Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cerepol posted:

It's a good pitch, I did really like The Faded Suns trilogy as well and shouldn't let the genre label hold me back because I've become disillusioned by other authors.

If you want to see Cherryh go "genre labels are stupid and here's why", read her 40k in Gehenna. It's a sci-fi! But it's a fantasy! But it's about generational cultural development!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Sibling of TB posted:

The thing I had in mind was the stuff about pretending you can't understand the language you don't identify as as your primary spoken language. It's plausible to me that society has that as a norm but I really can't tell if anyone else thinks that.

Other thing I'm finding again, going through their remembrance day stuff, is that their society and world sound so much better than what we have now. Oh my god I want to live there except for all the garbage that happens after.

Too Like the Lightning posits a world in which everyone’s concerns, motivations, and conflicts can be understood through the lens of some offshoot of continental enlightenment philosophy. It’s the sort of book only a Byzantine historian and classicist could/would write.

The Mycroft crime reveal is one of the few, genuine ‘oh holy poo poo’ moments I’ve had with a book recently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ToxicFrog posted:

Told my daughter I was going to stop the current book I was reading because I wasn't enjoying it very much and read the Enchanted Forest books instead and she was pingponging off the walls at the prospect of being able to discuss them with me :kimchi:

That's really awesome, and feel free to share her reactions to your discussions, I remember loving those books as a kid and then again as a teen.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I’m re-reading Book of the New Sun. It’s really good and, unlike when I read it as a teenager, I’m having a relatively easy time making sense of the narrative

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Too Like the Lightning posits a world in which everyone’s concerns, motivations, and conflicts can be understood through the lens of some offshoot of continental enlightenment philosophy. It’s the sort of book only a Byzantine historian and classicist could/would write.

The Mycroft crime reveal is one of the few, genuine ‘oh holy poo poo’ moments I’ve had with a book recently.

The whole thing with set-sets never really sat right with me. The people against them are pretty much universally portrayed as bad. Cookie, the ultra karen, creepy guy called Felix Faust, the nuturists in general.

But the whole set-set thing does seem generally horrible. Like for one kind of them the babies are raised in VR rigs so that their brains adapt to 4d space, and then the final step (common to all set-sets) is a chemical/surgical treatment that sets their brains that way and stops all future personality growth/development. These kids are then sold other bashhouses/companies.

None of those steps sounds good to me. There is probably an Epstein Bash House that raises set-sets that can only get aroused by wrinkled billionaires. And there would be no laws against it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Selachian posted:

I always liked Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books, although they're a bit dated at this point (and Foster's writing is never more than serviceable).

Looking it up, I see there are at least half a dozen Pip and Flinx books I never got around to reading. Maybe someday.

From what I recall of his writing they'll match the warm embrace of senility nicely, so there's that to look forward to

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I’m re-reading Book of the New Sun. It’s really good and, unlike when I read it as a teenager, I’m having a relatively easy time making sense of the narrative

I'm reading it for the first time and yeah, it's not as dense or inscrutable as I was led to believe but also I'm pretty sure I'm being lied to often, if not constantly, by Severian, though I've yet to see any conclusive "evidence" of that, I think. I have no idea if that's true and Severian is just a classic example of an unreliable narrator, and if it is maybe it's common knowledge about the books if it is, but I went in not knowing that was likely (really I went in knowing nothing about the books other than they're set in a post-post-apocalypse Earth) and it's added some interesting snarls to the book as I've gone on. I'm only about a quarter of the way into Claw, but I'm really liking the books so far.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

What is the 400 page novella referred to in the thread title

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you want to see Cherryh go "genre labels are stupid and here's why", read her 40k in Gehenna. It's a sci-fi! But it's a fantasy! But it's about generational cultural development!
What's the fantasy part of it, and how is "generational cultural development" at odds with science fiction?

Love the book but don't understand praising it as a subversion of the genre.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cerepol posted:

I thought that was the case in all readings regardless of age re:catcher?

In topic of Scifi, is there a good longer series like Cherryh's Foreigner series? It's too soon to do a restart but I crave something similar.

Not scifi, but I'd second the recommendation for the Fortress series -- they have a lot of thematic parallels (although, sadly, no equivalent for Illisidi-daja that I recall). The first four books form one series, and then Fortress of Ice is a sort of timeskip epilogue written years later.

I will say that the first book starts out incredibly slow and I actually bounced off it several times. It picks up when Tristen finally leaves the tower and starts meeting and interacting with people who aren't what'shisface the ancient wizard.

More generally, "dropping a human in amongst a bunch of aliens and seeing what happens" is kind of Cherryh's whole thing; you might also want to check out the Chanur series (five books) or some of her standalones like Cuckoo's Egg. They're all generally faster-paced than Foreigner, though, which is...extremely sedate.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PupsOfWar posted:

What is the 400 page novella referred to in the thread title

Ninurta posted:

Tor released a sequel to this last month, How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It. I haven't picked it up yet as it's unfortunately a full-sized novel price of $9.99 for a 400 page novella. It's getting good reviews so I will probably pick it up once I've thinned out my queue or when I have a few more digital credits to throw at it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rule-Empire-Get-Away-ebook/dp/B0827TJHT8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kj+parker&qid=1601253613&sr=8-1

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ianmacdo posted:

The whole thing with set-sets never really sat right with me. The people against them are pretty much universally portrayed as bad. Cookie, the ultra karen, creepy guy called Felix Faust, the nuturists in general.

But the whole set-set thing does seem generally horrible. Like for one kind of them the babies are raised in VR rigs so that their brains adapt to 4d space, and then the final step (common to all set-sets) is a chemical/surgical treatment that sets their brains that way and stops all future personality growth/development. These kids are then sold other bashhouses/companies.

None of those steps sounds good to me. There is probably an Epstein Bash House that raises set-sets that can only get aroused by wrinkled billionaires. And there would be no laws against it.

She deliberately wrote the society with the intention that readers would think some parts of it were great and some parts were hosed up, and that people would disagree on which parts were which. I'm not sure who likes the set-sets though.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Raising Steam (Discworld #40) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FIN0TGY/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Working my way through The Pariah and frankly it ain't getting better. Anyone else read this yet? Just wondering if it gets good or if it's just the same crap from the beginning. I'm at the part with the meeting in the woods with all the outlaw people. I dunno if it happens more than once, but if it does I'm at the first.

I'm just having a really hard time trying to care about this foundling thief and his work in this merry band of outlaws. He sucks, the outlaws suck, and it's pretty boring.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Working my way through The Pariah and frankly it ain't getting better. Anyone else read this yet? Just wondering if it gets good or if it's just the same crap from the beginning. I'm at the part with the meeting in the woods with all the outlaw people. I dunno if it happens more than once, but if it does I'm at the first.

I'm just having a really hard time trying to care about this foundling thief and his work in this merry band of outlaws. He sucks, the outlaws suck, and it's pretty boring.

I liked it but it doesn't really change too much, scenes change, more characters are introduced, there's a bigger narrative but the vibe is pretty constant.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, drat. From the synopsis I was expecting it to be more actiony/adventurey than it is. Guess I'll just try it again later when I'm more in the mood for this speed of story.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sibling of TB posted:

The thing I had in mind was the stuff about pretending you can't understand the language you don't identify as as your primary spoken language. It's plausible to me that society has that as a norm but I really can't tell if anyone else thinks that.

The language stuff is really weird. People keep treating other languages as unbreakable codes, which sort of implies that they have less capable machine translation than we do, and that surveillance is so complete that it is literally impossible for someone to have secretly taught themself modern Greek.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

I could never imagine Harry Turtledove writing such books.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Goon recced Constelis Voss is free on amazon today.

quote:

Want a savvy, subversive LGBTQ+ sci-fi book series that slaps?
CONSTELIS VOSS is your ticket to Be Gay Do Crimes~

Obviously, every single author under the sun is going to say their book is the best book to ever exist in the history of the world.

While I'm sure the CONSTELIS VOSS trilogy is actually not that, what I am sure of is that by supporting my work this is what you'll get:

You'll help center bi stories which cuts down on bi erasure
You'll be supporting a trans indie author, which is rad AF
You'll get a viciously smart space romp that rewards you upon multiple readings
I may come to your house and feed you lasagna for your efforts, actually
A fun sci-fi story with lots of swear words and a lovable cast of characters.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Bone ships series by RJ Barker is easily the best fantasy I have read for quite some time.
A little bit of Hobb, a little bit of Hornblower and a fantasy world where the story matters more than the world building.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Book mail finally, finally arrived!

I've got the Gollancz black books Conan and it's gorgeous. The one from this series:

I have four of these. Necronomicon, Lyonesse, Conan and a very similar binding, but blue, of the Earthsea books. They're just really gorgeous, the typeface is lovely and they're easy to read. I want to get the rest of em. I put the Dune collection in that binding on my Christmas list last year and my sister, well-meaning, got me a wholly different edition that doesn't match.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

StrixNebulosa posted:

You had me at lasagna

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh yes, this sounds like my jam. Thanks for the heads up!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well that review instantly turned me off lmfao. Jesus Christ.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Media literacy, meaning-making and semiotics
You can't have subversive LGBTQ+ sci-fi stories without a methodical hand.

Every symbol has been lovingly crafted to give you a story that you can read 7 different ways to Sunday.

CONSTELIS VOSS is the literary gift that just keeps on giving.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DurianGray posted:

Oh yes, this sounds like my jam. Thanks for the heads up!

:cheers:

Larry Parrish posted:

Well that review instantly turned me off lmfao. Jesus Christ.

What book review would win you over instantly?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

:cheers:

What book review would win you over instantly?

i just kind of ignore every spiel that talks about why I should read something instead of a vague synopsis. this is especially important in the web novel world where 99% of them just list genres like an ingredients list at a diner. but i am especially instantly repulsed by saying it'll make me woke to read some idiots book or whatever. i could go in to the political implications but mostly the idea of consumption = expression is insanely gross.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

i just kind of ignore every spiel that talks about why I should read something instead of a vague synopsis. this is especially important in the web novel world where 99% of them just list genres like an ingredients list at a diner. but i am especially instantly repulsed by saying it'll make me woke to read some idiots book or whatever. i could go in to the political implications but mostly the idea of consumption = expression is insanely gross.

I'm kind of with you on this, I absolutely love stories with strong queer themes or relationships but nothing sets off my danger signals like a synopsis that goes

- It's LBGT
- It's LGBT
- It's LGBT

which immediately makes me wonder how well the story works outside of doing a representation

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean putting the progressive credentials ahead of even a plot blurb is pushing it

Which to be clear the book itself does not do!

quote:

On the dystopian planet-sized ship CONSTELIS VOSS, an android receives a 90s-era personality file. Alex is born as the only android to contain human memories. In his quest for understanding just who he truly is, he discovers curiously familiar friends, a cruel technocratic dictatorship and a time-bending mystery that threatens everyone aboard the ship.

Remembering his past means solving the mystery. Solving the mystery means destroying the dictatorship. Destroying the dictatorship means saving the world. Saving the world means...becoming the villain.

But will Alex succeed without losing himself, his friends, and dooming the entire human race in the process? The road to hell is paved with good intentions, after all.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 20, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean putting the progressive credentials ahead of even a plot blurb is pushing it

Which to be clear the book itself does not do!

now see i still am not sure I'd want to read it, but it at least tells me about what the book actually is lol. you'd think with all the trash I read I just kind of yolo into book picks but it's more like I looked at 200 that day and read 3 of them

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's free which means it is in my Kindle Library now, and it can't be worse than some of the rando stuff Amazon recommends me

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's free which means it is in my Kindle Library now, and it can't be worse than some of the rando stuff Amazon recommends me

i just read the first few sample pages and i wouldn't be so sure, you pretty wine-mouthed little thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just finished Conan short story “Phoenix on the Sword” and goddamn that was good. The setup was interesting (gently caress slavers), the villains terrible, the action furious and bloody - and the unknowable horror from beyond space and time was a great cap to it all.

The repeated emphasis on Conan’s barbarianism felt very weird, like he’s a different breed of human entirely, but it worked to explain why he could see a soul-shattering horror and react with pure aggressive rage instead of giving up and dying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His INT is high but his WIS is low, so he's cunning but when he gets vaguely confused by something he just goes CONAN SMASH PUNY WEIRD THING!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yah, Conan is actually a pretty smart dude. Smart enough to realize he is so strong and good at killing things that this is very often his best option.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What's the fantasy part of it, and how is "generational cultural development" at odds with science fiction?

Love the book but don't understand praising it as a subversion of the genre.

Wow I missed this, sorry for the delayed response! With the caveat that it's been some years since I read 40k in Gehenna, IIRC the phases go like this: it starts as a sci-fi about a colony dealing with being abandoned -> devolves slowly into generational cultural development as the youngsters develop new and wilder cultures (especially with the lizards) -> becomes full-blown fantasy with lizard-riding warfare with a society that has never known spaceflight. Like, if you cut out the first half of the book and focused entirely on that sequence it'd read as straight fantasy.

I am fascinated at how Cherryh links sci-fi/fantasy genre labels to tech levels. Not that she does this explicitly, but the feel of her books.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

HopperUK posted:

I've got the Gollancz black books Conan and it's gorgeous. The one from this series:

I have four of these. Necronomicon, Lyonesse, Conan and a very similar binding, but blue, of the Earthsea books. They're just really gorgeous, the typeface is lovely and they're easy to read. I want to get the rest of em. I put the Dune collection in that binding on my Christmas list last year and my sister, well-meaning, got me a wholly different edition that doesn't match.
I almost bought that Conan omnibus, but the Amazon reviews mentioned that some of the stories are missing pages and even chapters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The repeated emphasis on Conan’s barbarianism felt very weird, like he’s a different breed of human entirely

This reflects Howard's...interesting ideas about culture and race. If you view it uncharitably, it's basically a rationalization for why Northern Europeans are superior to both "civilized" Southern Europeans and East Asians and "savage" Native Americans and Sub-Saharan Africans.

This is complicated by the cyclical aspect; Howard believed that all "races" go through periods of "savagery" and "civilization" as well as "barbarism." But this doesn't negate the element of biological racism because race and culture are deeply intertwined in this worldview; "races" that sink deep enough into "savagery" will "degenerate" into literal apes.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHBV4ZX/