Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Milosh posted:

I had covid in September. I had gotten both shots with my last shot in February 2021. I’m thinking about waiting to get my next shot till the omicron variant comes through. what do ya think goons?

Why wait? Get a booster now and then if they make a modified Omicron booster get that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Milosh posted:

I had covid in September. I had gotten both shots with my last shot in February 2021. I’m thinking about waiting to get my next shot till the omicron variant comes through. what do ya think goons?

There's been a lot of interest in your case. We know from Theodora Hatziioannou's research that infection followed by two mRNA doses has an insanely effective immune response, enough to neutralize even something with the mutations of omicron, at least while they're still in your system. However, I don't know that I've seen a followup on two shots + breakthrough, and if that is the same as in the reverse or not.

https://twitter.com/theodora_nyc/status/1464257411582148608

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Bets on if the us will report a case before or after market close today?

Very frustrating knowing it's got to be here already, seeing many other countries clearly sequencing on the weekend, and crickets in the US. Meanwhile, huge travel weekend.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milosh posted:

Ha this doesn't make sense since a variant-specific omicron variant booster is months and months away.

You want to get one anyway due to antibody waning after 9 months and the Delta variant is still the most common strain floating around in the local population.

I'm hoping even if the new variant can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine response a big antibody increase from a 3rd booster shot would hopefully neutralize the virus.

Don't wait for the Kickstarter early access!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I do suspect that at least some of the Omicron panic is still based on Delta. Delta alone will with high certainty utterly break the US health system this winter and I guess most people with basic literacy and who believe in the existence of Europe realize that on some level. But you can't really acknowledge that, because all the important people have been saying it'll be fine.
Omicron looks pretty bad, but not on a level that it would force people to accept reality (yet). Yet the copium only got turned up to 100 a few days after the initial panic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

genericnick posted:

I do suspect that at least some of the Omicron panic is still based on Delta. Delta alone will with high certainty utterly break the US health system this winter and I guess most people with basic literacy and who believe in the existence of Europe realize that on some level. But you can't really acknowledge that, because all the important people have been saying it'll be fine.
Omicron looks pretty bad, but not on a level that it would force people to accept reality (yet). Yet the copium only got turned up to 100 a few days after the initial panic.

It's funny how even superior nations like Germany already fell in the same traps and already having to due things like transferring patients out of hotspots due to hospital capacity burnout.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

that was me

I am in Los Angeles and have gotten lots of stares, but the only things people have said to me are compliments. The best is a wide eyed kid exclaiming how cool it was

That's so rad lol.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Did anyone catch this on CNN earlier? Kinda weird...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Email from HR just came through

quote:

Subject: Masks

Team,

Please ensure you're wearing masks while in the common areas of our facility or of you cannot maintain a social distance of at least 6-feet.

Thank you,
Human Resources

Yes, it is signed "Human Resources"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jemand posted:

Bets on if the us will report a case before or after market close today?

Very frustrating knowing it's got to be here already, seeing many other countries clearly sequencing on the weekend, and crickets in the US. Meanwhile, huge travel weekend.

Technically after. No one was at work for the last 4 days, so it will be around Wednesday after the market closes.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Milosh posted:

mRNA seems to be good for 5 months-ish.

you have drastically reduced protection against the most common and deadly circulating variant.

boost, dummy!!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nothus posted:

Lol if he suddenly comes up with the $600 he still owes everyone

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What about ADE? I had my last dose - full third dose - of slutjuice in late August. Was planning on getting dose 4 or a booster - more Maderna like the prior jabs - in late December but if ADE is a thing isn’t that bad?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1465319159441596424?s=19

nothing to see here

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What about ADE? I had my last dose - full third dose - of slutjuice in late August. Was planning on getting dose 4 or a booster - more Maderna like the prior jabs - in late December but if ADE is a thing isn’t that bad?

Don't worry about ADE, but also I wouldn't really go for another before the end of another 5 months.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

it’s everywhere already lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

new variant? Say the name drat it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bowser posted:

Did anyone catch this on CNN earlier? Kinda weird...

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s everywhere already lmao

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

18 days from "hey this new sequence looks weird" to community spread thousands of miles away on another continent

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

must be the instructional dvd that came with the bidet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sure it's entirely feasible that it's isolated only to Scotland somehow
and those other countries

or it's out and they know and they're not saying

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spoondick posted:

18 days from "hey this new sequence looks weird" to community spread thousands of miles away on another continent

18 days of some places being "hey this is reported, maybe we should check some of the stuff we weren't sequencing have to see if it's over here--- ah, oops"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm sure it's entirely feasible that it's isolated only to Scotland somehow
and those other countries

or it's out and they know and they're not saying

Of course those degenerates would get it, but God's grace shines upon my people and He will protect us

*cough cough cough*

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I've had two coworkers in ten minutes tell me that they are glad Omicron is just a mild variant which means the pandemic is over

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone asked if the same tech, that is only protected by copyright and practicalities of deploying safe medicine, used for producing MRNA medications could also be utilized to modify a coronavirus itself?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Spoondick posted:

COP 26 was in Glasgow and the UK government lifted all restrictions on travel quarantine for it. If its in Glasgow then its global.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

I thought Tik Toks were supposed to embed.

They embed just fine for nice posters. The forums algorithms have assessed your posting history and have decided to withhold your TikTok embededness permissions, sorry you had to find out like this. :(

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7033873726542302470

TikTok format their urls in several different ways, you want to copy/paste the one that ends in a string of numbers like this:

... which the forums automatically reconfigure as this:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

The real lesson from COVID climate change is that a huge number of working scientists in positions to impact policy actually don't give a poo poo about how science is supposed to function at all. Literally just throwing the inconvenient parts of the scientific method into the trash if it means acknowledging a reality that makes them uncomfortable or if it means suggesting anything approaching real caution.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sextro posted:

Has anyone asked if the same tech, that is only protected by copyright and practicalities of deploying safe medicine, used for producing MRNA medications could also be utilized to modify a coronavirus itself?

Nah.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
thank u Joe for understanding that the virus can't come into the country on the weekends

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Have to assume ADE would make itself known very quickly, if vaccinated people start showing up in hospitals at higher rates with worse outcomes than unvaccinated ie the opposite of current circumstances. If you were planning a booster at the end of December then there should more info by then anyway. Also Delta's still around and very much a thing too.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:golfclap:

Serf
May 5, 2011

getting my second booster today. gonna try and get a flu shot while i'm there too

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao at the number of tests that are tested for variants in NYC

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Serf posted:

getting my second booster today. gonna try and get a flu shot while i'm there too

idk your area but walgreens will give out flu shots for free while walmart will try to charge like 50 bucks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
16 days after COP26 and there's Omicron in Scotland? it's like the Rainbow Six novel where the Sydney Olympics is used to disperse Ultra Ebola across the whole globe

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1465291111073734664

gonna get some details on how we are closely monitoring the doing of nothing

what the gently caress is this old gently caress doing before 11:45am isn’t he up at 6:30 trying to buy groceries with a check?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

wow, mad respect for omicron going for the decapitation first strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
there's going to be a huge covid surge every year with fewer and fewer people remaining in hospital jobs so a larger portion of covid patients are going to die each year
Lmao