Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am in the process of refinishing an axe head (currently sitting in white vinegar, would be done but thought I had steel wool and I don't so a store trip is in order). Should I look into any sort of metal rust inhibitor once I'm done?

I’ve used 3-in-1 oil for years without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Isn't that what WD40 was originally supposed to do? Or is that a dirty word itt?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't that what WD40 was originally supposed to do? Or is that a dirty word itt?

WD is a great solvent, cleans stuff up nice, but too gummy for an actual finish on metal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Remington CLP (gun cleaning/lube poo poo) is supposed to inhibit rust and whatnot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an axe.

It’s going to get abraded while doing its job.

Oil it and call it good, IMO.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Platystemon posted:

It’s an axe.

It’s going to get abraded while doing its job.

Oil it and call it good, IMO.

:lol:

Well of course that's what will end up happening but will you deny us our 7 pages of metal finish discussion? That's just mean.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah just scrape it against some pieces of wood periodically and the rust should stay under control.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

how's the heat resistance on a standard mechanix glove? for 3d printers i sometimes have to handle 215*C metal and while i try not to touch it, i am clumsy and stupid.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am in the process of refinishing an axe head (currently sitting in white vinegar, would be done but thought I had steel wool and I don't so a store trip is in order). Should I look into any sort of metal rust inhibitor once I'm done?

I just did an intense de-rusting on a small anvil. If you can knock off all of the bulk rust, I can recommend phosphoric acid-based anti-rust gel. It did a great job at cutting down all the fine rust, but as a bonus, it left the entire surface with a simple phosphate bluing that I just needed to oil. The trick I found was to just apply it a few times over the course of an hour, and rub it in wherever it dries up (wearing gloves of course). I think I paid like $8 for a bottle of it at home depot

e: what wesley said. CLP is great stuff, I use it on pretty much everything.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Deviant posted:

how's the heat resistance on a standard mechanix glove? for 3d printers i sometimes have to handle 215*C metal and while i try not to touch it, i am clumsy and stupid.

I wouldn't trust it, but they do have versions meant for heat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Verman posted:

I wouldn't trust it, but they do have versions meant for heat.

yeah but these parts are tiny and fiddly so i need dexterity

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Deviant posted:

I’ve used these and the dexterity is decent. I got a pair of petzl repelling gloves for cheap at rei 5+ years ago and used them grinding knives when my full blacksmithing gloves were to bulky. I still have them and they’ve held up pretty well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Deviant posted:

Can you handle the parts with tongs? Or a small pair of pliers?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Combining these last two topics - I inherited an old drill press on which the main shaft supporting the base plate is severely rusted. After I wire wheel it clean can I use CLP on all those parts too? Just to avoid the sudden re-rusting.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Cool. Thanks for the quick write-up. Looks like it's probably going to be the OG mechanix and just hope that the thicker material on the fingers will keep me from getting all scratched up.

Just thinking out loud here, would it be possible to buy the plain gloves that have the good dexterity and just add _something_ to the knuckles where you get hit a lot?

Glue on some bits of metal or 3d print some knuckle guards maybe. Some extra duct tape on there might help perhaps?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deviant posted:

Dex is a dump stat you want Con or Int on your gloves

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You should never have to handle the metal on a hotend whiles it’s hot, just use tools and do most of the fiddle bits (getting the nozzle threaded on or off all the way) while it’s cold.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like MaxiFlex and maxi cut style work gloves (nitrile dipped cut reactant cloth—they’re stretchy and form fitting) for things that require dexterity, and looks like they make that style glove with heat or impact protection. They can vary a bit in how stiff they are so it might take a couple tries to find the right fit.

Thermal example: https://www.zoro.com/temp-dex-heat-...AiABEgKy6fD_BwE

Some impact resistant ones in here: https://www.mdsassociates.com/catal...og-product-list

For me the knit coated gloves have better dexterity since they can fit right with no seams.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

powderific posted:

I really like MaxiFlex and maxi cut style work gloves (nitrile dipped cut reactant cloth—they’re stretchy and form fitting) for things that require dexterity, and looks like they make that style glove with heat or impact protection. They can vary a bit in how stiff they are so it might take a couple tries to find the right fit.

Thermal example: https://www.zoro.com/temp-dex-heat-...AiABEgKy6fD_BwE

Some impact resistant ones in here: https://www.mdsassociates.com/catal...og-product-list

For me the knit coated gloves have better dexterity since they can fit right with no seams.

Some of this stuff looks great!!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Despair posted:

You should never have to handle the metal on a hotend whiles it’s hot, just use tools and do most of the fiddle bits (getting the nozzle threaded on or off all the way) while it’s cold.

see again: i am clumsy and stupid. got my palm on a heat gun the other day that i had set aside.

if there arent gloves that do this that's fine, honestly even the mechanix might be enough for the occasional 'i brushed my hand against the heat block while doing a hot tighten'

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Deviant posted:

see again: i am clumsy and stupid. got my palm on a heat gun the other day that i had set aside.

if there arent gloves that do this that's fine, honestly even the mechanix might be enough for the occasional 'i brushed my hand against the heat block while doing a hot tighten'

Wear the gloves. They're not tongs and if you pick up and hold something hot you'll still get burnt, but you'll get some protection.

I wear loose-fitting elk hide gloves when I'm blacksmithing, they've saved me from a lot of painful oopses. Even a touch from red-hot metal takes a tiny fraction of a second to get through which gives me time to get the hot thing away from my hand.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Deviant posted:

synthetic fibre, so probably bad. mechanix does make heat resistant gloves specifically for this. or try some TIG welding gloves if you need the dex.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
DeWalt 6AH, 4AH, charger, and case for $199 and then a free tool as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-XR-Premium-Lithium-Ion-Starter-Kit-6-0Ah-DCB246CK/313759426

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Looks like there's similar deals in other colors as well.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I have no idea where on the forums to ask about this, but this thread might be appropriate? Basically I'm looking at knives for both defense and general utility for camping and stuff. Is there a good website to buy these things or good brands that I can feel comfortable buying from? Also are there popular retailers like bass pro or something that carry stuff like this for decent prices?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Rapid-Optimum-Charger-Starter-Pack-BL1840BDC2/310377140

if you're on the correct team, the makita has the same deal

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

Basically I'm looking at knives for both defense
This is a terrible idea. There is almost no defense situation where a knife is appropriate. Unless, of course, you are being attacked by sentient carrots. Then go to town.

Dracula Factory posted:

and general utility for camping and stuff
Sweet. Are you looking for fixed blade or folding? Every day carry, or only using while camping? What's your budget? Because there is a galaxy of interesting options between $20 and $2000.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dracula Factory posted:

I have no idea where on the forums to ask about this, but this thread might be appropriate? Basically I'm looking at knives for both defense and general utility for camping and stuff. Is there a good website to buy these things or good brands that I can feel comfortable buying from? Also are there popular retailers like bass pro or something that carry stuff like this for decent prices?

Knives: My son took one off the counter and started stabbing the couch, giggling is a knife thread.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Also this, but a lot of people don't like to wander into TFR, even though we are generally tender and friendly.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

I don't know about defense, but for camping, and utility around the house, I love Morkniv.
https://morakniv.se/en/
Their basic ones are super cheap on Amazon, and I've used the ones I have a ton.
The Companion goes with me on every camping trip, and the Chisel is always close at hand when I'm working in the shop.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Defence, lol. For camping / survival type stuff I have a Fällkniven F1 that I've used for years, it's fantastic.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Used a knife to stop myself from getting mugged and carjacked by 3 guys during a pizza delivery years ago, but ok lol away. Not sure why I thought I should ask anyone on SA about this, so I'm definitely an idiot too.

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 23, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Who makes decent hand tools these days? I'm finally tired of not having metric nut drivers and want to pick some up. Most of my hand tools are craftsman and date back to when they weren't utter garbage. I know they're just nut drivers, so they don't need to be amazing, but at the same time I don't want to ever buy another set in my lifetime.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

Used a knife to stop myself from getting mugged and carjacked by 3 guys during a pizza delivery years ago, but ok lol away. Not sure why I thought I should ask anyone on SA about this, so I'm definitely an idiot too.

OP you got lucky once but as a dude who's treated a few patients that got stabbed, please don't roll those dice again. Knife fights always end badly for the winner and worse for the loser, and the odds were 3 to 1 against you. In this case you escalated and got lucky but if even one of those guys had their own knife it could have gone real bad for you, and I promise you your wallet or even your car is not worth your life

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

hypnophant posted:

OP you got lucky once but as a dude who's treated a few patients that got stabbed, please don't roll those dice again. Knife fights always end badly for the winner and worse for the loser, and the odds were 3 to 1 against you. In this case you escalated and got lucky but if even one of those guys had their own knife it could have gone real bad for you, and I promise you your wallet or even your car is not worth your life
Thank you for your concern, but I know what I'm doing in regards to fighting and escalation(that was not the only time things went a-ok for everyone because I armed myself right), I don't need internet people to teach me. I just wanted a question answered about reliable things.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dracula Factory posted:

Thank you for your concern, but I know what I'm doing in regards to fighting and escalation(that was not the only time things went a-ok for everyone because I armed myself right), I don't need internet people to teach me. I just wanted a question answered about reliable things.
ITT a master of the blade asks if Bass Pro has any good knives.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Does Milwaukee have an m18 fighting knife yet?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Slugworth posted:

ITT a master of the blade asks if Bass Pro has any good knives.

I'm not ever going to try kill anyone with it, internet person.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
While you were all futzing around with angle grinders OP was studying the blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

jfc goons, life is not a video game.