Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seeing that gaudy NFT of Chadwick Boseman was probably the worst. Can't we leave that poor man in peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

yea I've always been a pretty big 'when you're dead you're dead, just treat the body with dignity for the family and don't handwring about the sanctity of death' person but it feels like there needs to be some mechanism to prevent Pepsi from forcing a CGI Anne Frank to reenact the Kylie Jenner ad or whatever absolute hellzone we're heading for. Like, the actors and poo poo being pushed into movies post-death are gonna turn out to be the test case for what we'll allow and poo poo's gonna get GRIM

for that to work Pepsi would first need to bribe whoever the publisher of the Anne Frank Diaries is, I suppose, or the right holders of the estate or whatever

of course yeah, that could happen

but I'm still a bit baffled by this new Hollywood Zombie CGI fad, what is the legality behind it, exactly? does hollywood just put poo poo like "we own your soul" into their contracts or what, anyway all this poo poo sounds legally very flimsy to me, and if this keeps happening sooner or later angry relatives are gonna start suing

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Mentioning holograms, they do have those in Star Wars, maybe it would have been less bad to do the Tarkin scene like that where he's somewhere else at the time

Same with Vader. Just a bunch of people dissing Krennic over space Skype.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think completely digital actors will become an actual thing eventually. There were multiple attempts in the 1990s, but the technology to do it wasn't ready yet. Virtual idols are now actually a thing, so it isn't too much of a stretch for it to happen with actors. Especially with voice synthesizing getting better and better.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Libluini posted:

but I'm still a bit baffled by this new Hollywood Zombie CGI fad, what is the legality behind it, exactly? does hollywood just put poo poo like "we own your soul" into their contracts or what, anyway all this poo poo sounds legally very flimsy to me, and if this keeps happening sooner or later angry relatives are gonna start suing

It's completely legal because all these dead people are being CGI reanimated with direct permission of their families or estates, it can't be done without that. Ghostbusters has CGI Harold Ramis in it because the movie was made by his son.

The ethical issue will be that at some point estates increasingly distant from the deceased could just take the money - Robin Williams locked up his rights for 25 years and his daughter is outspoken against the practice so he's probably safe for decades beyond that, but eventually what happens when the controlling estate of his rights is something like his great-great grandchildren?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's simple: virtual actors don't age or demand things like lunch breaks. If the effects studio that currently animates the character that's 49% Natalie Portman's likeness and 49% ScarJo's likeness decides to charge more money well the studio owns ScarPo and just hires another effects shop for the next movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think it'll take a while for it to be worth the while. virtual idols range from simple voice synthesisers like hatsune miku backed by motion-captured movement, to essentially real-time actor masking like vtubers. at the former end of the scale, we will not see digital actors for a long, long time, for the simple reason that motion-capturing a dance performance can be used over and over again for concerts or remixed, but motion-capturing a performance of avatar will be used once, in the movie avatar. there won't be a new alien movie starring sigourney weaver made out of the motion-capture of her in avatar. the tools to digitally create a convincing physical performance barely exist outside of motion capture because we quickly figured out it was by far the quickest and easiest way to do it. on the latter end of the scale, that's just sigourney weaver in avatar, an actor.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghostlight posted:

i think it'll take a while for it to be worth the while. virtual idols range from simple voice synthesisers like hatsune miku backed by motion-captured movement, to essentially real-time actor masking like vtubers. at the former end of the scale, we will not see digital actors for a long, long time, for the simple reason that motion-capturing a dance performance can be used over and over again for concerts or remixed, but motion-capturing a performance of avatar will be used once, in the movie avatar. there won't be a new alien movie starring sigourney weaver made out of the motion-capture of her in avatar. the tools to digitally create a convincing physical performance barely exist outside of motion capture because we quickly figured out it was by far the quickest and easiest way to do it. on the latter end of the scale, that's just sigourney weaver in avatar, an actor.

If it does happen, it will almost certainly be a slow process. I don't think movies are suddenly going to be all digital actors. It will probably start with non-human characters, and as the technology progresses and is more accepted, movies might start having digital actors. but yes, it will take awhile.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
In Halloween Kills I thought they'd CGI'd a Donald Pleasence or cobbled one together from old footage for a few scenes and thought that was a bit crummy, but I later found out that they used an actor who looked just like him and dubbed his lines with another actor who sounded just like him and I found that much more impressive for some reason.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If it does happen, it will almost certainly be a slow process. I don't think movies are suddenly going to be all digital actors. It will probably start with non-human characters, and as the technology progresses and is more accepted, movies might start having digital actors. but yes, it will take awhile.

they should just add in neural networks taking over the script writing, to complete the full poo poo circle

now that's the kind of movie I would like to watch

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Nostalgia Nerd investigates a ghost in the beeb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDgG5MKndo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy! who's your favorite vtuber!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UV4IGooxk

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
what separates digital actors from being cartoons

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Seemlar posted:

It's completely legal because all these dead people are being CGI reanimated with direct permission of their families or estates, it can't be done without that. Ghostbusters has CGI Harold Ramis in it because the movie was made by his son.

The ethical issue will be that at some point estates increasingly distant from the deceased could just take the money - Robin Williams locked up his rights for 25 years and his daughter is outspoken against the practice so he's probably safe for decades beyond that, but eventually what happens when the controlling estate of his rights is something like his great-great grandchildren?

Jason Reitman is not the son of Harold Ramis.

As far as likeness rights, it's one of those things that is pretty weird and has a lot of patchwork laws that differ between states (and between countries). That 25-year clause in Robin Williams' will is probably only enforceable in a few states, but fortunately those states include New York and California, which goes a long way, particularly if he registered his likeness as a trademark. If someone wanted to do GCI Anne Frank and they weren't specifically doing the story from The Diary of Anne Frank, it would most likely be able to happen whether the estate wanted it to happen or not.

Part of the problem, though, is that as far back as the 80s studios were already including ownership of likeness rights in their contracts. Lucasfilm can do CGI Carrie Fisher (as Princess Leia) whether the estate wants them to or not, because the contracts that Fisher signed with Lucas granted them permanent ownership of the likeness rights for Fisher in that character. They might have to pay whatever royalty fee was negotiated in the contract, but they can't be stopped outright.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

goldenninjawarrior posted:

In Halloween Kills I thought they'd CGI'd a Donald Pleasence or cobbled one together from old footage for a few scenes and thought that was a bit crummy, but I later found out that they used an actor who looked just like him and dubbed his lines with another actor who sounded just like him and I found that much more impressive for some reason.

Because that takes some effort and really like, the effort of just finding an actor who looks like, then a voice that sounds like, to recreate a character even if it's to make a Donald Pleasence-like ultimately, feels a lot less gross than digitally digging up a dead actor to puppeteer them under the thought of it BEING them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Did someone say digital actors? Kenji eno (rip) of warp (also rip) used to make these absolutely mind boggling games that were masterpieces in their own way featuring the same character Laura in different roles, the most famous examples being D, Enemy Zero and D2. Some of you may know these games from super great friend 's let's play some years back. Here's thor high heels doing an intro to D2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kCbDw0vJE

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

8one6 posted:

It's simple: virtual actors don't age or demand things like lunch breaks. If the effects studio that currently animates the character that's 49% Natalie Portman's likeness and 49% ScarJo's likeness decides to charge more money well the studio owns ScarPo and just hires another effects shop for the next movie.

I mean, every other part of the IP is being re-done over and over, why not the actors too? Shoot a remake of every franchise movie with mocap suits and let internet polls determine who's each character afterwards.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 21, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

d2 RULES

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

Jason Reitman is not the son of Harold Ramis.

Yeah I got mixed up for a minute he's Ivan Reitman's son, the original director. But overall it's the same thing, it was a fully approved recreation.

I'd have to go searching for sources but I believe there's been attempts to do things with Elvis and Bruce Lee that the estates have slammed the door shut on, while the most ghoulish example to date would be that attempt (I don't think it's gone forward?) to have a CGI recreation of James Dean star in a movie. That feels way more offensive than recreations doing cameos in franchises the original actor was part of, even if that's still not great.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A movie-review that recommends against seeing the Ghostbusters movie on the grounds of stagnation and resurrecting Harold Ramis with CGI for audience sentimentality.

I'm not surprised they pulled that necromancy but it's still really upsetting.

deeply evil. almost satanic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fun hater posted:

what separates digital actors from being cartoons
Presumably the voice is fully synthesized so there’s no voice actor, and I guess in theory they would show up in multiple movies since we’re assuming a concept that would replace live action actors.

Which might not make since at first, because if you’re going digital then why not make a unique character, but if you consider the cost to make a photorealistic model along with a voice and making sure both are appealing to audiences, then paying for usage rights to a proven “actor” makes more since than spending the time and money to create one from scratch.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i dont think digital actors will become a thing bc every animation studio will close from bankruptcy before hollywood ever pays them

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if we’ll reach a point where cg models of actors appear in more of the movie than actual footage of the actor. Marvel movies must get close, if they’re not there already.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I actually preferred full CGI Tarkin as opposed to horrifying deep faked Luke Skywalker FWIW

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

OptimusShr posted:

New Ine Hit Wonderland just dropped.Crazy for this girl by Evan and Jaron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMj8gcEHGM

This has a huge lede buried btw and is quite a little buckwild lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I wonder if we’ll reach a point where cg models of actors appear in more of the movie than actual footage of the actor. Marvel movies must get close, if they’re not there already.

Black Panther in costume was entirely CG in Civil War and Hela was significantly CG in Ragnarok. In both cases they still had the actors on set in costume to provide a reference.

The quantum suits in Endgame were all CG though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

I actually preferred full CGI Tarkin as opposed to horrifying deep faked Luke Skywalker FWIW

Yeah, Plastic Action Figure Luke was just revolting, and every homebrew attempt I've seen of people trying to "fix" it just makes it look infinitely worse than the hackjob LucasFilm did to begin with. With Tarkin wasn't good but was just bad enough that my brain leaped over the uncanny valley and I was like "okay, this is just a CG character."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Everyone forgets young Sean Young in br2049

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plastic Luke wasn’t hosed up morally. That’s the difference.

I’ll take bad CGI deaging over a living actor than what they did with GB. The weirdest part is it didn’t look like a thing like Ramis when he was older at all. It was like some weird fantasized version of old man Ramis.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yardbomb posted:

Because that takes some effort and really like, the effort of just finding an actor who looks like, then a voice that sounds like, to recreate a character even if it's to make a Donald Pleasence-like ultimately, feels a lot less gross than digitally digging up a dead actor to puppeteer them under the thought of it BEING them.

Two guys playing Donald Pleasence playing a character. :v:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have to laugh whenever the subject of CG Tarkin comes up because it always reminds me of how impressively bad I am at telling the difference - Tarkin has me completely fooled, I was just thinking “golly, I wonder how they got an actor that looks just like him! :downs:”. But that’s not even that embarrassing compared to how shocked I was to learn Beowulf was CG. I have the excuse of only ever seeing the fuzzy TV commercials but still.

The worst part is that I’m an animator, lmao. I charitably like to think that’s why I’m bad at it, like I’m too inclined to believe in animation magic to let myself doubt it.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Dias posted:

I actually don't even know which one is Korone but I know it was the most recent addition to the Goons Have to Show Their Absolute Hatred For This Whenever Possible List, so whatever let's beetlejuice her

in actual, almost topical and way better shitposting than I can provide:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1461896293412921348

jon bois is the best video essayist because he's also got a good twitter

Korone is the one who laughed at eekum bokum

this is the extent of my vtuber knowledge, please do not discuss this topic further

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

Korone is the one who laughed at eekum bokum

this is the extent of my vtuber knowledge, please do not discuss this topic further

12M views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5MpLQ8TQcQ

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3XDfHPISiY&ab_channel=Karameru

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

OptimusShr posted:

New Ine Hit Wonderland just dropped.Crazy for this girl by Evan and Jaron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMj8gcEHGM

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This has a huge lede buried btw and is quite a little buckwild lol

Seriously, don't sleep on this one, it has the biggest twist of the OHWs since Chamillionaire and maybe even past that!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What I don't get is, I was under the impression Hollywood isn't allowed to use your likeness without your permission ever since Crispin Glover successfully sued that studio over Back to the Future 2? Does that not apply to dead people? They can't consent, after all.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

This is how it started for me... and countless others.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

When Nyx Fears did her video on the disturbing movies iceberg, she mentioned Wendigoon in passing and that sparked my interest. I'm not fond of True Crime reporting which is usually his beat and if I ever want to gently caress up my recommendations forever I'll give the look at his series on the Conspiracy Iceberg to see if it's anything like how Bobbin Threabare's Deus Ex lp was or like how TrueAnon describes such things. However!

His videos on the Biblical Theory IceBerg, Biblical Angels and Dante's Inferno are a blast.

P.S.: I just watched one of the conspiracy videos and yeah it's just a nice sounding explainy thing for increasingly obscure weird ideas. It's alright, but it wouldn't be exactly the THING I'd use to recommend Wendigoon stuff.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 21, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sankara posted:

What I don't get is, I was under the impression Hollywood isn't allowed to use your likeness without your permission ever since Crispin Glover successfully sued that studio over Back to the Future 2? Does that not apply to dead people? They can't consent, after all.

The estate can give permission which has happened in all the cases so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

God, stop loving doing this, it's insanely weird and creepy every time.

I'm surprised how many goons are liking the film in the CD thread because even if the movie was good that would've immediately soured me on the entire thing. Easily the most vile thing any of these sequel/reboots has done. It was so bad that early reviews only hinted at what it was and it seemed a bunch of people didn't understand what they were hinting at.