Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFTA2 is a really dang good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

FFTA2 is a really dang good game

Dude, it's so packed with content, I was actually kind of shook. We only got to like level 9 and there's already over a page of sidequests available at the pub.

And the DS sound chip is straight up maximized. Hearing FF12 tunes and tracks with popping bass was really impressive to me now that I'm older and more cognizant of technical limitations. I feel like highschool me took the quality of this game for granted.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

HD DAD posted:

Controversial opinion that is possibly bad: I think the PRs are so far the definitive versions of the games and are generally excellent. Also, I never liked any of the bonus content and thought they were cheap tack-ons onto already complete games in order to sell the various ports over the years. Going back and just releasing the OG versions is cool and good.

Nah I agree with this.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I wonder if mode 7 overworld for chocobo/airship in 6 PR is going to be changed significantly? There's lots of things about 6 that are departures from the first 5 games that it's hard to imagine how they fit in the same outline that the other pixel remasters. Sprite size, blitz inputs, the oft mentioned spell effects and all the mode 7 sequences finally feel fully 16 bit. The only real changes to 4 and 5 over the 8 bit FFs is the color depth, so it makes sense they'd fit in the same framework.

HD DAD posted:

Controversial opinion that is possibly bad: I think the PRs are so far the definitive versions of the games and are generally excellent. Also, I never liked any of the bonus content and thought they were cheap tack-ons onto already complete games in order to sell the various ports over the years. Going back and just releasing the OG versions is cool and good.

I'm 90% of the way there and only really quibble about certain interactions in V that are bug adjacent and of questionable intentionality, like fight commands and weapon procs, and some rebalances feeling uneccesary, like breaking boosted rods. Shell not working on Almaghest also feels wrong.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 24, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think 4PR looks and sounds very inferior to the SNES/GBA version, and 5PR sounds buggy in the wrong ways that don't even make it more interesting!

3PR is probably going to turn out to be the only worthwhile one of these releases

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

HD DAD posted:

Agreed, I think the character sprites for the PRs are lovely and the bonus content was mostly filler trash that I won't miss. I wish the PRs included "classic" balance/gameplay options without having to mod them in, though. FF1 and 2 have lost a lot of what made their gameplay (for better or for worse) interesting with each post-PS1 release in favor of just blindly mashing the attack option in nearly every combat, and the PRs are so bad about that I can't feel like they're OG definitive versions even if I want them to be. If you don't have to keep mental track of how much damage each enemy has taken/will take because everything dies in one hit and the game will retarget enemies automatically, there's really not a whole lot to engage with there

FF1PR being so easy that it basically plays itself until you get to Chaos, who is leagues harder than anything in any iteration of FF1 ever, was kinda terrible

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

in no world do any of the pixel remakes sound worse than the GBA version of anything

you may not enjoy the arrangement, but gba sound is an abomination

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
FF4's songs may be classic to the point that anything but the originals sound wrong, but man, I have spent my time playin the PR just going HOLY poo poo at the remixes/remasters of the music. The songs slap. Things look nice. I haven't beaten it yet so I can't fully weigh in on the effects of any rebalancing, but it overall plays great and anything I've noticed is piddly in the grand scheme of the game functioning.

I have been holding out on FF5PR getting a big ol' bug patch though, oof.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Thankfully I haven’t run into anything buggy in 5PR as of yet, but I’m not surprised it shipped with some jankiness. It’s probably the most internally complex game of the batch, right?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People are hyper aware of bugs/changes in ff5 because every facet of that game has been picked through because of Fiestas.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FeatherFloat posted:

FF4's songs may be classic to the point that anything but the originals sound wrong, but man, I have spent my time playin the PR just going HOLY poo poo at the remixes/remasters of the music. The songs slap. Things look nice. I haven't beaten it yet so I can't fully weigh in on the effects of any rebalancing, but it overall plays great and anything I've noticed is piddly in the grand scheme of the game functioning.

I have been holding out on FF5PR getting a big ol' bug patch though, oof.

Like I said when I was talking about all the bugs I found in FF5PR, none of them were game breaking or made me lose any progress so doing a Brad Shoemaker and waiting on a patch is probably not worth it, especially beyond the patch that they just released.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

SettingSun posted:

People are hyper aware of bugs/changes in ff5 because every facet of that game has been picked through because of Fiestas.

Yeah, that. I'm a Fiesta fan and have done a lot of runs and I have feelings about version differences. That said, the recent patch that takes care of the really egregious-sounding stuff is just what I've been waiting for! I'll be picking it up once I finish 4.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
In FFV, Neo Exdeath could be skipped by doing enough damage to Exdeath quickly. Don't try this in FFVPR. The game just softlocks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Thankfully I haven’t run into anything buggy in 5PR as of yet, but I’m not surprised it shipped with some jankiness. It’s probably the most internally complex game of the batch, right?

FF6 is waaaay more complex. It pushed the hardware to the absolute limit, they used a lot of clever programming tricks and workarounds, and as a result it is absolutely riddled with bugs. It's a small miracle that the game is even playable.

Check out this LP if you want to see how bad it gets: https://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't done any bonus dungeons that I can remember, and I love FF6 as much as the next fella, but the Dragon's Den sounds absolutely miserable and the Soul Shrine sounds like a boring slog

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
The new dungeons in the GBA releases are generally not great, but the ability to change your party in FF4, the new jobs in FF5 and the new espers in FF6 are all fun and add to the experience imo. FF4 in particular gains a lot from being able to shake up the party at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its content thats all (except FFIV) optional end/postgame stuff. Theres no reason not to include it (again arguable for ffiv as it actually changes the plot) and they've been part of the game longer than they haven't (again except ffiv) so its also sort of a baseline expectation for me across the many rebuys I've done over the years.

Its also ruder than hell they appeared to have delisted the non-pr versions so if you did want them and don't already own them now you can't have them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF6 is an excellent game with a ton of half-baked mechanics: esper-leveling, Gau's rages, Mog's Dances, Cyan's Bushido...

Sweet Witness
Jan 13, 2006

I don't even try
Fallen Rib

Anarchy Stocking posted:

In FFV, Neo Exdeath could be skipped by doing enough damage to Exdeath quickly. Don't try this in FFVPR. The game just softlocks.

I think I had this for Necrophobe too, Greg showed up then Necrophobe died before the dialog started leading to a softlock

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FF6 is an excellent game with a ton of half-baked mechanics: esper-leveling, Gau's rages, Mog's Dances, Cyan's Bushido...

Final Fantasy VI feels like a dozen people were just going all in on cool gameplay ideas without any communication, so you have all these commands that fall off in World or Ruin like Tools/Dance, commands that are super situational like Runic, and stuff that sucks like Bushido because someone thought charge times would be cool without thinking about how easy FFVI is.

and then Sketch, which I’ve mentioned before a few times but for a tl;dr it uses enemy stats but the player damage formula in a game where enemies have terrible stats because level is so influential to their damage formula so even when you get something like Ultima on the final boss it’s running off their 6 Magic Attack.

It’s kinda admirable. Like, no joke. It also represents a clusterfuck of development organization to have a command like Rage where having the ambition to have 256* Rages actively makes the game worse than scaling back but it’s still shows passion for the end result to have so many weird command ideas.

*iirc every version of FFVI locks off the 256th Rage, Tonberry, which is something like x8 damage when it’s command procs, because the menu can only show 255 slots. FFVI is kind of a mess!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF9 was pretty good but it’s no FF5

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The jank/kitchen sink bits of FF6 give a unique texture to the game that helped it imprint on my teen mind. Going to my 8th grade lunch and telling my best friend that I saw Sabin use a move called Tiger Break and they called bullshit only to go over their house and experience the Sketch glitch in the wild when fighting the ice dragon.

And then learning later about all the bullshit you can do with Rippler? Who designed that ability?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Rippler, AKA Shadow's Bane.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Electromax posted:

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1463505558191984646?s=20
More FFT stuff, trying to wrap my head around the plot now that I am using a more understandable translation. Matsuno plots sure have a tone don't they.

Besrudio... Bunansa

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The Gogo dungeon from FF6 is some absolutely absurd poo poo and deserves all the love sent its way. I'm sure it's happened, but I refuse to believe anyone discovered its location organically. I think every good RPG should have cryptic horseshit like that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Blue Labrador posted:

The Gogo dungeon from FF6 is some absolutely absurd poo poo and deserves all the love sent its way. I'm sure it's happened, but I refuse to believe anyone discovered its location organically. I think every good RPG should have cryptic horseshit like that.

When my Uncle was playing it and I was watching and he found a Zone Eater I straight up just asked him to see what happened if the whole party got sucked in. He sighed and reluctantly agreed after saving, and we were blown away that there was a dungeon inside of it! It was a super cool moment.

The dungeon we didn't find until Nintendo Power had it in their tips section was the Ancient Castle under Figaro, because who is ever using the castle to move around in the WoR?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gogo's dungeon is 100% a "my uncle at Nintendo told me" thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

I haven’t been able to find gently caress-all for Sprite replacements and I’m upset there isn’t a Cloud/Tifa/Aeristh/Barrett sprite replacement mod.

Unless there is and I haven’t been able to find it
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasypixelremaster/mods/11

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Gogo's dungeon is definitely the kind of thing where if one of my friends told me about it when I was a kid playing Final Fantasy "3" for the first time I would have 100% believed they were bullshitting. It sounds like those Mortal Kombat rumors about secret characters based on random text strings in the game but it's actually true.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've just been typing up some work emails today and leaning back thinking about how great Final Fantasy IX is. Maybe too great?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's insanely good, if the ending didn't make you tear up you are made of stone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zakharov posted:

It's insanely good, if the ending didn't make you tear up you are made of stone.

Perhaps their plant brain was defeated

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF9: my favorite one after all these years

I think I had the same arc with FF9 as I had with Wind Waker. With both of them I was really disappointed when I first saw screen shots in gaming magazines (please forgive me I was a dumb kid who thought realistic "cool" graphics were all that I wanted) and then as soon as I actually played them they became my favorites in their respective series. Also they both look beautiful, especially in motion, and I was very wrong about what "good graphics" meant.

To give myself some credit I did play them both when they first came out so my "ugh this looks dumb" to "this is amazing" progression didn't take that long

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 24, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

IX is excellent but I *hate* that the main character is a thief and there are a bunch rare things to try and steal from like all the bosses. Honestly that alone keeps me from replaying it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The big secret to FFIX's stealing is that a lot of the good equipment you can steal from bosses is available from shops not too long after. I mean I definitely get suckered into trying to steal some of them anyway and get frustrated, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I try to remember that it doesn't really matter if I steal them and that I'll be able to buy them before long anyway.

Hell, in one case (the Holy Lance from a disc 3 boss) you could already have Freya's ultimate weapon by then if you do Chocobo Hot & Cold a bunch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like thiefs for main characters because it allows them to be goofier and more youthful compared to the older, wiser, more grizzled man whose incredibly advanced years have turned him into the beefy weapon/armor guy, like Auron at the advanced age of 35 or Steiner at 33 or Basch at 36.

I cannot believe Auron is 35.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blue Labrador posted:

And the DS sound chip is straight up maximized. Hearing FF12 tunes and tracks with popping bass was really impressive to me now that I'm older and more cognizant of technical limitations.

I got to Ozmone Plain in my current XII playthrough and I was like "Oh yeah, they used this song quite a bit in A2!" They also used the Salikawood music as well as at least one boss theme. A2 having a bunch of XII music in it rules, it shows that even Square themselves know that XII is one of the best FF soundtracks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't believe I'm the same age as Auron lol

Basch, meanwhile, looks pretty great and believably like a mid-30s guy in great shape (though how he's in such incredible shape right away after his imprisonment is anyone's guess), and nobody treats him like he's super old at least.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

I like thiefs for main characters because it allows them to be goofier and more youthful compared to the older, wiser, more grizzled man whose incredibly advanced years have turned him into the beefy weapon/armor guy, like Auron at the advanced age of 35 or Steiner at 33 or Basch at 36.

You have to age up every party member in mainline final fantasies at least ten years.

No Palom and Porom are not loving 5 years old Square wtf.

FF6 probably has the oldest average age given that you've got Cyan and Strago pulling it up, plus Edgar and Sabin are in their late twenties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

jokes posted:

Lay off Auron, Spira ages you hard. Maester Mika is probably like 50