Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Really quite surprised how "ok" MAO vs HARASHIMA was. Not bad but still a disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GO SHIOZAKI IS loving BACK :kingsley:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I have not watched the show yet but I managed spoil that for myself by going on Twitter & I'm not even mad, poo poo rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

I have not watched the show yet but I managed spoil that for myself by going on Twitter & I'm not even mad, poo poo rules.

Also apparently it's not present day Go but they traveled back in time and picked him up at 19-years-old and brought him back to the present, because dude looks like a babby now :stare:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
So when does the loosening of attendance restrictions take place? Because other than Ice Ribbon allowing streamers again I haven't noticed any change.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GWB in the New Japan thread said the Dec 31st RIZIN show is doing 100% attendance, but i've not heard anything on the wrestling side yet

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bear in mind these promotions have been selling tickets for months in advance. You're not gonna be happy if you're taking your family to a Stardom show and they shove an old guy taking close up shots of AZM with a zoom lens between you and your daughter

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

In fairness isn't that basically expected behaviour from a good 25% of the Stardom audience?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just bought this week's issue of ShuPro and it's awards season, so here are the nominees. (Note that it is a write in system so you can vote for stuff that isn't nominated, e.g. Hiromu vs Desperado won best match and Naito vs Okada came second last year despite not being listed). It's a fan vote in a magazine you can pick up in any convenience store so it's gonna end up pretty close to the casual take.

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix
Shingo Takagi (NJPW)
Jake Lee (AJPW)
Keiji Mutoh (NOAH)
Kota Ibushi (NJPW)
Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH)
Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH)
YAMATO (DRAGONGATE)
Jun Akiyama (DDT)
Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)

Best Match
Go Shiozaki vs. Keiji Mutoh (NOAH 2.12)
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW 1.4)
Utami Hayashishita vs. Syuri (Stardom 6.12)
Shingo Takagi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 7.25)
Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW 3.21)
Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 9.19)
Jake Lee vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW 10.16)
Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH 6.13)
Shun Skywalker vs. YAMATO (DRAGONGATE 8.1)
Jun Akiyama vs. Konosuke Takeshita (DDT 8.21)
Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. Takuya Nomura (BJW 7.23)
Giulia vs. Tam Nakano (Stardom 3.3)

Joshi Grand Prix
Miyu Yamashita (TJPW)
Utami Hayashishita (Stardom)
Tsukasa Fujimoto (Ice Ribbon)
Tam Nakano (Stardom)
Rina Yamashita (free)
Syuri (Stardom)
Chihiro Hashimoto (Sendai Girls)
Starlight Kid (Stardom)
Takumi Iroha (Marvelous)
Maki Itoh (free)
Ryo Mizunami (free)
Risa Sera (Ice Ribbon)

Best Unit
M's Alliance (NOAH)
Total Eclipse (AJPW)
Los Ingobernables de Japon (NJPW)
Sugiura-gun (NOAH)
Evolution (AJPW)
CHAOS (NJPW)
Kongoh (NOAH)
NEXTREAM (AJPW)
Bullet Club (NJPW)
Stinger (NOAH)
Purple Haze (AJPW)
Suzuki-gun (NJPW)
Perros de Mal de Japon (NOAH)
Yoshitatsu Kingdom (AJPW)
United Empire (NJPW)
Queens Quest (Stardom)
Pheromones (DDT)
Masquerade (DRAGONGATE)
Oedo Tai (Stardom)
E.R.E. (FREEDOMS)
High End (DRAGONGATE)
Donna Del Mondo (Stardom)
#STRONGHEARTS (GLEAT)
Natural Vibes (DRAGONGATE)
Cosmic Angels (Stardom)
BULK Orchestra (GLEAT)
R.E.D. (DRAGONGATE)
Gacha Kingdom (Ice Ribbon)
STARS (Stardom)
37Kamiina (DDT)

Best Foreigner
Jeff Cobb (NJPW)
Will Ospreay (NJPW)
Robbie Eagles (NJPW)
Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)
Chris Brookes (DDT)
Francesco Akira (AJPW)
Violento Jack (FREEDOMS)
Diamante (DRAGONGATE)
Drew Parker (BJW)
Jason Lee (DRAGONGATE)

Best Rookie
Literally anyone who debuted in Japan in 2021

Help me decide

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 28, 2021

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Iroha misses most of the year with an injury and still makes the list of official nominees.for joshi mvp. What a star

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix - Can't make a decision on this
Shingo Takagi (NJPW)
Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH)
Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)

Best Match
Jake Lee vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW 10.16)
Konosuke Takeshita vs Chris Brookes (DDT 09.26)

Joshi Grand Prix
Miyu Yamashita (TJPW)

Best Unit
37Kamiina (DDT)

Best Foreigner
Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)

Best Rookie
Yuki Arai (TJPW)

Just noticed Maki Itoh is listed as a freelancer, never knew that

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just bought this week's issue of ShuPro and it's awards season, so here are the nominees. (Note that it is a write in system so you can vote for stuff that isn't nominated, e.g. Hiromu vs Desperado won best match and Naito vs Okada came second last year despite not being listed). It's a fan vote in a magazine you can pick up in any convenience store so it's gonna end up pretty close to the casual take.

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix
Shingo Takagi (NJPW)

Best Match
Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW 3.21)

Joshi Grand Prix

Syuri (Stardom)

Best Unit

Suzuki-gun (NJPW)

Best Foreigner

Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)

Best Rookie
Yuki Arai

My picks. Also Yoshitatsu has a unit?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stall_19 posted:

My picks. Also Yoshitatsu has a unit?

The only member I remembered offhand was the Yakuza looking guy Seigo Tachibana, but they also have deathmath wrestler Takayuki Ueki as a member of their roster apparently. Clearly I need to catch up with the tag league to see them win the 6-man belts

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

The only member I remembered offhand was the Yakuza looking guy Seigo Tachibana, but they also have deathmath wrestler Takayuki Ueki as a member of their roster apparently. Clearly I need to catch up with the tag league to see them win the 6-man belts

According to the magazine the members are Yoshitatsu, Seigo Tachibana, Takayuki Ueki, Baliyan Akki, Carbell Ito, Chikara, Raimu Imai & Eriko Imai

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I should have remembered Carbell Ito, but I can be forgiven for forgetting about Akki and Raimu Imai and choosing to not think about Chikara

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix
Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)

Best Match
Shingo Takagi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 7.25)

Joshi Grand Prix
Miyu Yamashita (TJPW)

Best Unit
37Kamiina (DDT)

Best Foreigner
Chris Brookes (DDT)

Best Rookie
Yuki Arai is an absolute walk for this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix
Shingo Takagi (NJPW)

Best Match
Write-in for Shingo Takagi vs Tomohiro Ishii, 18/9

Joshi Grand Prix
Rina Yamashita (free)

Best Unit
Kongo (NOAH)

Best Foreigner
Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)

Best Rookie
NATSUMI

Help me decide

Wrestler of the Year seems like a total no brainer to me. As of 2/11 he has 6 appearances in my top 25 matches. No one else touches that. 2nd & 3rd are way tighter.
Amused that for MOTY, the highest placed on my list of those matches on the list is Takagi vs Tana, which is at #21 & probably falls when I update the rankings come 1st December. And 14 of those 20 matches above it are from Japan.
Joshi award, probably could've gone for Arisa or Nanae as they both have 2 top 25 matches for me, but so does Rina & hers are higher.
I narrowed best unit to 9 factions & then wept as it meant I'd have to delete someone rad. But in the end, above anything else I'm a mark for 3 groups: Suzukigun, Kongo & Natural Vibes. And I went Kongo because they've done more cool poo poo this year, like adding Aleja.
Foreigner is hard. Diamante & Lee have had great years. Akira has come on leaps & bounds & won the Jr belt. ZSJ has been as excellent as always. Jeff Cobb, great stuff. Drew Parker is one of my discoveries of 2021. But gently caress it man, Zack.
Rookie of the Year. I loving hate this award because there is no easy to Google resource for who actually debuted in 2021. Cagematch doesn't let you search by that, so I have to rely upon my memory & lol at that. So it's either one of the Ihashi kids in Dragon Gate or I guess I've been quite impressed with what I've seen from ZERO1/Aja Kong trainee NATSUMI. So I went with her to be a hipster.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Is Tiger Queen eligible for best rookie? lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Help me decide

Pro Wrestling Grand Prix
Shingo Takagi (NJPW)

Best Match
Kota Ibushi vs. Switchblade Jay White (NJPW 1.5)

Joshi Grand Prix
Miyu Yamashita (TJPW)

Best Unit
Suzuki-gun (NJPW)

Best Foreigner
Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)
But Jeff Cobb is a very close run thing!

I went with what was listed for the most part but Ibushi/Switchblade was absolutely loving incredible and needs to be recognized. :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just lol if you don't vote Bulk Orchestra for best unit

Kinda mad that they include YAMATO/Shun for best match but not Shun/Kzy from the night before. :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

also NJPW is washed.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Decided to go

Mutoh
Write in for Mio Momono vs Chihiro Hashimoto
Rina Yamashita
E.R.E.
Violento Jack
Aoi

There's also a favourite wrestler vote where you can literally vote for any three wrestlers and it doesn't even have the "must have wrestled in Japan in 2021" the other categories have

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Is Tiger Queen eligible for best rookie? lol

lmao yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just saw the Yoshiki Inamura comeback watch with Fujita & hell yeah he's cool and it rules he's back

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kaito & Masa vs Mutoh & Marufuji going a half hour sure was a lousy idea. Match is good but come on NOSAWA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Watching the main event now. This show has been pretty much everything I want from modern NOAH. All the factions were well represented but it was clearly a night for KONGO to show off. KONGO might be my favorite faction in wrestling. Great entrance, roster full of killer, charismatic leadership, all the good poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I also grade Mutoh on a curve because these have been some of his best matches since the 90s. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wrestle so sublimely from off his back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Considering they aren't a tiny indie anymore I'm confused by how lovely some of these D-Ou shows have been from a production standpoint. This Osaka show I've just put on has the lighting of early ROH, but only 1 camera, on the floor. Even early ROH managed a hardcam and floor cam combo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Want to watch a really fun young boy match? 23rd November, night 5 of AJPE Real World Tag League, Rei.Saito against Shuji Ishikawa. Sub 5 minutes, and a lot stiff strikes fit in that time.

On the flipside, Team BJW matches mostly featuring overweight and broken down Abby Jr while Drew Parker comes in at the to take the pinfall is some infuriating poo poo.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2021

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Having not watched an Abby Jr match in a while, does that mean he has gone from "cherubic" to "morbidly obese"?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ditch posted:

Having not watched an Abby Jr match in a while, does that mean he has gone from "cherubic" to "morbidly obese"?

Yeah, I'd say he's rivalling Abby Sr's belly at this point

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Fantastic Gate is tomorrow. Main is a máscara contra máscara lucha de apuestas tag match

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1465669932935380992

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jacky "Funky" Kamei...

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Alaois posted:

Jacky "Funky" Kamei...

According to the poster it's now "Fanky"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

Jacky "Funky" Kamei...

He used to be called Funky "Jacky" Kamei, but then he got a new entrance theme sung by a J-pop girl group, and the lyrics called him Jacky "Funky" Kamei, so he decided to change his name. This is a real thing that actually happened like a month ago.

And if you think that's weird, wait until you hear about Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

GO SHIOZAKI IS loving BACK :kingsley:

When did this happen? I wanna see it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

When did this happen? I wanna see it.

Watch the show from this past weekend, NOAH The Best. Specifically watch the main event, Nakajima vs Kenoh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Watch that match anyway as it's really loving good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Some minor All Japan thoughts while I'm half-way through this show, RWTL night 6

NEXTREAM seem like they are big goofs just having fun, they've all started copying that thing Kento does with his jacket during his entrance where, and Atsuki Aoyagi is doing it while wearing a t-shirt which is funny. Also after they won their 6 man Tag here they all started air guitaring and miming to whatever Atsuki's theme song is. And then when he's alone on the ramp he gestures repeatedly for the ref to raise his hand one last time. So the ref finally gets out the ring & up onto the stage, goes to grab Kento's arm at which point Miyahara, Best of the Best, swiftly turns around & goes through the curtain, leaving the ref hanging. Very fun.

Also, LEONA seems marginally improved. He'll never be his dad but he's at least better than Chikara at this point

Super Crazy & Izanagi beating the gently caress out of each other after Izanagi got his mask removed & just not even trying to cover his face is interesting. Setting up a Juniors Title Match, though SC making the weight cut is maybe not the easiest sell...

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think they ever made a secret out of Izanagi being Maruyama