Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

The only thing that annoys me is the texture pop in but that's just how unreal engine works and wouldn't really be fixed. High frame rate would be cool though. Spotty performance is totally worth it for the portability though

I've hosed up a few jumps due to the framerate which isn't a big deal but it's definitely a bit unpleasant.

Just reached the Diet Building boss and got my rear end kicked lol, this thing seems to have insane HP and I'm not sure how to outlast it... guess I need to go find more stuff with good fire skills, glad I have jack o lantern at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i just realized the "tokyo destiny land" in SMT1 is supposed to be Tokyo Disneyland lol

the SNES version even has unused sprites

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

i just realized the "tokyo destiny land" in SMT1 is supposed to be Tokyo Disneyland lol

Lmao awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there a reason the couple Elemental demons I have cost like 30k to summon from the compendium and everything else is like 4-5k? They're not particularly high level; thinking maybe it's because I fused some more powerful skills onto them?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got my copy in the mail today. Letsfuckinggo.jpg

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

hell yeah

Pablo Nergigante posted:

hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Enjoy.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

Is there a reason the couple Elemental demons I have cost like 30k to summon from the compendium and everything else is like 4-5k? They're not particularly high level; thinking maybe it's because I fused some more powerful skills onto them?

It would make sense if it was based on skills for price. One of my demons had its value in the registry lowered when I went to register it to compendium even though it was higher level than it used to be, probably because I replaced a skill that was valued higher. This is anecdotal, though, and I'm not 100% certain it works like that.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've hosed up a few jumps due to the framerate which isn't a big deal but it's definitely a bit unpleasant.

Just reached the Diet Building boss and got my rear end kicked lol, this thing seems to have insane HP and I'm not sure how to outlast it... guess I need to go find more stuff with good fire skills, glad I have jack o lantern at least

You only have to get that one to 50% hp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i think the elementals are all expensive bc theyre useful in endgame fusing strats.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

All the Nahobino skills have killer animations. Just got Wrath Tempest on my phys build.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

is it just me or do kaja/nda skills seem kinda so-so in this. full rakunda only seems like it adds like 20% extra damage

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

Elemental demons always cost absurd prices because they're used to walk your other demons one step up or down in the level of their Ranks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

is it just me or do kaja/nda skills seem kinda so-so in this. full rakunda only seems like it adds like 20% extra damage

Yeah between that and them being single target for three turns I'm not really finding them super useful so far. It's an interesting twist on the formula i guess but so far it just feels like taking away one tactical consideration and not really replacing it with anything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been using sukunda and rakunda on bosses, missing and losing turns is one of the biggest factors in untimely deaths for me so far. And free damage is free damage. It will be quite nice to finally get debilitate whenever that happens though

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Fungah! posted:

I disagree. Even 20% is nothing to scoff at. Full debuffing bosses has been the only way I was able to beat some of them, Tarunda in particular feels necessary to keep from getting smoked on some bosses. The fact that it's single target doesn't matter cause bosses are by themselves 9 times out of 10 (the Riders can summon angels to help them and that's like the only time I've seen a boss with adds). Once you start getting demons with Ma- buff skills then buffing will become far easier and it's definitely worth it, I'm sending out 800+ damage Wrath Tempests with 2x Tarukaja.

The only one I will say is close to so-so is sukunda, only because it seems weaker than its Nocturne implementation, but it goes both ways so you're not constantly missing when you get sukunda'd yourself. I find Tarunda more valuable in this game than Sukunda.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

I disagree. Even 20% is nothing to scoff at. Full debuffing bosses has been the only way I was able to beat some of them, Tarunda in particular feels necessary to keep from getting smoked on some bosses. The fact that it's single target doesn't matter cause bosses are by themselves 9 times out of 10 (the Riders can summon angels to help them and that's like the only time I've seen a boss with adds). Once you start getting demons with Ma- buff skills then buffing will become far easier and it's definitely worth it, I'm sending out 800+ damage Wrath Tempests with 2x Tarukaja.

The only one I will say is close to so-so is sukunda, only because it seems weaker than its Nocturne implementation, but it goes both ways so you're not constantly missing when you get sukunda'd yourself. I find Tarunda more valuable in this game than Sukunda.

yeah i get the feeling rakunda/kaja are gonna matter a lot more once you start regularly doing damage in the 100s, 120% when youre doing 50 isnt enough to blow two turns on but an extra 20 or so per attacker is a lot better. tarunda is super good though yeah. really its just sukunda that's not great

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This whole school dungeon section after the Diet Building is so weird lol. Not sure what they're going for with the odd sad music and every fight being scripted/cutscene but I am so curious as to where it's going. I was worried it was going to get a bit Persona but that does not seem to be the case

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This whole school dungeon section after the Diet Building is so weird lol. Not sure what they're going for with the odd sad music and every fight being scripted/cutscene but I am so curious as to where it's going. I was worried it was going to get a bit Persona but that does not seem to be the case

the plot stuff about bullying, and just going back to school in general felt a little weird but the the music was sick

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

On hard mode I haven't beaten a single boss without buffs and debuffs so far. I'm nearing the end of area 2 so I'm not too far yet but I think the double stack, turn limited buffs may be their solution to bosses always spamming dekaja/dekunda late game. I definitely think it's a lot more interesting rationing turns to keep buffs up rather than throwing up 3 or 4 and forgetting about them until you get dekaja'd

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

was feeling like I was running out of money for compendium fusions in the second main zone until I managed to kill a full group of the yellow mitamas and levelled up twice + got a ton of cash from their drops. the miracle that allows all your demons to use items feels like a gamechanger

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Fiend Matador posted:

allows all your demons to use items feels like a gamechanger
just got this in the last hour myself and was gonna say the same thing.
game rules. definitely lagging a little worse in the second area but its fine.
i’ve been getting a lot of use out of sukunda against the bosses so far. misunderstood what the dampeners did, those would’ve been helpful for sure

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

drat this werewolf destroyed me lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sukunda is just as good as it's ever been. saved my rear end against the first boss + other quest bosses

i don't think it feels as strong because it's only 2 stacks

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

magatushi dispersion ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the biggest change that's been fuckin me up is how full moons are actually good for demon negotiation now. new moons are the ones that never work

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Honestly the Werewolf felt like one of the most hosed up bosses in the game and he's just a midboss. I feel like the game is getting easier as I progress, however, due to new miracles and powerful demons being fused. Idun is never leaving my party and Yoshitsune might not either we'll see.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the biggest change that's been fuckin me up is how full moons are actually good for demon negotiation now. new moons are the ones that never work

It varies by demon. Some demons are happy on new moons and pissed off on full moons, and others get happy when it's like 7/8 or 1/8.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm moving slowwwwww but just beat the first boss on hard mode; feels great

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I kept pixie longer than I probably should have thinking she was gonna evolve

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What were people's winning teams for the snake lady at the Diet Building? Got my rear end whooped hard on the first attempt, but there's still a ton of stuff I haven't explored in the area so I'm gonna go back and check that out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I kept pixie longer than I probably should have thinking she was gonna evolve

Does evolution even exist in this game, I did the same thing with Angel before giving up and fusing an archangel instead

goferchan posted:

What were people's winning teams for the snake lady at the Diet Building? Got my rear end whooped hard on the first attempt, but there's still a ton of stuff I haven't explored in the area so I'm gonna go back and check that out.

When I got her it was me, shiisa, pyro Jack, and aitvaras

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Does evolution even exist in this game, I did the same thing with Angel before giving up and fusing an archangel instead

In previous games with evolution there was always a message telling you a demon still had potential or something. That is not present in this and I'm in the 60s without having seen evolution happen on any of the usual candidates so I'm confident it's gone from this one.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

Use Sudama essence on MC and take affinities to null force, use Force Dampener when she gathers Magatsuhi. That takes away a lot of her bite. Always carry a full stock of dampeners.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

goferchan posted:

I played on normal, but I just made sure the mc had null:zan and that no one else was weak to zan if I could help it.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Regy Rusty posted:

In previous games with evolution there was always a message telling you a demon still had potential or something. That is not present in this and I'm in the 60s without having seen evolution happen on any of the usual candidates so I'm confident it's gone from this one.

Yeah I'm guessing those special fusions replaced evolutions

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve only played 3, 4, and 4A so I can’t speak to earlier games or spin-offs but so far it feels like the most challenging of them aside from 4’s weirdly tough tutorial area. Even after doing almost all side quests (I think I’ve only got 2 that I haven’t done yet not counting the ones that are too high-level for the area they’re in like the dlc and the dragon one), I’m still constantly feeling under-leveled. I’m really digging it, it’s doing a great job of keeping me on my toes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

sudama affinity, pyro jack, feng huang and high pixie. MC mostly just healed and threw chakra drops and high pixie basically did nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I’ve only played 3, 4, and 4A so I can’t speak to earlier games or spin-offs but so far it feels like the most challenging of them aside from 4’s weirdly tough tutorial area. Even after doing almost all side quests (I think I’ve only got 2 that I haven’t done yet not counting the ones that are too high-level for the area they’re in like the dlc and the dragon one), I’m still constantly feeling under-leveled. I’m really digging it, it’s doing a great job of keeping me on my toes

Well, I'm playing on Normal and I would have agreed with this a few days ago (I've been playing this game nonstop since it came out and have progressed pretty far now) but I'm reaching a point where it actually feels quite easy. There are a couple reasons for this. The first is that starting in the 40s or so you can get some really strong demons with powerful unique skills, and since the game practically shits grimoires at you you can keep these demons around and continually level them up to match your MC's level.

On top of this, essences/incense/sutras means you can shape and power up any demon to match situations and get around weaknesses. Got a demon that is weak to light? Well, just find an essence that has Resist Light on it and now they aren't weak to anything. It's a level of flexibility that isn't present in the older games without some finagling and foresight with fusions.

The other one is miracles. Some of the miracles you get are just downright broken. I won't go into details but you'll know them when you see them.

Finally, the Magatsuhi skill that guarantees crits on everything including spells is a ridiculous tool and it's something you start the game with. Pair it with the phys skills that deal increased crit damage and watch bosses melt.

Game still kicks rear end but I will probably try Hard on a subsequent playthrough.