Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Payndz posted:

So does Egon proving that there can be good ghosts bring any reflection from the original Busters that they might have been rear end in a top hat cops (or mercs) by unilaterally blasting and imprisoning all these supernatural entities just because someone paid them to? I mean, what harm was the ghost jogger doing? Did they shoot all the people who died on the Titanic in the face with proton streams as a way of saying "Welcome to America!"?

Dream Ghost was a good ghost.

(it does feel like in other ghostbusters stuff ghosts were just chaotic energy, and this it showed a ghost can be just a guy, but maybe egon got special ghost rules from studying ghosts so much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dream Ghost was a good ghost.

(it does feel like in other ghostbusters stuff ghosts were just chaotic energy, and this it showed a ghost can be just a guy, but maybe egon got special ghost rules from studying ghosts so much)

Yeah, I thought about that, too. Muncher, Slimer, those are almost ghost IDEAS rather than full on spiritual beings, whereas the library and jogger ghosts are just, y'know.... wanting to exist.

A sequel dealing with the two types would be interesting. The Scoleri brothers literally tried to kill the judge (as ghosts) so they had to go, but so many others aren't really a problem.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If a ghost was blowing you every night chances are you wouldn't pay the Ghostbusters $5000 to stop the fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ghost jogger was being an rear end in a top hat, making people have to jump out the way. Like those regular runner assholes in real life who get angry at people deigning to walk.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Seems like zombie cab driver was still providing a useful service.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know, he drove it into some bins. He's no Slimer the Bus Driver.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I was always under the impression that when someone died in the GB universe their ghost started out with positive energy based on how much they had when they were alive, and over time it was naturally replaced with negative energy which warped their ghosts from librarian types to Slimer/Muncher/mischievous types.

The Ghostbusters equipment only worked on ghosts with negative energy.

Did I get that from the game or did I just make that up?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

xezton posted:

I was always under the impression that when someone died in the GB universe their ghost started out with positive energy based on how much they had when they were alive, and over time it was naturally replaced with negative energy which warped their ghosts from librarian types to Slimer/Muncher/mischievous types.

The Ghostbusters equipment only worked on ghosts with negative energy.

Did I get that from the game or did I just make that up?

That is almost exactly how the knockoff Ghostbusters rpg Exorsystems describes how ghosts change over time. I

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/Uc2jXrxI1SU

I'm about to drop a bad amount of money

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I want one of these, but like, once I have it, what do I do with it?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

roffels posted:

Wear it to ghostbuster conventions, to walmarts, and around your neighborhood on halloween

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

roffels posted:

I plan to wear it when handing out candy on Halloween, and playing Ghostbusters with my nephews

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Saw it today finally. I thought that, while it did tap on the nostalgia kind of hard, it was a good movie on its own terms. I do feel like the cast had good chemistry together (the girl who played Phoebe was very impressive) and it kept the humor/scare blend at about the right proportions for Ghostbusters. It's not the greatest movie of all time, but I wasn't expecting it to be, just fun which I thought it did a great job with. Also, while the plot was simple and admittedly somewhat a re-tread of the first movie, it felt like they did a good job with the details, paying attention let you catch a lot of things that come back up. Not a lot of surprises, but that also meant things logically followed from events prior in the film.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Enjoyed the first 2/3 of the movie, the confrontation with Gozer sucked though (not only the confrontation but the big bad was also just.. there? I guess), the house trap was a cool idea but I found the whole encounter rather lame. The ghost chase in the city (Muncher?) was pretty good though.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jerkface posted:

Wear it to ghostbuster conventions, to walmarts, and around your neighborhood on halloween

Pretty sure that would get me shot or mugged in my neighborhood

8one6
May 20, 2012

I wish there was an option for one that didn't look beat to poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Australian wide release date has been pushed forwards three weeks from January 22 to January 1 but Hoyts cinemas will be holding an advance screening on December 10

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’ve wanted a proton pack since childhood but I don’t have the money to buy one for $600 so I’m spending hours of my life 3D printing one! I probably will have to shell out for the electronics though.

Anyway I thought it was kinda weird to bring back so much stuff but not Slimer. The best part of 2016, imo, was Slimer and his girlfriend.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

roffels posted:

Mount it up on your wall like a cool piece of art.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

roffels posted:

Bust ghosts. Was that a trick question? :raise:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan_Shore posted:

Ghostbusters is "a thing" because it's the best loving movie ever made ffs

It's okay.

AndyElusive posted:

Play the 2009 video game for more than an hour and then come back here and tell us how ghost busting ISN'T cool.

The game is awful so that isn't a way to convince someone that busting feels good.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This is ridiculously detailed, I'm curious if the production run is going to look this good. God drat Haslab does some work.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
My interview with NPR's "Here and Now" aired today in many markets. I'm not the best speaker in the world, but for Ghostbusters, I'll put together a coherent sentence!

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/11/25/ghostbusters-new-fans

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

The game is awful so that isn't a way to convince someone that busting feels good.
The game rules.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Xenomrph posted:

The game rules.

I would not expect someone who says Ghostbusters 1 is 'okay' to have coherent opinions, imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

The game rules.

The best part of the game is everyone came back to reprise their roles (the delivery is rough at times though) but the gameplay is just bad, but it doesn't help I ran into a glitch that prevented me from continuing so I never bothered trying to finish it up. The "remaster" is really poorly done.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I haven’t tried the remaster yet but I loved the original, the gameplay felt great and busting definitely felt good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Back when that style of game was en vogue, an Arkham City style Ghostbusters game would have whipped the llamas rear end

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

Back when that style of game was en vogue, an Arkham City style Ghostbusters game would have whipped the llamas rear end

I'd prefer an open world, Spiderman-2-esque endeavour, but instead of having web slinging, you could drive the Ecto-1.

Seriously, a Ghostbusters business sim, kind of like how the original NES/Atari/Master System version tried to be would be incredible.

Set up chapters across the city, or the country, start off with funding, but then try to make a profit by efficient busting, minimal damage (with a few missions where the ghost is maybe haunting somewhere that's set to be demolished, so destroy away!), and be able to hire staff.

Meanwhile, there's some sort of huge event looming on the horizon that you have to navigate.

Why isn't this perfect game being made?!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sigher posted:

Blasting ghosts, tangling them, slamming them all over the loving place as you destroy the environment until you wrangle them above open traps is absolutely the fuckin way to convince someone busting feels good. Infact I can't think of any other Ghostbuster game in history that's nailed how good busting can makes a person feel.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Wrangling ghosts was fun, the stasis "shot gun" and slime mechanics less so.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why isn't this perfect game being made?!

Don't stop. I'm almost there. :gizz:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

roffels posted:

Wrangling ghosts was fun, the stasis "shot gun" and slime mechanics less so.

I mean, the slime blower worked like you'd expect it to from GB2.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, the slime blower worked like you'd expect it to from GB2.

Sure, that doesn't mean I enjoyed hosing the floors of levels or found the mechanic fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

Blasting ghosts, tangling them, slamming them all over the loving place as you destroy the environment until you wrangle them above open traps is absolutely the fuckin way to convince someone busting feels good. Infact I can't think of any other Ghostbuster game in history that's nailed how good busting can makes a person feel.

The problem was that the trapping mechanic was effectively abandoned after the Hotel Sedgwick level and the game instead became Gears of War with a Ghostbusters skin on it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

weekly font posted:

I remember the first Arkham and Ghostbusters came out around the same time. It was great, two big budget games that had voice casts that made them feel like true continuations of their respective series,'. (Arkham wasn't really a continuation of Batman: TAS canonically but it felt like it because of the cast). I was in University then and had comparatively little responsibilities and spent whole days being high and playing them, good times.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't know Ghostbusters 2009 being a dope game was such a hot take in this thread.

roffels posted:

Sure, that doesn't mean I enjoyed hosing the floors of levels or found the mechanic fun.

Neither did the Ghostbusters themselves. Good thing the act of Busting Ghosts makes up for it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Timby posted:

The problem was that the trapping mechanic was effectively abandoned after the Hotel Sedgwick level and the game instead became Gears of War with a Ghostbusters skin on it.

Indeed. And why even have a tutorial instructing you to retrieve your trap? Feels like there was a mechanic that was abandoned, such as having limited traps or financial incentive to retrieve them

roffels fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 26, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

I never got to the end boss because I couldn't tether ghosts for poo poo.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8one6 posted:

I never got to the end boss because I couldn't tether ghosts for poo poo.

It's been a minute, but I don't think you ever actually needed to tether ghosts. Spray with slime, sure! Otherwise tethering seemed more important for interacting with the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

Don't stop. I'm almost there. :gizz:

HQ/vehicle/costume designer, because you have to represent your own chapter. A view from inside the containment unit.

Multiplayer.

Twinkies.