Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Manatee Cannon posted:

main: I don't think electro being the traitor would be any better. people just think that way because it was a big fan theory for a while so it's in their heads already. this makes more sense than that to me, especially at this point in the story tbh.
the big problem with invisible girl being the traitor is the ludicrously bad pacing of this whole plot thread. I'd literally forgotten about it until reading this chapter and it felt like horikoshi did too. it doesn't feel like satisfying set up and pay off

I agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

main: I agree that they waited way too long to reveal the traitor. Like, if the idea is that All For One is the only person who knows the traitor and so they weren't going to do anything suspicious as long as he was in jail and couldn't give orders, it makes sense, but you probably should have found a way to reveal that information to us earlier. Like, maybe a chapter shortly after they move to the dorms that shows Hagakure feeling a great sense of relief now that Al For One is in jail and can't make her hurt her friends anymore or something. Or maybe have the traitor make her move as soon as AfO broke out of jail or during the Deku retrieval arc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manatee Cannon posted:

main: I don't think electro being the traitor would be any better. people just think that way because it was a big fan theory for a while so it's in their heads already. this makes more sense than that to me, especially at this point in the story tbh.
the big problem with invisible girl being the traitor is the ludicrously bad pacing of this whole plot thread. I'd literally forgotten about it until reading this chapter and it felt like horikoshi did too. it doesn't feel like satisfying set up and pay off

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this way

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel bad for Caleb Cook, he seems like a decent fellow and doesn't deserve how Twitter treated him or the trainwreck MHA is now

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It feels like people here have started turning on the manga since the Star Fight

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m reserving final judgment until this is all said and done. It’s clear that the road map got thrown out a while back so I’m curious to see how Horikoshi is gonna finish this thing off. He’s done a pretty solid job writing the last two arcs, it’s just that the overarching plot is lost right now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Most of these complaints have been building for some time, the Star fight is just kind of clumsy, seat-of-your pants storytelling so it's harder for people to muster the effort to defend the story from criticism.

Everything after the hospital battle has felt rushed, even if I do think it's had some strong high moments throughout.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I stuck with Naruto and Bleach until the end

This is nothing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Main: People aren't saying it should be Kaminari just to fulfill some theory or whatever, but because he's actually had at least a tiny bit of focus and at least one potentially interesting character dynamic. Though my feeling is now that Hagakure lacks those things because she was meant to be the traitor, so Kaminari wouldn't have gotten those scenes in the first place if it was meant to be him, making the whole thing moot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's going to be a fakeout.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

SgtSteel91 posted:

It feels like people here have started turning on the manga since the Star Fight

the Nagant fight was way stupider

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

christmas boots posted:

This is nothing

but naruto....was good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's going to be a fakeout.

This is entirely possible though, the fact that the translation specifically avoids saying "is it really her?" but instead goes "is it really h...?" makes me suspect it might be, but I'm still operating off the current assumption it's her

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is just Aoyama staring menacingly through a window again. I think that chapter even ended the same with an "Is it really Aoyama?" narration.

Anyway, good Vigilantes chapter, I was beginning to think this fight had been going on a little too long but sounds like we're at the finishing stretch and I thought the dogfight was pretty rad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aurora posted:

but naruto....was good

Even during the war arc, Aurora? Even during the war arc?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Arist posted:

This is entirely possible though, the fact that the translation specifically avoids saying "is it really her?" but instead goes "is it really h...?" makes me suspect it might be, but I'm still operating off the current assumption it's her

original flavor manga: Is it really h...atsume Mei?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Even during the war arc, Aurora? Even during the war arc?

*excising large chunks of nothing happening in my brain*

Yes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Flesnolk posted:

I feel bad for Caleb Cook, he seems like a decent fellow and doesn't deserve how Twitter treated him or the trainwreck MHA is now

I blame twitter for all of this. The manga was good when we had Caleb Cook posting those cool translation posts after every chapter, and once he was stupidly harassed off of twitter the manga stopped being good. Coincidence? I think not. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

christmas boots posted:

This is nothing

Yeah nothing in this manga has hit the lows of Naruto or Bleach yet. Or even Beastars and Demon Slayers' messes for final arcs.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

(main) Hasn't Kaminari had way more pagetime though? Mostly Bakugo-related, but he's also had a bunch of interactions with Jiro I think. Not that he's a huge character or anything, but that's still more than Hagakure. Plus him being friends with Bakugo would make it way easier to get readers to care about him being the traitor.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Manatee Cannon posted:

People were on board because Kaminari actually had a decent amount of interaction with the class. It'd be a big hit to Bakugo, Kirishima, and Jirou if Kaminari was the traitor. Also his power has a LOT of potential. Like you could easily spin him around and make him a top tier threat because there's so much versatility in generic lightning powers.

Hagakure's got no interaction and while invisibility can be used dangerously, she's not a huge threat. Kaminari at least brings something to the table.

That said, I wonder if this is a teaser/fakeout because Hagakure would be by far the best person at catching the real traitor. If they could've somehow confirmed she wasn't the traitor should could literally just invisibly spy on everyone until she had the proof needed. And now that AFO has broken out she caught someone getting orders.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 28, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah nothing in this manga has hit the lows of Naruto or Bleach yet. Or even Beastars and Demon Slayers' messes for final arcs.

yeah as i've been somewhat critical as of late i'd like to emphasize nothings been too bad. it's 'worse' but i only really feel that way because i do think mha was like, almost a perfect shonen for a while

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aurora posted:

but naruto....was good

and obito was... the coolest

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Main If it's a fakeout then that makes all this even more pointless because again it's far too late in the game to be pulling this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nuebot posted:

I blame twitter for all of this. The manga was good when we had Caleb Cook posting those cool translation posts after every chapter, and once he was stupidly harassed off of twitter the manga stopped being good. Coincidence? I think not. :colbert:

Twitter ruins everything.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Main In my opinion, the only actually interesting traitor option would be Hatsume Mei since she’s chaotic anyway. Hagakure just feels obvious because of course the invisible person is the spy. Whatever, I just want more weasel lady.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was thinking it would be Ururaka or Iida, with whoever it turned out to be being coerced by whatever means, and the villains just dropping them in it at one point by going "okay, we don't need you anymore, btw your friend was the traitor, idiots". It would be a good emotional twist and give them all a personal grudge against All For One; instead the traitor is a floating pair of gloves that occasionally gets a line of background dialogue.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Aurora posted:

but naruto....was good

:mods:

The sad thing is that I'm getting some serious Toriko vibes. An above average series that I've enjoyed a lot and then they decide to speedrun the ending which ends up hurting the series and retroactively making the series a lot weaker. If you don't stick the landing the journey becomes somewhat pointless.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
main: My problem with Invisigirl being the traitor is the same as my problem with Star, is the same as my problem with the Joint Training Arc, is the same as my problem with Nighteye and Overhaul: I don't care about these characters. I was never given a reason to care about these characters, I have had no time to form any sort of relationship with them, so at best they read as deus ex machina (Star) and at worst they read as poor story planning (you really didn't have time even once in 300 some chapters to do one about this girl?).

It's agonizing because he's done this right before. I felt sad when Twice died! He barely shows up in the story, honestly, but he gets a focus chapter and the slightest bit of dimension to him and all of his moments in the manga suddenly carry a bit more weight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

:mods:

The sad thing is that I'm getting some serious Toriko vibes. An above average series that I've enjoyed a lot and then they decide to speedrun the ending which ends up hurting the series and retroactively making the series a lot weaker. If you don't stick the landing the journey becomes somewhat pointless.

Didn't Toriko get only a dozen or so chapters to end? I heard it basically got the Bleach treatment.

Saying that we're speedrunning MHA is a big overstatement. The series is 7 years old now, the pace we're moving at just means we'll probably wrap things up in 2 years instead of 4 or more. It's been 40 chapters since the end of the war arc, the same amount as there is from chapter 1 to Deku vs Todoroki and longer than the whole of either the Overhaul or War arcs. Heck, the Pussycats get introduced in chapter 70, All Might retires in chapter 94. MHA is fast paced in general, always has been.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

that argument would hold water if it was written with the same quality as previous fast-paced writing

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Aurora posted:

that argument would hold water if it was written with the same quality as previous fast-paced writing

Vigilante Deku - Good. Lady Nagant - Good. Deku vs Class 1-A - Great. It's just the Star fight that's causing people to meltdown. The current writing is totally fine in my estimation, I don't see how it compares negatively to any of the previous moments I mentioned.

I don't think this thread should really be taken as any kind of reflection on the manga's quality, it's pretty much 80% complaining at all times regardless of whats happening.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh wow you have convinced me, the manga is good now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nephthys posted:

Vigilante Deku - Good. Lady Nagant - Good. Deku vs Class 1-A

No No and outside of like 2 character speeches no.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Interesting, I thought people hated things after the Gentle fight, and then it swung upwards for the Endeavor internship and then once Mirko stopped being onscreen nobody was delighted each update anymore.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Nephthys posted:

Vigilante Deku - Good. Lady Nagant - Good. Deku vs Class 1-A - Great. It's just the Star fight that's causing people to meltdown. The current writing is totally fine in my estimation, I don't see how it compares negatively to any of the previous moments I mentioned.

I don't think this thread should really be taken as any kind of reflection on the manga's quality, it's pretty much 80% complaining at all times regardless of whats happening.

the little mini-arcs have all been solid-to-good in theory, I think, with the exception of star coming out of nowhere to weaken the bad guy and die

the problem is that we've been moving between them at so rapid a pace that there's no time for the implications of any given event to sink in or really have consequences

the pacing is ruining the impact of a lot of individually alright concepts

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, I've pretty much enjoyed all of these arcs except the Star one. Also, I'm reserving judgment on the traitor arc until it's actually gotten underway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
In retrospect I think this series has actually been on a terminal downhill slide ever since deku ate that hair, it's really jumped the shark, you guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku vs 1A was good outside of the first chapter where the people giving the pep talk were like Momo and other characters that had never had a significant interaction with him. When it got to Iida, Bakugou and Ochako it was way good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku vs 1A was good outside of the first chapter where the people giving the pep talk were like Momo and other characters that had never had a significant interaction with him. When it got to Iida, Bakugou and Ochako it was way good imo.

Was that the one where Kaminari told him he needed a bath? Because if so, hard disagree, that chapter was good.