Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The stealing-formula is terrible although I don't think the rest of the series ever gets this bad.

The words "Hill Gigas" are mentioned and suddenly everyone who played FFIX shudders.

I myself spent literally 45 minutes trying to steal from that motherfucker on my second playthrough and gave up. Though at least FFIX has Master Thief, sure you can't get it until Daguerreo but it at least makes stealing not incredibly frustrating from then on.

Blue Labrador posted:

I did that once and had a great time! I ended up with like, 3 different Uhlans and it kinda ruled having an entire phalanx for a party.

Oh poo poo, I'll probably do that soon then. Even if TZA isn't the hardest game, I guess I suffer the kind of choice paralysis people who do non Fiesta runs of FFV do. Basically "oh god I don't know what combos are good" and while you can swap jobs at any time, having to redo an entire license board isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I should probably get back to zodiac age. I kinda quit in protest when they announced a switch version with class swapping or whatever, and then they ended up bringing that to ps4 anyway. I troed to get back into that save file like a year ago and i was just lost

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zodiac Age is great

I'm still partway through a playthrough with the Struggle for Freedom mod on PC that I've been really enjoying. I've been taking a break to play SMTV but Struggle for Freedom really does kick rear end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

Zodiac Age is great

I'm still partway through a playthrough with the Struggle for Freedom mod on PC that I've been really enjoying. I've been taking a break to play SMTV but Struggle for Freedom really does kick rear end.

FF12 is an excellent CRPG and is very good at that gathering party/venturing forth gameplay

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Nihilarian posted:

I should probably get back to zodiac age. I kinda quit in protest when they announced a switch version with class swapping or whatever, and then they ended up bringing that to ps4 anyway. I troed to get back into that save file like a year ago and i was just lost

You sure showed them.

I was excited and happy to buy the Switch version. FF12 is one of my faves and being able to play it handheld ruuuuuules.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You sure showed them.

I was excited and happy to buy the Switch version. FF12 is one of my faves and being able to play it handheld ruuuuuules.
yeah protest isnt really the right word i just didnt really have a better one

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really liked that old thread title about the gilgaverse which is only more appropriate given FF5’s recent rerelease, and Gilgamesh’s entry into the series as the main character

I did not like the thread title that incorrectly used the -aga nomenclature

Mods empower someone to become IK for this thread solely so they can change thread titles thanks

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 17, 2021

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Being able to respec your characters in FF12 rules.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

jokes posted:

FF12 is an excellent CRPG and is very good at that gathering party/venturing forth gameplay

I don't think I've been so offended at a forum post before - turns out comparing FF12 to Baldur's Gate is a trigger for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what that post says

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s a pretty dang good RTWP CRPG, though it’s not very open-ended.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

DourCricket posted:

I don't think I've been so offended at a forum post before - turns out comparing FF12 to Baldur's Gate is a trigger for me.

Same here, they're not even in the same category, FF12 is so much better.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

:mods:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played a lot of FFXII on PS2 and wished for a remaster for the entire PS3 gen.

You're welcome

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXII rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF12 sucks

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Twelve by Pies posted:

Googling noises on how to report a forum post to the FBI

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 sucks

Yes, but so does Baldur's Gate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WrightOfWay posted:

Yes, but so does Baldur's Gate.

Baldur’s Gate sucks more than any final fantasy including FF13, the absolute worst FF in the series. The best in the series, FF13, is better than Baldur’s Gate.

Baldur’s Gate 3, though? Hoo boy if the early access is anything to go by it’s gonna be GOTY, unless it competes with the next expansion of the best Final Fantasy: FF14.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Hmm, kind of interesting that this hasn't been added to the OP yet...

:raise:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Has anyone tried FF7 First Soldier yet? I feel like I'm fighting the touchscreen more than other players.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I should note I never played the actual Baldur's Gate games.

I did play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 on the PS2 though. Those games were awesome. It's sad we'll never get a resolution to that story.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

FFXII rules

yes

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 sucks

no

Also having finally finished FF13 for the first time, man. It could have really used better pacing. Feels like there's more story in the last two hours of the game than everything leading up to it. The game would've really benefited from having towns or something where the characters could have time to talk with one another about their situation and motivations without the constant pressure pushing them forward. Everything with Raines feels really weird and backloaded too. Having a better understanding of the game's setting made me appreciate what it was going for, but it needed more worldbuilding at the start - "a robot wants us to destroy the world I guess?" is basically all you get for story for a really weirdly long chunk of the beginning of the game since it wants to get a Rolling Start like FF7 does. Overall I think it the story was a real missed opportunity and could have been a lot better than it ended up being.

Also Lightning is a lot cooler than I gave her credit for as a kid

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 sucks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 fucks

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 fucks

e: f;b

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Twelve by Pies posted:

:emptyquote:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 trucks

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Traveller posted:

Has anyone tried FF7 First Soldier yet? I feel like I'm fighting the touchscreen more than other players.

Yeah this. I’ll try it with a controller later on but the touch screen is just too clunky. I’ve never tried other shooters with a touchpad, but I play Genshin Impact and can do the needful just fine.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MatchaZed posted:

Being able to respec your characters in FF12 rules.

I just wish it had an option to automatically fill out your boards if you have enough LP to do so, just to skip having to spend five minutes a board going through and grabbing each license one by one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF12 is not a very good game, but its not the worst Final Fantasy, which we all agree is Final Fantasy Tactics, which itself, is better than Baldur's Gate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

14 is the worst final fantasy

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Last time I played ff12 it was 2007 and it was after Halloween and I ate a bunch of candy kids didnt take. Should I play the PS2 version or the zodiac age ?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Grevlek posted:

Last time I played ff12 it was 2007 and it was after Halloween and I ate a bunch of candy kids didnt take. Should I play the PS2 version or the zodiac age ?

Play TZA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Really? I had a pretty fun time with it until 2.0 launched

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gaius Marius posted:

14 gets a new game every two years, making it the least final of fantasies.

Grevlek posted:

Play TZA, it has a bunch of improvements over the original game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Grevlek posted:

Do you have the exact 4 chests not to open in order to obtain the strongest weapon in the game memorized?

(This is me saying TZA, which avoids dumb stuff like that.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish TZA allowed you to play with the original grid. Thats its one remaining flaw other than all the other flaws and the goddamn steal gambit

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
you never get locked out of the zodiac spear in the original you just have to beat stupid long odds (or know how to precisely how manipulate the rng) in an annoying dungeon if you miss the guaranteed drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

I wish TZA allowed you to play with the original grid. Thats its one remaining flaw other than all the other flaws and the goddamn steal gambit

If you have the PC version, there are mods for that (the original grid and the steal gambit)