Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dan Aykroyd can act just fine wtf

I mean he's literally just playing himself

Plus he cried at the end of the movie, only real actors can do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan_Shore posted:

Dan Aykroyd can act just fine wtf

I mean he's literally just playing himself

Plus he cried at the end of the movie, only real actors can do that

I don't know... Most of the time, when actors are using a phone on screen, you're pulled in to believing they're not just reading lines to no one. I didn't quite get that from him in this one.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sigher posted:

I'm not sure how Ghostbusters is even a "thing," it's a goofy comedy film with a stupid premise and somehow it's become a nerd action film. And now it's weirdly aimed at kids.

It's the gear and the everyman vibe, it is very 'Halloween-able' which amps up the nostalgia. The kids stuff, the original film wasn't aimed at kids but the sequel definitely knew kids were where the money was in this franchise: the cartoon, the kenner toys etc

deoju posted:

Hudson isn't gonna command the price tag Aykroyd and Murray would. He'd make the best mentor of the three, imo.

Will Aykroyd cost that much? Isn't he the guy running the show at Ghost Corps? He even turned up for the voice of himself in the Planet Coaster DLC, feels like the only thing he does now is turn up for any Ghostbusters stuff and sell Crystal Head vodka.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 23, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghostbusters is "a thing" because it's the best loving movie ever made ffs

Not if you remade that film a thousand times could you come close to its genius. You are like the buzzing of flies to it

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Alan_Shore posted:

Ghostbusters is "a thing" because it's the best loving movie ever made ffs

Yea its weird that a company would keep trying to improve on a whirlwind of perfection to sell toys but here we are.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I know we are being ironic but I said before I saw Afterlife if it's a hit there will be a sequel and if it's a bomb they will just do another reboot arriving in theatres 2025. Didn't they start writing this as soon as 2016 bombed?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea its weird that a company would keep trying to improve on a whirlwind of perfection to sell toys but here we are.

PneumonicBook, pretend I don't know anything about sarcasm or internet trolling, and tell me what the hell you're trying to say

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Also I'm sure there is some hand waving for this and it may have been mentioned before but didn't ghost egon essentially assist Gozer by showing Pheobe the hidden trap, if he had just not haunted her and moved the chair the terror dog would have never been released.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'd have to see it again to be sure but was the trapping of the Terror Dog (who I think is Vinz) designed to lure Gozer and Zuul into the big trap. Egon might have thought it better to set Vinz free rather than risk Zuul attacking his family at the house. Or he might have not expected his daughter to open it. I do feel there's a lot of messiness in the writing around that plot point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Garvey posted:

I feel like theres going to be some interesting deleted scenes, or at least stories of what ended up on the cutting room floor for this.

One obvious cuts is where did the cops and everyone else in town go during the ending? They even call it out with "they were just here".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Definitely lots of stuff cut out. Ripe for a director's cut.

Also imagine Egon loving. What the hell. If Harold hadn't died I think Ray would have worked better in that role.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 22, 2021

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It just popped in there.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This looks extraordinarily bad *cums*

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Egon would be a better lover than Peter. That's canon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

This looks extraordinarily bad *cums*

Cuming makes me feel good

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I liked this but I feel like every single bit of ghost buster media drops the premise that made the first ghost busters so good:

That the first movie plays up this super high tech exciting thing as being a bunch of losers doing a very blue collar scam job, like a supernatural rat catcher using fumigator backpacks with blinky lights.

Every media since then starts with the idea that ghost busting is SO COOL and everyone is so excited. Like the uniform and stuff aren't supposed to be some badass super cool uniform, they are meant to just be a slubby fantasy version of:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I liked this but I feel like every single bit of ghost buster media drops the premise that made the first ghost busters so good:

That the first movie plays up this super high tech exciting thing as being a bunch of losers doing a very blue collar scam job, like a supernatural rat catcher using fumigator backpacks with blinky lights.

Every media since then starts with the idea that ghost busting is SO COOL and everyone is so excited. Like the uniform and stuff aren't supposed to be some badass super cool uniform, they are meant to just be a slubby fantasy version of:

I get that, but when you have a movie, however intentioned, that shows off blasting high power lasers towards something would normally terrify you and would obviously have the upper hand in any situation (plus they drive a wonderful car), what do you expect?

I know in-universe, it's a joe job, but the moment you step out of that, Ghostbusting is the coolest poo poo EVER.

Actually, even when Peter meets back up with Dana, she says he's a real celebrity. Later on "well, actually mom, he's a Ghostbuster.... those guys on TV."

And the climax begins and ends with hundreds, if not thousands of people cheering for them.

The second movie, outside of the very beginning, doubles down on this.

Ghostbusting both figuratively and literally represents the ability to laugh at your fears and save the day.

Who doesn't want a part of that? If anything, the kids in Afterlife (and Grooberson) get that.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Despite being covered in marshmallow there's a definite coolness to the way Dan Aykroyd says "We're the Ghostbusters" after Louis asks "Who're you guys?".

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I saw this last night in a Dolby Atmos cinema and it was magnificent. My younger brother and I used to watch Ghostbusters on an old VHS when we were 8 and 10 years old on repeat. Just over and over again and the feelings this conjured up in me were exactly the same as when I was a kid.

The action sequence chasing Muncher through the town was superb and shot really well.

The loudness and familiarity of when Podcast first turned on Phoebe's backup to hear that humming and then silence before she activated the wand followed by the sound of the blast was magical. It really gave me goosebumps. I cannot praise the sound and music in this film enough. I loved hearing motifs from the old score and it helped settle me into the film.

I think the reverance of the tech matches a load of kids discovering it and learning that they were used in a battle to save the world. I would feel the same. Phoebe and Podcast really were a wonderful team and they were utterly fearless in their actions. That is what my brother and I wanted all the time when we were younger and it was cool to see it captured.

I was not expecting it to be like the first film because nothing is, but it is definitely my second favourite and if we see a containment unit overload from the first firehouse in a sequel with Winston leading a team of Phoebe, Podcast and a few others (mirroring Egon from extreme ghostbusters) then I am there in a heartbeat!

Also I thought the machine Egon whipped up to prevent the apocalypse was absolutely genius. Literally crossed streams going off on intervals to beat back Gozer. Explains the P wave perfectly! And that Vinz destroyed it to let everyone out.

The farm house trap was a superb idea, and visually it looked fantastic. The whole film looked great visually and it was ace to see them use puppetry for the dogs because it definitely made it scary. In fact there were a number of scary moments and that I really dug. Our audience laughed and shrieked all over the place.

So, so glad I saw it. There was so much good in it. Only a few flaws, but I am so willing to overlook it for what a great time I had :D

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Actually, even when Peter meets back up with Dana, she says he's a real celebrity. Later on "well, actually mom, he's a Ghostbuster.... those guys on TV."

Not arguing your overall point but at this point in the story they’re more like a local lawyer or car salesman with a goofy/memorable jingle or commercial. She’s definitely not bragging to her mom that’s she’s dating a Ghostbuster.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Alan_Shore posted:

PneumonicBook, pretend I don't know anything about sarcasm or internet trolling, and tell me what the hell you're trying to say

I was agreeing that GB1 is a great movie however Hollywood is a profit driven industry selling my generation on our childhood nostalgia, and that this is unfortunately the world we live in.

In a just world there is one Ghostbusters movie.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but if some fumigators like the ones in the picture there had literally saved the world (or New York at the very least) from a cataclysmic threat, then those people would become stuff of legend and people would definitely want to emulate them.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

AndyElusive posted:

But would it have made Kevin Smith cry?

Probably! If Kevin Smith cried at Rise of Skywalker, he'll cry at anything.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get that, but when you have a movie, however intentioned, that shows off blasting high power lasers towards something would normally terrify you and would obviously have the upper hand in any situation (plus they drive a wonderful car), what do you expect?

I know in-universe, it's a joe job, but the moment you step out of that, Ghostbusting is the coolest poo poo EVER.

And the climax begins and ends with hundreds, if not thousands of people cheering for them.

The second movie, outside of the very beginning, doubles down on this.

Ghostbusting both figuratively and literally represents the ability to laugh at your fears and save the day.

Who doesn't want a part of that? If anything, the kids in Afterlife (and Grooberson) get that.

That is why ghostbusters was a comedy movie. It juxtaposed clearly absurdly high tech gadgets and supernatural pests with a group of people that acted like the biggest losers running a small time semi-fraudulent pest control service. bumbling and grifting through every step to saving the world. the audience knows ghosts are supernatural and proton packs are sci-fi while everyone in the movie is only sort of vaguely annoyed and flustered with most of the ghosts. Like the government is shutting them down for EPA violations and not like, the men in black sweeping in to control their tech or anything.

every bit of ghost busters media since the first one dropped that central premise. It immediately focuses on how cool the tech is and how spooky ghosts are. Not people kinda being vaguely annoyed at their bill.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Disagree with the idea that the Ghostbusters are fraudulent. Ghost hunters in real life are often frauds, but in the fictional world of Ghostbusters, ghosts are very real and in some cases dangerous and are effectively dealt with by the Ghostbusters. They give the Sedgwick manager a big bill but they DID deal with his ghost problem. They don't even start their business until they see a ghost with their own eyes, and I always figured the whole business aspect itself was so Egon and Ray could fund their research. Venkman's a bit of a conman, but that's the joke, as he becomes a real ghost hunter.

Plus, the first film contains the spookiest ghosts imo, the chair sequence is as frightening as the films ever got.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Alan_Shore posted:

- Scene at Walmart is awful. Why is no one in there? Too much Staypuft!

Having worked at Walmart as overnight doorgreeter for a stint, that's realistic for really late night at Walmart. Same for the employees just walking around paying no mind to a terror dog running through the aisles and Stay-pufts tearing up baking goods and appliances. That falls under wait until a manager says something first.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Not arguing your overall point but at this point in the story they’re more like a local lawyer or car salesman with a goofy/memorable jingle or commercial. She’s definitely not bragging to her mom that’s she’s dating a Ghostbuster.

:wtc:

They are absolutely minor celebrities in the first movie. They're on the front page of every newspaper and the cover of Time, Newsweek, and a bunch of other magazines I'm forgetting right now. Larry King is interviewing them!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I had a laugh at how the Walmart doors opened up (after the fact) when Vinz Clortho's spirit orb zoomed inside.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Play the 2009 video game for more than an hour and then come back here and tell us how ghost busting ISN'T cool.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Play the 2009 video game for more than an hour and then come back here and tell us how ghost busting ISN'T cool.

Too bad they didn't release the DLC where you have to clean up every mess you made.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

text me a vag pic posted:

Too bad they didn't release the DLC where you have to clean up every mess you made.

Ectoplasm Cleanup Detail.

They'd contract that out to another start-up company.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

:wtc:

They are absolutely minor celebrities in the first movie. They're on the front page of every newspaper and the cover of Time, Newsweek, and a bunch of other magazines I'm forgetting right now. Larry King is interviewing them!

They're for sure celebrities but my point is they are not glamorous celebrities. When Dana says "you're a big celebrity now" it's after she busts his chops for his lie about being able to pick her out in the orchestra, when she tells her mom she's dating a Ghostbuster it's with a hint of embarrassment. Also they aren't interviewed by Larry King, King reports on them and calls them controversial and repeats claims that they are the ones engineering the incidents themselves. When a TV host asks Ray "how is Elvis, and have you seen him lately" it's because they're kind of a joke (at least to establishment types, the average person might think they're great, a guy gives them some roast ducks!)

It's like how the Tiger King is a celebrity (but in an obviously less scummy and murdery way, but still in a "check out this latest sideshow" way)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Weird thing I noticed in the theater. Ray's tattoo correctly says Revelations 6:12 for the end of the world passage. But in the conversation he and Winston have in the original film he misremembers the passage as Revelations 7:12.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

deoju posted:

Weird thing I noticed in the theater. Ray's tattoo correctly says Revelations 6:12 for the end of the world passage. But in the conversation he and Winston have in the original film he misremembers the passage as Revelations 7:12.

Obviously he went back and double checked it before getting inked.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Kind of nice that this movie goes out of its way to correct two of Ray's numerical errors from the original movie, the date of the Tunguska event and the Bible quote.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Icon-Cat posted:

Kind of nice that this movie goes out of its way to correct two of Ray's numerical errors from the original movie, the date of the Tunguska event and the Bible quote.
Perhaps Ray is just always off by one. Something to bear in mind when he tells you the opening hours for the book shop :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just saw it about 2 hours ago. Really wanted to like it a lot but I just didn't find it very funny (although part of this might have been my empty theater). It was also way too referential to the original and I found a certain aspect of it very ghoulish and off-putting. I guess I'm getting old and grumpy. :( bummer

Edit: oh but I did want to say that all the actors did a great job in their roles. Not a bad performance here imo

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 24, 2021

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

This whole thing felt super well cast and I loved it.

Ending spoiler:
I was expecting Egon to get sucked into a trap at the farm at the end and then a post-credits scene where they're all going through the traps one-by-one to figure out which one he's stuck in. I might have preferred that to the overly long dedication scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So does Egon proving that there can be good ghosts bring any reflection from the original Busters that they might have been rear end in a top hat cops (or mercs) by unilaterally blasting and imprisoning all these supernatural entities just because someone paid them to? I mean, what harm was the ghost jogger doing? Did they shoot all the people who died on the Titanic in the face with proton streams as a way of saying "Welcome to America!"?