Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm looking to get someone a houseplant as a Christmas present and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a plant that is: cat friendly (is a must, their cat loves to nibble plants), relatively easy to look after and interesting.

So far I've come up with either a ponytail palm or a rattlesnake plant.

maybe one of the more interesting large pothos (marble queen, etc)?

or a schefflera?

Do you want big? Monstera? Philodendron selloum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

or a schefflera?

I'm pretty sure Pothos is poisonous to cats so be careful with that one.

My standard cat-safe suggestions are Maranta or Calathea. They look real pretty, are easy to take care of, and are non toxic.

While I believe Beaucarnea recurvata (ponytail palm) is non-toxic, if you go that way I'd recommend getting a nice heavy pot as cats like to rub on poo poo and the taller the plant is the easier it is for them to knock it over.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 23, 2021

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In my experience anything with grass-like leaves is a kitty magnet so maybe not then ponytail palm.

Zamioculcas, maybe? A jade plant?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

In my experience anything with grass-like leaves is a kitty magnet so maybe not then ponytail palm.

Zamioculcas, maybe? A jade plant?

I’m P sure ZZ is toxic, but I might be wrong

Crassula are good if you can find a suitably impressive one.

On the same note- Portulacaria/spekboom is good, and edible in fact.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ok Comboomer posted:

or a schefflera?

Monstera and pothos are toxic. Next two I want to get that won't kill my cat are aspidistra and saintpaulia

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FWIW, the fauna in my backyard test-tasted everything except for literally the euphorbias

they seemed to know about them, my hunch is they could smell the caustic latex

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

FWIW, the fauna in my backyard test-tasted everything except for literally the euphorbias

they seemed to know about them, my hunch is they could smell the caustic latex

Unlike outdoor animals where death is around every corner, many indoor cats have a poorly honed ability to avoid eating things that will make them sick. My theory is that they’ve honed this skill to punish the humans that think they have a pet cat. Unfortunately all grant panels are run by cat owners and I cannot get the funding to test this theory.

As for content, does anyone have tips for rehabilitating a Norfolk Pine? We have one that dropped all its lower branches and while I found it a spot it likes now, I have no idea how to convince it to not look like a very short giraffe ate all its lower foliage.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm looking to get someone a houseplant as a Christmas present and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a plant that is: cat friendly (is a must, their cat loves to nibble plants), relatively easy to look after and interesting.

Your ideal plant in this situation is probably Pilea peperomioides . It's the easiest thing to care for in the world, non-toxic, and widely available again after being impossible to find for a couple years back in like 2017.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m P sure ZZ is toxic, but I might be wrong

Crassula are good if you can find a suitably impressive one.

On the same note- Portulacaria/spekboom is good, and edible in fact.

Yeah, ZZ are aroids, which are all toxic to pets.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Peperomia are non-toxic too. They also tend to want less light and less water than Pilea. Red, Frost, and Watermelon are all interesting looking. Maybe it depends whether your friend is more likely to be an over-waterer or an under-waterer.

Rattlesnake plants are non-toxic and cool looking but they are calatheas, which have a reputation for being a little more difficult than "beginner" houseplant.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Peperomia are non-toxic too. They also tend to want less light and less water than Pilea. Red, Frost, and Watermelon are all interesting looking. Maybe it depends whether your friend is more likely to be an over-waterer or an under-waterer.

Rattlesnake plants are non-toxic and cool looking but they are calatheas, which have a reputation for being a little more difficult than "beginner" houseplant.

tulips are nontoxic

pop em in the fridge now and they might be ready to sprout for Christmas

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why is my medusa euphorbia doing this?

It's definitely not being over watered, but maybe underwatered? I know they don't like being thirsty as much as some other euphorbias and I've been watering whenever the stems feel a bit thin and droopy instead of big and firm, but that's maybe every four weeks or longer. Does that sound too infrequent?

My original theory was lack of light since the yellowing stems were originally all ones coming up from underneath, and the windowsill it's on has sort of stopped getting direct sunlight due to the change in sun angle heading into summer. I've started using the artificial light I got for it originally again but now some further up stems are also dying off so maybe it wasn't that in the first place.

A lot of the living stems are putting on a ton of new growth in the last few weeks so I feel like it can't be that unhappy, but the increasing yellow stems are worrying me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Unfortunately the possibilities for yellowing leaves/stems (I'm not up on my flanaganii morphology) on it are approximately: too much water, too little water, too hot, too cold, too much light, not enough light (e.g. changes in conditions causing the plant to rotate out bits it thinks aren't pulling their weight).

It's basically impossible for anyone to tell you if every four weeks is too much or not enough because how often plants need water is extremely dependent on how much light they're getting, what you're growing them in, and what the conditions are in your home. If the yellow ones dry up and shrivel then the plant is getting rid of them for one reason or another—might be seasonal or it might be thirst. If they start getting mushy and poo poo you have a different problem.

The fact that it's putting out new growth doesn't necessarily mean that it's happy, but it probably indicates that all of its roots haven't rotted off or anything.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Organza Quiz posted:

My useles observation is that my giant one lost a quarter of its stems one summer for no discernible reason, and it's fine now. For what it's worth I kept mine in full sun, watering often when it's hot and every couple of weeks otherwise.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Kenning posted:

Your ideal plant in this situation is probably Pilea peperomioides . It's the easiest thing to care for in the world, non-toxic, and widely available again after being impossible to find for a couple years back in like 2017.

I posted about it earlier in this thread but I love my Pilea peperomioides, it's growing like stink, making babies, and all of that in spite of my genetic black thumb, just with basic care and a north facing window. It's cheap and cheerful but I'm cheap and could use some cheer so it's an A+ from me, a houseplant murderer.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks! No worries then if it's not something obvious, I will experiment until morale improves. It's just my first ever plant that I've actually cared about so I want it to thrive!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

angerbeet posted:

I posted about it earlier in this thread but I love my Pilea peperomioides, it's growing like stink, making babies, and all of that in spite of my genetic black thumb, just with basic care and a north facing window. It's cheap and cheerful but I'm cheap and could use some cheer so it's an A+ from me, a houseplant murderer.
I'm still salty that mine ate poo poo and died very soon after purchase, in spite of my genetic green thumb. :( So YMMV, but if your intended recipient is not actively hostile to houseplants, it's worth a shot.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I'm still salty that mine ate poo poo and died very soon after purchase, in spite of my genetic green thumb. :( So YMMV, but if your intended recipient is not actively hostile to houseplants, it's worth a shot.

Even the greenest thumb-havers I know kill stuff. You just gotta keep plant murdering until it don't hurt so bad.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Every time a plant dies it is an indictment of my character.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Thanks for all the advice on good cat friendly houseplants, I've decided to go with a watermelon peperomia and see how they get on with that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The secret that serious plant people know but don't tell people is that killing plants is one of the best feelings in the world. The rarer the plant the better it feels to kill it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

If any of you are orchid enthusiasts and live near southern CT, I highly suggest checking out J&L Orchids. I was able to visit for the first time today and holy moly.

you weren’t kidding, what an amazing place

wasn’t expecting it to be in somebody’s back yard but wowie zowie what a surprising orchid nursery to see in the middle of Connecticut

it’s like 20 min from my parents’ house too

I didn’t buy anything this time because I spent all my Black Friday money at a Mahoney’s first :shrug: but they’re open all the time so—

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
....speaking of which, can I get some help with these two IDs?

goon hand for scale

what’s the deal with the bell pepper-looking motherfucker on the bottom? It’s got what look like pretty reduced and inconsistent spines (groups of 5, 3, 2, 1). Is it some kind of monstrose Echinopsis?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ok Comboomer posted:

you weren’t kidding, what an amazing place

wasn’t expecting it to be in somebody’s back yard but wowie zowie what a surprising orchid nursery to see in the middle of Connecticut

it’s like 20 min from my parents’ house too

I didn’t buy anything this time because I spent all my Black Friday money at a Mahoney’s first :shrug: but they’re open all the time so—

Nice. Glad you were able to check it out! That place is so cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok Comboomer posted:

....speaking of which, can I get some help with these two IDs?

goon hand for scale

what’s the deal with the bell pepper-looking motherfucker on the bottom? It’s got what look like pretty reduced and inconsistent spines (groups of 5, 3, 2, 1). Is it some kind of monstrose Echinopsis?

The bell pepper is a Gymnocalycium horstii and the other one looks like a thelocactus of some kind but I’m not sure. Very cool though 😎

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The bell pepper is a Gymnocalycium horstii and the other one looks like a thelocactus of some kind but I’m not sure. Very cool though 😎

right on!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Gymno is rad AF. The Thelo looks like rinconensis, probably one of the subspecies with a modified spine arrangement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for the IDs! I also picked up some Euphorbia milii. Am I better off potting it in gritty mix like one might a more arid-suited succulent Euphorbia, or more of a dry/well-draining organic soil?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I potted my milii in a very fast-draining mix of soil and pebbles. Seems to be doing well.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I put mine in coir basically on a whim and it's still doing fine many years later.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Update on clumping bamboo eradication: use the right tool for the right job, folks.

5 pound mattock + clumping bamboo + clay soils = popping root clumps out like it's nothing. It's like cutting through butter.

Added bonus, it's a great way to release some frustration/stress.

smax fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 2, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll see you in hell, bamboo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FnEIQSO7bI

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I deal with hydroexcavation rigs enough at work, and I really don't need any more exposure to them. They make everyones' lives so much easier except for me, the guy that has to manage the waste and deal with the vacuum boxes at the end.

Not bitter at all, no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImK4jfbXxU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Now that's a machine I can get behind. Reminds me of a toy I had when I was 3.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

https://youtu.be/gY4FXfx-BcI

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I wasn't really expecting my rather small Huernia to flower at its size but I guess it felt like it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I wasn't really expecting my rather small Huernia to flower at its size but I guess it felt like it.

That's dope. My huernia flowered the year i got it, but it keeps getting smaller and smaller. Maybe the soil is too gritty.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

That's dope. My huernia flowered the year i got it, but it keeps getting smaller and smaller. Maybe the soil is too gritty.

Mines getting roasted in Bonsai Jack (so pretty gritty) but I water it pretty often.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Wallet posted:

I bought a small, leftover plant from a plant sale prior to some renovations that had to be performed inside my city's botanical gardens. It was unlabeled, but extremely similar to the picture you posted--except that it is a lighter shade of green without any purple/red hue. I started with one small cutting, and it's grown a few branches like your picture over summer. You are saying this is called a Huernia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Pioneer42 posted:

I bought a small, leftover plant from a plant sale prior to some renovations that had to be performed inside my city's botanical gardens. It was unlabeled, but extremely similar to the picture you posted--except that it is a lighter shade of green without any purple/red hue. I started with one small cutting, and it's grown a few branches like your picture over summer. You are saying this is called a Huernia?

The one I posted is specifically Huernia schneideriana. There are other plants with similar structures but the flowers are quite distinctive. It's red/purple because of how much light it's getting, they are normally greener.