of platinum and white jade, carved in expressions of fixed emotion, shifting in an incomprehensible pattern of divine order. Two eyes are greatest of all, light overwhelming, portals to a thing of obliteration and beginnings.

SPEAK THE QUESTION.

You are on your knees, hands pressed to nothing. Memory comes. Terrible, unwelcome memory. The loom, the needles, the shears. Scraps of fabric left on the cutting floor, each a piece of a child who saw the truth of heaven and was broken by it. More recent, fleeting, like mist in the morning came another memory, an embrace, cool and dark against the light.

And you, Cai Renxiang, spoke the question she had never dared to ask.

“Why?”

I DO NOT DECEIVE. MY DAUGHTERS MUST KNOW MY TRUTH. THEY MUST LOOK UPON ME AND KNOW HEAVEN IS WRONG.

You could taste blood in your mouth, coppery and hot, so like that day. The radiance faded, and you were once again in that little room, and Mother’s hand rested upon her your head, a terrible weight despite the gentleness of her touch.

Mother’s voice tickled her ear, small and human. “Happiness cannot be yours darling, nor Tienli’s nor any other of my get. Rage is the soul of progress, contentment its bane. You must look upon heaven and see the ugliness that drips from every throne. I can feel your anger, darling. I have never been more pleased.”

It takes time to blink the spots from your eyes, to swallow the blood, to hear over Liming’s shrieks of renewed hate. You feel exhausted, hollow. “I am still doing as you want.”

Your voice sounds dull to your own ears.

“Yes!” The Duchess laughs, her hand patting your head one more time. It is like an iron spike driven into your skull. “You understand, at last, some part of my children’s role. I am pleased indeed. Tell me, Renxiang, you have seen my truth, you have seen my outer self. The Tyrant Progress, the Builder and Breaker of Thrones.”

These titles reverberate in the air, far more than simple sounds.

“Do you remember darling, what word it is I bear at my center?”

You are not a child any longer, the memories of that day are still pain, renewed by the glimpse you were again given at the heart of her power. You see the outer words. Progress, Renewal, Truth. You shudder as you find the last and most true. It is light and fire, rage and yearning. It falls from your lips and the room quakes with the reality of it.

REVOLUTION

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Prac Guide maybe it's just the expectation that the ending is coming and it can only end one way, but Neshamah appears to have fallen into a very typical story.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

asur posted:

Prac Guide maybe it's just the expectation that the ending is coming and it can only end one way, but Neshamah appears to have fallen into a very typical story.

I'm not sure he knows Cat got the Villian stories back yet. I'm also not sure if it's going to be the Bard or Akua as a lock on his prison.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Blinks77 posted:

I'm not sure he knows Cat got the Villian stories back yet. I'm also not sure if it's going to be the Bard or Akua as a lock on his prison.

Cat's the one called "Warden", so not looking good for her

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

Expecting them to not get the stories back is a huge mistake, but if anything he seems to have fallen into a standard good story of the heros being trapped.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Just wanted to make the official announcement that as of now, The Postapoc Project is slated for launch on December 1, 2021!

In mid-2028, the geographical and geopolitical landscape of Earth changed irrevocably when two megalomaniacs joined forces against the world and tried to take what they thought was theirs. When conventional turned to nuclear, everything fell apart in clouds of fire and destruction that ended life as we know it. Now, in 2151, it is a struggle to survive, as the descendants of those who survived the Last War scrape by on the skin of their own knuckles. And they rely also on the efforts of the Outcasts, who brave the Wastes and scour the Exclusion Zones for Old World fortunes and technology. Below it all is the hope that perhaps one day the world might return to the better days that are now gone.

I am aware the Coming Soon page is hosed and am working on a solution to unfuck it, which may include a theme change. :v:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 17, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Cat still needs to figure out how to "use" those stories, I think. I also imagine that Neshamah has some sort of plan that goes beyond "assuming he can just let loose because Below's stories are gone."

Rob Filter posted:

Gonna have to give a big anti-recommend for Nine-To-Five-Villany. It's prose is not unreadable, but its politics suck. To pick one random example out of a hat:

This is an author note.

drat, that's a shame. The curse of fantasy/sci-fi writing, where like 95% of the authors have terrible politics (and the ones that don't are usually pretty bad in some other way).

edit: One thing that I had noticed as a sort of red flag but was waiting to see where it went was the stuff with the addict guy. "Nerd fiction" is frequently terrible with the subject of addiction (including otherwise "progressive" stuff, since it usually isn't under the umbrella of what your average liberal considers Things I Should Care About), and this is no exception to that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 16, 2021

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Cat still needs to figure out how to "use" those stories, I think. I also imagine that Neshamah has some sort of plan that goes beyond "assuming he can just let loose because Below's stories are gone."

drat, that's a shame. The curse of fantasy/sci-fi writing, where like 95% of the authors have terrible politics (and the ones that don't are usually pretty bad in some other way).

edit: One thing that I had noticed as a sort of red flag but was waiting to see where it went was the stuff with the addict guy. "Nerd fiction" is frequently terrible with the subject of addiction (including otherwise "progressive" stuff, since it usually isn't under the umbrella of what your average liberal considers Things I Should Care About), and this is no exception to that.

Related - I'm getting a bit roasted for my MC's ethics not being exactly the same as what people consider to be "Typically good". Like, Elaine is pretty darn close to pure-driven snow in the ethics department, at least as far as litRPG protags go, but I've been getting quite a lot of flak for Elaine on Patreon going "Hey, body snatchers are people as well, and I shouldn't wholesale massacre them when I see them. It wasn't their fault for being born that way. Now, I don't like them, and if I can find an excuse I'll use it, but I won't wantonly massacre them."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

D34THROW posted:

Just wanted to make the official announcement that as of now, The Postapoc Project is slated for launch on December 1, 2021!

In mid-2028, the geographical and geopolitical landscape of Earth changed irrevocably when two megalomaniacs joined forces against the world and tried to take what they thought was there. When conventional turned to nuclear, everything fell apart in clouds of fire and destruction that ended life as we know it. Now, in 2151, it is a struggle to survive, as the descendants of those who survived the Last War scrape by on the skin of their own knuckles - and the efforts of the Outcasts, who brave the Wastes and scour the Exclusion Zones for Old World fortunes and technology, in the hope that perhaps one day the world might return to the better days that are now gone.

I am aware the Coming Soon page is hosed and am working on a solution to unfuck it, which may include a theme change. :v:

This chuck of text needs, let's say, an editing pass. Please start with using 'theirs'(though that is still a poor sentence) and chop up the run-on sentence at the end.
I will check it out when it launches.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Selkie Myth posted:

Related - I'm getting a bit roasted for my MC's ethics not being exactly the same as what people consider to be "Typically good". Like, Elaine is pretty darn close to pure-driven snow in the ethics department, at least as far as litRPG protags go, but I've been getting quite a lot of flak for Elaine on Patreon going "Hey, body snatchers are people as well, and I shouldn't wholesale massacre them when I see them. It wasn't their fault for being born that way. Now, I don't like them, and if I can find an excuse I'll use it, but I won't wantonly massacre them."

The reaction to that was not exactly surprising, but it was disappointing. I think you can reasonably disagree with the conclusion Elaine came to, but a lot of the readers seem to not even accept that there's an ethical question there at all.

The mix of "why'd you write 8k words about how her Oath works this was all obvious" and "I don't understand how her Oath works" in the comments amused me though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

RoyalRoad Writeathon 25k+ winners are out.

https://www.royalroad.com/blog/44/writathon-participants-list

Anything on there recommended?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Some people, especially in this genre, go absolutely scorched-earth at the hint of the slightest influence on personal autonomy. It's not an unreasonable position until you consider a decent chunk of the audience extends that to "someone having passable social skills."

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

The reaction to that was not exactly surprising, but it was disappointing. I think you can reasonably disagree with the conclusion Elaine came to, but a lot of the readers seem to not even accept that there's an ethical question there at all.

The mix of "why'd you write 8k words about how her Oath works this was all obvious" and "I don't understand how her Oath works" in the comments amused me though.

The sliding scale between being subtle and being obvious is, I think, an underrated challenge for writers to figure out. There's all kinds of readers out there with vastly differing attention spans and reading comprehension levels, and even astute readers miss things. You can try to be subtle, but if half your audience doesn't pick up on the cues and figure out what you're going for, then what's the point?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
god loving drat it pirate

really

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nettle Soup posted:

RoyalRoad Writeathon 25k+ winners are out.

https://www.royalroad.com/blog/44/writathon-participants-list

Anything on there recommended?

I'd probably give Memories of the Fall a rec if the Book 1 rewrite/reedit was finished yet. The new "prologue" seems to have ended up being as long as the rest of the book is. :laugh:

It's actually kinda funny: Rith had been agonising over this new chapter 13 for ages, trying to get it to work without splitting off yet another chapter. He finally gets it to a point he's happy with, a svelte 32k words (lmao), and RR implement a new 25k word limit for chapters to prevent writeathon abuse.

He ended up having to upload it in halves. :allears:

May be time to get those work counts under control.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Peachfart posted:

This chuck of text needs, let's say, an editing pass. Please start with using 'theirs'(though that is still a poor sentence) and chop up the run-on sentence at the end.
I will check it out when it launches.

:hurr: Normally I'm the one doing the editing for people but I made that dumbass mistake. Thank you for pointing it out :downs:

Honestly I've never written a summary or like...book-jacket text before so I have no friggin' idea what to do :v: I ended up sort of stream-of-consciousness-ing it.

EDIT: This better?

quote:

In mid-2028, the geographical and geopolitical landscape of Earth changed irrevocably when two megalomaniacs joined forces against the world and tried to take what they thought was theirs. When conventional turned to nuclear, everything fell apart in clouds of fire and destruction that ended life as we know it. Now, in 2151, it is a struggle to survive, as the descendants of those who survived the Last War scrape by on the skin of their own knuckles. And they rely also on the efforts of the Outcasts, who brave the Wastes and scour the Exclusion Zones for Old World fortunes and technology. Below it all is the hope that perhaps one day the world might return to the better days that are now gone.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 17, 2021

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Those Dragoneye moon spoilers are pretty funny. Wasn't it kind of obvious that would be a point of conflict as soon as the elves started talking about what they were doing? Elaine just spent like a month healing possibly the worst, most monstrous person in the world, for crying out loud.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Every word in your blurb a percentage of readers will fall away, so you want to make promises as quickly as possible to hook readers in.

Shorter Edit posted:

Decades ago, two megalomaniac's tried to conquer Earth. They instead sparked nuclear Armageddon. Now, in 2151, humanity struggles to survive, reliant on the Outcasts, explorers who brave the Wastes and scour the Exclusion Zones for Old World fortunes and technology.
This is a mediocre edit (on my part), but the economy of word count here is what's important. The shorter start gives you space to make more promises about the protagonist, events, mysteries, and locations.

Side note, but you possibly don't want to mention the two megalomaniac's in the blurb at all. "Decades ago, nuclear Armageddon scoured earth. Now, in 2151" gets you to your central promise faster. If you do want to mention them because they are important (e.g. the protagonist will be exploring one of their abandoned military bases), the sentence that makes that cool promise is a great place to first mention them.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I suppose I was trying to insert too much of the prologue into the blurb.

I appreciate the help, all :)

quote:

Decades ago, the end of the Last War bathed the world in nuclear fire. Now, in 2151, the world depends on their own will and that of the Outcasts, intrepid explorers who brave the Wastes and Exclusion Zones in search of Old World treasure and tech.

The thing is, the story isn't only about the Outcasts. It starts off with a wannabe Outcast and an experienced Waster going out together, but there are other factions and people to explore as well, like the Witnesses and the Numises to start.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 17, 2021