Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If she had just called it an adaption instead of a translation there would be no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As the resident thread Dantista, I'm having a complicated reaction to whatever the gently caress that is supposed to be

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

We're going to lay Arndt and Nabokov to rest is all I'm saying. It will be a time of healing.

This is the kind of thing where I could see Nabokov actually coming back from the dead to avenge

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

mdemone posted:

As the resident thread Dantista, I'm having a complicated reaction to whatever the gently caress that is supposed to be

"What if we did what Maria Dahvana Headley did with Beowulf, but bad."

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
it's funny how Dante is so fundamentally parochial but also so good that people try to make him more universal and wrangle it so that you shouldn't have to know about all these Viterbese banking clans to get it. Also its interesting that people only ever seem to aggressively contemporanise poetry and not prose

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ras Het posted:

it's funny how Dante is so fundamentally parochial but also so good that people try to make him more universal and wrangle it so that you shouldn't have to know about all these Viterbese banking clans to get it.

Inferno is the only canticle that is this way, because it is the most overtly political of the three. Dante was well aware that his references to damned souls would age quickly, which is why he has several of them describe their sins in broad terms initially, even if the particulars of the event are then also brought up in the conversation to help contemporaneous readers.

Dante was not writing for posterity, even though he achieved it; the Inferno text screams out to be read dramatically and enjoyed in a similar mode as one might enjoy a reality TV show today. Purgatorio and Paradiso, less so, but those canticles have different aims and techniques generally speaking.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's lots of politics in Purgatorio too and the imperial restoration theme (which isn't "parochial" of course but certainly dated) is still present in Paradiso. fwiw I liked Paradiso best, the theological discussion and the imagery are really cool and it feels like there's more room to breathe, while in Inferno and Purgatorio it feels like we're hurriedly running through all of world history

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ras Het posted:

There's lots of politics in Purgatorio too and the imperial restoration theme (which isn't "parochial" of course but certainly dated) is still present in Paradiso. fwiw I liked Paradiso best, the theological discussion and the imagery are really cool and it feels like there's more room to breathe, while in Inferno and Purgatorio it feels like we're hurriedly running through all of world history

Yeah the dominionist stuff is the one thing about Paradiso that I think doesn't connect with us at this late date. But that's totally forgivable from a dude who was shitposting on a road trip 700 years ago.

Did you read the Clive James? I was very proud of him for the effort.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

No I read the Penguin Classics, Kirkpatrick

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ras Het posted:

No I read the Penguin Classics, Kirkpatrick

That's a decent one. I think Musa captures the flair a little better sometimes. And there were some moments in Kirkpatrick that were a little too purple. But it's good enough.

I always recommend the Durling/Martinez volumes because their translation is much more direct so that you can see the actual words Dante chose, without having to confine them to any kind of rhyme scheme (and forget about terza rima in English). But the best part of the D/M editions are the endnotes of each canto, and the short essays on thematic concerns. Simply outstanding scholarship and criticism, they are a real prize of my bookshelf.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Have you been waiting since before 1986

Ah poo poo I guess since I just read about him in the news recently he won but it's because he has a new book out. I never keep track of prizes

Anyway apparently interest in him picked up with the new novel publisher decided to reissue it I guess and all of a sudden I can check out a new edition since the library ordered a bunch of copies.

Ignore my time travelling

Segue fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 18, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

please kill me

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/YassifyBot/status/1461128612896292864

it's this, but for poetry

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Segue posted:

Man, I remember Gaddis's JR being recommended through here and it's just...okay? I'm about three quarters through and while interesting conceptually it's a really long performance of one note.

People talking past each other, a cacophony of perspectives and people and pettiness and toxic men, I just wish it was edited down as you slog through yet another same-theme silliness.

Like yeah it has some funny moments but it feels stales both by the passage of time and by length.

But on the plus side, Soyinka's Nobel win means his first novel is no longer reference only at the library and I got a new addition just came in.

bruh

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

me reading 700 pages of epic funny finance morons yelling at each other with a minimum of 1 joke per page: hmm, needs editing down, and these people are all kind of bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ras Het posted:

Also its interesting that people only ever seem to aggressively contemporanise poetry and not prose

I assume it's because i'ts extremely hard to keep meter/rhyme while maintaining "meaning" in a translation. You have to make drastic choices whichever focus you choose. In prose, you're free-er to stick to the meaning but in poetry, you have to either go all one or the other.

Idk, the only poem I've ever translated was Soya's en kærligheshistorie ("A Love Story"):

hand in hand
hand in it
it in hand
it in it

Which imo still comes off more stilted than the Danish

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The recent Gaddis takedown in the lrb was funny and ensured that I never want to read him

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
While we’re on the topic, I thought I read that a lot of Divine Comedy translations fizzle out after Inferno, and never finish. Is that true?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ras Het posted:

The recent Gaddis takedown in the lrb was funny and ensured that I never want to read him

:goofy:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

so many posts baffled OP doesn't like Gaddis, but no posts on why Gaddis = gud. Curious!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ras Het posted:

got a link?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carthag Tuek posted:

Idk, the only poem I've ever translated was Soya's en kærligheshistorie ("A Love Story"):

hand in hand
hand in it
it in hand
it in it

Which imo still comes off more stilted than the Danish
I don't see anything stilted about it in English at all and would never have guessed that it was written in another language. How does it read differently in Danish?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Ras Het posted:

I'm guessing you mean this one?

This is also a baffling take because the reviewer seems to completely miss the point of both The Recognitions and JR. The chaos is the point. And just loving lmao because Gaddis actually spends half of the Recongitions mocking moronic critics like him. So my take is that someone felt butthurt and decided to take it out with this "scathing" critique.

And to criticize Gaddis as unable to write prose is just flat-out wrong:

The Recognitions posted:

Tragedy was foresworn, in ritual denial of the ripe knowledge that we are drawing away from one another, that we share only one thing, share the fear of belonging to another, or to others, or to God; love or money, tender equated in advertising and the world, where only money is currency, and under dead trees and brittle ornaments prehensile hands exchange forgeries of what the heart dare not surrender.

quote:

Each generation was a rehearsal of the one before, so that that family gradually formed the repetitive pattern of a Greek fret, interrupted only once in two centuries by a nine-year-old boy who had taken a look at his prospects, tied a string around his neck with a brick to the other end, and jumped from a footbridge into two feet of water. Courage aside, he had that family's tenacity of purpose, and drowned, a break in the pattern quickly obliterated by the calcimine of silence.

quote:

"How ... how fragile situations are. But not tenuous. Delicate, but not flimsy, not indulgent. Delicate, that's why they keep breaking, they must break and you must get the pieces together and show it before it breaks again, or put them aside for a moment when something else breaks and turn to that, and all this keeps going on. That's why most writing now, if you read it they go on one two three four and tell you what happened like newspaper accounts, no adjectives, no long sentences, no tricks they pretend, and they finally believe that they really believe that the way they saw it is the way it is ... it never takes your breath away, telling you things you already know, laying everything out flat, as though the terms and the time, and the nature and the movement of everything were secrets of the same magnitude. They write for people who read with the surface of their minds, people with reading habits that make the smallest demands on them, people brought up reading for facts, who know what's going to come next and want to know what's coming next, and get angry at surprises. Clarity's essential, and detail, no fake mysticism, the facts are bad enough. But we're embarrassed for people who tell too much, and tell it without surprise. How does he know what happened? unless it's one unshaven man alone in a boat, changing I to he, and how often do you get a man alone in a boat, in all this ... all this ... Listen, there are so many delicate fixtures, moving toward you, you'll see. Like a man going into a dark room, holding his hands down guarding his parts for fear of a table corner, and ... Why, all this around us is for people who can keep their balance only in the light, where they move as though nothing were fragile, nothing tempered by possibility, and all of a sudden bang! something breaks. Then you have to stop and put the pieces together again. But you never can put them back together quite the same way. You stop when you can and expose things, and leave them within reach, and others come on by themselves, and they break, and even then you may put the pieces aside just out of reach until you can bring them back and show them, put together slightly different, maybe a little more enduring, until you've broken it and picked up the pieces enough times, and you have the whole thing in all its dimensions. But the discipline, the detail, it's just ... sometimes the accumulation is too much to bear."

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

so many posts baffled OP doesn't like Gaddis, but no posts on why Gaddis = gud. Curious!

he's good because he writes good and creates compelling characters and interesting plots. hth

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

thehoodie posted:

creates compelling characters and interesting plots. hth

Hmm I don't know. Plots? Kind of sounds like a fantasy book.

Edit: i cant commit to the bit! I just want to see some effort posts like that Murakami one a couple pages back.

I’ll do one on Light in August once I finally finish it.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 19, 2021

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Hmm I don't know. Plots? Kind of sounds like a fantasy book.

Edit: i cant commit to the bit! I just want to see some effort posts like that Murakami one a couple pages back.

I’ll do one on Light in August once I finally finish it.

i obviously meant plots as in conspiracies... not really but there are lots of good conspiracies too!

anyway its been too long since i've read jr or recognitions to do an effortpost but whenever i read agape agape or carpenter's gothic i will see if i have any effort

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

thehoodie posted:

And to criticize Gaddis as unable to write prose is just flat-out wrong:

The middle one is fun but the other two just read like some dumbo's idea of what "fine writing" should be

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I love talking about that book. The descent into the underworld is one of the most memorable chapters ever. Make sure to read up on the ancient Mexica myths explored in the book. The entire book consists of adapted mythology.

I love how--I want to say--phantasmagorical the whole novel becomes when she crosses the border. I ordered the collection that includes Kingdom Cons and The Transmigration of Bodies, and I am very excited to read those as well.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I love how--I want to say--phantasmagorical the whole novel becomes when she crosses the border. I ordered the collection that includes Kingdom Cons and The Transmigration of Bodies, and I am very excited to read those as well.

Yeah, it really does. Also her brother’s new life, how about that for a plot twist. I should read more Herrera.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I should read more Herrera.

My thought exactly. :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't see anything stilted about it in English at all and would never have guessed that it was written in another language. How does it read differently in Danish?

I guess it's not so bad. Probably cause I know the Danish it feels "off"?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath posted:

I picked up Mark Twain's "Roughing It" for the first time since high school and I forgot (or didn't realize in the first place) how funny he is. Every single paragraph is a joke

He's just reached (Great) Salt Lake City and has spent 10 pages dunking on Mormons

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I'm guessing you mean this one?

this seems to take a lot of weird issues with like, the basic concept that a book can be long and that the funny jokes are funny. but also the complaint that the novels don't have enough structure is baffling since all of his books were specifically written with some constraint in mind that determined the structure.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It also doesn't seem like much of a dunk to point out that a work where two characters embody different conceptions of art (palimpsestic and structurally elegant) is itself an example of the tension between them. That's kind of the point

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Short book rec: Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O’nan. I really love it, mostly because it’s about service industry people with so-so lives and nowhere to go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Read some Alpo Ruuth (real literature). gently caress all y'all.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Read Paradise Lost and Beowulf. One was way more Christian than I expected, the other one met my expectations.

I think Book IX was my favourite of PL, but maybe I was just hyper focused while reading and they are all just as good. Now I guess I should read about the civil war the english apparently had, I think I’d never heard of it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Milton was no Dante.

*snobbishly clicks Post*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Nemo posted:

Now I guess I should read about the civil war the english apparently had, I think I’d never heard of it.
I know American education is a joke, but this is really something. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I know American education is a joke, but this is really something. :sigh:

What? I'm not american. Not sure if you are british or american, but please, don't overestimate how relevant that kind of event is to the rest of the world.

Edit: some quick reading tells me that it was about how the english king should rule. Why would other countries teach it?

mdemone posted:

Milton was no Dante.

*snobbishly clicks Post*

I do have the divine comedy coming up next.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 28, 2021