Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Apparently people have received Nona ARCs and I'm :cry: :cry: :cry:

This year has gone on long enough how am I supposed to wait another one?

Edit: source

https://twitter.com/BBolander/status/1454478448869662721?t=LQbqiTt3yPg7ho0b0ByIqQ&s=19

Hey, that's my birthday too, how do I get in on this. Why didn't anybody send me an ARC. :(

edit: poo poo what an embarrassing page snipe. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I've never really figured out how to receive ARCs, but I feel like the people that I see that get them are usually Authors or someone with some sort of book blog.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If you're a book reviewer with a Netgalley account, an author who the publicist thinks will tweet about it and help sell copies, or you've got a friend who works in publishing are basically the three ways I know to get them.

I think tordotcom sending ARCs out a year in advance is dumb because it's hard to sustain hype for an entire year, especially when it feels like if you're not in the cool club you don't matter, but they're a big publishing house and I'm not so :shrug: Nearly every other publisher I know does it a lot closer to launch, at least.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah, I follow a few dozen authors/editors on twitter to keep up with book news, and it's pretty common that I'll think a book has been out for months already when it doesn't actually come out until, say, next year. All because they'll be (very vaguely) talking about it for such a long time after they all got ARCs so early. I'm actually surprised it doesn't look like Nona has any pre-order listings up yet since they've got ARCs going out.

(The only person I've known irl who regularly got ARCs worked at a bookstore, and I think libraries/librarians might get them too in addition to book industry/prominent blogger types.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Where can I preorder? I waaaaaaaaant it!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What kind of scan/copy traceability is there in arcs? Like a purposely miss spelt word here and there.

Also, what is the purpose of arcs a full year ahead (or is it less than that?) of general publication? Surely any buzz would have fizzled out long before.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

cptn_dr posted:

I think tordotcom sending ARCs out a year in advance is dumb because it's hard to sustain hype for an entire year

Alix Harrow and Bo Bolander, the two people I've seen with Nona ARCs, have both published with Tor, so it doesn't surprise me they'd be able to snag early copies. Also, blurb requests tend to go out a year before pub, so anyone the publisher is targeting for a blurb will probably be getting an ARC around now.

ARCs for regular reviewers go out closer to pub tho, yeah.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, it looks like the ebook version of Harrow the Ninth has been updated with the bonus content from the paperback edition.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, it looks like the ebook version of Harrow the Ninth has been updated with the bonus content from the paperback edition.

Finally!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ZekeNY posted:

Finally!

I gave my hardback to the library and ordered the paperback just to get that content. Anyone know what Nona is supposed to be about? Apparently it was some character that author and publishers really liked in Alecto the Ninth so they decided to give them their own book.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Hopefully it's Gideon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We did get this

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You know what, let's talk about that!

As of the end of Harrow the Ninth, somebody, who is probably the person we are going to call Nona and is also probably wearing Gideon's old body, is living on a Blood of Eden (probably) world with three people:
  • the person who went to work for her (probably Coronabeth)
  • the person who looked after her (known to be Camilla)
  • the person who taught her (probably Judith)
These three people seem to be in hiding and attempting to train Nona as a cavalier and a necromancer at the same time. Exactly how they wind up in this position after the events of the short story we don't know. (Well, it actually seems reasonable for them to be in hiding, although we don't leave them in a great position to work together willingly.)

What on the First are they up to?

Also, come to think of it, who is in Gideon's body? It's not meaningfully Gideon since she doens't seem to have Gideon's personality or skills. It might be Alecto, and it might be the Body, who may very well be the same person, although the Body seemed pretty with-it and definitely had some knowledge of what was going on (see: the Body warns Harrowhark to lie to Mercymorn about her age). Being Alecto, who was supposedly "never human", probably fits best with her childlike tendencies, but there's a lot we don't know.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 15, 2021

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Harrow started with the Emperor giving the ninth house all these preserved humans to revive it and my working theory is that Nona is going to be one of those people.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ooooh poo poo I just realized I've lost the whole drat plot of Harrow. I really do not want to re-read until Nona is here, but.....

....I kinda want to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rereading them is praxis, you get more each time

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pretty much all I can remember about the plot of these books is, "I really enjoy this".

Fuuuuuck.

Okay next re-read I'm going to allow myself to peek at online resources for, e.g., the timeline.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

sebmojo posted:

Rereading them is praxis, you get more each time

Unless you're like me with a memory disorder, where enough goes missing on rereads that it never piles up into anything :smith:
Definitely planning on rereading the first two when Nona comes out though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Chomping at the bit for a cover reveal or something...if the boom doesn't come out until the end of 2022, how long before we gr one of those?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

Pretty much all I can remember about the plot of these books is, "I really enjoy this".

Fuuuuuck.

Okay next re-read I'm going to allow myself to peek at online resources for, e.g., the timeline.

I always recall Gideon said, “Did you know that if you put the first three letters of your last name with the first three letters of your first name, you get ‘Sex Pal’?”

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rand Brittain posted:

Exactly how they wind up in this position after the events of the short story we don't know.

Short story? What?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The paperback version of Harrow includes a short story where Judith tells us about her less-than-stellar vacation.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I'm being harangued by friends to give this series another try. For context, I read Gideon a while ago but have not touched Harrow yet.

Gideon spoilers My main objection is how everyone seems to rave over how this is finally some great lesbian representation in scifi, but the whole relationship just sketched me out. The first third or so of the book goes out of its way to an almost cartoonish level to make sure you know how much Gideon and Harrow hate each other, including the murder attempts. The plot starts to require them to work together but it didn't really feel like there was much chemistry there for a romance of any kind. The pool scene was great but to my mind it was the start of undoing all that abuse and not the end point of healing it seems to be presented as. If this had been a hetero relationship I really feel like it would be panned for being forced and kind of abusive, but we are so starved for lesbian protagonists with an actual personality that everyone looks past it. Basically all my friends think this take is crazy, hence me asking for outside opinions.

The one big thing making me reconsider is that there is already an in-universe explanation to keep exploring that relationship given the... abrupt ending of Gideon. What am I missing that I should maybe pay attention for on a reread?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ragnarokette posted:

The one big thing making me reconsider is that there is already an in-universe explanation to keep exploring that relationship given the... abrupt ending of Gideon. What am I missing that I should maybe pay attention for on a reread?

Harold, they're necromancers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ragnarokette posted:

I'm being harangued by friends to give this series another try. For context, I read Gideon a while ago but have not touched Harrow yet.

Gideon spoilers My main objection is how everyone seems to rave over how this is finally some great lesbian representation in scifi, but the whole relationship just sketched me out. The first third or so of the book goes out of its way to an almost cartoonish level to make sure you know how much Gideon and Harrow hate each other, including the murder attempts. The plot starts to require them to work together but it didn't really feel like there was much chemistry there for a romance of any kind. The pool scene was great but to my mind it was the start of undoing all that abuse and not the end point of healing it seems to be presented as. If this had been a hetero relationship I really feel like it would be panned for being forced and kind of abusive, but we are so starved for lesbian protagonists with an actual personality that everyone looks past it. Basically all my friends think this take is crazy, hence me asking for outside opinions.

No, they absolutely do have a codependent and unhealthy relationship and should really date other people, or just generally escape to some kind of space barista AU as soon as possible.

It's considered "good representation" because straight people are allowed to wallow in media about unhealthy, codependent relationships and aren't required to feel bad about it, and we gay folks are now demanding equal rights.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They have a an almost realistic relationship. The most unrealistic part is just how over the top edgy necrolord it is.

Also Gideon is into Sexy Swole Women (SSWs), a healthy obsession, and Harrow is into Dead Corpse Women so it could never work out.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

ragnarokette posted:

The pool scene was great but to my mind it was the start of undoing all that abuse and not the end point of healing it seems to be presented as. If this had been a hetero relationship I really feel like it would be panned for being forced and kind of abusive, but we are so starved for lesbian protagonists with an actual personality that everyone looks past it.

So, this is an interesting take, but I don't think people are looking past anything because of the main characters being gay.

Specifically, I don't really think we're meant to read the pool scene as the point where Gideon and Harrow actually get into a romantic relationship. They're not in a romantic relationship at any point in the book. They're not banging. I don't think they even kiss.

"oh so you're saying they're not lesbians?" no. they're extremely lesbian. and they would almost certainly end up dating after the conclusion of Gideon if it weren't for, uh, the conclusion of Gideon. But that would be after some further amount of each of them communicating and their relationship developing and it would probably be a pretty rocky start because like, they've both got plenty of issues to deal with. But that's not happens during the book.

The reason that their dynamic as portrayed works, to the degree it does (it's pretty implied that they're pretty unhealthily emotionally intermingled due to their circumstances and are so reliant on one another and able to work together because of their shared trauma, which isn't a great basis for a relationship but hey what are you going to do) is they don't jump from traumatic and complicated mutual hatred and self-hatred to happy and fulfilling domestic life partnership, they go from mutual hatred to mutual vulnerability and support for one another in the fires of a horrible and perilous situation, and whether either of them also wants to get it on with the other is unrelated.

IMO if they were hetero this dynamic would also be fine, and if they had initiated a romance during the events of the book it would have been forced and weird whether they were gay or straight. It's appealing to think of them as in a romance during the book because of, well, the vibes. And I will admit there are a lot of vibes. But those are implied future vibes.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
It’s good lesbian representation because they are main character lesbians existing without being defined by their sexuality. I’m with the poster above who pointed out Gideon and Harrow’s relationship is absolutely not romantic (at least atm) and that’s kind of the point.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

a computing pun posted:

So, this is an interesting take, but I don't think people are looking past anything because of the main characters being gay.

Specifically, I don't really think we're meant to read the pool scene as the point where Gideon and Harrow actually get into a romantic relationship. They're not in a romantic relationship at any point in the book. They're not banging. I don't think they even kiss.

"oh so you're saying they're not lesbians?" no. they're extremely lesbian. and they would almost certainly end up dating after the conclusion of Gideon if it weren't for, uh, the conclusion of Gideon. But that would be after some further amount of each of them communicating and their relationship developing and it would probably be a pretty rocky start because like, they've both got plenty of issues to deal with. But that's not happens during the book.

The reason that their dynamic as portrayed works, to the degree it does (it's pretty implied that they're pretty unhealthily emotionally intermingled due to their circumstances and are so reliant on one another and able to work together because of their shared trauma, which isn't a great basis for a relationship but hey what are you going to do) is they don't jump from traumatic and complicated mutual hatred and self-hatred to happy and fulfilling domestic life partnership, they go from mutual hatred to mutual vulnerability and support for one another in the fires of a horrible and perilous situation, and whether either of them also wants to get it on with the other is unrelated.

IMO if they were hetero this dynamic would also be fine, and if they had initiated a romance during the events of the book it would have been forced and weird whether they were gay or straight. It's appealing to think of them as in a romance during the book because of, well, the vibes. And I will admit there are a lot of vibes. But those are implied future vibes.

Ok this is what I was pretty much looking for. I think I got sold some bad expectations going in because I was told it was a light romance, and it's really not, at least yet

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I felt similar to you, I don't get people who thought Gideon and Harrow are relationship goals after the first book. They're both compelling characters and I loved them recontextualizing their relationship with one another, but it's step one to them healing from their traumatic pasts. And I wouldn't feel upset if they got into a messy, imperfect, painful relationship either, because I love to suffer and I feel like that's different from the fanart I see of them being cute girlfriends together. It's a fine line to walk, when you're a fan of characters and want something better for them to also reconcile it with the text available that's screaming "no no these two are not ready to date each other or anyone yet".

I mean (Gideon and MAJOR Harrow spoilers) Gideon is fine with being subsumed by Harrow in totality in order to save her life and is pissed when Harrow "ruined" how the cavalier spirit absorption was supposed to go. It's necromantically and literally unhealthy codependence! It's a super fun dynamic to read about, but woo boy girls, please learn to love yourselves.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ragnarokette posted:

Ok this is what I was pretty much looking for. I think I got sold some bad expectations going in because I was told it was a light romance, and it's really not, at least yet

Wait, wait, what?

ragnarokette posted:

a light romance

What?

Someone lied to you, friend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You want Frontline Titties of the Fifth, same universe but different tone

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sebmojo posted:

You want Frontline Titties of the Fifth, same universe but different tone

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

disposablewords posted:

Wait, wait, what?

What?

Someone lied to you, friend.

If they were smart they wouldn't hang out with me in the first place :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

I mean (Gideon and MAJOR Harrow spoilers) Gideon is fine with being subsumed by Harrow in totality in order to save her life and is pissed when Harrow "ruined" how the cavalier spirit absorption was supposed to go. It's necromantically and literally unhealthy codependence! It's a super fun dynamic to read about, but woo boy girls, please learn to love yourselves.

In fairness, Gideon's life was already forfeit when she gave it away; she's pissed because Harrow is squandering that gift by refusing to accept it when the price has already been paid, and has kept it mint in the metaphorical wrapper in hopes of one day being able to get a refund at a store which has since burned down.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ragnarokette posted:

oh god no yeah this is not a romance by any standard definition

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Gideon does really like her sword though. It’s a classic love story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

funkymonks posted:

Gideon does really like her sword though. It’s a classic love story.

goddam rapier grumble mumble

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mercury Hat posted:

I felt similar to you, I don't get people who thought Gideon and Harrow are relationship goals after the first book. They're both compelling characters and I loved them recontextualizing their relationship with one another, but it's step one to them healing from their traumatic pasts. And I wouldn't feel upset if they got into a messy, imperfect, painful relationship either, because I love to suffer and I feel like that's different from the fanart I see of them being cute girlfriends together. It's a fine line to walk, when you're a fan of characters and want something better for them to also reconcile it with the text available that's screaming "no no these two are not ready to date each other or anyone yet".

Just like it's possible for two heterosexuals of differing genders to not be attracted to each other, it's also possible for two lesbians to not be attracted to each other. Honestly, Gideon and Harrow within the books come off more like siblings (complete with rivalry/family dysfunction) than lovers. Harrow is already in love with/obsessed by The Body. And in Gideon the Ninth we get multiple instances of Gideon lusting after other ladies and/or considering them to be "hot." None of those ladies was Harrow, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Gideon's remarks on "Nonagesimitis" in Harrow indicate pretty strongly that she is definitely romantically interested in Harrowhark, but thinks she has no chance, because she is alive and not dead.