Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Dracula Factory posted:

jfc goons, life is not a video game.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dracula Factory posted:

Thank you for your concern, but I know what I'm doing in regards to fighting and escalation(that was not the only time things went a-ok for everyone because I armed myself right), I don't need internet people to teach me. I just wanted a question answered about reliable things.

:chef:

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah I know, I'm tired and I asked the wrong people for this lol.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I know how to knife fight, you internet idiots.

Anyway, where can I buy knives?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Has anybody ever used the Dewalt 20V string trimmer? I already have a 6ah battery and it's a very small area that needs trimming, so I'd like to avoid dealing with a gas or corded trimmer if possible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Khizan posted:

Has anybody ever used the Dewalt 20V string trimmer? I already have a 6ah battery and it's a very small area that needs trimming, so I'd like to avoid dealing with a gas or corded trimmer if possible.

I have one. No complaints, its fine. I'd buy another if it got stolen.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

withak posted:

While you were all futzing around with angle grinders OP was studying the blade.

More deadly than any knife, the chainsaw wheel.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

More deadly than any knife, the chainsaw wheel Harbor Freight grinding wheel.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I stand corrected.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

stealie72 posted:

More deadly than any knife, the Harbor Freight grinding wheel.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I know how to knife fight, you internet idiots.

Anyway, where can I buy knives?

drat, you got me, I am indeed a wannabe ninja who will pierce the shield with my slow blade in my masterful knife artes. lol calm down dude, people have different lives than you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rufio posted:

Does Milwaukee have an m18 fighting knife yet?

The M18 FUEL Shankzall

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
There is like a 101% chance that someone has rigged a kbar type knife onto a Sawzall and gone after a watermelon/old mattress/current roommate. And like a 75% chance they hurt themselves in the process.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

stealie72 posted:

There is like a 101% chance that someone has rigged a kbar type knife onto a Sawzall and gone after a watermelon/old mattress/current roommate. And like a 75% chance they hurt themselves in the process.

And a 100% chance they've posted in this topic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tools thread really keeping it's namesake

I'd 100% recommend checking out tfr for all your knife fighter tool questions.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

stealie72 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN2jhnWNyxs&t=278s

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Khizan posted:

Has anybody ever used the Dewalt 20V string trimmer?
For self defense?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

it's just the star trek fight music coming out of a makita 18V LXT boombox

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Tools thread really keeping it's namesake

I'd 100% recommend checking out tfr for all your knife fighter tool questions.

I hope this doesn't sound hostile or anything, but I think this page is proof enough that goons are too uptight to actually answer my questions without a bunch of strange-rear end assumptions that have nothing to do with reality. I'll just talk to the guys that made my old knives for a real human conversation on what I'll need. That's why we're all stupid internet people here, we have no clue who each we are to each other, just a name and an avatar. I thought I could get a quick answer just to browse stuff for ideas and I have no idea what the hell yall thought I was after or what I'm trying to do, but I apparently said something wrong. Maybe just chill a lil bit before assuming someone's thoughts, and I'll just come back here for hardware and power tool suggestions I guess. Now in time honored tradition, you may dunk upon me with thread appropriate jokes as I leave. (That's not sarcastic at all I love a good SA dunk off)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dracula Factory posted:

I hope this doesn't sound hostile or anything, but I think this page is proof enough that goons are too uptight to actually answer my questions without a bunch of strange-rear end assumptions that have nothing to do with reality. I'll just talk to the guys that made my old knives for a real human conversation on what I'll need. That's why we're all stupid internet people here, we have no clue who each we are to each other, just a name and an avatar. I thought I could get a quick answer just to browse stuff for ideas and I have no idea what the hell yall thought I was after or what I'm trying to do, but I apparently said something wrong. Maybe just chill a lil bit before assuming someone's thoughts, and I'll just come back here for hardware and power tool suggestions I guess. Now in time honored tradition, you may dunk upon me with thread appropriate jokes as I leave. (That's not sarcastic at all I love a good SA dunk off)
____________________________/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You got 2 good recommendations and very mildly laughed at, and then got turbo uptight about people not taking your amazing combat skills seriously. I think you should get over yourself.

I used the knife I posted for several years as a reconnaissance soldier, it's great.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

knox_harrington posted:

You got 2 good recommendations and very mildly laughed at, and then got turbo uptight about people not taking your amazing combat skills seriously. I think you should get over yourself.

I used the knife I posted for several years as a reconnaissance soldier, it's great.

This x1000

We're just ribbin' you, Drac Fac!

Unless you use a different color of power tool than me. Then I will get you. Get you good, homie.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

I didn't make any assumptions about you, I shared my own experience (which, to clarify, relates to people who thought they knew what they were doing and then got stabbed) which you responded by going "nah I know how to fight lol." I made some assumptions afterwards, admittedly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ROJO posted:

Who makes decent hand tools these days? I'm finally tired of not having metric nut drivers and want to pick some up. Most of my hand tools are craftsman and date back to when they weren't utter garbage. I know they're just nut drivers, so they don't need to be amazing, but at the same time I don't want to ever buy another set in my lifetime.
Rojo is the real victim here. This got ignored.

The go to these days appears to be "whichever big box house brand has the best sale on the tools you need."

My personal collection is a mash up of a 25 year old craftsman mechanics kit supplemented by kobalt, Stanley, and husky. It all works fine.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Alright alright fair enough I did probably see way too much hostility, I have had a rough and sleepless weekend so I'm too sensitive right now. But yeah I dont have any "knife fighting" skills, just to be clear, this is for last-resort poo poo while I also get a good camping/whittlin' knife. A solid knife has given me the confidence in the past to scare people off even when I didn't have to bring it out (I'm very feminine and people don't like that), and me throwing someone to the ground and running is always option #1 or 2 behind just plain running (I do have genuine hand to hand training and experience). I also have never actually bought a knife, just have received them as gifts, so I really have no idea what to look at in terms of brands/stores and what price is even reasonable at all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Slugworth posted:

For self defense?

I have their reciprocating saw, so I figure for self defense I'll just epoxy a knife onto an old blade.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dracula Factory posted:

Alright alright fair enough I did probably see way too much hostility, I have had a rough and sleepless weekend so I'm too sensitive right now. But yeah I dont have any "knife fighting" skills, just to be clear, this is for last-resort poo poo while I also get a good camping/whittlin' knife. A solid knife has given me the confidence in the past to scare people off even when I didn't have to bring it out (I'm very feminine and people don't like that), and me throwing someone to the ground and running is always option #1 or 2 behind just plain running (I do have genuine hand to hand training and experience). I also have never actually bought a knife, just have received them as gifts, so I really have no idea what to look at in terms of brands/stores and what price is even reasonable at all.

This knife is like $9 and has lived through my wife's daily use in a forest setting for years at a time and when it breaks....it's 9 dollars to replace. The little thumb nubbin is quite nice too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IX11YA/?coliid=I36HUX0606JC0E&colid=LYZTZXH6VBA7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Please do be careful.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Thanks. But yeah I've survived assaults on my life without killing anyone and probably avoided a few more by being vigilant, don't worry, I have actual badasses to keep teaching me how to keep safe in my life, I have good people :) . And I have stopped doing delivery stuff and live in a safer place so like this really is a psychological tool more than a physical one that I need for defense.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Milwaukee makes a nice switchblade called the Fastback, maybe try that

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Milwaukee makes a nice switchblade called the Fastback, maybe try that

this blade angle does actually look nice for cutting foam.

edit: oh it doesnt actually lock like that

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

I also have never actually bought a knife, just have received them as gifts, so I really have no idea what to look at in terms of brands/stores and what price is even reasonable at all.
Blade HQ or Smoky mountain knife works are popular sources. Reasonable prices are anywhere from $15 for a morakniv or an opinel to $50 for a Kershaw or Buck to $100-200 for a spiderco or Benchmade to $Texas for any number of hand made fancy knives.

Check out the TFR knife thread if you want great recommendations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

stealie72 posted:

Rojo is the real victim here. This got ignored.

The go to these days appears to be "whichever big box house brand has the best sale on the tools you need."

My personal collection is a mash up of a 25 year old craftsman mechanics kit supplemented by kobalt, Stanley, and husky. It all works fine.

I've had good luck with Tekton wrenches & sockets. For precision screwdrivers that see a lot of use, Wiha all the way. Hakko flush cutters. Don't know a decent brand for pliers.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Deviant posted:

this blade angle does actually look nice for cutting foam.

edit: oh it doesnt actually lock like that
It does in fact lock like that (or in the more normal fully extended position, or closed).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

heffray posted:

It does in fact lock like that (or in the more normal fully extended position, or closed).

hooray!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had good luck with Tekton wrenches & sockets. For precision screwdrivers that see a lot of use, Wiha all the way. Hakko flush cutters. Don't know a decent brand for pliers.

Knipex you philistine.

http://kctoolco.com/

My wallet sends it's regards.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

deimos posted:

Knipex you philistine.

http://kctoolco.com/

My wallet sends it's regards.

I'll see your Knipex and raise you Snapon

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HolHorsejob posted:

I'll see your Knipex and raise you Snapon
Channel Lock for life. I have no idea how they actually compare, but growing up, all of my dad's pliers had blue handles and I'm certainly not gonna let an impressionable childhood be poisoned by you lot.

This is also why the only acceptable tape measure is the 8 dollar silver Stanley. I don't wanna hear anything about how far it can stand out, or how accurate it is, is it silver? No? Piece of poo poo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Khizan posted:

Yep, they're good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm not ever going to try kill anyone with it, internet person.

Dracula Factory posted:

Thank you for your concern, but I know what I'm doing in regards to fighting and escalation(that was not the only time things went a-ok for everyone because I armed myself right), I don't need internet people to teach me. I just wanted a question answered about reliable things.

I know I'm way late, but boy these two posts don't mesh well.

In a life or death moment where use of a weapon is justified, it doesn't go "a-ok for everyone". Brandishing a knife with no desire to use it to kill will get you stabbed.

Honest knife chat: buy from a solid brand name and with a shape/size that matches the duty.

For example, when I worked on boats and half my knife's duty was sawing through line (rope), I carried a serrated, hooked, very corrosion resistant knife (the Spyderco Tasman Salt). I also use that same knife for cutting zip ties and tape that bundles cable together, because the thin curved tip meant I could avoid cutting the cable and could easily pop the zip tie. I don't use that knife for, say, peeling an apple or delicate tasks like cutting a loose thread. I carry a German Army Knife for those tasks. Spyderco, Benchmade, Mora, Victorinox, Boker, CRKT, Kershaw, and about a hundred other brands all make some good knives. There's a lot of crap mixed in there as well, but if you learn a little about different grades of steel and locking mechanisms, you'll be able to find something that works. Generic knives are usually made with poor materials, poor locking mechanisms, and poor blades. You want a non slip handle, good steel, and a solid locking mechanism. You can spend $40-$50 and get a very solid knife that'll last you for literally a decade. Just remember that it's not a pry bar, screwdriver, or anything other than a knife.

Learn to sharpen, too. Every knife gets dull, and once it is, it's basically a knife shaped object. I use a Spyderco sharpmaker, but there are other options for sure.

Oh yeah, and don't use a knife for "defense". Loser dies in the street, winner dies in the ambulance. Anyone who says they won't try to kill someone with a knife shouldn't be thinking about using one for defensive purposes. Having been trained in military knife combat years ago, it's a very... PERSONAL experience to try to stab someone, and rather horrifying to be stabbed repeatedly with a training knife by an honest-to-goodness trained attacker.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
The main reason not to use a knife for self defense is that it’s considered a lethal weapon And your aggressor will have grounds to pull a gun out and kill you