Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I wonder if they'll cut some forsaken. Thirteen seems like too many to care about, especially with how comic booky some of their deaths are handled. I also wonder if they've considered implementing Taimandred at all. rafe is a proper book nerd and would be at least aware of the theory. I can't believe we're halfway done with season 1 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i'm 100% sure that taimandred was the original plan, but people figured it out, so he changed it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I wonder how well some of the Aes Sedai phrasing translates into other languages in translations of the book. Stuff like how Moraine introduces herself as Mistress Alys by saying "you may call me Mistress Alys" which is technically true in that you can call her anything, but if a language doesn't have a frequently used equivalent phrasing for a normal response to a question about your name. I'm sure most languages would be able to say it, but it might sound really weird unlike English where it's a completely normal way to respond to a request for your name.

I'm sure a bunch of their other lies without lying are also difficult to translate in ways that don't sound really weird simply because there is no common way to respond to the question without lying in that language.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

ChubbyChecker posted:

i'm 100% sure that taimandred was the original plan, but people figured it out, so he changed it

Was the reveal before or after Sanderson took over? Some of the later books get real hazy during The Slog for me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's true. They found in RJ's notes that Taim was originally Demandred

e: link if you're bored, https://www.theoryland.com/forums/discussion/8767

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 29, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Was the reveal before or after Sanderson took over? Some of the later books get real hazy during The Slog for me.

hah same, can't remember

Barreft posted:

:tipshat:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I think it's confirmed in book 9 when Demandred shows up at Shadar Logoth and doesn't recognize the Ashamon with Rand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'll be interesting just to see how they condense everything over the next 4 episodes. I mean they've gotta get the whole group to Tar Valon and still have to meet up with Loial and then somehow end with the Dragon Reborn being Rand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

e: link if you're bored, https://www.theoryland.com/forums/discussion/8767

Are the notes he's refering to still available somewhere? The blog link is broken.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Are the notes he's refering to still available somewhere? The blog link is broken.

Probably, I'm too busy to google better for them atm, they're the notes that's at his house that Terez has read personally. You can trust Terez though.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I knew it!

As for book bloat, Crossroads of Twilight is pretty much just the react video to Winter's Heart. They won't need anything like a season each in the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's not a matter of trust or distrust, I've just never heard about these notes until now and I'm curious as to what else is in them

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Partner takes! We sat down and watched up to current:

- Doesn't like that Perrin's wife got refrigerator'd.
- Loves Nyneave and thinks she will be the DR
- Hates Rands personality and thinks he's a toxic lovely boyfriend
- Saw the whitecloaks and was like "oh so that's the police"
- Not a fan of the Roma-coding of the Tinkers.
- Is hooked after episode 4

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Those are all completely reasonable reactions imo!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CainFortea posted:

It's not a matter of trust or distrust, I've just never heard about these notes until now and I'm curious as to what else is in them

Here's a cool link

https://wot-notes.tumblr.com/

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed! I also like them fleshing out Lan & Nynaeve, whose romance is kinda out of left field a bit.

The Expanse did this too--by which I mean bringing in some characters early and/or giving them increased roles to make their later plot points less jarring--and it worked there, too!

I've also been noticing some structural similarities to how the Expanse handled its adaptation, and I like it a lot. Those books aren't nearly as hard to translate to screen, but if they do a similarly good job here translating the dozens of side characters into a few solid secondary characters like they did with Drummer, Cotyar, and Ashford I'll be very pleased.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol it is

3)After Rand decides that he is indeed the Dragon his first ally will be Morgase, who becomes his lover for a time. This makes Galad his bitter opponent, and eventually sends Galad over to Sha’tan.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jaxyon posted:

- Loves Nyneave and thinks she will be the DR
- Hates Rands personality and thinks he's a toxic lovely boyfriend

I really am wondering how non-readers are going to take the reveal.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I wonder if they'll cut some forsaken. Thirteen seems like too many to care about, especially with how comic booky some of their deaths are handled. I also wonder if they've considered implementing Taimandred at all. rafe is a proper book nerd and would be at least aware of the theory. I can't believe we're halfway done with season 1 already.

Agree with cutting the Forsaken down. There's not enough seasons/episodes to flesh them all out. Here's what I think would be a decent set:

- Ishamael/Moridin - must keep (obivously), plus we know him by name in the show
- Aginor/Balthamel - either cut completely or merge to one that gets ganked by Rand at the end of this season at the Eye. I'd cut both except having one battle Rand would be cinematic, finalize the Dragon Reborn reveal, and provides an introduction to the Forsaken themselves. I would dispense with their resurrection characters. Osangar/Aranger do very little in the grand scheme of things, and Arangar has some uncomfortable implications.
- Be'lal - I think cut completely. This makes me sad to write, since I loving love Moiraine shanking him with balefire, but he's barely a character, and you have the climactic battle with Ishamael at the Stone anyways.
- Lanfear - must keep. Adds so much, does a lot to provide LTT backstory, and has an epic showdown. I wonder if you don't bother with her "resurrection" either. Maybe she gets freed accidentally when Mat frees Moiraine instead of the Cyndane resurrection.
- Sammael/Rahvin - merge into one. I'd keep the death as Rahvin's because it's awesome.
- Demandred - keep, possibly doing the whole Taimandred thing. The Dark forces need some leader/general at the last battle to be the foil to Mat/the armies of Light. The main reason not to merge Taim and Demandred is because they both have great endings.
- Asmodean - keep. He fills that important sympathetic villain role. Most of the Forsaken come across as cartoonish, but Asmodean provides a good contrast to that.
- Mesaana/Moghedien/Graendal/Semirhage - I'd merge these four down to two. Have one be Moghedien/Mesaana as the spy master/Black Ajah head, and one be Graendal/Semirhage as the manipulator/torturer. If they follow the books, I'd keep their deaths as the ones for Mesaana and Semirhage, and then give Lanfear the Last Battle duties (corrupting the Great Captains etc.).

That cuts down to 7 or 8, which is much more reasonable for the show. I also don't think there's enough room for the resurrections that aren't Ishy/Moridin.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 30, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We need Nynaeve with a good villain like Moghedien. Zoe is so good, she (I) needs Moggy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really am wondering how non-readers are going to take the reveal.

Yeah so Nyneave is really a product of fantasy tropes that RJ never really managed to rise above, and writers still don't rise above.

There's plenty of stories where there's a vastly more interesting female character that isn't the focus of the story because sexism is so ingrained in our society, that we must do yet another story about the white male chosen one.

The show is making it even worse because Rand is so toxic and so white.

----------

Re: Forsaken numbers.

You don't have to put a number on them, that's epic fantasy worldbuilding BS that never needed to be. Don't set a number on your Big Bad villains early on. Just spin them out as you need them. If you never get around to using some, nbd, if you need more, nbd.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

wat

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's no argument against having one-(ep)-and-done characters. It's not like there's a shortage of actors.

Now, logistically, you could have a problem with characters that just pops in to do one or two things a season and stretch out for 5 seasons. But again, there's plenty of characters that will do that already and it's not like playing a Forsaken character puts them in a special category on their own in that regard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
No matter who gets in and who gets cut we need us some drat Forsaken Social scenes :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rarity posted:

No matter who gets in and who gets cut we need us some drat Forsaken Social scenes :colbert:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There's no argument against having one-(ep)-and-done characters. It's not like there's a shortage of actors.

Now, logistically, you could have a problem with characters that just pops in to do one or two things a season and stretch out for 5 seasons. But again, there's plenty of characters that will do that already and it's not like playing a Forsaken character puts them in a special category on their own in that regard.

In GOT Beric Dondarrian was a random mook in s1, season 3 (4?) he was a new actor and fine. The Mountain had 3 actors in 4 seasons but all anyone remembers is Hafthor. Daario, etc. Normal people don't really obsess over things like this like we do.

e: Mat's obviously an outlier, they luckily have the benefit of the dagger and Mordeth so we'll see

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barreft posted:

In GOT Beric Dondarrian was a random mook in s1, season 3 (4?) he was a new actor and fine. The Mountain had 3 actors in 4 seasons but all anyone remembers is Hafthor. Daario, etc. Normal people don't really obsess over things like this like we do.

e: Mat's obviously an outlier, they luckily have the benefit of the dagger and Mordeth so we'll see

Beric had about 5 seconds of screentime, the Mountain about 3 minutes and the only important thing he did was cut the head off a horse. It's different than replacing characters who've had big scenes and memorable moments

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Barreft posted:

Right, I mean, plus there's a kind of character arc completion reward that involves offing a Forsaken or some other major agent of the Dark. Cut down the number of Forsaken and some main characters are going to get shortchanged and nobody wants that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

Beric had about 5 seconds of screentime, the Mountain about 3 minutes and the only important thing he did was cut the head off a horse. It's different than replacing characters who've had big scenes and memorable moments

Yeah like I said re: Mat

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also I would probably literally pay Rafe Judkins to get to play Be'lal and deliver the "I once beat you in a game of stones" speech and then have Rosamund Pike tai chi balefire me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also I would probably literally pay Rafe Judkins to get to play Be'lal and deliver the "I once beat you in a game of stones" speech and then have Rosamund Pike tai chi balefire me.

lol Be'lal should be Sean Bean

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Barreft posted:

lol Be'lal should be Sean Bean

It's perfect, we need this

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Right, I mean, plus there's a kind of character arc completion reward that involves offing a Forsaken or some other major agent of the Dark. Cut down the number of Forsaken and some main characters are going to get shortchanged and nobody wants that.

Depends how you do it. Let's say we merge Moghedien and Mesaana into one character. You can still have Nynaeve triumphing over Moghedien twice (in Tanchico and then capturing her in Salidar) and Egwene's triumph over Mesaana but have it all involve the same Forsaken without removing any of the arc of Nynaeve or Egwene.

A good chunk of the Forsaken kills are Rand's (5 if I am counting right, not including Arangar or Moridin) and I don't think anyone is going to complain that he is being shortchanged if you merge Sammael and Rahvin.

I think my concern is that with so many Forsaken over 8 seasons, the impact of each becomes lessened and then the impact of the main character arc that goes through them is lessened.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I mean picture this, gently caress, Moiraine nukes Be'lal, Rand takes the sword, and then loving Ishamel steps through the shadows like loving Jacquio at the end of Ninja Gaiden 2 after you murk Ashtar

it would be a crime to gently caress this up by reducing any of it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gully Foyle posted:

Depends how you do it. Let's say we merge Moghedien and Mesaana into one character. You can still have Nynaeve triumphing over Moghedien twice (in Tanchico and then capturing her in Salidar) and Egwene's triumph over Mesaana but have it all involve the same Forsaken without removing any of the arc of Nynaeve or Egwene.

A good chunk of the Forsaken kills are Rand's (5 if I am counting right, not including Arangar or Moridin) and I don't think anyone is going to complain that he is being shortchanged if you merge Sammael and Rahvin.

I think my concern is that with so many Forsaken over 8 seasons, the impact of each becomes lessened and then the impact of the main character arc that goes through them is lessened.

On the contrary, both are diminished because the Forsaken has been defeated already. It's fairly important that Nynaeve defeats Moghedien soundly multiple times as part of her own character arc. She broke Moghedien. Having Egwene break her later diminishes both Nynaeve and Egwene.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gully Foyle posted:

Unless i'm forgetting some later book stuff, Mesaana is mostly irrelevant if you need to cut characters.

Like, I guess textually she's a huge influence in the Black Ajah and the Tower, but none of it is on screen or has to be her. It can very easily just be Black Ajah people being evil and getting marching orders from other Forsaken.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

has 8 seasons been confirmed as the cap? i would hope season 2 has 10 episodes at least

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

Unless i'm forgetting some later book stuff, Mesaana is mostly irrelevant if you need to cut characters.

Like, I guess textually she's a huge influence in the Black Ajah and the Tower, but none of it is on screen or has to be her. It can very easily just be Black Ajah people being evil and getting marching orders from other Forsaken.

'a forsaken is leading the black ajah within the white tower' is not a cuttable plot line imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

'a forsaken is leading the black ajah within the white tower' is not a cuttable plot line imo

Right, and the boomerang arc of Mesaana wrecking Siuan, and Siuan training her replacement to come in and crush Mesaana is a Great loving Arc. Removing Mesaana definitely hurts the conclusion of the White Tower arcs.