Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hexel posted:

Are these people even watching the same show :psyduck:

My man is making some unilateral decisions on behalf of his cohost: "I've now seen ep 4 and am doubling down on my dislike. In other news, my co-host Ben thinks it is amazing but he must still be drunk from Thanksgiving."

I think this dude is probably being genuine but I have seen a few clickbait YouTube channels that are hoping to cash in on the backlash. I opened up "IS THIS EVEN WHEEL OF TIME ANYMORE?!" out of morbid curiosity and to save anyone from giving him clicks, apparently he has only read the first book and all the comments are dragging him for it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Really loved the new episode. There's not a lot from the books in the new episode. I mean they included the Tinkerers but otherwise it was all kind of brand new stuff. It was really good though. Surprised how far from the books they've deviated.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Man I unironically hope Hyam Kinch is in the next episode twice. It wasn't well executed in the books but the idea was very good. they could. make it a real mind gently caress in the show. stuff like that, the nightmare village with the flies in TGH, the playing cards in TDR, basically all of TSR, and later on in the series with ghost villages sinking into the muck and such really give a nice weird horror texture to the series.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I love that so many people are getting into the wheel of time. I am not enjoying realizing that incels and chuds are going to get into it and ruin everything by being incels and chuds

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

I love that so many people are getting into the wheel of time. I am not enjoying realizing that incels and chuds are going to get into it and ruin everything by being incels and chuds

They were always there. Before the show though they had plausible deniability.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I am getting the sense that the entire black tower is going to be expanded on. Books 6-13 there is lots of room for drama and intrigue.

Same vein, white tower/salidar will play well with tv intrigue imo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They were always there. Before the show though they had plausible deniability.

I guess it'll be fun to just drunk on them all the time when they share bad takes

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sab669 posted:

@jng keep up the effort posts, I love the "What's changed from the book" bits especially because there's SO MUCH I don't remember

Hey, thanks. I will, since I find writing it out like that helps me clarify my thoughts, but it's great to know it's appreciated.

Libluini posted:

I really liked this post, but the best part was how you

consistently misspelled "Grinwell" as "Griswell". Someone watched "Christmas at the Griswolds" too often, I'm guessing and the memories mixed. :v:

Goddammit. :doh:

You're not wrong, either. It had even come up at Thanksgiving dinner and I spent some time describing the Vacation movies to my nieces over turkey. I'd like to think that if they'd actually said the family name in the episode I would have caught that. Oh well, at least someone found it amusing, so it isn't a total loss.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Yea that too, one could just say "Well maybe she was wrong"

She could be, I mean the whole backstory she got from the previous Wisdom who taught her seems like a very Knitting Circle type of story to tell for someone who was put out of the Tower.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Man I unironically hope Hyam Kinch is in the next episode twice. It wasn't well executed in the books but the idea was very good. they could. make it a real mind gently caress in the show. stuff like that, the nightmare village with the flies in TGH, the playing cards in TDR, basically all of TSR, and later on in the series with ghost villages sinking into the muck and such really give a nice weird horror texture to the series.

Please stand by for a copy of the Hyam Kinch Appreciators double gang tag

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm more than happy to implement a WoT gang tag if we get an approximate consensus on a good one

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

shadow puppet of a posted:

Sadly I think the decree is 3 gang tags total, so if we get a really good tag in this thread I'm going to have to get rid of one of mine.

e: ^^^

Roof of the Winespring Brothers

1) it's the thing Rand made up so he wouldn't have to sleep in a building retroactively declared the Maidens roof in that one town outside Cairhien
2) it's about people who have been there since the very beginning
3) (also, Far Snows, heh)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 26, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Sadly I think the decree is 3 gang tags total, so if we get a really good tag in this thread I'm going to have to get rid of one of mine.

e: ^^^

Roof of the Winespring Brothers

1) it's the thing Rand made up so he wouldn't have to sleep in a building retroactively declared the Maidens roof in that one town outside Cairhien
2) it's about people who have been there since the very beginning
3) (also, Far Snows, heh)

poo poo I guess I'd have to trade out tough cute maybe

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RC Cola posted:

I am getting the sense that the entire black tower is going to be expanded on. Books 6-13 there is lots of room for drama and intrigue.

I'm down for anything that gives us more than one Logain scene a season

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm more than happy to implement a WoT gang tag if we get an approximate consensus on a good one

Badger Easers, accept no substitutes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We might want to make a tag that could be shared with show fans. Otoh I generally like book barn gang tags to link back to the relevant thread so that they serve a purpose.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

Badger Easers, accept no substitutes

Also idk if anyone pointed this out in the thread but I just saw a YouTube comment mentioning Mat has a bloody red hand in the dream sequence... can't be an accident, right?

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 26, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Easy Badgers?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i would like Eased Badgers better I think. i would be happy if my current gang tag was gone

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
We can give it a few days for suggestions to roll in I think

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Or, we start with the top part of this gif as the background and figure out what the text should be.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'm almost done with The Great Hunt. Its been really good so far. It'll be interesting how the show potrays the Seachan considering next season is suppose to be book 2. They've already really diverged from the book a great deal but I home they keep the Seachan in it. They're really interesting.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Marcus Rutherford's already confirmed in an interview that the Seanchan are in

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hellbore posted:

WoT Fandom wiki has a relative strength scale of channelers, citing The Wheel of Time Companion which was published by Jordan's widow and writing assistants from Jordan's notes.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power#Scales_of_Power

According to that scale, if Rand is in the top spot, Logain is the next step down, and Nynaeve is another 7 ranks below that.

Of all the book things they might change for whatever reasons, I gotta say the POWER RANKINGS chart is one I do not loving care about lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Braid Nation
Logang
Gentled Men

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skyl3lazer posted:

Of all the book things they might change for whatever reasons, I gotta say the POWER RANKINGS chart is one I do not loving care about lol

The only power ranking I care about is them writing Alivia out of the series cause gently caress off is anyone better than Nynaeve

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They've changed some things but there is absolutely no way they cut Seanchan. The effects of that would be beyond gargantuan.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the power ranking poo poo basically literally only exists for jordan's notes so he knows how to write out the insane aes sedai power structures in terms of deference, anyways

it has no practical relevance to the rest of the series

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nihilarian posted:

They've changed some things but there is absolutely no way they cut Seanchan. The effects of that would be beyond gargantuan.

God I hate the seanchan so much though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

God I hate the seanchan so much though.

Yea, they're not my favorite group.

But if they all come in sounding like texans i'll be stoked.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

A couple things from episode 4 that I haven't seen discussed yet:

- They changed Leane's Ajah! She's blue in the books. But there's a nice line where Moiraine says "you could have been blue" in a nod to the book readers. Presumably they are dropping the plotline where she changes Ajahs after her stilling is healed. (spoilered since there was a first-time book reader a couple pages back.)

- I might have missed something, but I was expecting to see some warders to go into an incurable killing frenzy after the Green that was guarding Logaine was killed. Did this happen and I just missed it?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm real curious how/if they do the larger "regional accents" since so many of the characters already just have their real-world accents going on.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

if they're changing the strength in the power thing beween men/women, i wonder if they're also gonna have men linking. that'd be cool to see

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VikingofRock posted:

A couple things from episode 4 that I haven't seen discussed yet:

- They changed Leane's Ajah! She's blue in the books. But there's a nice line where Moiraine says "you could have been blue" in a nod to the book readers. Presumably they are dropping the plotline where she changes Ajahs after her stilling is healed. (spoilered since there was a first-time book reader a couple pages back.)

- I might have missed something, but I was expecting to see some warders to go into an incurable killing frenzy after the Green that was guarding Logaine was killed. Did this happen and I just missed it?

1. That was Alanna Mosvani

2. They did, dude jumped axe first at Logain and got wrecked

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i sheathed my sword at dumai's wells and all i got was this gang tag

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Her warder was Stepin, the guy with two axes, who immediately charged in to the cave and tried to kill Logain.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

anyway i really thought logain stole the show in this episode tbh, they chose the perfect actor for him and i really like the direction they took his character. i really can't wait to see more of him down the line

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SerSpook posted:

anyway i really thought logain stole the show in this episode tbh, they chose the perfect actor for him and i really like the direction they took his character. i really can't wait to see more of him down the line

He's legit the most famous actor in the entire series thus far. I'm pleased and not surprised he's chewing scenery in every scene he's in, even when he's not talking at all!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Even if it's supposedly true to Jordan's vision, if they present this foreign invading army of Japanese bug armor wearing, army of monsters and enslaved channelers and give them Texan accents, the tonal whiplash would be insane.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Even if it's supposedly true to Jordan's vision, if they present this foreign invading army of Japanese bug armor wearing, army of monsters and enslaved channelers and give them Texan accents, the tonal whiplash would be insane.

they absolutely cannot do the seanchan dirty

nor can they forget the pterodactyl mounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SerSpook posted:

they absolutely cannot do the seanchan dirty

nor can they forget the pterodactyl mounts

They're wyverns.