Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

When I get the Real Electrician (tm) in I will be sure to ask.

edit: there's a bunch of wires in the basement that go to nowhere, maybe it's one of those.

:f5:

StormDrain posted:

Thats still not right. He's drawn a short circuit, where flipping the switch just connects hot to neutral.

I also don't understand a couple of things. It's clearly been rewired based on the plastic insulated wires as well as the cloth insulated. But the box doesn't look replaced. I suspect the outlet was wired to the switch originally, then rewired to be always hot and perhaps wrongly, and then re wired again to be switched again wrongly. I think the real crimes are in the outlet box.

I hope we get a true conclusion!

It reminded me of the outlet I just replaced which seems to feed something, but I couldn't figure it out so I just capped it off and hoped that I would discover it eventually. It's been a month.. No leads.

To my untrained eyes, assuming the leads-to-nowhere actually go nowhere, the circuit never* shorts. When the switches complete the circuit, it always leaves through the neutral on the plug. If there's nothing there to complete the circuit, the switches don't do anything. Unless you intentionally bridge the socket with no load, it won't short, hence why it needs a lamp plugged in and turned on to light the porch light. Everything in the 'box' on the diagram is just a bunch of elaborately tangled hots.

Assuming the porch light is static and always a complete circuit...
Close switch A or B and the wall outlet energizes.
If switch B is closed and a load exists at C, the porch light comes on. The state of switch A doesn't matter in this scenario, since the hot of circuit A and B is connected to C.
If switch A is closed but B is open, only the wall outlet is energized.

I might be misunderstanding AC (I did manage to flunk my highschool electronics course and short a one way switch during my first ever attempt at AC wiring :pseudo:), but I'm not seeing the short.

* "never" is of course predicated on the wall outlet being wired correctly and no one intentionally bridging the hot and neutral at that point to create a short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I just hope the electrician doesn’t just rip everything out and start from scratch without solving the mystery :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tomapot posted:

I just hope the electrician doesn’t just rip everything out and start from scratch without solving the mystery :ohdear:

If I was an electrician and I saw that circuit diagram, I'd want to document it for my fellow electricians.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't want to pay the guy to figure it out, just get it fixed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GreenNight posted:

I don't want to pay the guy to figure it out, just get it fixed.

That's a monkeys paw situation. He fixed that one but now two more don't work in even more annoying ways.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be the only one to foot the bill if the electrician wants to charge extra to answer the question. More importantly, actually understanding what's going on there might affect your understanding of other areas of the house's wiring, especially since there're some mystery cables

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

goon crowdfunded :iiam:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
y'all are talkin about a bounty :clint:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Bountyshunters

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Bountyshunters

Crappy construction: Bountyshunters

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If any of you are in Kansas City, you're welcome to come take a look yourself.

I will be sure to ask the electrician to at least LOOK at the diagram and see if they think it's accurate.

edit: should I post this in the electrical thread? Or will it just drive everyone insane.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I will be sure to ask the electrician to at least LOOK at the diagram and see if they think it's accurate.

edit: should I post this in the electrical thread? Or will it just drive everyone insane.

Oh of course that poo poo is in MO. I swear to Christ there was something happening in Missouri for a few decades in the mid 20th century that lead to all the electrical contractors pulling stupid poo poo like this.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I have a house in Missouri built in the 1920's. Nice place but the electricity needs to be modernized. It's bad enough that the walls can't be insulated because that would be a fire hazard. My mom's house was built in the 50's and the wood used on the exterior wall was never cured properly. Until we finally went with siding there was a three year routine of paint & peel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

It's bad enough that the walls can't be insulated because that would be a fire hazard.

That doesn't sound like a thing. Can you explain?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
yeah fiberglass like dow corning or whatever is actually fire retardant isn't it? same with the treated ceiling blow-in.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It's actually the opposite. The biggest hazard to old houses from insulation is holding moisture near the wood.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

It's actually the opposite. The biggest hazard to old houses from insulation is holding moisture near the wood.

That's what a vapor barrier is for. This is not some kind of new problem that hasn't been solved for decades now.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Motronic posted:

That doesn't sound like a thing. Can you explain?

I don't know what that guy has going on, but we could not insulate our attic until we removed all the knob and tube wiring - by code here you aren't allowed to have insulation in contact with it. If I understood correctly it's because K&T was built assuming the airspace around it for cooling and if you cover it up then it can overheat? I didn't really dig into it, just that everyone involved was real firm about it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

👀 i can do the needful

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Interesting story I just heard today about a guy who tried to cheap out and do a job himself.

Around this time last year my contracting partner and I got a call to go to a guy's seasonal cottage to install some hardwood flooring. We show up to the job, get the key where he left it and go inside. The place is an approx 1100 sq foot cottage with pine flooring in every room. The garage had a massive lift of locally cut ash flooring bundled up to be installed. We call him up and ask what exactly he wants us to do. He says that the place was built with 1/2" OSB installed on the floor joists and 1" pine on top of that, nailed into the joists every 16". He wants the new hardwood installed over top of the pine. We look around some more and call up a few other crews to get advice.

We call him back and tell him that the flooring should ideally be installed perpendicular to the pine, and since the joists will be running the wrong way, that we have to add material (14" 2x4 chunks) underneath the flooring between the joists to nail the new flooring into. Also we have to predrill oversized holes through the pine to accommodate for expansion, nail into the staggered 2x4s under the floor, and that there will be a hell of a lot of cutting since the exterior walls are rough logs and there are stairs, doorways, and other things to cut around. Also, since this is the winter and the weather is drier than the summer, we're going to have to bring in all the ash, heat the cabin, run a humidifier, and stack it so it can acclimatize to the cabin as if it were summer, so that it swells a little before installing, to prevent pinching, tenting, and expansion into built-in objects (cabinet bottoms, stairs, walls, etc).

We figure it will take a week for the wood to acclimatize, and another week to install, and the job will take us and our helper (who will probably be laying on his back for most of the time in the 23" crawl space) a week to finish, at a cost of $4500. We mention that should the job take less time (a day or two) we'd be willing to knock off up to $1000. He said that he'd get back to us. . . which he never did.

Yesterday my partner was at the hardware store picking up stuff for a job he is working on and ran into on of the contractors we called for advice. I guess the homeowner decided to do it himself, but decided to skip all of our advice. He started by getting a roaring fire going in the cottage, and bringing in the flooring as he was installing it. He didn't see the need to lay the flooring perpendicular to the pine, didn't predrill, and never bothered to attempt to acclimatize the wood. The contractor was called in to assess the situation back in late July.

We had a very wet June, and the bone dry hardwood soaked up all the moisture in the air and started to swell. The first thing that happened was a lot of the pine boards underneath being split by the nails going through them being pulled sideways when the ash expanded. Since the homeowner installed the flooring tight against everything, whatever was less solid than the flooring was smashed (kitchen and bathroom cabinets). What was stronger than the flooring (exterior log walls and framed interior walls) caused the flooring around them to lift off the floor, pulling their nails, and pointing up like a tent. I guess a shitload of the ash he installed was ruined from splitting, nails being pulled through the boards, or the tongue and grooves being snapped off when they "tented" off the floor.

When the homeowner was complaining that we were giving him an outrageous quote the contractor remarked that he figured we underquoted by at least 2k.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The traditional way they do that here is by not nailing the floor boards down and having space on the end so the floor can expand and contract, the boards are pegged to keep them together, or you could do a tongue & groove, or a biscuit joiner without glue, or something else.

Strong baseboards on the walls hold the boards down. And likewise the boards are installed before having dried completely, then after a few years you usually fit a last piece more tightly since the wood movement by then will have stabilized in the indoor climate. At least in finnish climate.

Actual video of the process, nicely retro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE&t=1209s

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 1, 2021

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Can't decide if I'm Thick Pegging or the Impromptu rear end-to-rear end

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's what a vapor barrier is for. This is not some kind of new problem that hasn't been solved for decades now.

A lot of old houses only have paint as their vapor barrier, so just cutting a hole in the wall and dropping a bunch of blown in insulation won't cut it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

A lot of old houses only have paint as their vapor barrier, so just cutting a hole in the wall and dropping a bunch of blown in insulation won't cut it.

Correct.........yet opening exterior walls (or interior, depends on a lot of factors) to properly insulate and put in a vapor barrier still pays back in a matter of a few years in most climates. This isn't a throw your hands up and go "oh well, can't do anything about it.....old houses, amirite?" situation.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Correct.........yet opening exterior walls (or interior, depends on a lot of factors) to properly insulate and put in a vapor barrier still pays back in a matter of a few years in most climates. This isn't a throw your hands up and go "oh well, can't do anything about it.....old houses, amirite?" situation.

Sure. I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that the major difficulty is the opposite of fire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Sure. I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that the major difficulty is the opposite of fire.

Oh, right right. I missed that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

After we moved in here I went to change the light in the living room, and discovered that the fixture was held up with blutack.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Crystal River Nuclear Plant

quote:

Plan developer Sargent & Lundy specified that 97 tendons be loosened. Progress rejected that number as excessive. The next proposal was to loosen 74 tendons, which was typical of other nuclear plants doing the procedure. According to a Progress employee, "de-tensioning the tendons is a very expensive and time-consuming effort", so the number was further reduced to 65. Progress engaged Bechtel to provide a 3rd party review, which agreed that 65 was appropriate. However, when the work was performed, only 27 tendons were loosened, and a foreman and supervisor sent emails questioning the way the tendons were loosened.

[...]

In October 2012 an independent review estimated the repair cost at $1.5 billion, with a worst-case scenario of $3.4 billion.

Duke Energy Demolishes Crystal River Power Plant

(Although, the concrete has, apparently, been crap since 1977 https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1028/ML102861026.pdf )

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Yeah just remove boards, put it insulation, put back boards bing bang boom.

Oh your house isn't wood-clad well gently caress your house then burn it down.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

insta posted:

👀 i can do the needful

I really cannot imagine my husband's reaction to my inviting a stranger over to inspect the Mystery Switch for the internet's amusement.

That's not a "no", though.

edit: he said to ask my dad lol (because he wants to know if my dad thinks having someone poke around would mess it up even more, not because I need to ask my dad for permission for things.)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 2, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah just remove boards, put it insulation, put back boards bing bang boom.

Oh your house isn't wood-clad well gently caress your house then burn it down.

It's almost like owning a non-goverhaus requires maintenance or something. And sometimes that's expensive, but pays out over time. And in this case not a lot of time.

Also, it's not clear why wood clad is the only thing that makes this "easy" or whatever you're on about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jerry Cotton has ideas about the superiority of Finnish methods.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Jerry Cotton has ideas

does he though?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Also, it's not clear why wood clad is the only thing that makes this "easy" or whatever you're on about.

Wood is very forgiving. I don't think I'd like to do the thing with brick.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Vinyl is only for pet household floors, I don't think I've ever seen vinyl siding

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bensa posted:

Vinyl is only for pet household floors, I don't think I've ever seen vinyl siding

Thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bensa posted:

Oh god what a world it would be.