Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Cicero posted:

lmao

I had more detail here because other threads people have probably heard of it before, it's not some weird conspiracy

nice try, croat author Domagoj Kurmaic. how very like a croat, establishing a 2003 reg date to divert suspicion from your affiliate marketing link a full 18 years later. just like you did with the austro-hungarian empire... you played the long game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You got me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would simply not respond to the posts I don't want to engage with

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

I would simply not respond to the posts I don't want to engage with

that’s rich, coming from one of the most feared and notorious trolls in all of Cyberspace

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Was catching up on this thread and as soon as I saw that title posted I started wondering how many more posts would go by until someone objected to it haha.

I tried to read that serial a while back when I was trying to read through every popular magic school series. Couldn’t make it past the first chapter, absolutely dire writing, but apparently there are some cool mechanics to the mystery and the progression later on, if you can suffer the prose.

Copernic posted:

well the new neal stephenson is out

Distressed to see the creator of Hiro Protagonist has not been working from a place of irony all these years.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Copernic posted:

well the new neal stephenson is out

:pwn: snow crash is one of those books I loved when I was 17 and am terrified to ever look at again.

also re pushing self-published books here (as opposed to web serials which belong anywhere else), I’m down but you have to be ok with getting brutally flamed in response. The more obscure and terrible the greater the chance. Toss the dice if you dare

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

is neal stephenson a clever clogs? he is right? i learned that term from peppa pig so i'm not 100% confident

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Snow Crash is my least favorite of his honestly. It's juvenile in a way most of his other stuff isn't.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

To be clear, Mother of Learning isn't self published. It has a publisher. Probably not a very good one, but it does have one.

quote:

I’m down but you have to be ok with getting brutally flamed in response
Nah that's stupid

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Stephenson engaged his writing autism and sat at the desk. There was no way to avoid it any longer--he'd have to discuss the hogs. cue ten pages on hogs' musculature, economic value, diet, feces, challenges in management of same, and market opportunities as a hog feces removal service provider. That is why main character Brock Hardstrong has a truck, and why the truck smells bad.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's the real good poo poo yeah.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually liked seveneyes until the weird decision where the last third was fanfiction

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Stephenson engaged his writing autism and sat at the desk. There was no way to avoid it any longer--he'd have to discuss the hogs. cue ten pages on hogs' musculature, economic value, diet, feces, challenges in management of same, and market opportunities as a hog feces removal service provider. That is why main character Brock Hardstrong has a truck, and why the truck smells bad.

SF&F Megathread: There was no way to avoid it any longer--he'd have to discuss the hogs.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I actually liked seveneyes until the weird decision where the last third was fanfiction

Uhhh, how can he write fanfiction of his own book?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That is like most publisher mandated sequels.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Nomnom Cookie posted:

:mods:

reported for posting hog

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

stephenson being a weirdo libertarian isn't surprising

i'm more puzzled by gibson being a centrist liberal (and twitter scold) who mentions hillary clinton winning being a key plot difference for the agency book

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cicero posted:

Nah that's stupid

This thread flames bad writing generally. It’s why we’re currently taking the piss out of Stephenson. Alternatively it was why even though Commonweal is self published there’s not much bad to say about it. Worst we could come up with was that it’s deliberately obtuse at times and makes the reader work to figure out what’s going on.

Stuff like Mother of Learning is sort of the opposite. The prose conceals nothing because it has no greater depth, the author is just about competent enough to be able to string the sentences together. He writes like he’s trying to describe a particularly bad seasonal anime, but oh well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Uhhh, how can he write fanfiction of his own book?

:iiam:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I was talking about people flaming other goons for liking the wrong books, not flaming the book itself (or the author I guess). If someone reads Mother of Learning and think it's garbage that's fine.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I think I've posted this opinion here before but I'm not going to let that stop me!!! The last part of Seveneves is absolutely essential to the book. It's the culmination of everything they were working towards, and you get to see how the poo poo that happened to old humanity influenced the beliefs and behavior of new humanity, warts and all. Like, I want a full fuckin sequel of that poo poo, just shovel it into my brain with a backhoe.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I haven’t read any Stephenson books after anathem and I’m very comfortable with that. Like I enjoyed anathem but it felt like he’d taken the whole being up his own rear end with chapters of exposition thing about as far as it was going to go with that book.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
But... he writes about different things each time? It's not like he's super fixated on cars or something and writes book after book with car exposition.

(Unrelated but I just had the realization that Wheel of Time is basically a much worse version of Book of the New Sun lmao)

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

packetmantis posted:

I think I've posted this opinion here before but I'm not going to let that stop me!!! The last part of Seveneves is absolutely essential to the book. It's the culmination of everything they were working towards, and you get to see how the poo poo that happened to old humanity influenced the beliefs and behavior of new humanity, warts and all. Like, I want a full fuckin sequel of that poo poo, just shovel it into my brain with a backhoe.

turns out that what happened to old humanity influenced new humanity to make everything like the 80s (complete with Cold War) forever, but in space. good thing we decided that social media and transhumanism are evil, or we might actually have to speculate about future society being materially different to our own! oh sure, the space Soviets are doing cool stuff happening on the other side of the giant barriers we built across our space ring (what happens when the mobile part of the ring gets to the barrier and needs to change direction?) but nobody wants to hear about that. now let me tell you about how space Asians are very polite and bow all the time.

(I really dislike Seveneves)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's not what I got out of it at all, but it's been years since I read it.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Nomnom Cookie posted:

He does do this, for more than ten pages too. One of the main characters, Rufus, he comes home late to find that 20-30 wild hogs have killed and eaten his daughter. So he starts up a traveling hog killing business.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Haha but seriously thread what's the new book about

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I found it impossible to suspend disbelief in the last section of Seveneves because it gives off the strong impression that, over a period of thousands of years, nothing really happened except for engineering projects

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

quantumfoam posted:

nah you read it right.
I just hated/still hate the "human" Culture characters more than the hyper-smug Minds in Excession.

Ever read the Y: The Last Man comic book series or watched "Hell comes to Frogtown"?
Pat Frank's MR ADAM did that poo poo first and is still freaking bizarre as hell.

The Roddy piper movie with the genital shock collar where he gets kidnapped by the nurse cult in a post-nuclear wasteland?

Not sure what the connection is

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

I found it impossible to suspend disbelief in the last section of Seveneves because it gives off the strong impression that, over a period of thousands of years, nothing really happened except for engineering projects

This is all certain nerds want from the future, forever stagnant except for new toys they get to play with in the exact same sandbox they grew up in. That's why scifi is mostly trash.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I came in here to post about the first bit of Stephenson's new book and I see I was beaten to the punch. But let me describe to you the first 20-30 pages. Gonna spoiler it but not really spoilery:

The novel starts with the queen of the Netherlands landing her plane, that she is flying herself, in Waco TX. She hits a herd of pigs on the runway and has a bad crash. At which point they climb out of the plane and meet a man named Rufus, who had been hunting the biggest of the herd of pigs, a true hybridized monster named Snout, for years Moby Dick style because it killed and ate his daughter. He is helped in his quest by a man who specializes in hunting Alligators and has been on his own quest to hunt a pack of methgators who swim up rivers in search of chemical dumping spots for meth labs

WTF Neal? This has now turned into an ironic must-read for me. Neal's vision of the effects of climate change is definitely something.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

D-Pad posted:

I came in here to post about the first bit of Stephenson's new book and I see I was beaten to the punch. But let me describe to you the first 20-30 pages. Gonna spoiler it but not really spoilery:

The novel starts with the queen of the Netherlands landing her plane, that she is flying herself, in Waco TX. She hits a herd of pigs on the runway and has a bad crash. At which point they climb out of the plane and meet a man named Rufus, who had been hunting the biggest of the herd of pigs, a true hybridized monster named Snout, for years Moby Dick style because it killed and ate his daughter. He is helped in his quest by a man who specializes in hunting Alligators and has been on his own quest to hunt a pack of methgators who swim up rivers in search of chemical dumping spots for meth labs

WTF Neal? This has now turned into an ironic must-read for me. Neal's vision of the effects of climate change is definitely something.

lmao

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

[very serious Thinker]: name of the hog....hmm...his name....yes, it is snout.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Reminder that Seveneves came about because Stephenson wanted to write about Star Trek aliens, and the first two sections of the book exist purely to get to a point where he could do that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought he said that Seveneves was the result of a "What if the moon exploded?" prompt.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Secret Santa sign-ups are going to close tonight at midnight CST, so if you're thinking about joining, now is the time.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

branedotorg posted:

The Roddy piper movie with the genital shock collar where he gets kidnapped by the nurse cult in a post-nuclear wasteland?

Not sure what the connection is
Oh there's a bunch.

MR ADAM is a 1946 scifi story where every human male, adult to child, gets sterilized worldwide by the radiation released by a nuclear accident. 12 months later, a baby girl is born. A newspaper reporter finds out the mother's husband, Homer Adam, had been 2 or 3 miles beneath the surface of the earth doing a 48 hr lead mine inspection when the radiation wave happened; and Homer Adam, the gooniest and most socially awkward person alive, is now the only fertile man left on the planet Earth.

poo poo kicks off. Thousands of women start besieging his home 24/7. Other nations start trying to kidnap Mr Adam. The most seductive Hollywood actress ever tries to spermjack Mr Adam but fails due to his social awkwardness, then starts a scientology cult based on her hotness/literal DTF-ness with cult members. The newspaper reporter & his wife repeatedly roofie Mr Adam so Mrs. newspaper reporter can have a baby. The United Nations passes a almost unanimous resolution (the USA voted no) making Mr Adam a global asset with time-shared access to every nation, the US Government responds to the UN resolution by nationalizing Mr Adams testicles and locking him deep inside a doomsday bunker. And then things escalate more culminating in Mr Adam sticking his junk in a microwave for 2 hrs and the former Hollywood actress turned cult leader becoming a US Senator thanks to her literal DTF-ness with voters.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

You kind of have to admire the guy for taking “30-50 feral hogs” and making them into a plausible plot device.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Plausible" is an interesting word choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Having only read one single review and this thread, the rest of the plot summary really makes me not want to bother with it. Hogs.novel, that is, not Homer Adam's Balls, that sounds incredible.* I just don't feel up to reading about Volcano Musk even if it's nuanced and well-presented, and no amount of feral hogs and methgators will move it up the reading list right now.

Someone post if it's actually super funny or stupid though, please, I might be tempted tomorrow.