Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Pike's an acme/Plan9 goober, 'cmon.

I once worked with a dude who was super into Pike's stuff and used acme. No syntax highlighting and not even a monospace font, just bizarre poo poo.

He was super duper racist and the worst coworker I've ever had and made every woman in the office incredibly uncomfortable. Once called me a "maria worshiper" for being from a catholic family.

So when I think of Rob Pike I think of golang and that dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i don't like python's for/else. i always expect it to hit the else clause if the thing being iterated over was empty and that's not at all what it is.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

i don't like python's for/else. i always expect it to hit the else clause if the thing being iterated over was empty and that's not at all what it is.

Yeah it's really weird and that's a super common misconception. When we were a python shop we had a moratorium on using it precisely because of that.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I've never seen it used in the wild

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

it does work exactly like that, however. else clause of for loops executes in every single scenario excluding an explicit invocation of break

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

agreed but things that are empty are falsey, so you can just use an "or" which looks better too

e: I think the complaint is that in conversational english the "else" implies an exclusivity that is not reflected in the logic

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

12 rats tied together posted:

agreed but things that are empty are falsey, so you can just use an "or" which looks better too

im just clarifying how it works. imo you should never use it in a shared codebase purely because it’s an incredibly uncommon control flow construct with straightforward and more explicit alternatives

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it does work exactly like that, however. else clause of for loops executes in every single scenario excluding an explicit invocation of break

fine add "only" before the word if

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fortaleza posted:

IME the people that actively dislike emacs are the same sort that think of laziness as a virtue and just aren't reliable. Which is fine I guess, it's just a job.

Not the sort of people you want to listen to if you want your ceiling to be higher than mediocre though.

so the good people are the ones just like you?

Xarn posted:

To be constructive for once, I think I am pretty okay at writing meaningful release notes, but I write them during releases... And that's hurt me lately, because suddenly I have 300 commits since last release and I have to go through them now.

But I am getting better at writing release notes continually. :v:

probably just as well that you end up going over the commits again. good reason to write them nicely

Plorkyeran posted:

there isn't a hard limit, but the official git guidance is that the first line is the email subject and the rest is the body of the email, and you shouldn't be one of those people who writes the entire email in the subject

if the email fits in a reasonably short subject that sounds like success to me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also it should’ve been called “after”, i agree that “else” is awkward

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

fine add "only" before the word if

which word “if” :confused:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ive never worked with an emacs user who tries to commit trailing whitespace, 14 blank newlines at the end of a file, or several lines between classes that are themselves just random counts of whitespace characters for no reason

jfc who cares this much about some extraneous whitespace

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

e: I think the complaint is that in conversational english the "else" implies an exclusivity that is not reflected in the logic

"else" isn't really a word used in the programming jargon sense in conversational english at all. the story behind it is weird and it's apparently the result of a mistranslation from german.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

which word “if” :confused:

there's only one in that sentence.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also it should’ve been called “after”, i agree that “else” is awkward

yeah, after looks good

pokeyman posted:

so the good people are the ones just like you?
i think its pretty clear that OP is talking about treating your tools with care and applying effort to their configuration and maintenance, which across the history of time and civilization is one of the few things humans regard as objectively good, and the opposite as objectively bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

"else" isn't really a word used in the programming jargon sense in conversational english at all. the story behind it is weird and it's apparently the result of a mistranslation from german.

there's only one in that sentence.

oh sorry, im an idiot. you were referring to your initial message

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

i think its pretty clear that OP is talking about treating your tools with care and applying effort to their configuration and maintenance, which across the history of time and civilization is one of the few things humans regard as objectively good, and the opposite as objectively bad

It's this, but also mildly trolling :twisted:

But yes, for the record good programmers do as I do.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I miss working in python. We just do web service stuff so it fits nicely, but these days our main projects are golang and asp classic :shepicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fortaleza posted:

I miss working in python. We just do web service stuff so it fits nicely, but these days our main projects are golang and asp classic :shepicide:

that stack reminds me of my iconic nutella and salami sandwich

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

there isn't a hard limit, but the official git guidance is that the first line is the email subject and the rest is the body of the email, and you shouldn't be one of those people who writes the entire email in the subject

what does email ahve to do with source control?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shaggar posted:

what does email ahve to do with source control?

nothing, but it's what git was designed to handle and everyone started using git so that legacy unhelpfully leaks out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
show me a dev who lovingly curates their "classic" tools and I'll show you a team that gripes behind their back

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Fortaleza posted:

But yes, for the record good programmers do as I do.

Fortaleza posted:

We just do web service stuff so it fits nicely, but these days our main projects are golang and asp classic :shepicide:

:thunk:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

They're inherited projects, the commits I make on those absolute piles are good. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

HappyHippo posted:

jfc who cares this much about some extraneous whitespace
Our style guide at work mandates no extra whitespace. I just have VSCode configured to strip out trailing spaces when saving.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of classical tools, im a rebel so today i finally replaced vanilla zsh on mac and vanilla bash on wsl with fish

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i'm gonna switch to xonsh now. you have inspired me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you may only commit if you are holding the conch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'm gonna switch to xonsh now. you have inspired me

my vimrc is zero lines because i forgot to add fzf plugin

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Git commit message formatting "best practices" are a result of how Torvalds wants it done on the kernel repo, a realm full of people who actually do their mail through pine or mutt, are subscribed to mailing lists and know wtf a /var/spool is. Their editors have elegant, efficient and scriptable modal languages for navigating and manipulating plain text, but they can't do soft wrap, so the solution is a convention that first line has to be 50 chars max because else git log runs off the screen since these people also actually run their terminal emulators in 80x25 even though those emulators have supported resizing for over thirty years now. There's probably an instance of Torvalds wishing pestilence on an IC on LKML for every single of those conventions.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

General reminder that 80 width is insanely anti-semitic

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Captain Foo posted:

isn't the python formatter "black"'s default line length of 88 even more so?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ocean of Milk posted:

Git commit message formatting "best practices" are a result of how Torvalds wants it done on the kernel repo, a realm full of people who actually do their mail through pine or mutt, are subscribed to mailing lists and know wtf a /var/spool is. Their editors have elegant, efficient and scriptable modal languages for navigating and manipulating plain text, but they can't do soft wrap, so the solution is a convention that first line has to be 50 chars max because else git log runs off the screen since these people also actually run their terminal emulators in 80x25 even though those emulators have supported resizing for over thirty years now. There's probably an instance of Torvalds wishing pestilence on an IC on LKML for every single of those conventions.

80x25 terminals are the reason why python stdlib style guide is limits line length at 79 characters

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MrQueasy posted:

isn't the python formatter "black"'s default line length of 88 even more so?

i don’t know the reasoning for that selection so i cannot say

but it’s tough to beat 80 char width

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

:confused:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the era of 4k screens displaying 80x25 terminals

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Captain Foo posted:

Why?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the screens get bigger but the number of characters stays the same

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Shaggar posted:

yeah all my commit messages are written so future me can understand what i did

same, but all my code. I keep telling junior developers that the time they don’t spend today making their code readable instead of terse and understandable instead of clever (lol, like it ever will be) is just stealing time from themselves in the future. and that’s ok, it’s their life they are also free to start smoking if they want to enjoy today at the expense of their future. BUT they are also stealing my time, and every other developer that has to interact with that code and that is not ok.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

IBM 80-character punched cards were notably used during a well-known genocide, reducing people from the targeted groups to merely numbers in a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

you're gonna flip your poo poo when you find out what the us military uses computers for