Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

ChubbyChecker posted:

did they even do anything apart from normal movie make up?

The casting I guess? I don't know, maybe I'm giving more credit than needed. I was looking for it specifically. I just don't know what mental picture to have when they're described as simultaneously looking like they could be 20 or 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Intruder posted:

The casting I guess? I don't know, maybe I'm giving more credit than needed. I was looking for it specifically. I just don't know what mental picture to have when they're described as simultaneously looking like they could be 20 or 60

like every says, botox is a good way to describe it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

All Aes Sedai are actually addicted to plastic surgery but pretend that it's the three oaths that make them look like monsters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They just need to do the deepfake on their faces of them being younger and it would give them a weird uncanny valley effect. It would be expensive but I’m sure bezos could handle it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

could we maybe not go into this territory even if some of you are frothing at the mouth to let us all know your probably nuanced opinions about beauty standards

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Johnny Joestar posted:

could we maybe not go into this territory even if some of you are frothing at the mouth to let us all know your probably nuanced opinions about beauty standards

not go into the territory of discussing how they could have implemented something interesting from the book?? what's it like looking for poo poo to get mad at all the time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

not go into the territory of discussing how they could have implemented something interesting from the book?? what's it like looking for poo poo to get mad at all the time

no, i was thinking more the topic of 'botox and cosmetic surgery makes women look weird and like monsters' but yeah you're right it's absolutely the benign topic of using cgi and not the one that makes women feel uncomfortable

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hexel posted:

Huge wolves are mostly fiction anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElhm_JlnXg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My god

It's full of stars

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
First look at Loial, posted in the non spoiler tv thread, which was stolen from reddit:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Wait, is the dude at the very beginning of episode 1 NOT Logain? I assumed it was since both scenes of Liandrin involve a long haired false Dragon guy but people are saying they’re two different people for some reason.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

They just need to do the deepfake on their faces of them being younger and it would give them a weird uncanny valley effect. It would be expensive but I’m sure bezos could handle it.

I read somewhere the show runner saying they looked at doing something cgi in post to do something like that, but there were more important things to spend money on.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wait, is the dude at the very beginning of episode 1 NOT Logain? I assumed it was since both scenes of Liandrin involve a long haired false Dragon guy but people are saying they’re two different people for some reason.

They gentled that guy on the spot, Logain was shielded in that cage at the end.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One other cool change I thought about was making a member of Far Dareis Mai a clan chief. Why shouldn't a Maiden of the Spear lead an Aiel clan?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

they're two different people. that's not logain at the beginning. there's literally days between those two scenes and there's a multitude of aes sedai and not just reds at the scene at the end of episode 3. this is even looking beyond the fact that they don't even look like each other.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Also the guy at the start was crazy already, Logain wasn't suffering any side effects from channeling at the start, or ever iirc in the books.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah they mention Logain's army is in the south or something like that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the guy at the beginning's madness was showing in that he was imagining someone else entirely was the channeler, i'm guessing the intention being some supposed friend or brother, when in reality it was just him. which the reds point out before they cut him off from the source.

logain himself didn't have much in the way of overt madness in that sense, at least not anything to that degree. it was purely a scene to kinda grab the intention and let new viewers know that something is up with the power dynamics.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Logain's hair was noticably darker

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
In the books there are like 3 other major false Dragons around this point. Not sure if that'll be a plot element in the show because the only one who ends up mattering is Taim.

And that isn't going in to the other men the Reds end up stilling or killing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure that logain and taim will be the main focuses as far as false dragons go, although the show has the opportunity to just make up another one. would be a bit of a tall order so i'm not expecting it, though. logain, himself, will probably have his redemption arc put forward more and given more oomph.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ad090 posted:

First look at Loial, posted in the non spoiler tv thread, which was stolen from reddit:

Interesting... I always kind of pictured him looking like Kimahri from Final Fantasy X

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Wasn't it a thing in the books that only the reds know that they have been going out and gentling men without doing a trial and what not. And that's a huge secret because a its vigilante poo poo and b some of it is black ajah instigated. And then Moiraine just watches it happen in the first scene. So I guess people are fine with that in this version.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Goofballs posted:

Wasn't it a thing in the books that only the reds know that they have been going out and gentling men without doing a trial and what not. And that's a huge secret because a its vigilante poo poo and b some of it is black ajah instigated. And then Moiraine just watches it happen in the first scene. So I guess people are fine with that in this version.

Moiraine knew about it in the books, it was part of her promise to Thom

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Torrannor posted:

One other cool change I thought about was making a member of Far Dareis Mai a clan chief. Why shouldn't a Maiden of the Spear lead an Aiel clan?

A woman is the shaido clan chief. Otherwise women who hit up the pillars become wise ones. Pretty important not to have your wise ones enter combat (lol rand breaks this)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
She wasn't the clan chief. Her dead husband had been the clan chief and the rules default the position to the dead chief's wife until a new chief can go to Rhuidean and pass the test.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Goofballs posted:

I don't think Moiraine is 'fine' with it, but she's got a bit of a more important focus right now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also it's one thing to know the reds are doing it and another entirely to actually bring it up and have something done about it all while a group of the magical people already performing illegal things actively hate you and can probably arrange a multitude of things that will end up with you stilled or dead

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Goofballs posted:

That was definitely a thing, like, 20 something years before the books start iirc. Ishamael was released and was PISSED when he found out since his goal was to turn the dragon, and murdered the poo poo out of the head of the black ajah before appointing Alviarin in her place.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ad090 posted:

In the book it's a character thing that Loial doesn't have facial hair because it's something Ogier that are considered adult do. But I do think the facial hair here is okay because he looks like RJ and Loial is an RJ stand in anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How are u posted:

She wasn't the clan chief. Her dead husband had been the clan chief and the rules default the position to the dead chief's wife until a new chief can go to Rhuidean and pass the test.
A system that relied on decorum. She took advantage to become the permanent chief.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

She tried. Even before Perrin attacked, the Wise Ones were preparing a new chief to supplant her.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A system that relied on decorum. She took advantage to become the permanent chief.

This is what happens when you bypass decorum. You get your entire clan mashed by a Seanchan-Two Rivers-Wolf force. Many such cases! :sad:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

blonde overly tanned leader who loves gold and ignores decorum…now I can’t I unsee it..

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

I don't think Moiraine is 'fine' with it, but she's got a bit of a more important focus right now.

It just struck me as funny. Like, maybe the reds don't know she's there. But what if they just look up? Do they then have to do a peep show style awkward conversation where they all have to agree nothing happened as they look over the scene of the crime? Because no one wants to have to deal with it officially.

Someone else said Moiraine knows what the reds are up to but do the reds know that she knows. Its a super minor point at the end of the day. I doubt the shows gets too into the woods with ajah politics

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goofballs posted:

Yes, it's known as the Vileness among Aes Sedai (who aren't Red, anyway). Men who can channel don't exactly get a trial as such, but it is custom to return them to the Tower before they're severed because the sisters there can maybe help them cope with it a bit better. False Dragons are also kept captive in the Tower as they might still become a rallying point for their followers and even if they didn't they'd probably be killed in vengeance if they were let free.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ChubbyChecker posted:

the reds are obsessed about mens' taints

I mean hell, same

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zore posted:

In the books there are like 3 other major false Dragons around this point. Not sure if that'll be a plot element in the show because the only one who ends up mattering is Taim.

And that isn't going in to the other men the Reds end up stilling or killing.

Even in the books the other false Dragons were handled with a throwaway line like "As soon as Rand declared himself the Dragon one guy's horse threw him and he broke his neck and the other one got hit by like 20 arrows" or something like that.

There's a theory in one of the books that the Pattern kept throwing out Dragons until it got the real one, then it just dumped the rest since they weren't needed anymore .A couple of the Aes Sedai talk about how there are way more men who can channel and way more false Dragons in the past 20 years than in the whole last couple hundred years combined. They kept records of the trials and gentlings of course, so they knew how many but only the Browns would look into it. Taim and Logain are the only ones that matter really, so maybe it'll be in the side videos they're doing. They've been dumping a lot of book stuff in those.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

They kept records of the trials and gentlings of course, so they knew how many but only the Browns would look into it. Taim and Logain are the only ones that matter really, so maybe it'll be in the side videos they're doing.

In the moment before I read this and remembered the Amazon bonus videos I was just picturing the Browns having some quiet concerns about Red Ajah TikTok metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Does Ali in wheel takes chill out eventually? She's gotten way worse at interrupting Gus and going on incredibly long tangents?

I'm at about the middle of TSR. She was way better in the first three books I'd say.