Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

w00tmonger posted:

Setting up my new resin printer cabinet at the new place and I'm trying to decide what my best option is for these.

Measurements were slightly off so each shelf will have a Saturn and a mars 2, but obviously the lids won't work. I was initially planning on adding a vertical divider to each shelf and adding iv film to the glass, but should I be trying to modify the lid so it can open from the front?

What about putting the shelves on rails so that you can pull them forward drawer style when you need to open them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Why do you need covers on the printers if they're in the cabinet?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Make sure to wear eye protection if you do that though, and it shouldn't need to be said, but DO NOT do that with an open flame nearby.

OR do, and take video.

Vorenus posted:

Hopefully this is the place for this, I PMed one of the printing goons on the spreadsheet and haven't heard back.

Would love to have this beast of a tank printed and looking for pricing quotes.

Just haven't gotten there yet. You won't like the number in the end. Also.. it's hard to properly judge without the full STL.

InternetJunky posted:

Why do you need covers on the printers if they're in the cabinet?

Keeps fumes in, and keeps UV out.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Nerobro posted:

Keeps fumes in, and keeps UV out.
You do realise each machine has a fan at the back that is literally blowing the fumes from printing outside the printer, right? And presumably there's no UV light to worry about inside the cabinet unless that's being rolled out to the front porch or something.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what are you going to do with the lid, have it take up space elsewhere instead of on the pritner where it fits perfectly?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BMan posted:

what are you going to do with the lid, have it take up space elsewhere instead of on the pritner where it fits perfectly?
Except the whole reason we're having this discussion is because w00tmonger's shelves prohibit the use of the lid without either making changes to the cabinet or the lids themselves.

My suggestion is to simply leave the lids off. What you want to do with them after is kind of irrelevant honestly. I don't use lids for my own printers unless they are going to sit for a while without printing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

You do realise each machine has a fan at the back that is literally blowing the fumes from printing outside the printer, right? And presumably there's no UV light to worry about inside the cabinet unless that's being rolled out to the front porch or something.

You do realize you're being a dick, right? Not only a dick, but a wrong dick.

There's a fan, yes, but that's contained in the base for cooling the screen and light. At least on the printers I've used, there's no vent from the base into the printing chamber.

There's also lots of random UV sources in rooms, you might not be aware of. The lid is still useful.

Now please, go stuff it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Nerobro posted:

There's a fan, yes, but that's contained in the base for cooling the screen and light. At least on the printers I've used, there's no vent from the base into the printing chamber.

There's also lots of random UV sources in rooms, you might not be aware of. The lid is still useful.

Now please, go stuff it.

You're reading some weird tone in my reply that isn't there dude.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My printer has been down for a few days and I can't even feel bad. My last print wrapped itself around the hotend and broke my shroud, yet another thermistor, and I can't find my original shroud to put it back together just yet

Debating making a monstrosity from cardstock to direct the cooling and printing one quickly, or just taking the time to find my original parts and doing the same. I just can't put the effort into it just yet after more downtime then up. I need a bit of a break

Makes me look hard at that prusa as something I don't need to update all the time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

You're reading some weird tone in my reply that isn't there dude.

To much internet for me today.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any resources out there for aftermarket fan designs for the Ender 3? I swear I have an extra itsy bitsy fan around here somewhere and it would be nice to print a shroud that cools the heatsink and the part on separate fans so I can fine-tune high temperature filaments. I'm sure there's a lot out there but fluid dynamics is a specialized field and a lot of stuff for printers is just made because it looks cool.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

Except the whole reason we're having this discussion is because w00tmonger's shelves prohibit the use of the lid without either making changes to the cabinet or the lids themselves.

My suggestion is to simply leave the lids off. What you want to do with them after is kind of irrelevant honestly. I don't use lids for my own printers unless they are going to sit for a while without printing.

Sorry I've been running cable all day and forgot I posted this morning. Planning on running with lids off. But want to avoid cross contamination from UV between the units. I know they can be a bit leaky around the ports etc but maybe I'm going overboard. It's in the basement so not sure if extent UV WI be an issue

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any resources out there for aftermarket fan designs for the Ender 3? I swear I have an extra itsy bitsy fan around here somewhere and it would be nice to print a shroud that cools the heatsink and the part on separate fans so I can fine-tune high temperature filaments. I'm sure there's a lot out there but fluid dynamics is a specialized field and a lot of stuff for printers is just made because it looks cool.

There are a bunch, but they all seem to be set for a 40 or 50 mm fan at what, 15 or 25 mm thick.

I was using the petsfang one, who seems to have actually published fluid charts and results, but I did try the herome one but didn't install since my large assortment of metric screws did not have one long enough. I am trying to currently use the design for a single 5015 fan

Good luck with what you choose, since all designs seem to badly suffer from poor file management and instructions as they make and update designs, and even worse when you add on bltouch or other parts. Look towards remixes as well

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

To be clear when I say itsy bitsy I mean compared to the 120mm fans in my computer. I don't remember the size, I just remember seeing it lying in one of my electronic junk boxes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If I'm suspicious that the stock NEMA17 steppers in my Tronxy might be bad, is there a reliable US based (preferably East Coast) supplier that sells replacements that don't suck?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Roundboy posted:

There are a bunch, but they all seem to be set for a 40 or 50 mm fan at what, 15 or 25 mm thick.

I was using the petsfang one, who seems to have actually published fluid charts and results, but I did try the herome one but didn't install since my large assortment of metric screws did not have one long enough. I am trying to currently use the design for a single 5015 fan

Good luck with what you choose, since all designs seem to badly suffer from poor file management and instructions as they make and update designs, and even worse when you add on bltouch or other parts. Look towards remixes as well

Hangtight’s designs are pretty self-contained - just pick the one with the correct hotend/config for what you want. (For example, the fully stock hotend/extruder is https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3179892.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ender 3 has separate hot end and part cooling fans already. The hot end heatsink fan is a standard 4010 and the part cooling is a less common 40mm blower. On the ender 3 v2 they're 24v which is less common. A satsana fan duct is a very easy upgrade to the stock shroud, I recently put one on my voxelab aquila (ender 3 v2 clone).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, thanks, I'll look into that then. I must have misunderstood the CNCKitchen video where he was saying that the stock fan design cools both the part and the heatsink together. I took that to mean there was only one fan, I guess not.

I guess I should probably be printing out of ABS or some other high-temp filament given the amount of hot air that will be flowing through these and the proximity to the hotend?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My parts are pla and held up fine. Generally you have two parts, one being the base that everything boots too, and since it's after the heatbreak it should not see any significant heat.

The other is generally the cooling shroud, and should be far enough away to not have an issue. I never print anything hotter then petg, so maybe if you are printing very hot temps and have the part cooling off there might be a softening issue?

I took that if the shroud was getting to 180-190 or more then something was going wrong. If you can print nicely in abs or other hot material go right ahead, no reason you should not, but no reason you have to.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess I should probably be printing out of ABS or some other high-temp filament given the amount of hot air that will be flowing through these and the proximity to the hotend?

ABS is grandpa material.

PETG or ASA all the way

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nerobro posted:

My Mars 2 Pro had a "filtration system" that was a fan that sucked air out of the chamber, through a lovely carbon trap, and then out into the room. Not sure the Mars 2 or Saturn has that but I'm pretty suspect of any elegoo printer that claims to have filtration built in as a feature.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Satsana in particular is fine as PLA, the ducts aren't close enough to the hot end to warp, and the heat block should have a silicone sock

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nerobro posted:

Now please, go stuff it.

There are some SLA printers with vat fan vents. The one I had for a weekend before realizing that I didn’t want to mess with it had a charcoal filter on it to help mitigate the fumes. I don’t know if it did much or not, because it didn’t help a ton.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
is there recommended pla to start with? getting a prusa mini as my first printer and if not will probably just get something recommended from this list: https://m.all3dp.com/1/best-pla-filament/

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

ABS is grandpa material.

PETG or ASA all the way

lol sorry you can't print ABS

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

First print just rolled off my Prusa. 55 hour torture test and it's flawless. I'm scared to print anything else now because it can only go downhill from here.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wow!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

InternetJunky posted:

First print just rolled off my Prusa. 55 hour torture test and it's flawless. I'm scared to print anything else now because it can only go downhill from here.

Got a link to that? I'm curious to see if it will fit on my Mini and how it'll turn out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like there's some uphill to be had still, some melty overhangs and minor stringing in a few places! But that's just me nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking ;)

Got both of my vorons printing side by side now, this 2.4 has a few things to iron out still but it's at the point where I can hit print and it prints things, which is the big hurdle.

Still needs some tuning, skirts need to be printed, and I'm probably going to add a klicky probe for automatic z offset calculations (along with some titanium extrusion backers and a thermistor inside of the frame so that I can minimize how much heat soaking I need to do) but it's printing real nice with basically no work besides the initial setup.

Bonus shot with the Prusa it's replacing for scale:

fake edit: looks like my backers and other mods are showing up today too

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there a good diy solution for filtering particulates/Vocs from an enclosure?

Should I just be getting some generic HEPA filter and box fan to stick inside?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Got a link to that? I'm curious to see if it will fit on my Mini and how it'll turn out.
Alchemist's Hut from the City of Firwood kickstarter. I think it's on MMF. Also, I think it fits on a mini if you scale it down to 99% because I did that at first not realising I had the mini selected as the printer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Is there a good diy solution for filtering particulates/Vocs from an enclosure?

Should I just be getting some generic HEPA filter and box fan to stick inside?

https://github.com/nevermore3d/Nevermore_Micro is what I’m using on my printers, but it’s just for VOCs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

X-posting from the 3d printing for tabletop gaming thread:

I have an odd problem that I hope goons will be able to help solve. I started printing off some AT terrain and... well... the first building printed fine, the second came out as this:

(The first print is on the right, the failed print is on the left)

Its very fragile and "crumbly" on the failed layers. After this print failed, I tried reprinting the first building, it started to print fine, I went to bed, woke up and found the bowden tube had come out of the coupler, so while it failed, I didn't lose any filament. Would the bowden tube coming loose have caused this failure, or should I look at something else as well?

Also, obligatory cat picture:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, I've managed to reduce the stringing on my print by slowing down, which is fine, but even with prusa's defaults I'm getting this fairly bad seam blobbing:

Thoughts? I've got the benchy sliced with seam 'rear' so i can easily see if it's acting up or not. This was with a roll of dry prusament at 215*C, and my filament feeds from a drybox up above the printer:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 22, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If - with the same settings - I'm starting to get more notable layer lines than I was a few months ago, would I be right in thinking belt tension is the first thing I should be looking at? It's not *bad*, but I've just printed a temperature tower to try and dial in a new filament and it feels appreciably rougher and just looks a bit scruffier than before (and doing it with the PLA+ I'm used to shows the same sort of thing), and I'm thinking if the belts are a bit loose then that'll lead to the print head being not quite as precise.

Also a few places seem to suggest belts should be tight enough to give an actual note when plucked - is that about right? I'd have thought that was actually a little over-tight but happy to hear any tips.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I've started playing around with PETG and I've pretty much got it down except for one issue, and that's layer separation on my first layer. The print sticks just fine and otherwise looks great but why is it that after I remove it from the print bed I have giant strings on the bottom layer that never seems to melt fully into the lines around it? I've tried upping the temp, lowering the temp, playing with z offset, and nothing seems to help. Every other layer looks great and the texture on the bottom layer looks right, but there are always these loose strings that I have to clip off and that ultimately leaves the print looking beveled. The first layer also looks great as it's printing, but after it's removed it's a bit of a mess.

This is with a mostly stock Ender 3 V2, and it seems to work best with the least amount of this when I have the hot end at 230C.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, thanks, I'll look into that then. I must have misunderstood the CNCKitchen video where he was saying that the stock fan design cools both the part and the heatsink together. I took that to mean there was only one fan, I guess not.

Could have either meant that the stock design spills heatsink cooling air over the part (quite possible) or that the electronics for the part cooling fan and the *electronics* cooling fan (the one that cools the printer mainboard in the enclosure) are tied together so that the electronics cooling fan only runs when the part cooling fan is running, which is definitely an issue on older Ender-3s and I don't know if Creality ever fixed it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Jadius posted:

I've started playing around with PETG and I've pretty much got it down except for one issue, and that's layer separation on my first layer. The print sticks just fine and otherwise looks great but why is it that after I remove it from the print bed I have giant strings on the bottom layer that never seems to melt fully into the lines around it? I've tried upping the temp, lowering the temp, playing with z offset, and nothing seems to help. Every other layer looks great and the texture on the bottom layer looks right, but there are always these loose strings that I have to clip off and that ultimately leaves the print looking beveled. The first layer also looks great as it's printing, but after it's removed it's a bit of a mess.

This is with a mostly stock Ender 3 V2, and it seems to work best with the least amount of this when I have the hot end at 230C.

Cooling. Turn off the cooling fan (set it to zero) for the initial layers. There is a debate on using a cooling fan at all for the rest of it, or at the very least having the max be 20% and you ramp up to that. It has to be hot to stick together, and if you let it cool too much, it will melt and flow, but the layers will be very brittle and cause a weak area.

Advanced class would be to have it on when bridging, but cura at least has experimental options on special bridging modes to crank up the fan when needed. I typically print PETG higher and keep the bed high as well, and keep cooling off initially and slowly ramp it up.

I also have some minor stringing which i think is unavoidable unless i really dial in my retraction or play with coasting, or even try it more with klipper

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Dr. Despair posted:

My Mars 2 Pro had a "filtration system" that was a fan that sucked air out of the chamber, through a lovely carbon trap, and then out into the room. Not sure the Mars 2 or Saturn has that but I'm pretty suspect of any elegoo printer that claims to have filtration built in as a feature.

Yeah, I assume those built-in “filters” are ineffective at best, if not actively distributing VOCs more than they would otherwise. A single pass through a lovely charcoal filter before discharging into the environment does not inspire confidence, especially as nobody’s regularly changing those filters after buying it.
An interesting and low-effort printer mod that i’ve considered exploring is a simple duct mounted to the back of the printer that feeds the exhausted filter air back into the enclosure via a port on the stock printer hood; continuously refiltering the enclosure air ought to be much more effective, and would remove the need for effective single-pass VOC scrubbing. No need to engineer a secondary standalone scrubbing system, just make the stock system less lovely.
There might be issues with “stale” air (high humidity/temperature, maybe) that the single pass ventilation is also addressing, I know a hermetically-sealed CNC mill cabinet isn’t good because coolant use rapidly saturates the air with moisture which encourages corrosion + the motors are designed for passive convection cooling and can overheat without some parts being ‘open to the air’. I doubt that’s the case for a printer stepper running at a modest duty cycle and with low RPM/torque but idk

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

X-posting from the 3d printing for tabletop gaming thread:

I have an odd problem that I hope goons will be able to help solve. I started printing off some AT terrain and... well... the first building printed fine, the second came out as this:

(The first print is on the right, the failed print is on the left)

Its very fragile and "crumbly" on the failed layers. After this print failed, I tried reprinting the first building, it started to print fine, I went to bed, woke up and found the bowden tube had come out of the coupler, so while it failed, I didn't lose any filament. Would the bowden tube coming loose have caused this failure, or should I look at something else as well?

Also, obligatory cat picture:

I'd think it was underextrusion caused by the tube coming out. I'd say it's a partial clog if the second print is also crumbly, but if the second print is fine, it was probably the tube.