Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Undertaker got a big pop for beating him a couple months earlier

I think this was as much because people loved UT as anything, although Hogan's bullshit had definitely gotten old.

One thing worth noting about the reaction afterwards is that Hogan definitely reacts to the crowd turning on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing worth noting about the reaction afterwards is that Hogan definitely reacts to the crowd turning on him.

This might be one of my favorite things that happens in wrestling, when someone is expecting one crowd reaction, gets another, and is obviously confused/bothered by it.

Good example, The Rock raising Roman's hand after the Rumble.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKingslayer posted:

This might be one of my favorite things that happens in wrestling, when someone is expecting one crowd reaction, gets another, and is obviously confused/bothered by it.

Good example, The Rock raising Roman's hand after the Rumble.

Proof enough to me that the Rock wasn't paying any attention to the product at the time lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don’t know how big a draw he was but Junkyard Dog was pretty over despite not being very good.

In Mid-South, especially New Orleans, JYD was huge. He was really popular during the early part of his WWF run too, but by that time I believe he had some personal tragedies in his life and kind of fell off. The kids loved him especially because even more than Hogan he'd interact with them.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Was the Ultimate Warrior supposed to be mentally challenged or was he supposed to be like some kind of tribesman whose first language wasn't English?

I ask because in these promos leading up to the Warrior vs Undertaker match that never happened he keeps calling Jake the Snake "Snake Man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_u5OYB_rc&t=935s

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

It was really blatant lol. In the re-dub, Monsoon screams something like "That jerk Sid just tossed out Hogan!", and even my 12-year-old self knew he never said that when I watched it live. And the boos when Hogan got eliminated was such an obvious re-dub it makes today's canned noise in their shows pale in comparison.

I firmly believe this is when fans started to turn on babyface red & yellow Hogan.

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Undertaker got a big pop for beating him a couple months earlier

91-92 is when Red and Yellow Hulkamania really ran it's course. Mania didn't draw at all and crowds were starting to pop for people beating Hogan. While a heel turn would of never worked in WWF Hogan 100% needed a new character and a new arc to become fresh but Hogan never really would see that till he turned and joined the NWO

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

PeterCat posted:

Was the Ultimate Warrior supposed to be mentally challenged or was he supposed to be like some kind of tribesman whose first language wasn't English?

I ask because in these promos leading up to the Warrior vs Undertaker match that never happened he keeps calling Jake the Snake "Snake Man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_u5OYB_rc&t=935s

The Ultimate Warrior is a man driven by Adrenaline and the eternal song of Combat. He needs no names, no stories, to him everyone else is merely a challenge to overcome and the bodies left in his wake will be a legacy that no man can ever overcome, for none have been as blessed by the Gods Above as the Warrior, nor as cursed for the Warrior's battle can never end, so each day is another battle, each year another war, and with every opponent he walks every closer to Parts Unknown.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, watching old Jake the Snake promos brought me to this, and happiness is watching Jake the Snake quoting Pink Floyd's The Wall:

"Feel the warmth, the confusion, that Snake-Cadet glow."

Anyway, where can I get a tank top like the Snake Man has here? It's pink with a coiled snake ending with a cute pink heart. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7z4ghu6PGc

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Renaissance Spam posted:

The Ultimate Warrior is a man driven by Adrenaline and the eternal song of Combat. He needs no names, no stories, to him everyone else is merely a challenge to overcome and the bodies left in his wake will be a legacy that no man can ever overcome, for none have been as blessed by the Gods Above as the Warrior, nor as cursed for the Warrior's battle can never end, so each day is another battle, each year another war, and with every opponent he walks every closer to Parts Unknown.
I think they were asking about the kayfabe situation, though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

frankenfreak posted:

I think they were asking about the kayfabe situation, though.

I'll accept the earlier answer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Snake Man was a good name, and those vignettes were great. Awesome character work all around.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Snake Man was a good name, and those vignettes were great. Awesome character work all around.

The fun part is I only saw the one where the Snake Man buried Ultimate Warrior and had him stare at a skull all night. I never saw the rest of them till today!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I honestly hate how Jake treated those snakes sometimes. :smith:

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

sticklefifer posted:

Cena/Ryder is pretty up there.

Cena made out with Zack's girlfriend Eve while Zack was injured and in a wheelchair. The end result was that Zack was a big dork who shouldn't have taken exception to it and Eve was a total slut so actually Cena was cool and good and justified the whole time, you see.

This is one of the first things WWE did since I had started watching again that made me say “hey, this company is pretty bad!” IIRC, the general story was as follows:

- Ryder gets over organically via his “Z: True Long Island Story” youtube show and, begrudgingly, WWE puts him over Ziggler at Survivor Series (or thereabouts) for the US Title. He cuts a very bad catchphrasey promo alongside Punk and Bryan the next night, which begins to paint the picture that he’s a big dumb dork.

- Ryder and Eve Torres start an on-camera relationship that I THINK is a crossover from the youtube show. Regardless, it’s played very cutesy and honest, since they’re both nice dumb faces. ALSO John Cena, King of the nice dumb faces, hangs out with Ryder here and there (and feeds off his crowd reactions at a time where the crowd is sick of Cena’s schtick).

- Enter KANE! Kane just returned, remasked, to “beat up John Cena” (a common Cena enemy trope). Obviously one way to beat up Cena is to beat up his buddies, so Kane begins assaulting Ryder in backstage segments. It gets bad enough that Ryder, kayfabe-injured, loses his US Title to Jack Swagger like a month after winning it in a pretty fast squash match.

- Kane isn’t done yet!! He begins to stalk Ryder and Eve backstage (to further beat up Cena, I guess). This is around the time that Ryder ends up in an increasing amount of traction (neck brace, wheelchair, etc.), and Kane chucks Ryder off the stage in his wheelchair. This culminates in Kane “kidnapping” Eve (IIRC the original broadcast cuts in early and showed them staging the event so it looked even dumber), Cena coming in for the save, and the two of them making out…in front of Ryder…
https://youtu.be/sOg7P3QM3nI

Now, if this was a good company that could tell good stories (it’s not), there are a few ways to go here:
A) Everyone’s an adult, Cena and Ryder maybe have a quick misunderstanding feud but ultimately team up and beat up Kane.
B) Ryder turns heel from all this abuse and his friends betraying him, thus turning evil (just as planned by Kane, I guess).
C) Cena turns heel because he’s a bad friend (lol)

Of course, the final payoff was none of those things; Cena and Kane feuded for a minute before Cena moved on, Kane meandered in the midcard until his Team Hell No run with Bryan, and Ryder, once a fan favorite with a good amount of online buzz, had ALL the wind taken out of his sails since he came across as a huge dumb loser. I think he and Kane DID have a match at some point that mostly centered on Ryder hitting his signature moves (none of which lend themselves to a “blood feud”) to no avail against Kane, who in turn squashed Ryder.

Bonus points for the Eve/Ryder storyline payoff: they didn’t really do much on-screen together following the Cena Makeout session (that I remember, at least) until Wrestlemania, where she kicked Ryder in the dick (unprovoked) to cost his team a match (some “Battle of the Brands” garbage multiman, who could care). The crowds, of course, blamed Eve for the makeout betrayal (not Cena) so of course she should be the badguy of the feud. Shame too, since Eve had made some strides to be a better wrestler in a dire time for women’s wrestling and could have been a decent top face.

Instead, none of this went anywhere, Eve left within months, Ryder meandered for years after until recently, and Cena continued to be Cena with no fallout or repercussions.

WWE!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I remember Eve not really being that into Ryder. She was more being polite about his advances, but it always seemed apparent that she really didn't care about him romantically.

So anyway, after she turned on Ryder, Ryder went on to make a music video about how she's a "ho-ski." That did not help him in the long run.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What was the wcw angle that had Rey lose his mask? Was it any good?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There wasn't much of one. The nWo reunited and went after the LWO, which was formed to make fun of them, after all. This led to a Hair vs. Mask match between the Outsiders and Rey/Konnan, which the Outsiders won.

This led to a bit of a midcard push as a "giant killer," but like everything else in WCW, it fizzled into nothingness as soon as he brushed up against the dorky dads who ran the company. So to answer the second question: No.

Bischoff always believed that masks made wrestlers less marketable. According to Rey, Scott Hall made an offhand comment that Rey was too good-looking for a mask, and it snowballed until Bischoff demanded that he drop the mask. It's true that Rey is good-looking. It's also true that in 1999 he looked too young to smoke.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 16, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rey unmasked made it seem as though giant men were beating the poo poo out of a literal child every week.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Unmasked Rey was still one of the best things WCW had going for it, he was still a great performer, the crowd still liked him, and he did get some opportunities to show off against heavyweights. He probably would have been more over with the mask on, and he would have been better as a consistent babyface rather than... whatever the Filthy Animals were supposed to be.

EDIT: also I think they had him doing a bronco buster for a while, which, no, Rey loving Mysterio should not be out there doing X-Pac's moves. SMH

rujasu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 16, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's baffling for anyone involved in wrestling to say that masks make wrestlers less marketable when it's literally a piece of unique and visually distinct merch you can sell.

Also from the company that put Sting in full-face Crow makeup.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

It's baffling for anyone involved in wrestling to say that masks make wrestlers less marketable when it's literally a piece of unique and visually distinct merch you can sell.

Also from the company that put Sting in full-face Crow makeup.

I mean, AEW doesn't sell Uno, Fenix, Penta or Fuego masks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Fenix and Penta sell their own masks

https://republicoflucha.com/

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Gaz-L posted:

You can get good lucha masks of everyone off of ebay.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gaz-L posted:

I assume they don't own their looks, which is good. But the point remains that even massive idiots WWE showed that you can make a lot of money selling Rey Mysterio masks as official merch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

They sell Creeper masks at live events so I assume it's just not selling the masks since the talent owns the likeness and letting them do it themselves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I assume they don't own their looks, which is good. But the point remains that even massive idiots WWE showed that you can make a lot of money selling Rey Mysterio masks as official merch.

That was kinda my point and that it's weird AEW doesn't do the same.

He may have been joking but Uno said on Danhausen's podcast that AEW does have the rights to his mask for merch but just... don't make them?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

BUSHI has turned this into an artform by having a new mask made every match which he then sells.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can DM Penta on his instagram and he will sell you masks directly and call you bro repeatedly while making sure you definitely set that PayPal to friends and family, it’s the best way to buy them imho.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope penta and rey fenix are very wealthy and able to take care of their friends and family

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can DM Penta on his instagram and he will sell you masks directly and call you bro repeatedly while making sure you definitely set that PayPal to friends and family, it’s the best way to buy them imho.

This is how you had to buy all the best Rush merch except via Facebook.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If anyone ever gets the itch to get a custom mask let me know. I have a guy who made my Rudo Masks, they're $60 for the semi pro version (you don't need the pro version, it's not very comfortable). Super high quality stuff. You send him the design and measurements and he makes them. Really good stuff.

He makes gear for a bunch of the SoCal wrestlers.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

cordial business man penta

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can your guy also do replicas of wrestlers' actual faces? I'm interested in La Parka's.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gaz-L posted:

fuego auctioned off a couple a few months ago

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is there any particular reason Mick Foley hasn't made an appearance for AEW yet? Seems exactly the kind of thing Foley would want to do an TK would welcome him with open arms.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is there any particular reason Mick Foley hasn't made an appearance for AEW yet? Seems exactly the kind of thing Foley would want to do an TK would welcome him with open arms.

probably would just want the right time for it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Mick still under some kind of WWE deal?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think he knows that AEW doesn't need him. He's far more important to companies like GCW who really need legitimate support, rather than AEW for whom legends showing up is now more filling the bingo card.

I would like to get Mick on commentary for a Lights Out match though. Especially if Tony is there as well and they could have a chat about butts in seats.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If they brought Foley in it should be for something nobody expects, like Dude Love joining the Wingmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

That would be fun and I would say the right way to use Foley; not as a trophy to hold up as proof of legitimacy, but a dude having fun and getting paid.