Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

Oof, some video game show beat wheel of time? Lame.

Arcane also was having its season finale at the same time, so it had a whole season already to grow buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How are u posted:

Very popular video game people still play today VS book series that finished nearly 9 years ago :shrug:

Also the people playing League will be more plugged in to the internet to see ads for it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait is there new mandalorian or stranger things?

It's measuring demand, not viewership

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gwaihir posted:

Arcane is legit very good, even as someone that doesn't play league at all.

Echoing this, although I did play League, it has nothing to do with the show. Show is worth a watch. Its only 9 episodes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's measuring demand, not viewership

How do you even do that?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Eh im just not into animation since I hit my 20s.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

How do you even do that?

Probably surveys, have a list and ask people to rank them in order from most anticipated to least, I imagine.

e: reading that article and this quote stood out to me and vindicates my preference for weekly releases :colbert: :

quote:

The hybrid release schedule seems to have also worked, since most Netflix series peak in demand after two to four days of availability before dropping off; however, in the case of Arcane, audience demand for it increased exponentially (up 228%) among American audiences between November 6 – November 21.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 30, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

How are u posted:

Same

Forbes posted:

the fact that The Wheel of Time is tracking about even with an A-lister filled MCU Disney Plus series is a victory in its own right, and aligns with Amazon’s public statements about how well The Wheel of Time is doing for them

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=6318c02f2ce7

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How are u posted:

This is a weird punch to throw in a fantasy book thread.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

socialsecurity posted:

This is a weird punch to throw in a fantasy book thread.

As an adult person I don't like animation. Now let me enjoy this CGI

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just feels like a really strange thing to me these days especially. There's a ton of awesome stuff that happens to be animated. Star Trek: Lower Decks has been one of the best shows to come out in the last couple years to me. There's a shitload of stuff out there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

The show is actually good in spite of its video game origins.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RC Cola posted:

was gonna say... every channeling sequence is like 90% animation

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

:yeah:

I liked pokemon as a young kid but that was about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's almost as popular as Hawkeye!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=4222e9f32ce7

(This is actually really good as the MCU is such a huge, huge brand)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

To say Arcane is the best videogame adaptation ever is to really undersell it. The plot/characters are solidly in "drat, this is pretty good" territory, but the animation and visuals are god-tier. You could compare this to Miyazaki or Spider-verse, it's that good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wing Commander is the best video game adaptation.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Wing Commander is the best video game adaptation.

we're siblings now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

To say Arcane is the best videogame adaptation ever is to really undersell it. The plot/characters are solidly in "drat, this is pretty good" territory, but the animation and visuals are god-tier. You could compare this to Miyazaki or Spider-verse, it's that good.

This is Detective Pikachu erasure

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

we're siblings now

Pilgrim means family.

Rarity posted:

This is Detective Pikachu erasure

I totally forgot about that, yea, that's a great adaptation as well.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

My exact thoughts seeing that chart

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

I know nothing about league of legends, Arcane is good.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TITANS beat Squid Game?!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

On second looking at that chart, I now know it's a fake.

I can not believe that anyone is demanding Discovery.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ad090 posted:

I think the main problem people have with it is if they try and follow the exact same timeline from the books in regards to Perrin getting together with Faile. From what I've read it's like a year and two months from the start of the first book to the end of the third where they get together officially. I don't know how long it would take me to get over the guilt and trauma of killing my own wife, but I think most people feel a year and change isn't realistic. I don't know how I'll feel about double mopey Perrin during the shaido chase arc, where he's feeling extreme guilt and anger over Faile's abduction, and now with the show the ever present guilt of killing his first wife.

This is all assuming of course that they don't make any changes to that storyline which I think is unlikely.

This is part of the reason I think having Perrin be married is just so bizzare. She's a complete non-character, exists for Perrin to kill her to start the whole hammer vs axe plot line and then gets referenced as far as I remember once or twice in passing since.

I hope they don't ditch Faile in general. I know she annoyed the heck out of a lot of readers but I always sort of dug their plot line and enjoyed the way their relationship develops. Though I think I might be in the minority there

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Havent they cast someone with a very faile nose already?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This is part of the reason I think having Perrin be married is just so bizzare. She's a complete non-character, exists for Perrin to kill her to start the whole hammer vs axe plot line and then gets referenced as far as I remember once or twice in passing since.

I hope they don't ditch Faile in general. I know she annoyed the heck out of a lot of readers but I always sort of dug their plot line and enjoyed the way their relationship develops. Though I think I might be in the minority there

I like Faile, she's fun and its not her fault that the Shaido storyline happened just because she was a major character in it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CainFortea posted:

On second looking at that chart, I now know it's a fake.

I can not believe that anyone is demanding Discovery.

It got three seasons somehow.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I like Faile, she's fun and its not her fault that the Shaido storyline happened just because she was a major character in it.

Yeah if I was going to make one change it'd be to GREATLY condense the whole Shaido part. It just drags on so long

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Just started its 4th.

Also, how can anyone hate Faile when she comes with Bain, Chiad and Gaul?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Havent they cast someone with a very faile nose already?

Nah, no one's cast that seems likely (other than Elayne basically all the recent ones have been aged 30+)

Sanguinia posted:

lol wotshow is going to have so much poly representation by the time it's over

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

3rd season was good. Fourth is off to a good start. Feel free to ignore the first two seasons, much like I do with most of TNG.

Replace "season" with "episode" for my WoT show general opinion.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Through the power of tears and mushrooms apparently. And cannonical dual penis klingons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finishing Shadow Rising and Nyaeve just took on one of the forsaken and won! Bad rear end moment that I hope they show eventually,

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah if I was going to make one change it'd be to GREATLY condense the whole Shaido part. It just drags on so long

Time dilation effect, books 9 through 11 take place within 2 months.

It's not going to be 7 years of Perrin in the woods, guys.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hollismason posted:

Finishing Shadow Rising and Nyaeve just took on one of the forsaken and won! Bad rear end moment that I hope they show eventually,

Real Bikke the Pirate energy in that fight.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Sanguinia posted:

Just started its 4th.

Wrong. Bain, Chiad, and Gaul come with Faile. They merely tolerate her.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Probably people watching them because of a new tie-in (that Boba Fett thing) or rewatching the old seasons because the new one drops soon.

As far as Perrin's wife in the show, it seems like just a clumsy way to layer his character a bit and give him some easily conveyed motivation to be so wary of violence and reserved/protective towards Faile when they get together.

If she ends up being a darkfriend later on then cool I guess but at the end of the day I don't think it matters much.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

latinotwink1997 posted:

Wrong. Bain, Chiad, and Gaul come with Faile. They merely tolerate her.

I like this answer the best. I pose the change though that we *all* merely tolerate Faile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Langolas posted:

I like this answer the best. I pose the change though that we *all* merely tolerate Faile.

Nah, Faile's great