Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghostnuke posted:

has anyone bought one of these prusa enclosures? thinking about grabbing one as my wife is always complaining about the noise.

Get a divorce.

EDIT: Or move the printer to a room where your wife won't hear it.

What the hell, do you have it in the bedroom or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Time to flush all the orbeez I use to dry my filament down the crapper. What could go wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSJetzqLIE

I think the big disaster part of this video turned out to be faked for the views, but I don't care because it's still a wonderful story.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

has anyone bought one of these prusa enclosures? thinking about grabbing one as my wife is always complaining about the noise.

with sound

https://i.imgur.com/0FPQclW.mp4

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

Have you tried setting it on a heavy paver stone? That extra mass goes a long ways towards damping out the resonance between the motor vibrations and a flimsy desk/table surface.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My Octopi has just dropped off the network 9 hours into a 10-hour print and even though I know it doesn't need network access to complete the print I'm experiencing levels of stress normally only faced by fighter pilots.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm experiencing levels of stress normally only faced by fighter pilots.

Gee-whiz

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

lol I just want to know if the enclosure is any good / worth it

the printer is in my dining room, which is adjacent to the tv watching room, so she gets annoyed when we watch things.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghostnuke posted:

lol I just want to know if the enclosure is any good / worth it

the printer is in my dining room, which is adjacent to the tv watching room, so she gets annoyed when we watch things.

See above about putting it on something that isn't a table that will amplify any vibration sounds.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

yes, ok but is the enclosure any good

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know anybody that bothers with 3rd party enclosures that can speak to whether that thing will dampen the noise any more than popping the printer into a $20 popup greenhouse (the kind intended for single plants).

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'll be honest, the enclosure is a lot more likely to fly with the wife than me plopping some random chunk of cement on the buffet table. Is there anything similar that doesn't look like something I found in the alley?

mewse
May 2, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I don't know anybody that bothers with 3rd party enclosures that can speak to whether that thing will dampen the noise any more than popping the printer into a $20 popup greenhouse (the kind intended for single plants).

The creality soft enclosure probably fits a prusa fine too, cheaper than that french kit

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I mean, it's also useful for temp control for ABS and odor filtration yeah? I don't want to sound like I've already made up my mind, I'm just spitballing. maybe I could fab something up out of steel...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

The creality soft enclosure probably fits a prusa fine too, cheaper than that french kit

I have one of those and it does jack poo poo for noise reduction (specifically for the CR-10).

Ghostnuke posted:

I'll be honest, the enclosure is a lot more likely to fly with the wife than me plopping some random chunk of cement on the buffet table. Is there anything similar that doesn't look like something I found in the alley?

It doesn't have to be cement.

You could also get a big section of insulating foam board and put the printer on top of that (or trim it so that it sits neatly under the printer and picks it up off the table).

The main thing is to put something between the big sound-channeling/amplifying table and the printer to interrupt the vibration flow without putting something that the printer mechanical bits can get caught on under it.

You could almost put a folded blanket under it and get the same effect if the Y-axis wouldn't snag on it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prusa Mini+ finally ordered :toot: should arrive sometime early next year.

I was planning to get it last winter, but a bunch of poo poo was happening, and by summer I decided I might as well wait for november for the free shipping...joke's on me, they decided to do free shipping for everything except the Mini this year, I could have been printing cuttlefish for my daughter all fall.

Excited to finally retire my MP Mini Delta and its terrible, terrible autocalibrator, though.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I was just thinking about maybe a chunk of a granite countertop off cut and those squashball feet

mewse
May 2, 2006

Noise can't travel through a vacuum, do you have a vacuum?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

what model dyson is best 3d printer upgrade

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

what model dyson is best 3d printer upgrade

i'm hearing big things about the sphere

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

I was just thinking about maybe a chunk of a granite countertop off cut and those squashball feet

I found next to my dumpster a massive piece of discarded faux-stone countertop and a matching sheet of foam padding that in combination were basically a mute button for my printer resting on a flimsy card table.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bad boys for life posted:

Anyone have a model or something I can buy that will sit on a spool on a prusa enclosure and let me stick dehydration beads in there with it while I print? If I do long prints > 24 hours, some of my spools will start stringing, ruining a long print job.

I was hoping I could keep the spool drying while its in use on longer prints to avoid stringing and ruining them.

I use something similar to this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4682691
Filled with this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Desiccant-Indicating-Industry-Standard/dp/B01I5Y2DG6?th=1

More than enough to keep my nylons from picking up moisture.

Some people add reptile heating mats for a more active drying:
https://www.amazon.ca/Zilla-10809-Reptile-Terrarium-Medium/dp/B002Z5Q4HG?th=1
Been meaning to do this but :effort:

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 29, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
nth'ing the Home Depot paver stone for $4 being a huge boon to noise reduction. So much so I have to replace the wobbly table its all sitting on with something more solid.

You can also print the tpu or similar thin feet or pop it on a big thick insulation block

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Roundboy posted:

nth'ing the Home Depot paver stone for $4 being a huge boon to noise reduction. So much so I have to replace the wobbly table its all sitting on with something more solid.

You can also print the tpu or similar thin feet or pop it on a big thick insulation block

While you're at Home Depot, some combination of these may also be handy:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-24-in-x-24-in-x-2-in-Base-Water-Heater-WHB1/312669949 on just your regular old table, or put it on top of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-21-in-D-x-21-25-in-W-x-18-in-H-Water-Heater-Stand-86278/205365245

If you really want to eliminate vibration transfer.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roundboy posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3044013

I printed something similar to these:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3044013
They work awesome.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Are PETG and PLA safe to put in my dishwasher? A minor part on my dishwasher broke and I want to print a simple replacement.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Short answer: No (not if you run anything like a sanitize option during the washing cycle).

ASA might be the only one reasonably easy to print that would hold up but even that would be iffy for long-term use.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Short answer: No (not if you run anything like a sanitize option during the washing cycle).

ASA might be the only one reasonably easy to print that would hold up but even that would be iffy for long-term use.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it for anything that's going to be taking any kind of load - even without a drying cycle they can hit 70 or 80 centigrade, plus also alkali, abrasive detergent and high pressure water being sprayed around.

Maybe knock up a mould out of PLA (or TPU if you need it to be flexible to get the part out) and use it to make something out of epoxy?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean, what plastic do they make the dishwashers out of

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

While you're at Home Depot, some combination of these may also be handy:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-24-in-x-24-in-x-2-in-Base-Water-Heater-WHB1/312669949 on just your regular old table, or put it on top of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-21-in-D-x-21-25-in-W-x-18-in-H-Water-Heater-Stand-86278/205365245

If you really want to eliminate vibration transfer.

I have an old lovely target end table, that could probably just be tightened. But I like the Lack? ikea table everyone apparently uses. That metal stand would be pretty sweet though if my local HD had them

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

I mean, what plastic do they make the dishwashers out of

Well mine's aluminium. The plastic bits are *probably* polypropylene because it's dirt cheap and resistant to anything you're ever likely to put in a dishwasher, and the seals are presumably nitrile rubber for the same reason.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
welp, managed to crash my Mars Pro printing bed into the tank’s edge for the first time b/c i somehow knocked it badly out of tram without noticing. I start the print, turn around to do sth else and suddenly the z-column stepper is squealing horribly and I have to unplug the thing. god dammit. i haven’t had the heart to see if the LCD is broken, I didn’t install a screen protector because I haven’t needed one (until now maybe), but it looks like it caught the edge of the tank with the bed edge vs. the corner of the bed hitting the tank bottom+lcd and all i’ll have to do is file any gouging out of the edges of the bed/tank. guess it was bound to happen eventually, after a couple of beers even moreso

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

welp, managed to crash my Mars Pro printing bed into the tank’s edge for the first time b/c i somehow knocked it badly out of tram without noticing. I start the print, turn around to do sth else and suddenly the z-column stepper is squealing horribly and I have to unplug the thing. god dammit. i haven’t had the heart to see if the LCD is broken, I didn’t install a screen protector because I haven’t needed one (until now maybe), but it looks like it caught the edge of the tank with the bed edge vs. the corner of the bed hitting the tank bottom+lcd and all i’ll have to do is file any gouging out of the edges of the bed/tank. guess it was bound to happen eventually, after a couple of beers even moreso

I've had this happen 3 times now. In my case, the first time it caught on the vat screws and this caused the plate to go diagonal and plow straight into the LCD destroying it. Even if your screen is ok I would definitely change out your FEP and filter your resin.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I got an Ender 3 last week and trying to level it is driving me crazy. I upgraded the springs which helped some but I cannot get the right middle (looking at the front) of the bed to level no matter what I adjust. If everything else is level, it is too high and blocks the extruder. If I adjust everything else to where it’s finally level, there’s no adhesion because nothing else is close enough to the extruder.

Anyone had an issue like this where a specific part of the middle of the bed is higher than everything else?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it's a dented bed.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Sounds like it's a dented bed.

It's an Ender 3, all the beds are dented, even the glass ones.

Source: Neither the aluminum plate or glass plate are flat on my Ender 3 V2. At first I just dialed it in so the filament wasn't happy anywhere and let it rip. I ended up going over it with a straightedge and flashlight and put down tape on my magnet bed to try and even it out a bit, which helped a ton.

Edit: Actually looking at it, the glass sheet is flat, but it just conforms to the aluminum bed. You should just be able to shim under the glass or under the older style bed if you have that. Masking tape works great, some people recommend aluminum foil, but I haven't had any uneven heat issues.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 30, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That foil HVAC tape works really well for shimming and temperature transfer purposes, too.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Good suggestions. I was just using the out of the box bed cover so I'll try the glass plate and then shim where necessary. This thing has just been a pain in the rear end already since it arrived. Broken SD slot lock, possibly dented bed, and metal for the base is ever so slightly warped on the front left so it doesn't sit flat and needs a shim.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got some fine hairy stringing problems, even with a direct drive extruder. I've calibrated my e-steps, and I've been futzing a lot with retraction distance and speed. Seems like the only real fix is 8mm distance at 100mm/sec speed, but that seems like a LOT for direct drive. Is there an equivalent of the Simplify3D guide for stringing but for Cura? I'm not sure how to implement some of the slicer settings it suggests.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Switch to PrusaSlicer and give the default profiles a shot (after doing the machine setup for whatever printer you are using).

Seriously the filament profiles are really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

Granite slab is good, but the furniture foam is an important part. It has to be something really squishy to absorb the vibration. The slabs are to aggregate or cancel small vibrations, and the foam nukes the large ones. Adding rigidity to the foam (as in squash balls) will transfer more energy to the table.

Drape a cloth over the setup if foam or stone are ugly.