Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It's great that Daly's Place has become an iconic pro wrestling venue in the span of a year or so. I always like the home turf arena stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

As far as I'm aware, Daily's has more 5+ star matches than any other American venue, making it the best candidate for American Korakuen.

I think the Nippon Budokan has the most 5+ star matches in Japan though. Dally's Place is probably more close to that given the size and the strong association with a single promotion.

I think an 'American Korakuen' is pretty much impossible because the whole appeal of Korakuen is that you can rock up there on pretty much any given day of the year and you've got a better than 50/50 chance of getting to see a pro wrestling show and two of it's a weekend, and everyone from NJPW to FREEDOMS to SEAdLINNNG runs there so it's the home of Japanese pro wrestling as a whole rather than any specific promotion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe one day, people will also learn how to spell Daily's Place, but that day seems far off from here

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Daisy's Plaza?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/NoahMasin/status/1463840099397865473?t=MfqY0vF1m2xEPl40yb4Pvw&s=19

ECW noted for its political neutrality and never calling out WWF or WCW.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Alaois posted:

Maybe one day, people will also learn how to spell Daily's Place, but that day seems far off from here

its because people are mixing it up with Cow Place in Daily City

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahMasin/status/1463840099397865473?t=MfqY0vF1m2xEPl40yb4Pvw&s=19

taz would never call out the champion of other companies

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like to believe that there's a bunch of people who only know of ECW through heavily edited WWE documentaries and Network episodes. And in those no one ever cursed, music was all stock, everyone lived a nuclear family lifestyle, Chris Benoit never existed, and Shane Douglas just said nice things about Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

1glitch0 posted:

It's great that Daly's Place has become an iconic pro wrestling venue in the span of a year or so. I always like the home turf arena stuff.

They call it the American Koruaken.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The problem with the Lucha Brothers is that they're too good and impressive. I'd prefer it if they were less interesting.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the Nippon Budokan has the most 5+ star matches in Japan though. Dally's Place is probably more close to that given the size and the strong association with a single promotion.

Look I didn't want to admit this but I have a spreadsheet with every five star match and its venue, and Korakuen just edges out the Budokan 25 to 24.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think an 'American Korakuen' is pretty much impossible because the whole appeal of Korakuen is that you can rock up there on pretty much any given day of the year and you've got a better than 50/50 chance of getting to see a pro wrestling show and two of it's a weekend, and everyone from NJPW to FREEDOMS to SEAdLINNNG runs there so it's the home of Japanese pro wrestling as a whole rather than any specific promotion.

The other thing is that it's literally across the street from the Tokyo Dome, which affects the schedules of promotions that run both. So to really have the equivalent function of Korakuen you'd have to put a wrestling ring in Moynihan Hall across from MSG or something.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Yes one (admittedly very good) semi-shoot rant five years ago which lead to nothing for either person involved puts Miz ahead.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Yes one (admittedly very good) semi-shoot rant five years ago which lead to nothing for either person involved puts Miz ahead.

all that Miz worked-shoot proved was that there's an excellent promo guy buried somewhere in the rubble of miserable WWE scripts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And the Miz promo wasn't even on a wrestling show lmao

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I liked that time he yelled at Enzo and called him a loving idiot, while also singing the praises of PAC.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I liked that time he yelled at Enzo and called him a loving idiot, while also singing the praises of PAC.

Probably the last WWE segment I liked. Unless Joe absolutely maiming Roman on the mic after Roman lost to Brock again came afterwards, then it's that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bryan calling out Vince for being an exploitative capitalist boomer was after both of those

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lid posted:

AEW hasn't done anything close to heel Cactus Jack wearing airbrushed shirts featuring WCW wrestlers and telling Tommy Dreamer to go to the loving embrace of Uncle Eric.

I'm not sure you even COULD do something like that now without getting sued.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1463531013846573063?t=qUXZl0ZbRt812OyaAmDXvg&s=19

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Zombie Lemur posted:

AEW hasn't done anything close to heel Cactus Jack wearing airbrushed shirts featuring WCW wrestlers and telling Tommy Dreamer to go to the loving embrace of Uncle Eric.

Imagine Cody winning the NWA title from Nick Aldis, giving this big speech about the importance of the title to his family, naming off all the legends that held the title, before tossing it to the ground like garbage and yelling in Billy Corgan's general direction that he's not going to save Billy's dead promotion.

Right after that he picks up the TNT title and puts it over.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Why are all the modern WWE belts so hideously ugly? They all look exactly the same except for the colors and the colors are all bad and all the gold looks completely fake. They look like toys.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Zombie Lemur posted:

They DID get sued when Cactus spat on the WCW tag belt.

Elephant Ambush posted:

They look like toys.

There's your answer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OMS would smoke Taker in a dancing contest. Even money on the poker contest tho.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That Miz promo was dogshit lmao. 'Yeah, I may never have a great match or be an all timer like you, but I can still have totally pointless and boring matches every week because I don't do anthing exciting! Take that, I suck!'

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
You know who else does superbasic things and is never in any danger week to week apart from times they kind of go nuts for a giant spot that everyone will remember? loving Okada.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why are all the modern WWE belts so hideously ugly? They all look exactly the same except for the colors and the colors are all bad and all the gold looks completely fake. They look like toys.

Branding. Once WWE noticed sports stars buying replicas of the Big Gold Belt, they realized they could capitalize on it by sending free ones to the winners. But to make sure EVERYONE knew it was a WWE belt, they turned their main titles into a giant logo. That way, whenever someone saw the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc champions wearing those belts, those same viewers would associate WWE with them and think "WWE ARE WINNERS!"*

*No one ever watching said sports program ever saw the giant WWE logo and thought "WWE ARE WINNERS!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

The other thing is that it's literally across the street from the Tokyo Dome, which affects the schedules of promotions that run both. So to really have the equivalent function of Korakuen you'd have to put a wrestling ring in Moynihan Hall across from MSG or something.

Budokan is like a fifteen minute walk too. The whole Japanese wrestling scene being centred in Tokyo is part of what makes Korakuen what it is. You won't see a big American promotion run the same town as often as they did in 2020 unless we get hosed up by another pandemic (or get hosed up by this one again)

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Renaissance Spam posted:

They DID get sued when Cactus spat on the WCW tag belt.

Haha, forgot about that one.

Prior to AEW I would've said we wouldn't see that sort of talent exchange happen with a major US company again either.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Budokan is like a fifteen minute walk too. The whole Japanese wrestling scene being centred in Tokyo is part of what makes Korakuen what it is. You won't see a big American promotion run the same town as often as they did in 2020 unless we get hosed up by another pandemic (or get hosed up by this one again)

Although to be fair there were points of this ear where New Japan absolutely killed interest in themselves with constant Korakuen shows. Such as the Road To new Beginning / Road To Castle Attack period in January and February where they ran Korakuen 13 times in a one month period.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

In a hypothetical Japan tour I would absolutely expect AEW to run Korakuen just so Tony could say they did.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Main show at Budokan, Dark featuring local talent at Korakuen

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pylons posted:

In a hypothetical Japan tour I would absolutely expect AEW to run Korakuen just so Tony could say they did.

Dynamite in Sumo Hall, Rampage in Korakuen

If they do run Sumo Hall, someone has to beg Tony to leave the box seats and not replace them all with pipe chairs like Vince does when he runs there tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If they do run Sumo Hall, someone has to beg Tony to leave the box seats and not replace them all with pipe chairs like Vince does when he runs there tho

Dark at the dentist office

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Dark at the dentist office

Daniel Garcia vs Chie. Book it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I really like the sumo style seating because you can chill with your friends and eat snacks together while big hoss dudes get yelled at by tiny old men.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

That Miz promo was dogshit lmao. 'Yeah, I may never have a great match or be an all timer like you, but I can still have totally pointless and boring matches every week because I don't do anthing exciting! Take that, I suck!'

It was a super passionate way to admit he sucks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC the whole thing started because Danielson called Miz's wrestling "soft" and Miz teed off on him. It sounded kinda rehearsed but there was genuine fire behind it. I kinda remember feeling Miz stood up for himself at a time when WWE was really stamping out independent thought in their ranks. I remember it being absolutely laced with WWE NewSpeak while Rene and Danielson look aghast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even though it's nowhere near as memorable as Korakuen I kinda of miss the Differ Ariake and wish it was still around in some form