Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

uPen posted:

How do the Two Rivers Wisdoms not know they can channel? Even if they only have one girl with the spark every few generations, and only 1 in 4 of those survive they'd still have several women wandering around who look 40 but have been chilling for centuries. During the book's timeline there's 3 or 4 girls just from this generation that have the spark so if that's the normal rate they'd be producing someone capable of living centuries every 20-50 years or so, there would be dozens of them wandering around.

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Skyl3lazer posted:

(tv magic) Not splitting the one power in to saidin/saidar is actually probably the cleanest way to remove a key part of the gender essentialism without really changing the story beats. Thinking about it more, I really like it as the solution to trans issues in the show world. Sure it feels like a big change, but when you drill in to it I think changing the dichotomy to "how men and women USE the power is different" vs the power itself being different solved a lot of issues, and is an easy distinction to add in other places.

what? did they do this in the show?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

It's true in the books as well. Saidar and Saidin are the same but since men and women are incapable of sharing information with one another nobody ever figured it out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The words "saidin" and "saidar" aren't in the first six episodes. They appear to be just sort of eliding the issue a bit.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

OK. the post I quoted was incredibly stupid so I hope they don't do that. it is One Power, with two halves.
the power coming out of logain is black and the power coming out of moiraine is white in the show so maybe they'll get into that later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

OK. the post I quoted was incredibly stupid so I hope they don't do that. it is One Power, with two halves.
the power coming out of logain is black and the power coming out of moiraine is white in the show so maybe they'll get into that later.

It's more subtle than that. The Power that Logain uses starts white, then the blackness covers it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of ways to handle it that don't involve weird :biotruths: poo poo and talk about how men have to be dominant and beat their magic into submission and whatever the gently caress else, so i really have no problem with whatever they may be aiming for

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's a lot of ways to handle it that don't involve weird :biotruths: poo poo and talk about how men have to be dominant and beat their magic into submission and whatever the gently caress else, so i really have no problem with whatever they may be aiming for

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

apparently controversial opinion here: saidin and saidar do not need to Be Fixed

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

apparently controversial opinion here: saidin and saidar do not need to Be Fixed

When they are it's called being gentled and stilled.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

jng2058 posted:

It's more subtle than that. The Power that Logain uses starts white, then the blackness covers it.

I know it's been said before, but that really is an ingenious way of showing the taint. It's the best change they've made that I've seen so far.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The only thing that bugs me about that clip is making Nynaeve an orphaned baby. Her father teaching her to track better than any boys in Emonds Field is a minor but pretty spot on bit of character that they dropped for no real reason and that bums me out a lot. Obviously this isn't a make or break thing but it's frustrating because lots of the best parts of the series are little one line details and while I'm all for changes that are in service to the new medium, little changes for no real reason are bleh to me. Can't wait until Friday, nonetheless.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

eke out posted:

this got posted in the other thread and is really cool, closeups on assembling the trolloc costumes and the carbon fiber/titanium stilts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqIVFklx14

goddamnit....ugh...i'm...hyped...

gently caress

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Soysaucebeast posted:

I know it's been said before, but that really is an ingenious way of showing the taint. It's the best change they've made that I've seen so far.

This clip has Rafe taking about what he asked for the vfx to show Saidin and lol it's so "MAKE IT AS DISGUSTING AND VILE AND SEEP IN TO THINGS"

https://youtu.be/trr7FZSumZ8

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gwaihir posted:

This clip has Rafe taking about what he asked for the vfx to show Saidin and lol it's so "MAKE IT AS DISGUSTING AND VILE AND SEEP IN TO THINGS"

Rosamund saying "The women have a structure, and use it responsibly" was pretty hilarious.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

This makes it sound like they aren't changing Saidar/Saidin at all from the books? WAFO I guess.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
We're gonna go full Mass Effect 2 evil red scar lines by the time we get to the asha man.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

There is literally no reason it has to be for the story of the book to work. It's totally possible that they bring it back after the first 6 eps but they can do men are from Mars women are from venus wrt magic without splitting the source.

I mean hell saidin and saidar could just refer to technique.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 18, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Skyl3lazer posted:

There is literally no reason it has to be for the story of the book to work. It's totally possible that they bring it back after the first 6 eps but they can do men are from Mars women are from venus wrt magic without splitting the source.

it doesn't refer to technique. it refers to two actually literally different things. the Taint on one of the two different things is responsible for most of the story.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

it doesn't refer to technique. it refers to two actually literally different things. the Taint on one of the two different things is responsible for most of the story.

Yeah. If Saidar and Saidin aren't separate discrete things, then the Taint can't be a separate, discrete thing. And if the Taint isn't a discrete thing, then Rand can't cleanse it, and you lose one of the larger tent-pole events of the series, and with it the model for the solution to imprisoning the Dark One..

Gender essentialism is dumb, but it's also woven not just into the setting of the books, but into the plot itself. You can't cut it out without gutting the plot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skyl3lazer posted:

Then you quickly run into 'why don't they just teach men to channel with saidar?'. Or why Rand has to be associated with Saidin at all.

If they were going that route we would have already seen the groundwork. You'd have men as Aes Sedai and probably at least one woman being hunted as a false Dragon. The closest we've gotten is Moiraine including Nynaeve and Egwene as potential Dragon Reborn candidates but as literally everything else is hewing to the original script I really doubt they're gonna throw out one of the central pillars of the story.

Like arguably making Saidin/Saidar the same worsens the issue because the people going insane are still all men who are just doing it for shits and giggles I guess?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Then you quickly run into 'why don't they just teach men to channel with saidar?'. Or why Rand has to be associated with Saidin at all.

If they were going that route we would have already seen the groundwork. You'd have men as Aes Sedai and probably at least one woman being hunted as a false Dragon. The closest we've gotten is Moiraine including Nynaeve and Egwene as potential Dragon Reborn candidates but as literally everything else is hewing to the original script I really doubt they're gonna throw out one of the central pillars of the story.

Like arguably making Saidin/Saidar the same worsens the issue because the people going insane are still all men who are just doing it for shits and giggles I guess?

or you run into the issue of "men are just tainted" which is basically the same issue, but somehow worse tbh

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they're probably just not saying the words because there's already too many weird sounding words to introduce new people to and there's no need to do saidar/saidin yet

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

eke out posted:

they're probably just not saying the words because there's already too many weird sounding words to introduce new people to and there's no need to do saidar/saidin yet

It really sounds like something the show should get into explaining once Rand's undeniably aware he's a channeller and Egwene/Nynaeve get some formal Tower training. Before then casual viewers don't need to know more than that magic drives only men insane.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Killer robot posted:

It really sounds like something the show should get into explaining once Rand's undeniably aware he's a channeller and Egwene/Nynaeve get some formal Tower training. Before then casual viewers don't need to know more than that magic drives only men insane.

yeah exactly, i'd be surprised if we spend much time in the tower without hearing those terms. or in some lesson while they're on the road with moiraine

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably only something that might only be even remotely relevant as a distinction starting in season 2, and even beyond that i don't think people should expect them to start dedicating a bunch of time to the insane amount of arbitrary and pointless distinctions about power levels and whatever the hell else that differ between them that have no relevance in a way that would even remotely translate well to video

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

every time i look something up and see the hilariously incomprehensible power level rankings on the wiki they make me laugh

quote:

Nynaeve al'Meara is one of the most powerful female channelers in this Age. In TWoTC she is described with a potential strength level of 3(+10), but she has still to reach her full potential, in fact her current strength in the power is at level 4(+9).

give one of the forsaken a ter'angreal power reader like vegeta

minema
May 31, 2011
The behind the scenes videos literally have Pike and others using the words saidin and saidar when explaining what the Power is, I think you can relax

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

eke out posted:

every time i look something up and see the hilariously incomprehensible power level rankings on the wiki they make me laugh

give one of the forsaken a ter'angreal power reader like vegeta

they should just hand out the character sheets from the d&d wot

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

uPen posted:

How do the Two Rivers Wisdoms not know they can channel? Even if they only have one girl with the spark every few generations, and only 1 in 4 of those survive they'd still have several women wandering around who look 40 but have been chilling for centuries. During the book's timeline there's 3 or 4 girls just from this generation that have the spark so if that's the normal rate they'd be producing someone capable of living centuries every 20-50 years or so, there would be dozens of them wandering around.

They don't Channel consciously, and in fact many if not all of them have blocks that prevent them from Channeling most of the time. It's possible that longevity is due directly to regular exposure to the Power. If they're not using it as frequently as an Aes Sedai, then maybe they live long lives, but not outstandingly long lives. Like Nynaeve may have gone weeks, heck even months, without ever touching Saidar.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I know Ally is being contrarian but her spending so much time talking about how much she loves Berelain (and ignoring how much she ignores consent) and then spending twenty minutes ranting about maidens kiss is... Somewhat annoying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I know Ally is being contrarian but her spending so much time talking about how much she loves Berelain (and ignoring how much she ignores consent) and then spending twenty minutes ranting about maidens kiss is... Somewhat annoying

Yeah they have some blind spots. The other big one that springs to mind is how they talk a lot about not judging other cultures by our own standards but then get super judgmental against the tuatha'an culture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

They don't Channel consciously, and in fact many if not all of them have blocks that prevent them from Channeling most of the time. It's possible that longevity is due directly to regular exposure to the Power. If they're not using it as frequently as an Aes Sedai, then maybe they live long lives, but not outstandingly long lives.

That would be a sound theory if not for the Kin. They channel as little as possible, but the oldest member is 600 years old. She's also pretty strong, which along with Sorilea (200+, barely channels) and Cadsuane (305 but bound) tracks with longevity being a function of strength, not usage.

By that standard, though, Wisdoms would still not live as long as their potential might suggest because without training they'd never reach their full strength.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 18, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

There's also the fact that Berelain is not in a position of power while she's in house arrest in the Stone. If anything she's being pressured by her patron High Lords.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Kin are also tower-trained, which matters.

quote:

The channelers of the One Power have a lifespan considerably longer than normal human beings. But this can vary a lot from a channeller to another, depending on many factors, such as the strength in the One Power and the sex.

A channeler's longevity roughly paralleled their strength level. Usually the strongest channelers have an expectancy of life far longer than the weakest. And the women among the channelers have a lifespan longer than men of comparable strength, which is around a ten per cent more.

In The Wheel of Time Companion is explained that in the Age of Legends the strongest female could reach the age of 800 years old (with a span between 775-825) with very few able to reach 850 and even 900 (however, surviving to 900 years was exceedingly rare). A man at strength level ++1 (at the top level) is comparable in lifespan to a woman at the top of the female strength level 1(+12) and so both fell into this 800 years age level.

At the middle of the spectrum are level 36(24) for female and 30(18) for male channelers, which fell around the 400-450 year age level.

At the bottom of the spectrum, the weakest channelers have a far less long life: a woman at the minimum level 72(60) fell into the 150-year age level, while a man at the same 72(60) fell into the 135-year age level.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power

So you only get the really long lifespans for really really powerful channellers, and there aren't many of those. If you figure most village wisdoms to be on the weaker side of the curve, and also only channelling rarely, it'd probably just turn into "wow, Old Lini is the oldest woman in the village, nobody can remember how old she is" and it getting left at that a lot of the time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They do also rarely get posted to their own village, so one can imagine an actual system where they do shuffle around as they age. In fact we don't know that the Kin don't run the can-listen-to-the-wind wisdoms.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't help but think that even if the show manages to make itself palatable in today's gender landscape, damane aren't gonna fly on TV

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

I can't help but think that even if the show manages to make itself palatable in today's gender landscape, damane aren't gonna fly on TV

Why not? Is that in any way worse than some of the gross stuff in GoT? Especially considering that all the main cast are absolutely horrified at the concept? Just have the Seanchan capture a male channeler and use him for a bit, before putting him down with the explanation of "because of the taint, they can at most be used safely for a few months before becoming useless and a danger to everything around them".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe that's where the bar is now, I don't know. I never saw GoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There's also the fact that Berelain is not in a position of power while she's in house arrest in the Stone. If anything she's being pressured by her patron High Lords.

Her introduction was her trying her hardest to force herself on rand, literally ignoring him saying no over and over