Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Interchange plazas and malls
And crowded chain restaurants
More housing developments go up
Named after the things they replace

So welcome to Minnow Brook
And welcome to Shady Space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Scathach posted:

They did this with a really cute old town near me. It now has a very ugly apartment building/gym in the center with an ice cream shop on one side to sell it. Town already had multiple coffee stands.

Aww! Now Arlington can look like it’s a hipster neighborhood to hide the blatant racism!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

'round here you can tell how poo poo an apartment building is by how fancy the name sounds, like if it's got "manor" in the name you know it's just brimming with cockroaches

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last few years it has been popular to name apartment buildings after people or like they are people. Like "The Chad" or whatever. Which is a terrible loving trend.

https://www.naahq.org/node/37365/article/whats-name

They built a new structure in a mixed-use zone in my town with three restaurants on the ground floor and apartments on top. It's called "The Mix 1309 [or whatever the numbers of the street address are]"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Next up on THE MIXX 100.9 we got Miss Manors and the Cockroach on your morning drive!! *fart noise**spring bouncing**clown horn**guitar noodling*

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's a hazy drive up the 33 from Brookehaevyn, slowdown on the left shoulder approaching The Trees Manor parkway southbound. A stalled truck in the northbound making both directions rough today. 44 degrees and warming. Several reports of coyotes, keep your dog inside. 6 oh 5 in the morning. Back to you in the newsroom.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

quote:

Suspicious Truck Took Picture. Just happened to look outside and saw a white pickup truck slow down in front of our house, then the man took out a big camera and took a picture of our house and drove off quickly. It was too far away to get the license plate. Has anyone else noticed this or have any ideas?

I'm just imagining a comically big camera like from a Naked Gun movie or something. The replies are mostly all people pointing out the multiple legitimate reasons someone would be taking a high quality picture of a house.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 29, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What are those reasons? I'd like to be ready because if someone does that to our house my wife will freak out bad.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Source4Leko posted:

What are those reasons? I'd like to be ready because if someone does that to our house my wife will freak out bad.

Utility company, a realtor who might approach you to sell the property or was just appraising the neighborhood, a customer of a carpenter who was taking a picture of the porch to ask them replicate it, historical interest, a childhood home. Or:

quote:

I took a few photos of 7-8 white squirrels in someone’s yard a few weeks ago…so awesome! I’m sure if the owners looked outside their window in that moment they would have thought I was creepy!

Another neighbor chimed in to say:

quote:

I've seen white and black squirrels in (neighborhood) area

Nice to know!

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 29, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Source4Leko posted:

Casing the area for driveways to pee and poop on

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Out of all the houses in the area they'd chosen that one person's at that one moment to take a spy photo of exactly as the person watched them and later agents in ski masks will rappel down from a silent helicopter and murder them before burning just that one house to the ground.

Happens to me constantly actually.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

#alkalinefemaleurine

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There used to be a cherry orchard by my house when I was growing up. Walking past and grabbing a few made going to school in the spring feel worth it, and I've never tasted a cherry that good since.

They bulldozed it for a townhouse development right before my first year of high school. Called it "The Orchard" and put a picture of an apple on the sign

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

flavor.flv posted:

There used to be a cherry orchard by my house when I was growing up. Walking past and grabbing a few made going to school in the spring feel worth it, and I've never tasted a cherry that good since.

They bulldozed it for a townhouse development right before my first year of high school. Called it "The Orchard" and put a picture of an apple on the sign

Amazing. :discourse:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lately I've noticed a LOT of posts complaining about women peeing everywhere and folks being pretty darn disrespectful to, and ignorant about, this beautiful and natural act.
So if there are any young women out there who 'feel the urge' but don't want to be shamed by the prudes that apparently post here, feel free to stop on by [redacted] and 'let loose'!
I'm home all day so you can be sure the yard is secure!
Pee, er, SEE you soon LOL!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last few years it has been popular to name apartment buildings after people or like they are people. Like "The Chad" or whatever. Which is a terrible loving trend.

https://www.naahq.org/node/37365/article/whats-name

This is just... awful.

I hate marketers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

flavor.flv posted:

Steve jobs strikes again!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Utility company, a realtor who might approach you to sell the property or was just appraising the neighborhood, a customer of a carpenter who was taking a picture of the porch to ask them replicate it, historical interest, a childhood home.

Also appraisers. Private appraisers needing comps to prove a house in the neighborhood under contract is worth the selling price in order for the lender to approve the loan. Or local government appraisers deciding property values for your property taxes. Also insurance companies when you add/change to a new homeowners policy.

There’s literally dozens of legit reasons for people to photograph houses, it’s just part of the lubricant of our society, but these sheltered morons act like it’s something to be alarmed about.

People who don’t understand anything about how anything works. Then everything becomes a conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I just joined Nextdoor, and this was one of the first posts I saw. Obviously I'm done with Nextdoor.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Slugworth posted:

I just joined Nextdoor, and this was one of the first posts I saw. Obviously I'm done with Nextdoor.

Local milf-hunter

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I recognize that it's totally legal for creepy real estate agents to take pictures of my house but I still threaten them and tell them to gently caress off when they come to my door because they're piece of poo poo gentrifiers and I hope they choke on their own slop.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Just got my third next-door invite in a handful of years. This time from an adjacent heap of streets rather than the turbotrumper. Some elderly lady whom I didn't realize could operate a computer. Seems like a trap.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
There’s a fancy looking apartment building near the university of Washington called Lothlorien

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

Just got my third next-door invite in a handful of years. This time from an adjacent heap of streets rather than the turbotrumper. Some elderly lady whom I didn't realize could operate a computer. Seems like a trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuKmokKfK4

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Orgy of racism is my exact fear. Also these people knowing my name.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

Orgy of racism is my exact fear. Also these people knowing my name.

I think a lot of that depends on where you live. Like my local Nextdoor was aggressively liberal and bland, which is pretty much exactly what I expected. Even the anti-homeless people were careful in how they phrased their anti-homeless posts, and appeared to be outnumbered by more empathetic people. Much like this part of town, my local Nextdoor is profoundly boring.

That said, I disabled my account even though I'd used a pseudonym because it required too much of my street address to show, and gently caress that privacy violating bullshit.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think a lot of that depends on where you live. Like my local Nextdoor was aggressively liberal and bland, which is pretty much exactly what I expected. Even the anti-homeless people were careful in how they phrased their anti-homeless posts, and appeared to be outnumbered by more empathetic people. Much like this part of town, my local Nextdoor is profoundly boring.

That said, I disabled my account even though I'd used a pseudonym because it required too much of my street address to show, and gently caress that privacy violating bullshit.

There's trump flags about, Nazi flags at one point, a "gently caress biden" pumkin at one house on Halloween, thin blue line flags, threeper stickers, etc scattered about for blocks. I'm pretty confident in my reservations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

There's trump flags about, Nazi flags at one point, a "gently caress biden" pumkin at one house on Halloween, thin blue line flags, threeper stickers, etc scattered about for blocks. I'm pretty confident in my reservations.

Oooooh, yeah, you'd definitely be jumping into an orgy of racism.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had an older coworker afraid to sign up to Facebook because of privacy concerns. I looked up his address, deed, mortgage, and appraisal using publically available county websites in front of him. Privacy is dead. He (I think his wife) now posts boring stuff on Facebook.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OGDanDogg posted:

I had an older coworker afraid to sign up to Facebook because of privacy concerns. I looked up his address, deed, mortgage, and appraisal using publically available county websites in front of him. Privacy is dead. He (I think his wife) now posts boring stuff on Facebook.

It's not necessarily about whether it's possible, but whether it's made easy and tied to things that attract attention to you.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Silver John posted:

There’s a fancy looking apartment building near the university of Washington called Lothlorien

Loftlorien would have been more on point

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

I used to work for a real estate organization and lemme tell you real estate marketers are the dumbest pieces of poo poo on the planet

Literal sixth graders could come up with better branding than they do

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not necessarily about whether it's possible, but whether it's made easy and tied to things that attract attention to you.

I also told him he's too boring to be a target. He said he initially felt bad, but then relieved.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Seth Pecksniff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

I used to work for a real estate organization and lemme tell you real estate marketers are the dumbest pieces of poo poo on the planet

Literal sixth graders could come up with better branding than they do

Been a while but you can really see how his jaw is clenched from all the coke.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

OGDanDogg posted:

are you proud of yourself for this?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I always got a kick out of the town name in Back to the Future -- Hill Valley

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Soul Dentist posted:

I always got a kick out of the town name in Back to the Future -- Hill Valley

I just got that. But then again, I grew up around a place called Mount Hill.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

yikes! posted:

are you proud of yourself for this?

It's better to realize we're beyond the point of no return than to keep on thinking not using Facebook or Twitter or Insta or whatever actually means something (beyond potentially improving your own mental health, thats a fair and super valid reason to stay away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OGDanDogg posted:

I live on a very short, weird street, so this is a bigger concern than just being able to show Main Street or whatever. And I'd argue that the proper response to privacy being compromised is not to just shrug and blast your personal information hither and yon, but to each their own, I guess.

I mean, I have a Facebook account, but don't use it for much and am very conscious of what information I put out there. One piece of which is not my goddamn street address.