Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Eden Zero it just had a 3 year timeskip.

Cool, his back looks cool anyway.

Vise the Stompy posted:

I don't think Eden Zero should ever be used as an example of fan service done right, if that is even a term to throw around. Maybe back during the early Fairy Tail days with some of the lighter gags but as soon as the author saw what he could get away with he has been broadcasting his fetish into every scene he can. It does nothing to increase stakes or enhance the villains cause as soon as a new villain group shows up we know at least one, if not all the members is going to have traits to feed that fetish.

Like I said, I sometimes don't like reading it at all because of the gross fetish stuff. But it still handles story beats better.

Anyone know a manga that has done fan service right? I don't think any story I ever read actually got better from it. I kinda liked Yuusha ga Shinda, but that occasionally went so far up it's own fetish it got in the way as well. But at least it was often equal opportunity...sort off...I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You're not going to find a consistent definition of "doing fanservice right", so let's just all agree that it's Bleach.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's Kaguya-sama

Kaguya does fanservice right

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of EZ, leaks are coming out for the next chapter and with it reveals of time skip Pino, Hermit, and Shiki (:vince:).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking of EZ, leaks are coming out for the next chapter and with it reveals of time skip Pino, Hermit, and Shiki (:vince:).

Would those first two look different?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not wildly but enough. Of note, Pino has swapped her antennae out for bunny ears

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Doron Dororon was okay. Wasn’t anything amazing but has a solid enough premise with the promise of cool fights happening. I do find it funny that two manga that have recently come out now have the premise of “the guy is normal but just that powerful!” but go about it completely different ways. I’m going to follow it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it struggles for readership unless it does some really good world building the next couple of chapters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ayashimon continues to be great. It's a lot of fun to read on a weekly basis and it seems like the kind of manga that'll be just as good in collected volumes. I'm looking forward to the introduction of more secondary characters with weird personalities.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This week's Roboco was pretty drat funny. Pulling in the To Love Ru mangaka for a one-shot gag like that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doron Dororon opens up much weaker than Ayashimon, its ok but it needs a strong hook. Hoping to see one in the next few chapters. otherwise the poor artist is going to have two members of the U15 club to their name.

And a shame the artist toned down their stylization from golem hearts.

e: but they have improved considerably, good on them.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 28, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Protect Me needs to maybe just ditch the plot and go harder on the gags because some of the one off stuff was funny like the shield that attacks the closest person punching the holder.

Doron Dororon wasn't bad but it also isn't very original.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Apart is totally going to join Sakamoto's crew isn't he? They need a stock boy I'd imagine and the man is great at keeping shelves organized.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Doron Dororon's protagonist is sufficiently differentiated from Ayashimon's. I like him but man it's all pretty generic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sick of 'protag can't be the thing unless they have a cheat!' gimicks so I didn't make it past page 5.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
We do have like 5 manga's currently running in Shone Jump where a character in it just ignores the battle system in place and gets by with brute force. That said I like pretty much all of them so bring on the brutes!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, checked out Doron Dororon and talk about bad timing. Yeah, there are differences, but Ayashimon does a broadly similar thing, does it better and is a series that began almost at the same time and is competing for the same spot. I kinda liked what I saw, but it would have undoubtedly landed a lot better if that first chapter dropped like....three weeks earlier. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 28, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, checked out Doron Dororon and talk about bad timing. Yeah, there are differences, but Ayashimon does a broadly similar thing, does it better and is a series that began almost at the same time and competing for the same spot. I kinda liked what I saw, but it would have undoubtedly landed a lot better if that first chapter dropped like....three weeks earlier. :v:

Yeah, SJ editorial is cruel sometimes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Darth TNT status: Fully on board with the Ayashimon train.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was liking the MC in Ayashimon before , but the dude punching the sprinklers hard sold me on him. I love this idiot.

Thinking about it, there is no other way this chapter of Magu-Chan could have gone and I'm kinda ashamed I didn't see this coming. Still a good chapter.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Top 10 selling manga series this year acording to Oricon. Sone interesting shakeups this year.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1465033835691876360?t=P49JQ4SMGubKHMvTmfm7jw&s=19

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nice to see jjk doing so well, it's a good series and has prob the best anime adaption for a recent jump series

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Another good Ayashimon chapter, I hope this kid never gets to finish his attack name.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Being honest with her feelings has only made Suzu stronger in Ayakashi Triangle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu: Holy knights office never ceases to amuse. Still, I wonder what she’s playing at. Most likely she’s trying to lose and get a weaker body and with it more freedom to roam around.

Mash: lol Dot.

Undead: Cool. I love spring. Best Uma.

Witch watch very entertaining as usual.

Roboco finally a properly funny chapter again.

Shugomaru. Yeah, this isn’t doing it for me. It needs some focus and less reliance on the single note Shugo.

Sakamoto: String Guy is totally joining the shop. If he’s not I’ll be very disappointed. Old guy “fixing” the tower was cool and apparently Taro knows who he is.

Elusive: good to have it back again.

Doron has a bit of a problem yeah. This first chapter is a bit cliche, but very competent and I like the art. But the basic premise of the first chapter and theme hews very very very close to Ayashimon. It’s only the first chapter, but I’ll definitely give it a chance. This first chapter’s only missteps were basically timing and being a bit cliche. The former it can’t help and the latter can be fixed down the road.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Still very good!

Elusive Samurai: Yay, it's back! Some nice moments with Toshiyuki and Yorishige. On the other hand, I feel sorta cheated that the gang managed to escape so easily, given that they'd been faring so well despite the disparity in numbers. I guess this new Kokushi Tank is gonna be the fight that truly tests the Elusive Warriors!

Jujutsu: There was no Jujutsu this week, Shounen Jump is dead to me.

Mashle: I have a soft spot for Dot, dude's perpetually in the wrong manga. Go, Dot, go!

Roboco: Great gag this week.

Sakamoto: Still superb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked Doron. Kusanagi is cute.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Doron's Kusanagi is a tsuchinoko right?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked Doron. Kusanagi is cute.

Yeah it's not phenomenal or anything, but it's fine enough. Not a stellar first chapter but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ayashimon is the nuts, definitely should survive from this group of new mangas.

I didn't like doron that much - sucks to be put up against a much better yokai focused manga though I don't mind the main character. Art style is also not like the kind I like though it's well drawn.

shugomaru is really dumb but I kind of like how dumb it is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jerkface posted:

Ayashimon is the nuts, definitely should survive from this group of new mangas.

speaking of, this week's chapter opens with the implication that a guy just hosed a tanuki's transformed scrotum and laffo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cloks posted:

speaking of, this week's chapter opens with the implication that a guy just hosed a tanuki's transformed scrotum and laffo

that was a great gag. Ayashimon hits a sweet spot for me with some good character design and great panels, like the one of the main lady walking surrounded by street signs.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I like both the new monster manga but I really like how balls to the wall insane Ayakashimon’s protagonist is. I also like that he doesn’t have any powers, he just has about five brain cells and all of them are devoted to screaming about how rad it is to fight demons all the time.

Kusanagi’s a real cute squishy pal, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The main problem I see with Doronron is that from the setup it feels like Dora will be the only character to have a cute sentient weapon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

Yeah, SJ editorial is cruel sometimes.

Sending multiple similar manga out at once is sometimes the right call. It means you're more likely to get at least one winner from the batch. Sure, it's rough on the weaker series, but it mostly just means you get U-19'd rather than go for 20-some chapters. When you have strong hits like Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen, they can both survive right next to each other, while a loser like Nine Dragons dies even if it's the only sports manga for miles.

Looking at Doron, I think one thing it does wrong (or at least, less well) with the opening that Ayashimon did right, even aside from general quality questions, is the ending.

At the end of Ayashimon's first chapter, our hero had been formally inducted into the ranks of the monster yakuza. We've started the adventure.

Meanwhile, the protagonist in Doron hasn't. He still doesn't have a job with the samurai, he's not a hero, he's just picked a fight with a monster and won. We don't know how he's going to get involved in future adventures if monsters don't come direct to him, how he interacts with the samurai girl in the color spread, any of that. It's still in flux, making chapter 1 incomplete. It's less of a grasp on the plot, so it gets the readers less interested.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A tale of two similarily-named manga.

Ayashimon rules. It reinforced that the mc is super strong and super eager to fight, but also a complete, total, and utter idiot. I love him, and I love this manga.

Meanwhile, Ayakashi Triangle spent an entire chapter on "tee hee we're accidentally doing pervy stuff somehow" and didn't move the plot or characterisation one inch; you could've completely excised this chapter, and nothing of value would've been lost. Makes me wonder why I'm still reading this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

A tale of two similarily-named manga.

Ayashimon rules. It reinforced that the mc is super strong and super eager to fight, but also a complete, total, and utter idiot. I love him, and I love this manga.

Meanwhile, Ayakashi Triangle spent an entire chapter on "tee hee we're accidentally doing pervy stuff somehow" and didn't move the plot or characterisation one inch; you could've completely excised this chapter, and nothing of value would've been lost. Makes me wonder why I'm still reading this.

The entire point of Ayakashi is to be ecchi and to titilate. Everything else is secondary. HTH.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doron Dororon is entertaining, but I'd still bet a small sum of money on it failing. As mentioned before, nearly every series with a similar feel to that fails (with the closest exception being Kimetsu no Yaiba).

Amusingly, both Jujutsu Kaisen and Kaiju No 8 have a very similar premise to Doron Dororon (main character who has some sort of bond with a "demon/monster" that lets him fight alongside the "regular" magical fighters), but both those series have something distinguishing them. Jujutsu Kaisen has a very distinct art style and an interesting tone in general (and the closest thing to HxH-style fights I can think of in current shounen manga), though IIRC that didn't become clear until a bit into the series, and Kaiju No 8 has an Actual Adult protagonist, which I really like (I wouldn't be surprised if this was a conscious choice just due to knowing how many adults read WSJ).

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In other news, Sanda continues to be buck wild.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone still reading Ghost Reaper Girl? I totally forgot it existed until now, I never see anyone talk about it but it's already up to 30 chapters. I don't remember much about it other than being so creeped out by the first chapter that I didn't want to read any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone still reading Ghost Reaper Girl? I totally forgot it existed until now, I never see anyone talk about it but it's already up to 30 chapters. I don't remember much about it other than being so creeped out by the first chapter that I didn't want to read any more.

Yes. I made a post about it 3 updates ago.
While I wasn't that troubled by the first chapter, I can tell you it's gotten decidedly less creepy. Just keep in mind, that the more handsome someone is, the more powerful they are.
The story is okay, but has been meandering a bit. It finally started to kick in gear, but well you read the last update.