Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Ayashimon is looking good. The new series has a terrible art style but the premise is cute.

Yeah, Ayashimon had a solid chapter 2. We got less of our hero since this chapter is more about the female lead, but the layout was solid, the basic arc started in chapter 2 finished in chapter 2, and there was a fight. Nothing amazing, but quite steady, and promising for the future.

Call no man happy until he's dead and all, but this is a much more hopeful place for a series to be than we got with the last couple action manga in Jump. Meanwhile, we've got a much worse opening for a gag manga than the ones we have around already. Shugomaru felt like we'd seen all the gags done before and done better, but it also was way, way too long for the amount of plot it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's no Elusive Samurai this week so it's a dead week to me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
How often does a long running series end in Jump - yearly, every six months? Dr. Stone is headed towards an ending and MHA has started preparing for the final arc.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
I wouldn't say that there's necessarily a schedule for long series ending - once a series makes it past a year or so, it seems to me like Jump more or less allows them to end on their own terms, barring something weird happening. There isn't really a schedule for new serialization rounds and not everything that starts is a hit, so you end up with survivors at odd intervals. Given that there's no set series length, you can't really predict endings unless you're following the story.

In terms of actual data, so far in 2021, there have been a handful of casualties in the 30-50 chapter range (Phantom Seer at 30, Agravity Boys at 50, Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin at 47), but nothing longer than that has ended. Meanwhile 2020 had Samurai 8 end at 47, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings at 209, Haikyu! at 409, Neverland at 180-ish, Chainsawman at 97, We Never learn at 187, Miitama Security at 47, and Demon Slayer at 205 (and Act-age at 123), so it's essentially random.

newershadow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 22, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

newershadow posted:

I wouldn't say that there's necessarily a schedule for long series ending - once a series makes it past a year or so, it seems to me like Jump more or less allows them to end on their own terms, barring something weird happening. There isn't really a schedule for new serialization rounds and not everything that starts is a hit, so you end up with survivors at odd intervals. Given that there's no set series length, you can't really predict endings unless you're following the story.

In terms of actual data, so far in 2021, there have been a handful of casualties in the 30-50 chapter range (Phantom Seer at 30, Agravity Boys at 50, Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin at 47), but nothing longer than that has ended. Meanwhile 2020 had Samurai 8 end at 47, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings at 209, Haikyu! at 409, Neverland at 180-ish, Chainsawman at 97, We Never learn at 187, Miitama Security at 47, and Demon Slayer at 205 (and Act-age at 123), so it's essentially random.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I'm echoing thread sentiment here but Ayashimon was good again and the new gag manga was nothing special and had mediocre art. I think stylized art is great but there were a lot of issues with perspective and consistent character proportions that took me out of the comic.

Look at this arm and hand:

Cloks fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 22, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

An era ended along with haunted hot springs. Pouring one out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck, there have been a few sj manga that lasted for upwards of 100 chapters that got canned. off the top of my head, that includes toriko and busou renkin. then there are not-infrequent premature endings due to health problems, because putting out a weekly manga is no way to live.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

newershadow posted:

In terms of actual data, so far in 2021, there have been a handful of casualties in the 30-50 chapter range (Phantom Seer at 30, Agravity Boys at 50, Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin at 47), but nothing longer than that has ended. Meanwhile 2020 had Samurai 8 end at 47, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings at 209, Haikyu! at 409, Neverland at 180-ish, Chainsawman at 97, We Never learn at 187, Miitama Security at 47, and Demon Slayer at 205, so it's essentially random.

Yeah, 2020 was a bit of a slaughterhouse. You didn't even mention We Never Learn. It's why 2021 had such a scramble early on to find something to fill pages.

Elusive Samurai, Witch Watch, Sakamoto Days, and Blue Box seem to have stabilized things, but there's a lot of potential openings in the near future given what some of the current Jump writers have said.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

newershadow posted:

I would say Agravity Boys, Cop & Dolphin, Samurai 8, and Miitama Security is that 50 is a standard cutoff point for middling series. 50 chaps is the one-year mark for a series, so it makes sense that if a series isn't really successful but isn't a total flop, that they give them some time to try to stabilize and find footing before being cut off. They gave Agravity Boys a special chapter a while after it ended too, so they seem to have some amount of respect to these series.

Frankly I'm shocked to learn Phantom Seer made it all the way to 30.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Frankly I'm shocked to learn Phantom Seer made it all the way to 30.

Phantom Seer was good :colbert:

And also Phantom Seer tanks sold pretty well for how well it was rated in the book. So they gave it enough chapters for an extra volume.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Phantom Seer was good :colbert:

And also Phantom Seer tanks sold pretty well for how well it was rated in the book. So they gave it enough chapters for an extra volume.

Haha let me rephrase - I remember it ending pretty quickly. I would have thought it only got like 18-20 chapters, not 30.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cloks posted:

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I'm echoing thread sentiment here but Ayashimon was good again and the new gag manga was nothing special and had mediocre art. I think stylized art is great but there were a lot of issues with perspective and consistent character proportions that took me out of the comic.

Look at this arm and hand:

People got mad at me when I poo poo talked ranking of kings webcomic, but like cmon. Shouldn't JUMP have access to basically the best of the best? How does something like this pass their review? There really isn't a better artist who has a good idea for a manga to serialize? It looks really bad IMO, almost enough to make me not want to read it at all.

There is definitely stuff out there which is more like "deliberately like this" - such as High School Family or Roboco where you can see the skill of the artist shine through in the varius genre switch ups / randomly ultra detailed panels for gags. Also the style of those themselves remains highly consistent. This doesn't feel like that...

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haikyuu! ending still saddens me, even though it ended very well on its own terms about as long a series could be without starting to feel like it's spinning its wheels a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started reading Samurai 8 on a whim and huh, you’d really think Kishimoto just doing the story and not drawing too would have made the pilot tighter paced. It’s almost half a volume of manga pages (which itself seems super indulgent) and it won’t get to the point already (halfway through).

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Kinda meh week to me, with one exception. Felt like most of what I read were setup chapters that didn't really do a lot for me.

Witch Watch - not really feeling this Student Council storyline. Last chapter really felt like an one-shot, but it seems like it's going to be a storyline going forward.
Ayakashi Triangle - on one hand, good, Matsuri and Suzu admit their feelings towards each other. On the other hand, they found the most contrived reason for why Matsuri doesn't want to date her, and roll with it (although good on Suzu for not putting up with it). I really feel this chapter embodies a lot of why I find AT frustrating at times, it stumbles into something interesting, but then actively fights against itself back to mediocrity

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

People got mad at me when I poo poo talked ranking of kings webcomic, but like cmon. Shouldn't JUMP have access to basically the best of the best? How does something like this pass their review? There really isn't a better artist who has a good idea for a manga to serialize? It looks really bad IMO, almost enough to make me not want to read it at all.

Well, one thing is that the creator already has a moderately successful series with the company. (It's a Mangaplus title, if I remember right) It means that he's got a good relationship with editorial, they know he can be relied on week to week, and there's going to be some audience interest. It's basically a foot in the door situation, with the benefit of keeping up good relations with other talents.

Jump also generally has genre preferences, so if they're looking to get a gag manga, then they probably had a smaller pool of people interested and able to provide them with the required pages than for just a generic manga. (Especially a gag manga running full length rather than short.)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, one thing is that the creator already has a moderately successful series with the company. (It's a Mangaplus title, if I remember right) It means that he's got a good relationship with editorial, they know he can be relied on week to week, and there's going to be some audience interest. It's basically a foot in the door situation, with the benefit of keeping up good relations with other talents.

Jump also generally has genre preferences, so if they're looking to get a gag manga, then they probably had a smaller pool of people interested and able to provide them with the required pages than for just a generic manga. (Especially a gag manga running full length rather than short.)

Yea that makes sense, I looked it up and he did a One Piece Gag Manga... which doesn't inspire much confidence on this new series but yea I guess he is easy to work with. Still though, I love it when Jump is full of if not technically proficient then at least stylish mangas. Hopefully this one picks up, maybe it ends up a really fun surprise like High School Family.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Shinji2015 posted:

Witch Watch - not really feeling this Student Council storyline. Last chapter really felt like an one-shot, but it seems like it's going to be a storyline going forward.
Ayakashi Triangle - on one hand, good, Matsuri and Suzu admit their feelings towards each other. On the other hand, they found the most contrived reason for why Matsuri doesn't want to date her, and roll with it (although good on Suzu for not putting up with it). I really feel this chapter embodies a lot of why I find AT frustrating at times, it stumbles into something interesting, but then actively fights against itself back to mediocrity

My feelings exactly. "I'm a girl now so I'm not really me, me dating you means you would be cheating on me with... me. So let's wait until I turn back into a guy."

What the christ, Matsuri.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shugomaru got one good laugh out of of me with the Thunderbolt-Conductivity gag.

Say what you want about the manga but that was a good one.
Its got a little promise, and has a bit of Doraemon energy with the gadgets being the medium for gags.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu Chan - I mentioned it before, but I love the Holy knighthood and an arc focused on their mess of LARPers can only bring me good things. So this new arc is looking good to me.

Ayashimon - Solid second chapter. I second the Chainsaw man vibes this fool is giving. I also like the setup for the girl and how she's currently playing. Surely we'll see something bloom up later, but for now this is good.

Protect me - I kinda wish this had different art and slightly different vibe. It might be fun though regardless?
poo poo! I need to draw in a knife!

Roboco - Meh

Mashle - The sadness showdown had me in stitches.

Sakamoto days - The plot thickens. Based on the usual this hsuold be over next chapter.

Witch Watch - Somehow I liked this chapter better than the previous one. But I second the others, the Student Council isn't quite doing it for me. It feels a little too forced. The occasional Metaness Witch Watch has used in the past tended to work okayish because it was just minor bits. But this is a little too much for me in something that isn't quite a gag manga.

Undead Unluck - :ohdear: I love spring. He's a cool guy.

Because others were talking about it I checked out Ayakashi again. Anything good this manga tries to do is pretty obviously accidental and generally immediately weakened by some cheap suggestive stuff. Like hell, she just confessed her love and then we get close ups of her mouth munching down on some long thick ...sweet potato. And I don't mind suggestive stuff, at all. I read Eden's Zero. But it's so...in the way of things. (for me at least)
But this rejection is the weirdest poo poo. I mean I think it makes sense that he's suddenly more aware that he's a girl now. A guy who ostensibly identifies as a hetero, is suddenly a girl and is suddenly aware that he's in love with a girl sounds like something that would be confusing and thus he wouldn't immediately jump at a relationship or at best start cautiously. But then just make that the reason. None of these weird other excuses. Ayakashi succesfully reminded me why I don't want to read it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea that makes sense, I looked it up and he did a One Piece Gag Manga... which doesn't inspire much confidence on this new series but yea I guess he is easy to work with. Still though, I love it when Jump is full of if not technically proficient then at least stylish mangas. Hopefully this one picks up, maybe it ends up a really fun surprise like High School Family.

hey, the roboco guy previously made a promised neverland gag manga. the main difference is, that one was funny.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mikl posted:

My feelings exactly. "I'm a girl now so I'm not really me, me dating you means you would be cheating on me with... me. So let's wait until I turn back into a guy."

What the christ, Matsuri.

Yeah, it's a bad reason, and it pissed me off.

Darth TNT posted:

Because others were talking about it I checked out Ayakashi again. Anything good this manga tries to do is pretty obviously accidental and generally immediately weakened by some cheap suggestive stuff. Like hell, she just confessed her love and then we get close ups of her mouth munching down on some long thick ...sweet potato. And I don't mind suggestive stuff, at all. I read Eden's Zero. But it's so...in the way of things. (for me at least)

Yeah, you hit on a great point here. Eden's Zero is full of fan service too, but it doesn't feel nearly as awkward as it does in AT. It probably helps that EZ can still tell a story with fan service in the background, while AT is focused on fan service, and the story is secondary.

quote:

But this rejection is the weirdest poo poo. I mean I think it makes sense that he's suddenly more aware that he's a girl now. A guy who ostensibly identifies as a hetero, is suddenly a girl and is suddenly aware that he's in love with a girl sounds like something that would be confusing and thus he wouldn't immediately jump at a relationship or at best start cautiously. But then just make that the reason. None of these weird other excuses. Ayakashi succesfully reminded me why I don't want to read it.

Your reason would have been a great idea, and would have came off much better than the actual excuse. There hasn't really been any real dysphoria or motivation for Matsuri to become a guy otherwise; his only given reason up until now for why he wants to become a guy again (and it only took him a few dozen chapters to come out and say it) is that he thought he couldn't be with Suzu as a girl, and in the meantime Suzu's still been into him despite the transformation. She doesn't care, so now they gotta come up with another reason for they're not together, and it just feels unnatural

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Magu-Chan has done a pretty good job so far of introducing goofy new antagonists to keep things rolling. Interested to see how this arc pans out!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the dude who's power seems to be serving tea.

Also the ice witch with the big hat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess this is the most relevant thread, so I’m on episode seven of Saint Seiya and:
- this poo poo is so corny it owns
- this is basically just anime wrestling, nonstop extra over the top backstories
- this really was where all the anime cliches like tournament arcs started, huh?

I always thought this series was an isekai or the anime version of Ancient Greece though, not like modern day gladiator tournament arcs in (then) modern Japan.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's a bad reason, and it pissed me off.

Yeah, you hit on a great point here. Eden's Zero is full of fan service too, but it doesn't feel nearly as awkward as it does in AT. It probably helps that EZ can still tell a story with fan service in the background, while AT is focused on fan service, and the story is secondary.

Exactly. I'd say the difference is that while EZ uses fanservice (a lot) and often to the point that I sometimes feel a little uneasy reading it. It knows when it shouldn't be doing it and it knows how to use it to heighten the stakes.
Take the recent Anal bomb. It's horrible and no doubt someone somewhere is currently writing/drawing this situation one handed. :gonk: But it's also used to make clear what kind of unrepentant dick Shura was.
Take the duel between Rebecca and the cards girl. We see the result of her loss first. Then we get to the card game where she gets a bunny girl outfit for no reason and plays a stripping card game. Even if the premise is ridiculous and obvious fanservice, there are stakes. The outfit despite how ridiculous it actually raises the stakes because it's so skimpy.
Obviously any other game/stakes could've worked, look at Yugioh where people were betting their mind/memories on a card game. But Mashima is a horndog so he choose stripping and a bunny girl outfit. Fine, but the stripping becomes secondary to the actual conflict that's happening. Especially as the rules of the game become clear. Also dang the conclusion to that was such a cool moment for Rebecca. Which also helps, it's not just fanservice. She gets her own moment of glory despite the crap Mashima gives her.

Now contrast this love confession. The last pages of the previous chapter put an appropriate amount of gravitas on this confession. The relationship has been central to the plot and the way they interacted. But after the shocking admission, we're then in this chapter were treated to her sucking on a long thick...sweet potato for 3 panels from different angles. While she's anxiously thinking about what she just did. The images, to me, get in the way of what it's trying to tell. Does it make sense for her to push the food in her mouth, yes I think it does. She's embarrassed and desperately doesn't want to say anything else to further damage what she just did. But then why show her her sucking on a long thick...sweet potato for 3 panels from different angles. Just have her stuff her face. The fanservice comes first over the actual issue at hand. Case in point, after those 3 panels she's actually finished the potato so she was stuffing her face.
It'd be like Witch from Eden's Zero sacrificing herself while slowly losing her clothes. Can it work, yes. But it has the potential of undermining the moment.
I liked Ayakashi's chapter about the underwear change from a concept point of view. But the first thing we see after the big change is her on the toilet with her panties around her ankles, followed by her kicking a door open so we can see her panties around her ankles with implied nudity. Whatever character growth or doubts are secondary to the potential of drawing panties or implied nudity.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like the dude who's power seems to be serving tea.

Also the ice witch with the big hat.

He just knows very well that fire powers have more uses than defeating evil gods. :)
I wonder if the gang will be joining the knights so that there can be 10 commanders again.
I just love that moment where Kisaragi is immediately "omg! All of the 10 commanders have arrived! This is a big deal!" :derp:
And Ren is like "Umm, there are only 5? Do we need to study harder?" :geno:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Darth TNT posted:

Whatever character growth or doubts are secondary to the potential of drawing panties or implied nudity.

ayakashi_triangle.txt

e. hell, make that kentaro_yabuki.txt. I mean, I haven't read Black Cat, but from the cursory look I gave to To Love Ru and To Love Ru Darkness, Ayakashi Triangle is basically more of the same than what he already did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

He just knows very well that fire powers have more uses than defeating evil gods. :)
I wonder if the gang will be joining the knights so that there can be 10 commanders again.
I just love that moment where Kisaragi is immediately "omg! All of the 10 commanders have arrived! This is a big deal!" :derp:
And Ren is like "Umm, there are only 5? Do we need to study harder?" :geno:

The best part about them being short staffed is that it retroactively makes "aren't there too many fire themed names?" even funnier. They need people even if means gimmicks or powers overlap.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best part about them being short staffed is that it retroactively makes "aren't there too many fire themed names?" even funnier. They need people even if means gimmicks or powers overlap.

Haha, I didn't even think of it that way. I just assumed all the other powers walked away and they were left with fire powers. But your interpretation makes it even funnier.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mikl posted:

ayakashi_triangle.txt

e. hell, make that kentaro_yabuki.txt. I mean, I haven't read Black Cat, but from the cursory look I gave to To Love Ru and To Love Ru Darkness, Ayakashi Triangle is basically more of the same than what he already did.

Yabuki doesn't write TLR though. (As the artist he's obviously still deeply involved in the process, but it's important to make the distinction imo)

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I don't think Eden Zero should ever be used as an example of fan service done right, if that is even a term to throw around. Maybe back during the early Fairy Tail days with some of the lighter gags but as soon as the author saw what he could get away with he has been broadcasting his fetish into every scene he can. It does nothing to increase stakes or enhance the villains cause as soon as a new villain group shows up we know at least one, if not all the members is going to have traits to feed that fetish.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Black Cat has a femme fatale typical of its setting and some of women/girls vaguely romantic towards the MC, but for the most part any fanservice stuff was in extra illustrations and not the main series

it's pretty much standard adventure/battle shonen

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fire Force spoilers

Just a small cameo but still brought a huge smile to my face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not so much a cameo as it is a confirmation that fire force is a prequel to soul eater. it's been heading there ever since the moon with a face showed up. so the destruction of the old world has already happened, and now the new world just needs to be born. there are a few minor questions left, like if shinigami is actually a character from fire force and which sun grows a face but it's all pretty much over. now it's just a battle, though probably not a conventional physical battle given how weird this arc has been.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is the Fire Force anime still going/coming back at some point or did that get canceled for some reason?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not so much a cameo as it is a confirmation that fire force is a prequel to soul eater. it's been heading there ever since the moon with a face showed up. so the destruction of the old world has already happened, and now the new world just needs to be born. there are a few minor questions left, like if shinigami is actually a character from fire force and which sun grows a face but it's all pretty much over. now it's just a battle, though probably not a conventional physical battle given how weird this arc has been.

:aaaaa:

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is the Fire Force anime still going/coming back at some point or did that get canceled for some reason?

I assume David Pro is busy with Stone Ocean and we'll get an announcement after they're done with that or maybe after the manga ends.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t seen/read it yet but I’m planning to eventually. How far into the manga does the anime go?

Also I’ve heard it can be somewhat problematic regarding some of its female characters (which is weird coming from the guy that made Soul Eater), how much of that is true and do things get better in that regard as the series goes on?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's true, yeah. it does eventually address that issue at least. however, it did so in such an incredibly strange way that i can't decide if it worked or not.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I haven’t seen/read it yet but I’m planning to eventually. How far into the manga does the anime go?

Also I’ve heard it can be somewhat problematic regarding some of its female characters (which is weird coming from the guy that made Soul Eater), how much of that is true and do things get better in that regard as the series goes on?

The anime covers 174 chapters in the span of 48 episodes which is kind of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of Eden Zero it just had a 3 year timeskip.