Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

That episode was incredible and Nynaeve continues to be the greatest character in the books and the show. I can't believe there's an entire week until the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

drat that was one hell of an episode, next week can’t come soon enough.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love seeing people theorising on whether Nynaeve could be the Dragon in the TVIV thread.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

liandrin had excellent casting

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

latinotwink1997 posted:

Anyway, it also seems like he’s much weaker than in the books. He’s only a step down from the Dragon in the books, so not quite the “trickle” Moiraine insinuates. Maybe he hasn’t reached his potential yet and that will come later.

He's still incredibly strong, they say that only three of the Aes Sedai with the group are powerful enough to shield him and even then they need to link to maintain it. When Moraine takes over for Liandrin it's mentioned that he's only using half his strength to push against the shield, and later he's able to break it when the Aes Sedai let their guard down for a moment.

Even though he's ranked up there with the Dragon Reborn in terms of relative strength he's still a little trickle compared to the river.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
WoT Fandom wiki has a relative strength scale of channelers, citing The Wheel of Time Companion which was published by Jordan's widow and writing assistants from Jordan's notes.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power#Scales_of_Power

According to that scale, if Rand is in the top spot, Logain is the next step down, and Nynaeve is another 7 ranks below that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC the main reason the scale exists at all is because the White Tower has that thing where they base social status off of strength in the Power, so RJ had a chart ranking every named Aes Sedai so that he could be consistent about who outranked who.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Go on... Maybe in spoilers

It's basically a markov chain of every r/incel trope you can imagine, mixed with the barest level of criticism. Cheesy fight scenes mary sue diversity feminazi changed the plot. It's not even fun-angry to read, it's just depressing and hateful.

Do you know what's not depressing and hateful? This episode! I was kinda lukewarm on the first three, but this one was great. Actually gave us a chance to settle into the world, Rand's thing with the farmer holding the string in his fist is a really nice encapsulation of the WoT worldview - people might be stressed and suspicious, but fundamentally good at heart.

And I'm absolutely loving how much they're stretching out the mystery of the Dragon Reborn. It gives viewers an actual plot to follow and get involved in, instead of it being a bunch of yokels on three separate road trips.

Edit: also holy poo poo the NO BOOK SPOILERS thread is entirely people saying "oh they're really hiding that it's Rand". Ffs people.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When Moraine takes over for Liandrin it's mentioned that he's only using half his strength to push against the shield

A note on this: Logain is pushing with all his strength; Moiraine is only feeling half of it because there are two Aes Sedai maintaining the shield.

On the Tinker Rumspringa: People have been saying that Ila may not be so horrified by Aram taking up the sword because some Tinkers take up arms while on Rumspringa. Leaving aside that it's been blatantly set up for Ila's death to be the reason why he takes the sword instead of his mother's, you need to listen more carefully to what he said. "Some farm, some set sail. Some even take up arms, I hear." So he knows that they become farmers and sailors, but has only heard that they become soldiers. The strong implication is that Tinkers who do become soldiers don't ever return to the wagons. The Tinkers may accept a former assassin who has renounced violence for the Way of the Leaf, but that doesn't mean they would be accepting of someone who renounced the Way for violence.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

liandrin had excellent casting

Yea every scene she's in has ruled for me.

@jng keep up the effort posts, I love the "What's changed from the book" bits especially because there's SO MUCH I don't remember

I also nearly poo poo a brick with Mat holding the dagger out. I'm obviously not so attached to the books and even I was like, Rafe what the poo poo is this?? And the Birgitte doll made me really happy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

On the Tinker Rumspringa: People have been saying that Ila may not be so horrified by Aram taking up the sword because some Tinkers take up arms while on Rumspringa. Leaving aside that it's been blatantly set up for Ila's death to be the reason why he takes the sword instead of his mother's, you need to listen more carefully to what he said. "Some farm, some set sail. Some even take up arms, I hear." So he knows that they become farmers and sailors, but has only heard that they become soldiers. The strong implication is that Tinkers who do become soldiers don't ever return to the wagons. The Tinkers may accept a former assassin who has renounced violence for the Way of the Leaf, but that doesn't mean they would be accepting of someone who renounced the Way for violence.

The way I understood that was that some are questioning and need to experience violence to affirm their beliefs in anti-violence so it's something that the Tinkers are understanding of but don't really like talking about

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As good as this episode was, I've seen reviewers and critics who got a 6 episode chunk to watch and review say episode 6 was their favorite.

Sanderson said 106 is his favorite. It gets even better :toot:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My nitpick for this episode is that for now, all the Saidin users show madness on the same, just 'hearing voices'. Not only future Rand, but also Logain and the first guy on Ep 1. I understand the importance of having a precedent for Rand, but it's almost all male channelers have the same type of madness, there should be more variety.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's a sub full of over the top CHUD incels who are upset at the "wokeness" in the show (woke= diversity, female Dragons, strong female characters which totally isn't a thing in the books right? Oh and the offhand comment Dana made to suggest Mat and Rand were a couple. So woke) and also that it isn't perfectly adapting the books beat by beat. It's about what you expect to see from that side of the aisle on an adaptation like this.

Also they named the sub whitecloaks because of course they did.

I've never visited it, but lol, as you say, the fact they named the subreddit whitecloaks, from all possible terms, organizations and references in WoT, say a lot...

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Turin Turambar posted:

I've never visited it, but lol, as you say, the fact they named the subreddit whitecloaks, from all possible terms, organizations and references in WoT, say a lot...

I would expect nothing less

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Turin Turambar posted:

My nitpick for this episode is that for now, all the Saidin users show madness on the same, just 'hearing voices'. Not only future Rand, but also Logain and the first guy on Ep 1. I understand the importance of having a precedent for Rand, but it's almost all male channelers have the same type of madness, there should be more variety.

Although Cadsuane asking Rand if he is hearing voices yet makes this fair game as a common symptom I would say

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the battle was very tv show, but eh, it is a tv show

the billion arrows flying over a forest was extra silly

the mirror armor on the king was cool, those are shown quite rarely

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's basically a markov chain of every r/incel trope you can imagine, mixed with the barest level of criticism. Cheesy fight scenes mary sue diversity feminazi changed the plot. It's not even fun-angry to read, it's just depressing and hateful.

Do you know what's not depressing and hateful? This episode! I was kinda lukewarm on the first three, but this one was great. Actually gave us a chance to settle into the world, Rand's thing with the farmer holding the string in his fist is a really nice encapsulation of the WoT worldview - people might be stressed and suspicious, but fundamentally good at heart.

And I'm absolutely loving how much they're stretching out the mystery of the Dragon Reborn. It gives viewers an actual plot to follow and get involved in, instead of it being a bunch of yokels on three separate road trips.

Edit: also holy poo poo the NO BOOK SPOILERS thread is entirely people saying "oh they're really hiding that it's Rand". Ffs people.

Reddit really is the Saidin of the Internet.

I feel like the actor who plays Liandrin would also have been a great Elaida and it makes me wonder who they're going to cast for it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 26, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

Reddit really is the Saidin of the Internet

Does this make 4chan the True Power? :thunkher:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rarity posted:

wouldn't that be sa

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

checks out to me.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hellbore posted:

WoT Fandom wiki has a relative strength scale of channelers, citing The Wheel of Time Companion which was published by Jordan's widow and writing assistants from Jordan's notes.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power#Scales_of_Power

According to that scale, if Rand is in the top spot, Logain is the next step down, and Nynaeve is another 7 ranks below that.

One other possibility is that Logain hasn't yet reached his full potential either. In books, we know that men grow in the power by sudden jumps, possibly through adversity. Logain may be weaker now than he ends up in the end after being healed, and going through all the trials and tribulations around the Black Tower.

Also it doesn't matter. gently caress the whole "men are typically stronger" bs. Nynaeve is badass.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

wouldn't that be sa

no we're saidar.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gully Foyle posted:

One other possibility is that Logain hasn't yet reached his full potential either. In books, we know that men grow in the power by sudden jumps, possibly through adversity. Logain may be weaker now than he ends up in the end after being healed, and going through all the trials and tribulations around the Black Tower.

Also it doesn't matter. gently caress the whole "men are typically stronger" bs. Nynaeve is badass.

Yeah, it's also possible that they've just done away with the "men are typically stronger" thing and done it by bumping women up the scale a few notches. Which is also fine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Turin Turambar posted:

It's not quite the same. Unnamed Dude in episode 1 was full on hallucinating a companion, whereas Logain had what he thought were voices of his past selves formed from saidin whispering in his ear.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
At Gathering Storm again.

Christ Egwene's outrage over Asha'man bonding Aes Sedai is just the worst.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

It's not quite the same. Unnamed Dude in episode 1 was full on hallucinating a companion, whereas Logain had what he thought were voices of his past selves formed from saidin whispering in his ear.

I could definitely see the former being a more progressed version of the latter though. Likely Logain's just not as mad yet as he could be

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Episode Four Thoughts

And we're back! Fortunately for me, my family Thanksgiving is a lunch affair, so I was home in time to watch the show as soon as it dropped. I did miss most of the Bears game, but even though the Bears finally won for the first time in over a month, I'm much happier having missed that and been able to see this than the other way around. So let's go over it!

What happened?

This episode has, by far, the most new show-only material in it of the four episodes we've seen so far. This episode covers events from chapters 25, 26, and 31 of Eye of the World, with Thom, Mat, and Rand spending the night at the Griswell farm, Thom relating the story of his nephew who could channel Owyn as well as the lad's ultimate fate, and Thom sacrificing himself to hold off a Fade so Mat and Rand can escape it. Perrin and Egwene spend time with the Tinkers, with Egwene becoming close to Aram. And finally in the brand new sequence, Lan, Moiraine, and Nynaeve join up with the team of Aes Sedai (four Green and four Red) who have captured Logain Ablar, a man who can channel and who has declared himself the Dragon Reborn.

What was changed or added?

Nearly everything? Okay, let's break it down chronologically by plotline again.

Perrin and Egwene's travels with the Tinkers is the closest to book accurate, save for the story of Aram's dead mother, here murdered by bandits when Aram was a baby. In the book, Aram's mother is still alive and only dies in chapter 45 of The Shadow Rising. Her death at the hands of Trollocs spurs Aram to turn his back on the Way of the Leaf.

Aram's revelation that when a Tinker turns 20, he or she leaves the wagons to experience the outside world for awhile is new. The fact that Aram mentions that some of these wanderers even take up arms suggests that in the show, the Tinkers may not be as likely to disown Aram when he takes up the sword in The Shadow Rising, but that remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, over with Mat, Rand, and Thom, Thom being with the boys at the Griswell farm is new. In the book, Thom had already disappeared, and the boys successfully used the Gleeman skills Thom had taught them while on the boat journey to Whitebridge to earn a place to stay for the night and a meal.

Mat never receives a Birgitte doll in the book, though confirmation that Birgitte is at least still a legendary character in the show is nice.

In the book, Thom believes Rand to be the one showing signs of channeling, not Mat, and in the book he is totally correct.

Rand's dream, like all the dreams in the show so far, is new in regards to the details, though Ba'alzamon definitely is harassing Rand, Mat, and Perrin with nightmares throughout the book.

The deaths of the Griswells at the hands of the Fade (presumably the one called last episode by Dana) is new. Mat detecting the Fade (with the dagger?) is new. In the book, Thom makes his stand against the Fade on a street in Whitebridge, and his scream of agony as the boys flee convinces them that the Fade has killed him.

Everything in the Moiraine/Lan/Nynaeve plotline is brand new. In the book Logain never comes close to escaping, Liandrin and Alanna aren't involved, and Karene Nagashi definitely isn't involved, since in the books she had been killed in chapter 17 of the prequel book New Spring nearly twenty years before the events of the main novels!

In the book, Logain is captured in a major battle near Lugard in Murandy in which Aes Sedai are killed capturing him. He is taken in a wheeled cage through Camelyn, where Rand sees him, then taken to the White Tower and gentled there.

Nynaeve's backstory here is new, and slightly contradictory with the version of it we heard in episode one. In the episode one version, Moiraine believes Nynaeve had been brought to the Two Rivers by "the old Wisdom" (presumably still Doral Barran, though she remains unnamed in the series) "as a baby" which makes it unlikely that Nynaeve could have remembered the Old Tongue phrase spoken by her parents. Of course it could simply be that Moiraine was told an incorrect version of the story and Nynaeve wasn't of a mind to correct the mistake when they had the talk in the sacred pools.

In the book, Logain's army had been dispersed in the battle in which he was captured by the Aes Sedai and do not attempt to free him on the road to Tar Valon.

Nynaeve definitely doesn't do a healing nova in the book as her first channeling experience, and certainly not to save the lives of Lan and the others.

What got dropped entirely?

This category is harder fill in given the vast changes made in the various plotlines, but...

The absence of Elyas, who provides counter-arguments against the Way of the Leaf in the book, is a definite omission.

Missing from the slaughter at the Griswell farm is fan favorite, boy-crazy Novice Aes Sedai Else Griswell. In the book she becomes enamored with Rand and eventually leaves home to apply to the White Tower where she starts Novice training, but ultimately flunks out for spending too much time chasing boys and Warders and not enough time actually studying. (The dead little girl is Helga Griswell, not Else.)

As before, a number of other farm and village encounters (both with and without bonus Darkfriends) have been omitted.

In the book in which she appears, New Spring, Karene has two Warders, Stepin and Karlie, but only Stepin made it into the show.

So what did you like?

Again, almost everything, but especially the new material with Nynaeve, Lan, and Moiraine, including the amazing ending of the episode where Nynaeve shows why she's the one who's needed to back up Rand in cleansing the Source eight books and who knows how many seasons from now.

The glimpses into Aes Sedai politics, friendships, and rivalries are great.

In particular, the bit between Stepin and Lan where Stepin says the Amyrlin is pissed at Moiraine is particularly enjoyable as a book reader because we know from The Great Hunt that Siuan is putting on a show of displeasure to conceal the fact that Moiraine is essentially her personal agent looking for the Dragon Reborn.

The Warders and Nynaeve just chilling by the campfire was a great scene, as were Lan and Moiraine together and Karene and Stepin together. And Green/Warder threesomes are GO! :dance:

Thom misreading Mat's dagger-sickness as the signs of an emergent channeler combined with Nynaeve going all "raging sun" with her first channeling is such a smart way to obfuscate Rand being the Dragon Reborn. The clues that it is Rand (the broken ironwood door, the possibly ta'veran effect on Farmer Griswell, etc) seem to be fairly subtle so far. I'll check in with my non-book reader friend and see if he's still on Team Mat for Dragon Reborn, of course.

As I mentioned above, I was really impressed by Nynaeve's display of raw power, especially compared to the relatively subdued weaves of Logain and the Aes Sedai.

Thom advising Rand to keep Mat as far away from the Aes Sedai as possible when that is actually Mat's only hope mirrors Thom advising Rand, Mat, and Perrin against sharing their dreams with Moiraine in the book, especially since Moiraine (or another Aes Sedai) would be their best defense against the nightmares. Nice parallels!

Okay, hotshot, what didn't you like?

That the episode was only an hour long? That it's another week until the next episode? Honestly, I can't think of anything that really bothered me about this episode. Maybe I'll spot something on a rewatch, or maybe I'm just too full of turkey and tryptophan to analyze properly, but for right now? Loved it!

Anything else?

Happy Thanksgiving if that's a thing you celebrate. Happy Wheel of Time Thursday if you don't!

I really liked this post, but the best part was how you

consistently misspelled "Grinwell" as "Griswell". Someone watched "Christmas at the Griswolds" too often, I'm guessing and the memories mixed. :v:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Episode ruled.

Have they mentioned the Forsaken at all yet? I know they name dropped Ishamael in episode 3, but they provided no context for who or what he is. By this point in the books they've probably said the line, "The Dark One and all the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul..." like 10 times.

They show us a Birgitte doll, but no mention of the Horn or it's Hero's yet.

Kinda feel like they've been missing out on showing us that the Emond's Fielders were ignorant or skeptical of all the legends and stories. Like they didn't even know that Trollocs and Fades were real, or Aes Sedai. And the Horn and Forsaken haven't been mentioned yet.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So regarding Mat and the dagger: I really think it's a smart move to go from the dagger just making Mat paranoid and catty to actually having it sort of posses him and make him vomit up Mashadar. Since Mordeith wasn't in Shadar Logoth to piggyback on Mat and escape (well, we kinda sorta saw his shadow but that was it), it's a really great way to do the Padan Fain/Mordeith blend later. It's already setting up the possession back and forth they go through, and sets it up for Mordeith to be able to just generate Mashadar later in the series. I'm actually really impressed with all the changes they've made so far, but that one was a stand out to me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
After sleeping the episode still ruled. I'm gonna watch it again. Nynaeve rules.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It also sets it up in the future, when they wall off the corruption in Matt but they can't heal him. It makes it seem like there's an actual physical corruption in him to seal. Also in the dagger gets stolen and they go to find it, it also gives a physical visual clue when that healing that they did breaks down a little bit

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, it's also possible that they've just done away with the "men are typically stronger" thing and done it by bumping women up the scale a few notches. Which is also fine.

If they do that and don't also change the "men can't link without a woman" thing then men are just worse at channeling.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Men can sense a woman's channeling/holding the source and women cannot.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Are these people even watching the same show :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/kod_podcast/status/1464249171439980549

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel bad, I accidentally spoiled for my friend that Nynaeve is not a candidate to be TDR last week.

I mean an astute watcher would've picked up on that from Moiraine's conversation with her in the first episode, but that was definitely easy to miss.

Looking forward to rewatching it on a real screen tomorrow and not my low-res, awful viewing angles budget laptop

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RC Cola posted:

After sleeping the episode still ruled. I'm gonna watch it again. Nynaeve rules.

I've rewatched it 3x already. Don't forget everybody the official aftershow is at 2pm EST today here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vSuo6EDa_M

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

No, they aren't.

quote:

When the Lion had first begun singing, long ago when it was still quite dark, he had realized that the noise was a song. And he had disliked the song very much. It made him think and feel things he did not want to think and feel. Then, when the sun rose and he saw that the singer was a lion (”only a lion,” as he said to himself) he tried his hardest to make believe that it wasn’t singing and never had been singing – only roaring as any lion might in a zoo in our own world. “Of course it can’t really have been singing,” he thought, “I must have imagined it. I’ve been letting my nerves get out of order. Who ever heard of a lion singing?” And the longer and more beautiful the Lion sang, the harder Uncle Andrew tried to make himself believe that he could hear nothing but roaring.

Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. Uncle Andrew did. He soon did hear nothing but roaring in Aslan’s song. Soon he couldn’t have heard anything else even if he had wanted to. And when at last the Lion spoke and said, “Narnia awake,” he didn’t hear any words: he heard only a snarl. And when the Beasts spoke in answer, he heard only barkings, growlings, bayings, and howlings. And when they laughed – well, you can imagine. That was worse for Uncle Andrew than anything that had happened yet. Such a horrid, bloodthirsty din of hungry and angry brutes he had never heard in his life. Then, to his utter rage and horror, he saw the other three humans actually walking out into the open to meet the animals….

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sab669 posted:

I feel bad, I accidentally spoiled for my friend that Nynaeve is not a candidate to be TDR last week.

I mean an astute watcher would've picked up on that from Moiraine's conversation with her in the first episode, but that was definitely easy to miss.

They specifically said no one knows how old Nynaeve really is so yeah she's had her braid a while but you can just about fudge it that she looks a few years old for her age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that too, one could just say "Well maybe she was wrong"

I texted asking if he thought it was [character + description of each character] because I figured he might not have caught everyone's names / known how to spell it. And then he was like "But the Darkfriend said 5"