Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I gave him dark resistance to cover his only weakness too, fused it on from Power. And gave him some Dracostrikes lol

Is it me or is charge/concentrate not as good in this game? I feel like it gives less than double the damage, still good for MP conservation I guess but getting into less worth it territory

With the Donum skills that let you charge/concentrate someone else you can get your powerhouse to use 2 charged moves on the same turn. I'd say it's pretty worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I gave him dark resistance to cover his only weakness too, fused it on from Power. And gave him some Dracostrikes lol

Is it me or is charge/concentrate not as good in this game? I feel like it gives less than double the damage, still good for MP conservation I guess but getting into less worth it territory

ya i think its around 1.75 damage now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just fused my boy Daisoujou, I’m so happy. Next stop, Yoshitsune and an Alice with her weakness covered.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just fused my boy Daisoujou, I’m so happy. Next stop, Yoshitsune and an Alice with her weakness covered.

Alice is such a good unit. I recently cashed in a ton of grimoires to bring her up to my level but even when she was like 8 levels behind everyone else she was a mainstay and just melted bosses. I think she’s gotten the deathblow on half the bosses I’ve faced so far

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Alice is such a good unit. I recently cashed in a ton of grimoires to bring her up to my level but even when she was like 8 levels behind everyone else she was a mainstay and just melted bosses. I think she’s gotten the deathblow on half the bosses I’ve faced so far

She was my favorite demon in Strange Journey, so it’s nice to hear she’s made a strong comeback.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Losing my mind over this demon's model lol. 4th zone spoilers

https://streamable.com/qpbtis

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i dont have a single regret about starting on hard mode but when you chose newborn/reborn for ng+ do you get to change it then?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Trash Ops posted:

i dont have a single regret about starting on hard mode but when you chose newborn/reborn for ng+ do you get to change it then?

Yes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ya she has been on my team while now. the little poke when she does her unique is sick lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Okay I finally found a Magatsuhi skill that is better than the Crit one you start with. Comes from Tyrant Talisman which isn't available until the last quarter of the game and also means you need a Tyrant on your team. But it doubles the MP cost of all your skills while doubling their damage, and it seems to stack with Charge/Concentrate.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've gotten some absolutely absurd numbers off a crit charge'd Murakumo using that skill. It owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was kind of disappointed in her. Die for Me hitting randomly now makes it kind of bad

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lmao the very first part of smt iv is the most brutal in all of them that I've played. Oh you failed negotiation? Die.

They can also ask you to kill your own demons which makes them leaving even funnier

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mbt posted:

Lmao the very first part of smt iv is the most brutal in all of them that I've played. Oh you failed negotiation? Die.

They can also ask you to kill your own demons which makes them leaving even funnier

It’s so bizarre, the very very beginning is the hardest part by far and then once you make it out of Naraku the game suddenly becomes much easier and never really gets back up to that level of difficulty.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It’s so bizarre, the very very beginning is the hardest part by far and then once you make it out of Naraku the game suddenly becomes much easier and never really gets back up to that level of difficulty.

All I know is theres a minotaur early on that supposedly demolishes people and after that it's all easy. When I saw you could save anywhere I didnt expect any challenge but I'm not sure how the early game would be possible without it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

All I know is theres a minotaur early on that supposedly demolishes people and after that it's all easy. When I saw you could save anywhere I didnt expect any challenge but I'm not sure how the early game would be possible without it.

Yeah the save anywhere and more generous death stuff allows SMT4 to be more threatening on a fight to fight basis

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I think that’s the trade-off, you can save anywhere but to balance it you’re much more likely to just suddenly get one- or two-shotted out of nowhere even by random encounters. 5 seems like a middle ground, you can’t save anywhere but the save points are very frequent, so random encounters are more dangerous than 3 but not as much as 4–I’m enjoying 5’s difficulty the most out of what I played

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I constantly feel underleved in this game, more than the others. Maybe because you can easily avoid encounters and I've been subconsciously doing a low xp run

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I constantly feel underleved in this game, more than the others. Maybe because you can easily avoid encounters and I've been subconsciously doing a low xp run

I get this in a lot of RPGs where you can avoid encounters lol.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

actually in the final dungeon in smt3. unless theres another chance to fuse, my final team is karasu tengu (ftw), Titania, and Parvati, with a 40str demifiend.

think im in for a very long final dungeon

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've definitely been keeping myself low level since I don't want to outlevel optional bosses and make them too easy but I just bumbled into a story boss that was 10 levels above me lol, that was an extremely short fight. I don't know if the game factors level at all into its damage calculations or if its just that having all those stats from more levels makes that much of a difference, but either way anything 5+ levels above me usually makes for a very nasty fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fiend Matador posted:

I've definitely been keeping myself low level since I don't want to outlevel optional bosses and make them too easy but I just bumbled into a story boss that was 10 levels above me lol, that was an extremely short fight. I don't know if the game factors level at all into its damage calculations or if its just that having all those stats from more levels makes that much of a difference, but either way anything 5+ levels above me usually makes for a very nasty fight

it definitely uses raw level in the damage calcs, i think people testing low level attempts have found that +/-5 levels from the target is "normal" math and outside those ranges theres extra modifiers to make poo poo just explode easily or kill you in one hit.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

First death of the game. Fionn Got him about halfway, then he 1 shot me w/a crit. Came back to whoop his rear end though.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah now that you can avoid random encounters I've been avoiding them to the detriment of my xp

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Yeah now that you can avoid random encounters I've been avoiding them to the detriment of my xp

The magatama in area 2 seem to give a shitload more xp for killing them, at least. I jumped like 6 or 7 levels just exploring and fighting them when they popped up

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The npc I cant control used a fire spell on minotaur and gave him smirk, then he crit chained me to death. I'm 50/50 lmaoing / wanting to snap my ds in half. I love smt

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

it definitely uses raw level in the damage calcs, i think people testing low level attempts have found that +/-5 levels from the target is "normal" math and outside those ranges theres extra modifiers to make poo poo just explode easily or kill you in one hit.

I suspected that, it definitely felt like it was impacting a lot more than past games did. Not a fan tbh, I liked that level wasn't hugely important compared to press turn coverage, buffs and fusions.

Those are still more important but I have a bugbear about RPGs that put too much "invisible" weighting based on levels, find it kind of boring (Divinity OS being a huge and obvious offender) and it sucks a bit that SMT is doing it now

mbt posted:

The npc I cant control used a fire spell on minotaur and gave him smirk, then he crit chained me to death. I'm 50/50 lmaoing / wanting to snap my ds in half. I love smt
They changed both the smirk and NPC companion mechanics in Apocalypse for the better and I'm convinced it was largely because this particular thing happened to everyone lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

holy poo poo smtv owns. i'm having the exact opposite problem people are having where i am wildly over-leveled because i keep seeing cool demons i can get so i go and farm the level up items so i can fuse them. i'm level loving 60 in the second zone lol. the demons are so loving cool man they own. and holy poo poo poison on bosses kicks rear end. why yes please feel free to take a million turns don't let me stand in your way

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

copy posted:

holy poo poo smtv owns. i'm having the exact opposite problem people are having where i am wildly over-leveled because i keep seeing cool demons i can get so i go and farm the level up items so i can fuse them. i'm level loving 60 in the second zone lol. the demons are so loving cool man they own. and holy poo poo poison on bosses kicks rear end. why yes please feel free to take a million turns don't let me stand in your way

what the hell. are you using the farming DLC bc that sounds like a nightmare otherwise. I'm 45 deep into zone 3.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

first area down, had to get all miman before i left. thank fuckin god the nuwa fight ended at half health, i ws freaking out tryin to figure out how i'd chip her down with all my guys at 0 mp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have been whupping rear end with this team for hours now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was not expecting 3rd area boss to be that much of a pushover even though I powered down all the towers. she couldn't do poo poo!!! Annihilated her clean first try, getting hype for a area with a roof and floors, I hope this is like a 20 hour dungeon zone.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I was not expecting 3rd area boss to be that much of a pushover even though I powered down all the towers. she couldn't do poo poo!!! Annihilated her clean first try, getting hype for a area with a roof and floors, I hope this is like a 20 hour dungeon zone.
Apparently people complained about this dungeon enough that they're patching it in the next few days so complete it soon if you still want a challenge lmao. I'm just preparing for the 3rd area boss myself and read about this this afternoon, gonna turn off updates until I can see it for myself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Apparently people complained about this dungeon enough that they're patching it in the next few days so complete it soon if you still want a challenge lmao. I'm just preparing for the 3rd area boss myself and read about this this afternoon, gonna turn off updates until I can see it for myself

That's fail. Luckily I've got a physical copy so I can always experience 1.0.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm someone who gets disoriented easily and I had basically no trouble at all with the dungeon. There's a little breadcrumb of magatsuhi/hp/mp orbs showing you what path to take, very baffling it was apparently a big enough issue to make easier.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

got the miracle that lets demons use items :getin:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I got lost in that dungeon for a while but I'm also an idiot with the worst sense of direction that God has ever given anyone so I don't think it's that bad. Certainly not as confusing as some of the dungeons in 3 or the enormous teleporter maze mansion in 4/4A.

I do really like the new semi-open world format instead of dungeons though, I was skeptical when it first started showing up in prerelease reviews but I've come to really love it and hope that any future installments keep it.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

It annoyed me a bit because i don't really want to platforming for an extended period in a game like smt. Shoudve been like 1 less floor imo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I want way more dungeons. and way longer ones too.

and way more platforming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i don't see how people could have a problem with that boss after a few of the previous ones. i guess they just ignored the bit about destroying the devices to weaken her? i won easily even though my MC was weak to light

oh people were complaining about the dugeon--not the boss >.>