Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Platystemon posted:

Gro Pro makes them.

Shipping is probably going to cost you a pretty penny if you can’t get them locally, but there are online retailers.

Thank you! Found a local reseller for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I grew a lot of lettuce and celery from veggie butts at the start of the pandemic.
The celery is still growing but it's noticeably more bitter than the original celery.
The lettuce is all dead now.

I did that with celery too but it came out sweet and delicious

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My tea tree flowers are blossoming. Pretty cool.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

B33rChiller posted:

I've not read the thread since spring, maybe midsummer, but here's a little video about a little bit of attempting to save some things indoors from the garden over winter. Also, a video message to Hexigrammus on Vancouver Island about Solanum villosum.https://youtu.be/WBepQX1CUeM

Ha! I'm developing a begrudging respect for those little bastards. I need to head out to the Okanagan shortly for an extended period so I'm busy trying to button up the garden and process the last of the produce before I go. After taking down the hoop house I found this hiding under the tomatoes in the back.

Emaciated, starved for light, but still producing berries. I found a wonderberry under the tomatillos as well. I'm never going to get rid of these things.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Ha! I'm developing a begrudging respect for those little bastards. I need to head out to the Okanagan shortly for an extended period so I'm busy trying to button up the garden and process the last of the produce before I go. After taking down the hoop house I found this hiding under the tomatoes in the back.

Emaciated, starved for light, but still producing berries. I found a wonderberry under the tomatillos as well. I'm never going to get rid of these things.

I pulled those out from under my long beans, from behind my cucumbers, and 6 times from under my tomatoes and peppers this summer. I'd never seen them grow so much or quickly as this last year even with drought and heat for 2 months. Now I'll just expect them next year because I know they went to seed and I know that I didn't get them all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

My tea tree flowers are blossoming. Pretty cool.

My Camellia sasanqua flowers are blooming too! Those look just like little sasanqua blooms, but way more pollen and less petals. Are they fragrant at all? Sasanqua's have a slight smell, but japonica's don't really have any scent.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I know yall are busy trying to migrate your potatoes into your basements but I made a thread about harvesting/drying plants for looking at and crafting and poo poo instead of eating if anyone is into that kind of thing (or wants to be). It's the right season for it and they're all going to die anyway.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Is it ok to lay sulfur before my freezing weather as I'm preparing a bed for blueberries next year? I came across mixed information suggesting sulfur can't be incorporated if the microorganisms aren't active during winter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can put it down, but it won’t do much for months.

If you need your soil acidified fast, you need to add something like sulphuric acid directly, or add ferrous sulphate that has mostly the same effect because the excess iron is harmless.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Should I be watering garlic I planted over the winter? It doesnt get below freezing where I live, and there is maybe ~3 in of rain or so in an average winter month - often with weeks of dry weather in between. If I don't water, the soil will will be dry maybe 90% of the time, but I gather garlic doesnt do much until spring?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tremors posted:

This year's pepper harvest was bountiful, aside from the dragon's breath plant that got shaded out.

Hell yeah :hellyeah:

How do you like the sugar rush peach peps? I just planted some today!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not sure if the gardening thread applies to house plants, but I need some help with my begonia (if there's a house plants thread, I'd appreciate a redirect).

I noticed a couple weeks ago that some of the stems started to droop really bad. I haven't changed the watering schedule or moved it to another spot, and while the temperature increased a bit the past few weeks (hitting maybe 70-80s indoors), it's not scorching. It feels like it's wilting, but it's literally just the stems. They feel real flimsy, like they're made out of wet string instead of plant fiber, which makes me think it may be from a watering issue? It doesn't affect the entire plant, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't something like some rot that I didn't notice or something.

Picture of the whole plant, with the worst parts drooping down touching the rug. I originally tied some of the stems a year or so ago so that they would grow upwards instead of to the side, but now I fear that the plant would collapse in on itself if I removed the ties.

Close up of the worst of the drooping stems. It basically just hangs on my finger.

I've had this begonia for a while and it used to be my best plant, so I'm worried that something may have happened to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if the gardening thread applies to house plants, but I need some help with my begonia (if there's a house plants thread, I'd appreciate a redirect).

Thisaway.

Could be root problems :(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Your begonia is now begone.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but the soil looks wet. How long did you have it? I think it was over watered.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Your begonia is now begone.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but the soil looks wet. How long did you have it? I think it was over watered.

I've had it for a couple years now. I only water it about once a week (usually 7 to 9 days) and like I said, haven't changed the watering schedule or where it is within my apartment. Some (most?) of the stems are fine, but are noodley. I can check the roots this weekend, but I'd be pretty bummed if this died.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I live in New England, specifically Rhode Island. Would love to hear what fellow gardeners in the area enjoy planting!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what are these guys on my kale, and how do i get rid of them?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If you mostly neglect and don't ever re-pot the bell pepper seedlings a friend leaves on your porch, you get tiny (yet delicious) fruit!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chard posted:

Aphids probably. Look similar. Start by spraying them off the plant and squishing anything that moves. I'd dust around with diatomaceous earth and go on a neem oil + insecticidal soap routine to start (at dusk or when they won't get a lot of direct sunlight is a good time so the leaves don't get burned). That's a lot of them and the damage to the plant will attract other things too. They're hard to get out of that sort of plant because they can hide near the base in the parts where the leaves converge, but it is possible. Whatever you do, check all your nearby plants and do the same thing. If you can remove leaves without killing the plant, you may want to take a look to see what are the worst damaged and take them off.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Pulled up the Japanese sweet potatoes after going out and discovering that most of the foliage had turned yellow more or less overnight. Pretty good harvest--this is from two plants started from slips, and a third where I just hacked off a bit of one vine that was sticking out over the edge of the bed and I just stuck the hacked off end of the vine into a bare patch of soil. Coke can for scale:

Chonky boi in the middle there is ~a kg.

This is probably the last major haul from the garden this season. Still have some bitter melons going but I'm just going to let them go overripe and then save the seeds. Been a pretty weak year for bitter melons, but last year was loving batshit several-pounds-every-week crazy so I guess it averages out.

And finally...has anyone seen this before with ground cherries? These are from a volunteer from last year. Most of the fruit are normal ground cherries, but maybe a quarter of them are doing this thing where the fruit is maturing outside of the husk, and the husk is growing to a normal size, but balled up at the stem end of the fruit:

If it was just one or two I'd figure just some fuckup/accident/whatever, but the plant produced dozens of fruit like that. Never seen it before.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Chard posted:

Stop growing kale. :v:

Gross plants jokes aside that looks pretty extensive and the soap/spray option might not be nuclear enough. At the least you'll likely need to cull and trim to mitigate.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thanks for the responses. i picked up some neem oil this afternoon, and tomorrow i'm going to start alternating some diluted soapy spray and the oil after trimming it down. the plants are kind of off in their own little corner which is why i've been neglecting them, but fortunately that also means they probably haven't been shedding bugs onto anything nearby.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Are you in a warm climate this time of year, and can order ladybugs? Or are these indoor?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This week I pulled the last of the fruits off my tomatoes and peppers, mostly stuff I'd left on for weeks to maybe ripen. Now I'm already planning for next year. Definitely want some new tomato and pepper varieties, will plant twice as many long beans if not more (I'm obsessed), and add at least one new vegetable - maybe cucumbers. I might also try to find some strawberry plants. My experiments with carrots and radishes have mostly failed over the past two years, so I'm going to look into soil amendments for those as well, don't wanna give up quite yet.

Main thing though is I need more and better grow lights and seed trays with bigger wells. For the two years I've been doing this, I've used a $15 light I got off Amazon that is sufficient to start a tray or two of seeds, but they go leggy and have to be potted up and moved to windows really drat quick, and I only have so many windows.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

showbiz_liz posted:

This week I pulled the last of the fruits off my tomatoes and peppers, mostly stuff I'd left on for weeks to maybe ripen. Now I'm already planning for next year. Definitely want some new tomato and pepper varieties, will plant twice as many long beans if not more (I'm obsessed), and add at least one new vegetable - maybe cucumbers. I might also try to find some strawberry plants. My experiments with carrots and radishes have mostly failed over the past two years, so I'm going to look into soil amendments for those as well, don't wanna give up quite yet.

Main thing though is I need more and better grow lights and seed trays with bigger wells. For the two years I've been doing this, I've used a $15 light I got off Amazon that is sufficient to start a tray or two of seeds, but they go leggy and have to be potted up and moved to windows really drat quick, and I only have so many windows.

So you haven't had any success with root vegetables. Are they stumpy and not liking your hard soil? I've really liked gypsum to break up some soil.

I like the 4 foot grow lights you can find at hardware stores for $50. They're on a chain you can adjust the height and can light two of those seed trays that fit 12 6-packs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OneGreenWorld, which has lots of great hard-to-find food plants, has opened up orders to be shipped in spring.

Their berry offerings. They have Szechuan pepper plants! Not the hot peppers, but the plants that grow the peppercorns.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OneGreenWorld, which has lots of great hard-to-find food plants, has opened up orders to be shipped in spring.

Their berry offerings. They have Szechuan pepper plants! Not the hot peppers, but the plants that grow the peppercorns.

Dammit, I bought stuff (peppercorn plants) the last time this place was posted, now I'm gonna have to buy some raspberries for the spring.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

Dammit, I bought stuff (peppercorn plants) the last time this place was posted, now I'm gonna have to buy some raspberries for the spring.
:getin:

A Canadian friend verified for me that Canadian and European elderberries do taste different, so now I can go ahead and order the harder-to-find Sambucus nigra.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks, I've been trying to find some Chilean Guava plants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I moved from a third of an acre to .09 acre (not a typo!) and the front half is a gravel driveway that is sorely needed. I also live across the street from a nature preserve. There are bears and deer, and if I want to be able to grow what I love in my .04 acre, I need a deer fence.

I interviewed my first landscaper a couple of weeks ago, and half the conversation was great, as we talked about what would and wouldn't grow in this microclimate, what I could/should take out, and how high a deer fence was going to have to be. We parted cordially, after he explained that I needed to do a formal land survey in order to decide what the borders were. I've been putting off the survey because I have a lot of household appointments I'm riding herd on. (Please come soon, electrician! I need that freezer outlet!)

I realized what was sticking in my craw. I didn't feel he was listening to the fact that I want to do the gardening. I don't want just "a lavender" here, I want to look at 21 varieties of lavender and pick the three I'm most impressed by. I want beds laid out, I want somebody else doing the hard work of clearing out uninteresting plants and trees, and I want a fence that will keep some deer-attractive plants (old roses, a couple of apples, a Meyer lemon) safer. After that, it's mine to decide on, and anything available at a wholesale nursery will not probably meet my needs because I am a big ol' plant nerd.

So, first steps, I'm going to talk to the neighbor; I think they border me on both non-road sides. I want to see what they think the boundaries are, and how they feel about a deer fence. If it seems like the smart thing to do, I'll hire a surveyor. And then I'll find a landscaper who will do the brutal work and leave me alone to do the finer work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You absolutely need a survey, to understand setbacks for your muni (which may nuke this plan) and probably a fence permit.

The good news is that you can get very tricky about selection and co-planting to make your garden the least attractive option to deer (nothing is truly deer proof). I have a lot of allium in my beds and the deer stay clear.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

You absolutely need a survey, to understand setbacks for your muni (which may nuke this plan) and probably a fence permit.
I am waaaay the hell out in the boonies; the town I live in isn't even a town, it's a "census-designated place". However, I do (thanks for pointing that out) need a county building permit because the fence will be over 6 feet. A fence setback would apply only to the front yard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am waaaay the hell out in the boonies; the town I live in isn't even a town, it's a "census-designated place". However, I do (thanks for pointing that out) need a county building permit because the fence will be over 6 feet. A fence setback would apply only to the front yard.

That's definitely easier than it could be. Lots of places require setbacks on all sides and that's not much fun on small lots.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Well, it's not much but it's mine. First garden since I was a teenager and first time growing in FL, so everything is an experiment.

Halloween

Nov 19th

Today

It's definitely over crowded. I vastly underestimated how large some of these would get. Going to be adding a small lattice for the beans, and also pull out the tomato plant I broke when running water lines and put a new one in. Just hoping to get some things out for winter, and then figure out wtf to do for spring and summer here. Also may turn part of my sideyard into raised beds to get some more space.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Four Winds Growers, which I can vouch for as a reliable supplier of good citrus plants, https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/ is having a sale on olive trees and preorders on other fruit trees. Through Dec. 6th. I've only ever tried their citrus, but they have rare plants of good quality.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Four Winds Growers, which I can vouch for as a reliable supplier of good citrus plants, https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/ is having a sale on olive trees and preorders on other fruit trees. Through Dec. 6th. I've only ever tried their citrus, but they have rare plants of good quality.

I've bought Avocado trees from them, the trees were small, but good quality. I would recommend up-potting them into a 5 gallon pot for a year, to establish their roots, before direct planting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got some great cold hardy citrus plants from them as well, so if you’re in a milder climate (I’m 8b), they have stuff that goes down to 7. The plants are also packed really, really securely.

Kumquat and early satsuma, respectively.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got an aerogarden and started 3 cherry tomato plants about a month ago and they are going gangbusters.

I remember reading there are some secondary actions I need to take to promote fruiting like trimming some of the branches or assisting pollination or whatever. Is there anything I'm supposed to be doing other than keeping the water/food levels correct?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got an aerogarden and started 3 cherry tomato plants about a month ago and they are going gangbusters.

I remember reading there are some secondary actions I need to take to promote fruiting like trimming some of the branches or assisting pollination or whatever. Is there anything I'm supposed to be doing other than keeping the water/food levels correct?

Prune off the suckers. You'll see them appear between the main stem and a leaf of the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cool, I'll give it a shot, thanks.