Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I posted a request in the GBS "What's Your White Whale" Thread and someone there recommended that I also post my request here, so here goes:

I'm looking for a music video. It's some kind of death metal/metalcore thing (this would have been in the mid 2000's, maybe 2007? so I think that would be the right genre maybe?)

Anyway, from what I remember the video takes place in an old house, vaguely dungeon-like. I don't remember too much, but intercut with footage of the band is this story about two children playing together or falling in love or something, told in flashbacks. The thing that burned itself into my mind is the final shot of the video. A woman, heavily implied to be the same child from the flashback, now an old crone, reaching for the singer, but it plays out like a shadowplay on the dungeon wall. That image really stuck with me and I'd like to find the video again.

If there are any Canadagoons in the thread, I'm like 95% positive I saw this on MuchMusic back in the day.

Anyway, would be cool to see it again if it can be found.

Thanks!

The Help Me Identify a Song thread may be of use to you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

oh jeez I'm sorry, I didn't even see it. My bad. I'll edit my post.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

magic cactus posted:

oh jeez I'm sorry, I didn't even see it. My bad. I'll edit my post.

It’s fine! People may be more helpful with those specifics here! I don’t really care.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The lars toilet is going to be at the brass mug in tampa dec 3rd

https://www.cltampa.com/music/show-previews/article/21158468/you-can-use-metallicas-lars-ulrich-as-a-toilet-at-tampas-brass-mug-this-weekend

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Feast of Burden posted:

Since December is right around the corner, I figured I'd post my favorite albums of 2021 and see how they compare to everything else once I catch up with the rest of the stuff I've neglected this year:

1. The Night Eternal - Moonlit Cross
2. First Fragment - Gloire Éternelle
3. Seven Spires - Gods of Debauchery
4. Dream Unending - Tide Turns Eternal
5. Passéisme - Eminence

That's pretty much it right there! Looking forward to listening to what I've missed in this thread and elsewhere when everyone has their picks lined up.

my partner doesnt have an account here but he routinely asks me for recommendations from this thread and wanted me to join in and share his favourite albums of the year (so far):

1. Trhä - endlhëtonëg (Raw/Atmospheric Black Metal)
2. QRIXKUOR - Poison Palinopsia (Dissonant/Cavernous Death Metal)
3. Stormkeep - Tales Of Othertime (Symphonic-ish Black Metal)
4. Iniquitatem - Through Dead Forests, He Dwells (Funeral Doom Metal)
5. Panopticon - ...And Again Into The Light (Atmospheric Black Metal)
6. Auld Ridge - Consanguineous Tales of Bloodshed and Treachery (Black Metal)
7. ISKANDR - Vergezicht (Black Metal)
8. Fyrnask - VII - Kenoma (Atmospheric Black Metal)
9. Wardruna - Kvitravn (Norse Pagan Folk. Not metal, I know)
10. Pyre of Black Roses - Demo I (Raw Black Metal)
11. Gnipahålan/Evilfeast - Storm Av Rå Nordisk Dödskonst del II / Black Witchcraft Over Carpathia (split) (Atmospheric Black Metal)
12. Somme - Prussian Blood (Raw Black Metal)
13. Frozen Bloom - Olhava (Atmospheric Black metal)
14. Klanen - Coerced Into Desolate Eternity (Raw Black Metal)
15. Silent Thunder - Usurping The Halls Of Might and Splendour (demo) (Raw Black Metal)

edit: added links and cleaned it up a bit :p

rox fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 30, 2021

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
My top 11 alphabetically since that's easier than trying to rank them.

Anatomia - Corporeal Torment (death/doom)
Bæst - Necro Sapiens (death)
Cerebral Rot - Excretion of Mortality (death)
Creature - Eloge de l'Ombre (progressive black)
Dipygus - Bushmeat (death)
Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice (death)
Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell (death/doom)
Morbific - Ominous Seep of Putridity (death)
Thy Catafalque - Vadak (avant-garde black?)
Vertebra Atlantis - Lustral Purge in Cerulean Bliss (black/death)
200 Stab Wounds - Slave to the Scalpel (death)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm about to start re-listening to everything so this is in "order" but likely will change:

Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone (blackened screamo) and CHRISTFUCKER (sludge/black/doom/screamo)
Mefitis - Offscourings (weird death metal)
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined (death metal, obviously)
Between the Buried and Me - Colors II (prog metalcore)
Every Time I Die - Radical (metalcore)
Full of Hell - Garden of Burning Apparitions (deathgrind)
StarGazer - Psychic Secretions (prog/tech death)
Kayo Dot - Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike (avant-garde)
Conjureth - Majestic Dissolve (death metal)
Pupil Slicer - Mirrors (mathcore)

Really haven't had the time to listen to as much as I would have liked and it's too overwhelming to catch up on a lot of this until later!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The stuff I’ve listened to most this year is

Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell
Inhuman Condition - Rat God
Suffering Hour - The Cyclic Reckoning
Passeisme - Eminence
Rivers of Nihil - The Work
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
Portrayal of Guilt - CHRISTFUCKER
Ghost Bath - Self Loather

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I feel that while there was lots of good metal this year there was no great metal. I literally went "listen to the discography and buy an old album" more often then I went "buy that new album".

Anyways in no particular order, all meloblack/atmoblack adjacent:
Stormkeep - Tales of Othertime
Olhava - Frozen Bloom
Cân Bardd - Devoured by the Oak
Jess and the Ancient Ones - Vertigo
Havukruunu - Kuu Erkylän Yllä
Déhà - Ave Maria II

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sinister Monstrosities Spawned by the Unfathomable Ignorance of Humankind by Oxygen Destroyer

Metta Benevolence (BBC 6music Live session on the invitation of Mary Anne Hobbs) by Sunn O)))

Crypt of Ice by Frozen Soul

Black Harvest by Green Lung

Sinner by John 5

that's about it for me this year. Quiet year for metal.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

This is the way. By far the best of the year.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

List season means its time to click on every single name i dont recognize and add it to the backlog for December crunching.

Here's my top 10, 1 is 1 but the rest are alphabetical

-Warning - Watching from a Distance - Live at Roadburn 2017 (doom)
-Abominable Putridity - Parasitic Metamorphosis Manifestation (slamming tech death)
-Aorlhac - Pierres brûlées (meloblack)
-Bloodbound - Creatures of the Dark Realm (power metal)
-Dragony - Viribus Unitis (power metal)
-Drawn and Quartered - Congregation Pestilence (death metal)
-Helloween - Helloween (power metal)
-Hyperdontia - Hideous Entity (death metal)
-Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst (black metal)
-Ulthima - Symphony of the Night (melodeath)

EP shoutout
-Lorna Shore - ...And I Return to Nothingness (blackened deathcore)

Sitting at around 1,100 2021 albums/EPs rn, not shockingly almost all my favorites of the years are just from bands I already loved. At the very end of the year I might break down specific genre rankings on rym but the clear winners of the year are Warning, Spectral Wound, Ulthima and Helloween.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Sitting at around 1,100 2021 albums/EPs rn, not shockingly almost all my favorites of the years are just from bands I already loved.

Jesus Christ, I know you post all of the new releases but I didn't know you were actually listening to all of them.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I do a lot of sitting around at work okay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

How do you retain stuff or make time for older music?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

When I'm at work I usually listen to stuff I haven't heard before and keep track of what I really enjoyed and revisit it on the weekends when I can focus on it a bit more without multitasking, in the car and when I'm at home at night is for listening to stuff I've already heard/old favorites.

Lately as soon as I get home I just put on Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond through Nightfall in one go, and then an In Flames album or two.

Also can be answered as: I don't remember 99% of it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

I think you've listened to more albums this year than I have in my entire lifetime :staredog:

As for AOTY, there's a good number I want to catch up on, but the top 5 is pretty settled at the moment:

1. Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell
2. 200 Stab Wounds - Slave to the Scalpel
3. SeeYouSpaceCowboy - Romance of Affliction (much more -core than metal but w/e)
4. Atvm - Famine, Putrid and loving Endless
5. Galvanizer - Prying Sight of Imperception

Probably going to spin that Oxygen Destroyer album at some point tonight, it's been on my radar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ok yeah this Steel Bearing Hand rips and i am certain I will love this Oxygen Destroyer album on name and theme alone.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Oh cool time for lists! Only full lengths, basically all black metal. In no particular order:

Tardigrada - Vom Bruch bis zur Freiheit
Blinding Sun - The Magic Mountain
Nansarunai – Ultimul Rege
Paysage d’Hiver – Geister
Ungfell – Es Grauet
Shataan – Earth
Revenant Marquis – Below the Landsker Line
Spectral Wound – A Diabolic Thirst
Pan Amerikan Native Front – Little Turtle’s War
Passeisme - Eminence

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Apparently 2021 was a slow year in metal for me, I only grabbed ~15 albums from bandcamp. More of a -core standout year, ETID and BTBAM easily take the top spots. But I listened to these ones a lot as well.

Replicant - Malignant Reality (Dissonant Tech Death)
Opidian I - Desolate (Tech Death)
Black Mass - Feast at the Forbidden Tree (Thrash)
Alustrium - A Monument to Silence (Prog Death)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont have a fancy list bc i dont listen to much but i liked bonehunter’s latest and no one mentioned that

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
2021 Album of the Year goes to Dream Troll - Realm of the Tormentor

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my list so far:

Chamber Of Unlight - Realm Of The Night (bm)
Sijjin - Sumerian Promises (dm)
Nunslaughter - Red Is the Color of Ripping Death (dm)
Wharflurch - Psychedelic Realms ov Hell (dm)
200 Stab Wounds - Slave to the Scalpel (dm)
Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice (dm)
Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell (thrash)
Fluids - Not Dark Yet (dm)
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst (bm)

the ultimate king of the year for me, though:

Utter Scorn - Paroxysmal Endemia (dm)

enough cannot be said about this album. haven't been this into a record in a LONG time, hoping this guy does more poo poo soon.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Gio posted:

i dont have a fancy list bc i dont listen to much but i liked bonehunter’s latest and no one mentioned that

oh dang i forgot this was a thing which is why i love this wrapup time of the year!!!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im sure once malignant altar's release on the 10th comes out i'll be adding it to my list

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Are you all picking a favorite album for each month or something? There can only be ONE best album of 2021. Make a choice, you feckless wimps!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

4. Atvm - Famine, Putrid and loving Endless

Ended up relistening to this after spinning Oxygen Destroyer and it might actually be my #1 over Steel Bearing Hand. I forgot just how excellent it is, and I don't know how I haven't seen anyone else post about it when it's one of the best tech metal albums I've heard in years.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Freedom Trails posted:

Are you all picking a favorite album for each month or something? There can only be ONE best album of 2021. Make a choice, you feckless wimps!

its utter scorn

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Crustashio posted:

Apparently 2021 was a slow year in metal for me, I only grabbed ~15 albums from bandcamp. More of a -core standout year, ETID and BTBAM easily take the top spots. But I listened to these ones a lot as well.

Replicant - Malignant Reality (Dissonant Tech Death)
Opidian I - Desolate (Tech Death)
Black Mass - Feast at the Forbidden Tree (Thrash)
Alustrium - A Monument to Silence (Prog Death)

drat i can't believe i forgot about Ophidian I & Alustrium, they're extremely good

i will have to check out the other 2!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Freedom Trails posted:

Make a choice, you feckless wimps!

No don’t just post your favorite, I want to see more cool stuff I might have missed. I don’t really care who’s number one.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im sure once malignant altar's release on the 10th comes out i'll be adding it to my list

:agreed:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Snowy posted:

No don’t just post your favorite, I want to see more cool stuff I might have missed. I don’t really care who’s number one.

Yeah it’s this. I look at the lists that get posted every week and listen to a few things but there’s just too much. These end of year lists are helpful for finding things I may have otherwise missed. The consensus albums that show up across multiple lists are a good starting point.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 1, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I was just joking around, I like the lists too — it’s hard just picking one, isn’t it? I felt bad not giving the #1 spot to good ol’ Cannibal Corpse, but this has been one hell of a year and I preferred the energetic power metal of Dream Troll this time around.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
AOTY for me:

1. First Fragment - Gloire Eternelle
2. Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell
3. Archspire - Bleed the Future
4. Therion - Leviathan
5. Wizardthrone (rip) - Hypercube Necrodimensions

Honorable mention: NanowaR of Steel - Italian Folk Metal

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Uhhh aight let's see. Feels tough to make a list this year, there's so much stuff I feel like should be on it, but I just haven't managed to listen to enough.

Anyways, some standouts in no particular order:

Ironbound - The Lightbringer
Heavy metal, has a strong feeling of "Alternate universe Brave New World where Blaze Bayley is still on the vocals."

Mystic Storm - From the Ancient Chaos
Thrash metal, from Russia, in Russian. Some have called the band "Russian Détente", and from what little Détente I checked out, it's a pretty apt description. The band is probably aware of the similarity, since the digital Bandcamp version of the album has a Détente cover at the end.

Seven Spires - Gods of Debauchery
Uh, I guess these guys fall under the "symphonic metal" umbrella, but that doesn't quite paint a full picture. This album covers a pretty wide range of styles, from "Cradle of Borgir" to "Lady Gaga goes power metal."

Chainsword - Blightmarch
BOLT THROWER (Seriously, they actually put "bolt thrower worship" as their first tag)

Felled - The Intimate Earth
I guess this goes under atmoblack and folk/black. I really dig how they use violin as a band instrument and not just some background stuff.

Windfaerer - Breaths of Elder Dawns
Pretty much the exact same deal as with Felled. More melodic and upbeat. Just about as good, at any rate.

Aephanemer - A Dream of Wilderness
These guys have pretty much cemented their place as my favourite melodeath band now. This poo poo whips so hard.

Blazon Stone - Damnation
The best Running Wild worship band released their best album so far. The new vocalist (Matias Palm from Merging Flare and Heavy Metal Perse) is a great fit and the songs are just plain more memorable to me.

Eternity's End - Embers of War
Quite possibly the power metal AOTY. I love pm bands who remember that it's loving supposed to be guitar music. Most(?) of the bandmembers are from tech death bands, which sometimes leaks through a bit in the form of a particularly noodly bass solo or something, which is funny.

Ravenous - Hubris
Also quite possibly the power metal AOTY. This one has some real oomph to it. I like me some crazy banshee wails, but these guys have a decidedly more baritone approach to vocals which is a refreshing change. Also, they're listed as Ravenous E.H. in some places, like Youtube. Maybe because they're Canadian?

I don't think this is my final top 10, but it's what I can muster the :effort: for at the moment. Gonna try and have a better go over the holidays.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I totally forgot about that Fluids album, adding that to my list. Filth at its finest and toiletiest.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
In no particular order, my 2021 top 20...

Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality
Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana
Converge / Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon: I
Mortiferum - Preserved in Torment
Tribulation - Where the Bloom Becomes Sound
Carcass - Torn Arteries
Khemmis - Deceiver
200 Stab Wounds - Slave to the Scalpel
Hooded Menace - The Tritonus Bell
Apparition - Feel
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined
Powerwolf - Call of the Wild
Unto Others - Strength
Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice
Full Of Hell - Garden of Burning Apparitions
Panopticon - …And Again Into the Light
Worm - Foreverglade
Archspire - Bleed the Future

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Freedom Trails posted:

My favorite album of 2021 is a live album recorded in 2017 of a 2006 album

Edit: i didnt refresh before posting and lots of posts have happened since this, wew

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 1, 2021

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined
Enforced - Kill Grid
Wharflurch - Psychedelic Realms ov Hell
The Ruins of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires
Celestial Sanctuary - Soul Diminished
Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice
Mental Cruelty - A Hill To Die Upon

EPs:

Mutilation Barbecue - s/t
Knocked Loose - A Tear in the Fabric of Life
Lorna Shore - ...And I Return To Nothingness

Malignant Altar will probably beat Ruins for AOTY though

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nazzadan posted:

My favorite album of 2021 is a live album recorded in 2017 of a 2006 album

Warning is so loving good though. I got to see them live at one of (and possibly the very) last shows they played before they split/went on break back in 2009 or whenever. So. loving. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i tried to listen to that fluids album because people said it had trap beats on it which sounded cool, but then on the songs i listened to the trap beats were just at the start of the songs and stopped when the guitars kicked in, which seems like a big time rip off