Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh no it’s fine everyone, it’s just

That flavor text is hitting way too hard right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did the booster and flu shot combo this past Saturday and felt a little under the weather Sunday night, was fine by Monday morning.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Combos aren’t as powerful as they used to be

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The hard part is getting the 17 basics in the arm

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You use 16 lands, what do you get
Screwed out of mana, I hate drafting this set

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MrSargent posted:

Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and downloaded it and it actually grabbed all the details of my latest draft / deck and I have linked them below. Just some context though this is the second Premium draft I have ever done so I know I probably made a lot of dumb decisions drafting. But I want to get better so would appreciate any advice.

Draft
https://www.17lands.com/draft/36bcb0e9c79f44a3be1a45b7209eade3

Deck
https://www.17lands.com/deck/36bcb0e9c79f44a3be1a45b7209eade3

draft:

p1p1: not a good idea to start your draft off with a two color card when you have strong one color cards you could take instead. twinblade geist is very strong and has a much wider range of cards you can draft alongside it than a gold card does

p1p3: same again, except u/g is one of the worst archetypes so there's even more incentive to avoid a gold card in those colors. lantern bearer is the strongest single color card here, i don't mind the evolving wilds either.

p1p5: dawnheart disciple has a 51% games drawn winrate and traveling minister is at 55%. that's a pretty big gap, especially when you're not solidly in any colors yet

p1p8: another really low win% card here. rugged recluse is probably the best card in the pack or you could take hungry ridgewolf to stick with the werewolf theme you've got

p1p10: hearse is nothing special but seeing both lantern bearer and syphon esscense this late in a pack is a signal that blue is an open color. this really doesn't jive with you p1p3. if you're willing to take a gold card that highly then you should also be willing to follow up on it. if you're going to avoid the good blue commons, don't spend high picks on other blue cards

p1p11: lacerate flesh is one of the worst removal spells in the set. 5 mana for 4 damage is a really bad rate (compare this to abrade's 3 damage for 2 mana), and if you're actually using it to deal the full 4 damage, you don't get the blood tokens from it. the scorpion is also pretty bad but you're very solidly in green, so scorpion has a higher chance of making it into your final deck

p1p13: guess we should have been in white... feels pretty bad turning down a top common this late but we didn't really see reasons to get into white before now. maybe if you had stayed mono-green you could have taken it? g/w kind of sucks though...

p2p1: pack kind of sucks but you're just taking a 3 mana 3/3 here (with RR in the casting cost making it hard to cast)

p3p2: Packsong pup is a house, maybe you don't have enough wolves but in that case falkenrath celebrants is better than hunter imo. it's one mana cheaper and r/g really loves having blood tokens because otherwise you're pretty screwed if you draw more land than you need.

deck:

looks fine, no complaints here

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toshimo posted:

If anyone is interested in a real good high-level look-in on EDH as a format concept right now, this is a really good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIoABZJo_mI

I posted that in the Commander thread yesterday, and it's a fantastic conversation between Prof and PlesantKenobi. I really wasn't aware that the "chill/laid back of playstyle" was more of a roll with the punches type of vibe than what it is today. I really do agree that it is essentially a game of pretend and if everyone pretends that the format works then it freaking works.

I'll gladly admit to having gripes about being in playgroups that don't enjoy (like seriously get salty) if you destroy a land or throw down an Armageddon to reset the board, or even the idea notion of making an izzet deck where the blue side is nothing but counterspells/dopplegangers and red is just burn burn burn for shits and giggles. On the other facet of that I do understand that if you play that way you're just stopping anyone from doing anything while fun for you, is definitely not fun for the players on the receiving end of those spells, I've been one of those players that ends up watching someone else take 15 minutes to play solitaire and then not win which does really suck. Ultimately I do tend to be of the mindset of playing around the deficiencies your deck may/will have because if you put cards in those decks to try and plan for those situations your deck becomes really bloated and unfocused unfortunately. (I do that a lot, but I hate hate hate hyperfocusing a deck just makes me feel too vulnerable I like being well rounded on defense damnit!)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

little munchkin posted:

*draft help*

deck:

looks fine, no complaints here

Thanks a lot for taking the time to go through my draft and share some suggestions, that all really helps.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

God ikoria was such a fun draft format

Yeah it slapped. Eldraine -> Zendikar Rising was such a good stretch of limited formats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Midnight Hunt Bundle has a $6.44 coupon resulting in a $29ish price tag, which isn't too bad if you want a MID bundle.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Innistrad-Midnight-Accessories/dp/B0996TVMTY

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah it slapped. Eldraine -> Zendikar Rising was such a good stretch of limited formats.
I never got to play ikoria until they did the multiple free drafts recently and yeah it was really great. the whole creature cycling concept to add counters was a great idea, I hope we revisit ikoria in 2023 or so and get more stuff like that.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I wasn't around for Ikoria draft but if the cycling archetype was as dominant as some people complain about it really seemed quite lame. Thinking of cards like Flourishing Fox, Cycling Human Token Producer, and others that went brrrrrr, including in Standard. People like to hate on "activates only once per turn" by I'm so glad they seem to be using it more and more in the last couple sets, it's ultimately healthy for the game IMO. Trying to balance abilities that can be activated anywhere from 0 to like 5 or 6 times a turn somewhat trivially is not at all easy to do AND is bound to lead to some wonky play patterns and feelbad moments if at all pushed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cycling in Ikoria was tuned too high but it didn't dominate, there were lots of other viable decks in format. If nobody else was taking one mana cyclers in a pod a cycling deck could go nuts but a draft usually couldn't support two cycling decks comfortably.

I agree that the Once Per Turn triggers are an improvement though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

I wasn't around for Ikoria draft but if the cycling archetype was as dominant as some people complain about it really seemed quite lame. Thinking of cards like Flourishing Fox, Cycling Human Token Producer, and others that went brrrrrr, including in Standard. People like to hate on "activates only once per turn" by I'm so glad they seem to be using it more and more in the last couple sets, it's ultimately healthy for the game IMO. Trying to balance abilities that can be activated anywhere from 0 to like 5 or 6 times a turn somewhat trivially is not at all easy to do AND is bound to lead to some wonky play patterns and feelbad moments if at all pushed.

it was op for a week or two but pretty quickly there would be 2-3 cycling drafters per pod and they'd be diluted enough that other decks could compete with them. it self-corrected a lot better than afr or mid for sure

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The various mutate things plus the reanimator parts were all a blast to make work. Ikoria ruled.

Only arena drafting I liked more was WAR, which was the modern goat imo

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best draft format on arena was Guilds of Ravnica don't @ me

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Triple innistrad all the way. Nothing else comes close.

Runner up is triple champions of kamigawa which in addition to being a good format on it's own, singlehandedly invented the concept of a "draft archetype," all thanks to Dampen Thought.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Triple Khans was an all star. I really liked Eldraine and have a bunch of sealed boxes stashed away for future drafts. New phyrexia was bonkers and fun too.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Abhorrence posted:

Triple innistrad all the way. Nothing else comes close.

Runner up is triple champions of kamigawa which in addition to being a good format on it's own, singlehandedly invented the concept of a "draft archetype," all thanks to Dampen Thought.

how quickly we forget about lashdraft in triple mirrodin...

agreed on war being the best draft format in recent times, the uncommon planeswalkers made for great gameplay and everything felt extremely powerful but beatable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
OPT is insanely dull and uninteresting, don’t @ me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

OPT is insanely dull and uninteresting, don’t @ me

I don't think a one drop scry one draw one is insanely anything, and is in fact very useful

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Arena's Midweek Magic Artisan competition (commons, uncommons, and basic lands only) is incredibly fun. But it would have been a lot more fun if the matchmaking only put you against other opponents who were doing the competition. I ended up in multiple matches against people who were playing a deck full of rares, so I'm pretty chuffed that I was able to pull out three wins in six games to get all the prizes.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Arena's Midweek Magic Artisan competition (commons, uncommons, and basic lands only) is incredibly fun. But it would have been a lot more fun if the matchmaking only put you against other opponents who were doing the competition. I ended up in multiple matches against people who were playing a deck full of rares, so I'm pretty chuffed that I was able to pull out three wins in six games to get all the prizes.

that sounds like a bug. grab a screenshot next time it happens and submit a bug report to the arena people

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

how quickly we forget about lashdraft in triple mirrodin...

agreed on war being the best draft format in recent times, the uncommon planeswalkers made for great gameplay and everything felt extremely powerful but beatable

It had a cube feel to it which was really cool and I’m not sure they could pull off again if they tried

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Merfolk went 2-2 tonight. Good poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Merfolk went 2-2 tonight. Good poo poo

Full tournament report or gtfo

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GonSmithe posted:

https://twitter.com/redneckwins/status/1463208636260524042?s=21
Something a definitely vaxxed person says when asked if they’re vaxxed

so nickachu on his stream wednesday said that this person who got covid was actually vaxxed, most likely got covid before the event started and for some dumb reason decided to say he'd rather not discuss his vaccination status for some immensely dumb reason rather than assure people at the event that he was vaccinated.

i checked back on his account, someone posted this from his twitter back in july.

https://twitter.com/RedNeckWins/status/1413153339089502209

so for some reason.. even though he had already publicly stated he was vaccinated... he now chose to _not_ disclose his vaccination status, stirring up poo poo and then getting mad when people are upset that he (implied) that he wasn't vaccinated.

just a huge shitshow all around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Vaccinated vs unvaccinated is a really huge divide in the magic community. I have friends who have totally severed from each other due to the argument of "choice". I am a little grateful that this has given people the opportunity to tell on themselves.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
otoh I don't think you need to reveal your personal health information to randos on the internet who have never interacted with you personally and are just looking to dunk

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Eej posted:

otoh I don't think you need to reveal your personal health information to randos on the internet who have never interacted with you personally and are just looking to dunk

vaccination isn't a personal health status, it's a communal health status

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

vaccination isn't a personal health status, it's a communal health status

I strongly doubt Twitter user @getlefty is part of this person's immediate community and therefore has a right to demand their vaccination status for their communal safety

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Strong Sauce posted:

so nickachu on his stream wednesday said that this person who got covid was actually vaxxed, most likely got covid before the event started and for some dumb reason decided to say he'd rather not discuss his vaccination status for some immensely dumb reason rather than assure people at the event that he was vaccinated.

i checked back on his account, someone posted this from his twitter back in july.

https://twitter.com/RedNeckWins/status/1413153339089502209

so for some reason.. even though he had already publicly stated he was vaccinated... he now chose to _not_ disclose his vaccination status, stirring up poo poo and then getting mad when people are upset that he (implied) that he wasn't vaccinated.

just a huge shitshow all around.

You missed the part where he compared his experience of people yelling at him for being cagey about being vaxxed (after he loudly proclaimed he was vaxxed) to being (Content Warning) sexually assaulted because of the way he chose to dress to someone who DM’d him

https://twitter.com/fabkilljoy64/status/1463375289581408257?s=21

And also that he may (wording is vague) have known he had COVID going into the tournament (at some point he mentioned “lawyering up” and deleted the tweet, so…)

https://twitter.com/fabkilljoy64/status/1463347097114083331?s=21

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Eej posted:

I strongly doubt Twitter user @getlefty is part of this person's immediate community and therefore has a right to demand their vaccination status for their communal safety

If you go to a big MTG event in vegas, there are hundreds of thousands who are in your community at minimum. The most restrictive definition would include everyone in vegas, everyone who went to vegas, and everyone who will see the people who went to vegas in in following 10 days. This is the kindest way to phrase how I feel on the subject of getting vaccinated from the ongoing pandemic that has killed 750,000+ Americans.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

People getting covid is going to be a normal part of human existence from now until the end of time, regardless of how many people are vaccinated. Eventually the collective internet will stop using it as an opportunity to score some sick dunk points.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Paul Zuvella posted:

People getting covid is going to be a normal part of human existence from now until the end of time, regardless of how many people are vaccinated. Eventually the collective internet will stop using it as an opportunity to score some sick dunk points.

holy poo poo are we really at the point of 'people only care about covid to score points on the internet'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo are we really at the point of 'people only care about covid to score points on the internet'

this has been happening since the beginning, tho to see someone here be that stupid is sad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh yeah i'm unfortunately aware it's not a new thing in general, i mean it more as 'this thread is usually fairly bad but this is new depths'

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Paul Zuvella posted:

Then why don't you go live in a hole with your unstoppable friends, covid 19, polio and consumption you giant doughnut...

If you want lifelong symptoms like broken dick and cardiovascular issues wooly for you, but you don't get to casually contribute to the spread of bad takes AND preventable disease and not get roasted you mouth breather JFC

flatluigi posted:

oh yeah i'm unfortunately aware it's not a new thing in general, i mean it more as 'this thread is usually fairly bad but this is new depths'

I live in a state with 50 percent vac rates and I have decided that bc loving short bus ppl like Paul can't get their poo poo together I'm not going out in public until there is a treatment, so thanks for contributing to that Paul, you unbelievably ignorant and callous gently caress face

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 25, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don’t say this lightly, but anti-vaxxers might be worse than people who play with lands in front

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Unfortunately, given that the US government and everyone with any real power in this country refuses to take this pandemic seriously because it might risk the some shareholders profit, public shaming and ostracization are the only recourse left to most of us when someone who knows (or at least highly suspects) that they are positive for Covid does something immensely stupid and dangerous like going to an event where they will be stuck in a room with thousands of people for hours at a time.

He's lucky that people dunking on him on social media is likely the harshest repercussion he'll face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Definitely lands in front energy.