Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm also not 100% on board with Matt and Perrin changes after episode 1 but willing to give it a try. It's interesting that they call it only "The Two Rivers" since they give each village a name in the trivia about the scene and they mentioned Taren Ferry by name.

Also very happy overall after episode 1

They go to Taren Ferry, just WAFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

th3t00t posted:

I was disappointed with the first episode and was genuinely worried. Episodes 2 and 3 were significantly better than 1 and I can’t wait to watch the rest.

Was a bit weird the dark friend girl in episode 3 got more characterization than most of our main cast.

I loved it. Because they're introducing Ishamael's opposing viewpoint of the Wheel this early.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Did they skip the first meeting with Min or is that later on?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

adhuin posted:

Did they skip the first meeting with Min or is that later on?

They skipped Baerlon, Min will most likely show up in Fal Dara.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched the first 3 episodes. I haven't read the first books in probably 20 years but I don't remember Perrin having a wife. Also, did Nynaeve track them down in the book?.

I thought the episodes showed promise. Probably my biggest complaint so far is that a lot of the action scenes feel weightless, like the footchase at the end of episode 3. They were going Bourne Identity with those cuts.

Perrin only gets married in book four to Faile. Leila is a new character. Nynaeve does in fact track them down in the first books and Lan is impressed that she's able to do so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Aiel are known to veil before killing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Mat and Perrin changes are the main thing I am kinda iffy on. Hopefully they justify them. Other stuff is cool though, I think making the whitecloaks more menacing is smart. making channeling some kind of tai chi is not how I would have approached it, but I don't think it really changes much in the overall story but will probably make some future scenes awkward when people are supposed to be channeling discreetly

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

One thing about Moraine channeling: When she made the bath water warm they didn't show the one power at all, just the effect. The camera lingered on Nynaeve and Egwene before showing her channeling in the battle almost to say "this is what they see."

This may change later, finished showering after I was on the exercise bike for all of episode one. Now on to 2 and 3!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just finished the episodes and i'm really excited to see where they go with this. like yeah they've edited a couple things, but, at the end of the day you also have to consider how things will come off to first time viewers who have never read the books. nothing really sticks out in a way that would be weird to them.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

welp i'm gonna be shipping rand and mat now

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Barreft posted:

I loved it. Because they're introducing Ishamael's opposing viewpoint of the Wheel this early.
I liked what they did with her too and that they introduced Ishamael’s nihilism.

It just seemed like they spent a lot of screen time introducing us to her as a character. We know more about random darkfriend #1’s backstory and aspirations than any of the main cast.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I'm bit disappointed in lack of diversity ... for Trollocs.
They're pretty similar to each other instead being varied looking beastmen like I expected.
Maybe the CCG art made me expect bit more variance:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

adhuin posted:

They're pretty similar to each other instead being varied looking beastmen like I expected.

yeah they didn't do so great on that

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
RAND YOU ARE THE BATMAN, 'ARRY

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Rand definitely says how do you know elayne and not egwene oh I'm an idiot he says her name

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nynaeve's actress has real strong Nynaeve energy and I am loving it.

Not loving Perrin's Fridge-wife or the character assassination of Abell and Natti Cauthan but it's not like either will show up much again.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Episode 3 gleeman patchwork cloak alert

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

adhuin posted:

If you go back over it, you'll notice more diversity. There's wolf faced ones, boar faced ones, and even an eagle faced one that Moiraine fireballs in a blink and you'll miss it shot.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Loved the sense of the dagger poisoning Mat in his conversation with Rand outside the inn in ep 3. Subtle enough that a new viewer wouldn’t think much of it, but a blaring red flag to a book reader

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
touch nothing. eat only the food you brought. but have fun exploring!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kinda sad that Mat is my favorite so far considering he’s changing actors

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
predator reboot with nyn please

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Brolander posted:

predator reboot with nyn please

As the predator or as Arnold?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gotta catch up to 3 now! It's really cool seeing everyone dig it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Three was really good, probly the best of the eps. Really liked the bartender character.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

gently caress, THIS SHOW IS ACTUALLY GOOD AHHH

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

In ep 2 did Rand wake up because he detected channeling?

doomisland fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 19, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

adhuin posted:

As the predator or as Arnold?

Arnold was the predator

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I can’t believe how well pike pulled off the manetheren story. The whole way they did that sequence. Perfect.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Thoughts on the first three eps. Spoilers for people who haven't watched yet.

Episode 1:

- Overall thought: First episode is probably the weakest feeling of the three, just due to the rushed pacing. However, I don't mind this given they want to actually finish the full series without taking 200 episodes. This episode has to do a lot of introducing and background and still gets the story moving. It suffers for it, but felt necessary.

- The opening with the Reds was a great way of showing the madness and also hopefully foreshadowing LTT appearing to Rand.
- Not super thrilled with the changes to the prophecy and so on, but it won't matter once Rand is revealed as the Dragon Reborn.
- Not a fan of the changes to Matt's family, but Matt himself being a hero is well done. And maybe they can have a redemption arc if the Perrin/Two Rivers battle stuff comes into the show.
- Like others have said, the super obvious fridging with Perrin is kind of ridiculous. I think she gets two total words before the Trolloc attack. I understand why we need to see Perrin's reluctance to violence, but probably could have been better without using a woman's death for it. Why not just keep it with Master Luhan or something to at least remove the gendered stereotype?
- Rand and Egwene getting it on was great - awkward book Rand is frustrating, and with the characters being aged up there's no way they wouldn't have boned.
- Nynaeve's story about her mentor/parent figure being turned away from the White Tower for being a peasant makes no sense if they keep Siuan as she was. Obviously possible that Nynaeve didn't get the actual story about why.
- Tam talking to Rand about the Wheel and about how "All we can do is try to do better the next time" is amazing foreshadowing for Rand on Dragonmount at the end of The Gathering Storm, and could be a fantastic callback if they keep it.
- The Trolloc attack/Moiraine and Lan fighting was loving awesome. Anyone worried about it being too non-violent can probably be assuaged by the first Trolloc that Moiraine literally rips in two. The channeling looked amazing, and I really hope they are able to keep the scale pumping up when we get to crazy Power battles later on like Dumai's Wells, Maradon, the manor-house, etc.
- RIP the Winespring Inn, haha
- Sad to miss Rand/Tam in the woods, but that would make Rand too obviously the centrepiece I think.

Episode 2:

-Overall thought: This episode is stronger than the previous, and gives the characters some time to breathe. I liked the interaction with Moiraine and the boys/Egwene. Rand comes across as a bit sulkier, but I think with the ferryman's death, it's more justified. Plus Rand didn't witness Moiraine's badassery in the battle.

- Whitecloaks come across as a bit cartoonish, but at least they have menace more than relative incompetence it feels like. I think they are going for hand-motions being required for channeling (at least for the Aes Sedai). Moiraine seems to always need to gesture, and they removed the Yellow's hands here. Makes for a decent reason how Whitecloaks could burn Aes Sedai.
- Getting the Manetheren story here is one of the closest bits that feels straight out of the books, and it works. Rosamund Pike does a great job in this episode in general.
- Rand/Egwene getting snippy with each other also feels like a nice book moment, and it doesn't last long enough to get annoying.
- The old bat in the mouth gag, classic Ishamael. Really liked this got brought in as the start of the dreams. \
- One general change to the series is how open people are generally. Moiraine is open about the search for the Dragon Reborn, she openly channels to sink the ferry, the boys/Egwene tell Moiraine about the dream and Ishamael immediately, and so on. I think this change works alright, but it's odd how little shock they have over being told that one of them is the Dragon Reborn. I guess at this point they probably just don't buy it.
- Moiraine sinking the ferry and having the ferryman die was a great shorthand for how far Moiraine is willing to go on this quest.
- Shadar Logoth! Looked so good! The dead quiet as soon as they got in, the tight streets and loving enormous wall all the way around, man the atmosphere was great. I don't mind skipping out on Mordeth, probably would have been too cheesy in a show and too obvious. Matt just following a shadow to the dagger was a good compromise. And I like Mashadar as a corrupting shadow instead of mist. I do wish they had the Trollocs/Fades still get forced into the city to show off Mashadar more. Bela better have made it out, is all I'm saying.

Episode 3:

-Overall thought: I think this the best of the three so far. Mat/Rand make a great traveling couple, and Mat's humor continues to be a highlight even with the dagger starting to work. Lan/Nynaeve have great chemistry and make that romance much more realistic (also helps he doesn't look twice her age). The Breen Spring was a good compression of all the Mat/Rand travels - working for supper, Darkfriends everywhere, Rand unknowingly using the power to break out, etc.

- Nynaeve is a badass and it works. Holy poo poo.
- Nynaeve literally tries to kill Lan, he gives her a concussion and ties her to a tree, and it is somehow basically their meet-cute. And it works!
- Glad the herbs are making an appearance!
- Liandrin is suitably evil looking without being obviously a Darkfriend.

- Egwene/Perrin stumbling through the wilderness works pretty well - they look hungry and cold.
- Perrin's dream is awesome - love the way Ba'alzamon just appears in the background for a split second here and there, very creepy. Hopper (presumably) chewing on Laila is an interesting touch - gives Perrin another reason to try to push the wolves away for a while, while it's not an overtly evil act (to the wolf I mean). Either that or it is just Perrin's internal guilt literally chewing at him.
- The Tinkers work pretty well! Sure, they could be brighter-dressed, but hard to keep bright cloth that clean in the wilderness. Wonder if they will use Aram in the same way as the books for the series.

- Mat/Rand are great together.
- I like Thom's introduction - not the same gleeman as the books, but I like this Western cowboy version I think. The song being about LTT with Rand standing there in the light is a good touch.
- Good introduction to some of the Aiel culture/dress/looks. Focus on the red hair feels obvious, but might be less so to non-readers.
- I like that I didn't guess where the Dana plotline was going until she revealed it - probably obvious in retrospect. Still a great introduction to Darkfriends being anybody and everywhere, and not having to seem evil.
- Rand using the Power in a way that is both subtle enough for him to not notice and obvious enough for the viewer was really well done.
- Interesting that the whole nihilism/break the Wheel seems to be a more upfront motive of the Dark in this telling - in the books, Darkfriends usually just wanted power/glory etc., and it was only Ishamael and The Dark One that knew the true goal.

All in all, super happy so far in comparison to how I thought it would be the first time I heard this was being made, and I can't wait for the rest of the season. The gap between seasons is going to be a bitch.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 19, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Finished all three, and definitely agree that they got stronger as they went along. Will definitely continue to see where this goes, and signs point to pretty good so far.

For the person who was worried about the Saidar/Saidin split: There are little information blurbs that pop in the sidebar that change depending on the scene (for me at least they showed up when mousing over the video). The one showing when Logain appears at the end of Ep. 3 talks about Gentling and explicitly mentions Saidin.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Perrin's wife is really unfortunate. Other than that, really great, and each episode felt better than the last.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Gully Foyle posted:

Episode 1:

- Sad to miss Rand/Tam in the woods, but that would make Rand too obviously the centrepiece I think.

I was thinking about this point too. I wonder if they do it in a flashback to avoid the upfront giveaway.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Man, if they keep this accelerated pace up in general, then The Slog is going to be half of a season.

This is a delightful adaptation that I never thought I'd see. I'd rate it higher than Game of Thrones, if only because it isn't afraid to make changes and not be beat-for-beat of its [True] source material.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

I was thinking about this point too. I wonder if they do it in a flashback to avoid the upfront giveaway.

Maybe a flickering between the present where Rand's using the Eye of the World and cementing the whole Dragon Reborn fact, the road with Tam deliriously talking, and the scene in the trailer of Tigraine on Dragonmount? Mainly I just feel like the scene on Dragonmount has to have some narrative context in the show for why we're flashing back to that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Out of a full barrel of great casting in episode 1, Padan Fain is 10000% the best.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

I've internalized that this is an adaptation - another turning of the Wheel - watched all three episodes and: no notes. I'm loving it and I'm hype for next week.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Episode 1 thought: I kind of get what they did with giving Perrin a wife, but it felt like there was a missing scene. She skipped Egwene's braiding and Perrin was checking in on her like there was something wrong with her or she was upset and then she was just dead. Maybe she was a darkfriend and started getting the dreams like Dana the barkeep? But even then it still felt like she was put in just to have someone to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Watched ep1 with my girlfriend who had never heard of Wheel of Time before a few hours ago. At some point during it she said "Brand is obviously the Dragon because he's clearly the protagonist."

I'm not sure how well this whole keeping it secret thing is going.