Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ChubbyChecker posted:

had they changed the aes sedai vows? iirc they had something about it being allowed to cast lightning bolts at shadowspawn

Technically it also allows them to use the power against darkfriends too, even when not in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ChubbyChecker posted:

perrin's wife was a completely unnecessary character. nothing would have changed if she had been removed

I don't disagree, but we had like 9 books of him being constantly afraid of injuring people and hating the axe with little justification in the text. Murking a few white looks in a rage while afraid for life was hardly enough for it, so I can't really argue with wanting to give that a better justification. But unless we find out she was a dark friend or something, you could gotten the same out of him accidentally killing another blacksmith apprentice or villager hiding in the smithy

Though it's gonna make his romance with Faile even more disfunctional that it already was

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Though it's gonna make his romance with Faile even more disfunctional that it already was

at least it will be a different reason than the canonical one, that they are both idiots

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the manetheren speech's placement and execution was really odd

it would have worked so much better in its original place

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

the manetheren speech's placement and execution was really odd

it would have worked so much better in its original place

They were already struggling to cram everything they needed into that first ep, totally makes sense why it was moved

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

had they changed the aes sedai vows? iirc they had something about it being allowed to cast lightning bolts at shadowspawn

I think it just tightens it up. If you're close enough to lightning a trolloc, your life is in danger.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JOHN SKELETON posted:

A friend was criticizing the costumes as being over the top colorful and modern for the supposed time period. Which, ok I guess, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but what I do know is that the Whitecloaks look absolutely perfect.

People already replied to you, but I will add:

-It isn't a 'time period', it's a fantasy setting. With literally different cultures than ours.
-Even if it was a 'time period', it isn't really 1200s Middle Ages. Technologically speaking it's more ~1650 but without gunpowder.
-Even if it was a 'time period', people in middle ages or even before liked colorful stuff. Even to the point of being garish, some times. The limit was economic (a poor peasant wouldn't have them) and I think they used a few less colors than now, as they didn't have the correct way to do tinctures for a pair of them. Maybe that was more in Roman times and I'm mixing it up.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The fridgeing was very funny in 2021 when they made such a big deal about gender dynamics in the promo stuff. This lady gotta die so people don't think Perrin is a pussy for not being willing to go to violence immediately.

Even if the wife was a darkfriend, are they going to explore that in flashbacks? I think not. Its not Legion

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I do agree that it's actually really silly how much the producers were going on for years about being inclusive and sensitive to 21st century race and gender dynamics and then they went and added a completely new female character just to fridge in episode one.

Looks like there's still a teeny bit of gender essentialism in there after all :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It almost feels like they were like "Hey, we can do this because we're so clearly not doing it for the normal reason" and thought it'd get a pass.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

It almost feels like they were like "Hey, we can do this because we're so clearly not doing it for the normal reason" and thought it'd get a pass.

If its not for the normal reasons they have some work ahead of them to make that pay off. Who knows, maybe I will feel shame in 2 weeks at doubting the writers and shake my fist at the sky. Given how fast forward the narrative is I don't see a flashback episode being a thing in season 1 though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Interview with Rafe Judkins and the guy who did the GQ article here:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/19/22792149/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-with-zach-baron-and-rafe-judkins

Turin Turambar posted:

-It isn't a 'time period', it's a fantasy setting. With literally different cultures than ours.
-Even if it was a 'time period', it isn't really 1200s Middle Ages. Technologically speaking it's more ~1650 but without gunpowder.
-Even if it was a 'time period', people in middle ages or even before liked colorful stuff. Even to the point of being garish, some times. The limit was economic (a poor peasant wouldn't have them) and I think they used a few less colors than now, as they didn't have the correct way to do tinctures for a pair of them. Maybe that was more in Roman times and I'm mixing it up.

Yeah, if anything the costumes are more subdued than they should be for the theoretical time-period-equivalent.

That said the Whitecloak costumes are probably the biggest problem overall in terms of realistic outfits so far

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1451048554315714564?s=20

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

overall this has been a weird but fun experience so far

i first read any of these books when I was ~14ish so there was definitely a confused moment of "wait did I forget Perrin having an entire wife??!?"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Turin Turambar posted:

Also its set 3000 years in the future from a timeline that is probably thousands of years in OUR future. So lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainFortea posted:

It gets slightly more of a pass from me because at least now the big, strong guy with the cool powers and a really big connection to Norse mythology isn't a literal lone wolf who doesn't know how to talk to women. But only slightly more.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Obviously the solution would have been for Perrin to have a husband who he accidentally killed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm probably going to have to see what comes up with the rest of this season in regards to the laila thing before i give too much of a poo poo, offhand. don't really see a reason to try to form a complete picture with less than half of the episodes out.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

One thing i remember being pretty unclear in The Eye of the World (and equally so in the show so far) is Two Rivers' relationship to the rest of the world

initially it seems like a completely isolated backwater (e.g. the Shire)

later however we find out it's entirely within Andor, the people there just don't seem very aware of being in Andor

so rand shows up in Caemlyn like "hey what's this place" like it ain't where Tam's taxes have presumably been ending up for years

maybe I'm just underestimating the limitations of information availability in a pre-industrial society
would people in Auvergne in 1500 have been like "Paris? What's that?"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

so rand shows up in Caemlyn like "hey what's this place" like it ain't where Tam's taxes have presumably been ending up for years

It's called out specifically that the Two Rivers haven't seen a tax collector in like a 100 years.

The only taxes they've been paying is to the council.

like, they've *heard* of Caemlyn, and read about it in books. But that's as far as it goes.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

that's buck wild!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the two rivers is literally just ignored by andor and the only 'ownership' the latter claims is basically only due to map borders and the way they're drawn which have had no relevance whatsoever to the people in the two rivers. there's no interaction at all, so it's why the people from there kind of laugh about royal claims to that area.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm probably going to have to see what comes up with the rest of this season in regards to the laila thing before i give too much of a poo poo, offhand. don't really see a reason to try to form a complete picture with less than half of the episodes out.

how dare you approach this rationally *tears up ur tvtrope bingo card*

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Leo dacaprio meme but I’m pointing out all the tropes as i watch a tv show, hooting and cheering like mad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yea, but coming up with theories and geeking out about them is part of the fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Laila worked for me :shrug: particularly since we got to see Perrin hulk the gently caress out

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainFortea posted:

It's called out specifically that the Two Rivers haven't seen a tax collector in like a 100 years.

The only taxes they've been paying is to the council.

like, they've *heard* of Caemlyn, and read about it in books. But that's as far as it goes.

Not just that; Moiraine says that there's hardly a nation in Randland that actually holds the land it claims on a map. Andor is just exceptional in having lost all but nominal claim over a region the size of another kingdom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but coming up with theories and geeking out about them is part of the fun.

yeah i mean, theories are good and fine. i think it sucks that they fridged her right away but part of me maybe feels like they have further plans for the character, especially if she actually was a darkfriend like some people think she might be. i'll just have to wait and see, i guess.

mostly i feel like it'll be a weird and wasted opportunity if literally they added an entirely new character, gave her two lines, and then iced her for good, you know? which it's entirely possible they did, but i get the feeling there's maybe something more planned, and it could involve fantasy satan with the power over dead people's souls.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Not just that; Moiraine says that there's hardly a nation in Randland that actually holds the land it claims on a map. Andor is just exceptional in having lost all but nominal claim over a region the size of another kingdom.

Eh, the Two Rivers itself isn't big, it really is a small part of Andor. It was itself just a tiny part of Manetheren, but it was the central part right next to the capital.

One thing I've heard people complain about is the small size of the longbows in the show, but the book longbows made no sense in the world of the Wheel of Time. They are obviously meant to be analogous to the English longbows of the Hundred Years War fame. But the training required to draw and aim with accuracy was lifelong and difficult, to the point of the crown at various point issuing laws requiring training or banning non-archery sports.

Yet somehow the Two Rivers, who haven't seen conflict on any significant scale in centuries and have no centralized source of authority or power, maintain not only the bows themselves but train to the point where they are taking on Trolloc armies with very little warning and providing forces of hundreds or even thousands of archers to the conflicts leading up to the Last Battle.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Maybe they like them and find them fun.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

Yet somehow the Two Rivers, who haven't seen conflict on any significant scale in centuries and have no centralized source of authority or power, maintain not only the bows themselves but train to the point where they are taking on Trolloc armies with very little warning and providing forces of hundreds or even thousands of archers to the conflicts leading up to the Last Battle.

yeah it'd make more sense if we learned that they're semi-notable for longbow companies during major wars or something. enough that it's understood by generals from kingdoms in the area that you'd expect the region to provide archers

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

The books frequently said that two rivers Bowman would practice all the time, for hunting and for sport.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There was a certain cultural element to the english longbow, though. Robin Hood and local archery contests and so forth. It was definitely nationally encouraged by the government but there was also the cultural trend to encourage in the first place.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jedit posted:

Andor is just exceptional in having only lost all but nominal claim over a one region the size of another kingdom.

Andor was forced to chose (within living memory, from Morgase's account) between retaining Two Rivers wool and tabac and rich ores form another part of the kingdom, and chose the iron and gold. Most nations have lost far, far more.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
they were just out there grinding, ready to be a bramble to his hand again when time came to hop off the bench

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

And why don’t they make the whole city wall out of cuendillar???

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

buffalo all day posted:

And why don’t they make the whole city wall out of cuendillar???

Egwene could make it happen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Amazon has a merch store up but it's mostly kinda lame

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/0BC43353-8250-4BAF-88F9-93C728F3EE38

No rings, no swords, no tainted daggers that will drive you mad

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Not gonna lie if I saw somebody wearing one of those quote shirts I would pretend I'd never heard of any of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dads: A Spectrum

also included in the spectrum of daddery (ffxiv spoilers) gaius van baelsar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
how do none of those shirts have images from the intro