Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, it's p. obvious

I didnt get this at all. Did I miss something about this "secret Malkieri" thing?

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gully Foyle posted:

I didnt get this at all. Did I miss something about this "secret Malkieri" thing?

I think you missed a couple of people not knowing the difference between Malkier and Manetheren. Because that's what they couldn't telegraph harder if they tried.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

I think you missed a couple of people not knowing the difference between Malkier and Manetheren. Because that's what they couldn't telegraph harder if they tried.

Did they say Manetheren? I swear it was "the last king and queen of Malkier", but it was almost a week ago and I could be misremembering.

It would make a lot more sense. The primary reason I asked is because making her a secret descendant of the Malkier royals would make her relationship with Lan very Game of Thrones and would not be a good idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Devorum posted:

Did they say Manetheren? I swear it was "the last king and queen of Malkier", but it was almost a week ago and I could be misremembering.

It would make a lot more sense. The primary reason I asked is because making her a secret descendant of the Malkier royals would make her relationship with Lan very Game of Thrones and would not be a good idea.

It's not totally impossible that I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not. Oh no, an excuse to watch the episode again, how will we ever cope?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I absolutely heard Manetheren every time I watched it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The subtitles say Manetheren.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, I just rewatched the scene and it's definitely Manetheren. I guess my brain just misfired in the moment.

I've never been so glad to discover I was wrong about what was being heavily telegraphed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khizan posted:

I checked this. In the epilogue he has a single saa, shaped like the Dragon's Fang, floating unmoving in his right eye.

Fuckin floaters

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I just want to say I continue to really appreciate this passage early on in Gideon the Ninth: "But then he did something perfect. It was probably recorded in some lovely Seventh-style swordplay book as TWO CROWS DRINKING WATER or THE BOY STRANGLES THE GOOSE."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

imo it would cheapen things a bit to give nynaeve undiscovered royal heritage so i'd rather that not happen. they're doing a little bit to make her childhood more mysterious but it could very well just be fodder to explain why she's standoff-ish a bit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i wonder what conflict her parents would've even been killed in? aiel war doesn't seem right

also who they were that they'd know significant quotes in the old tongue

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

eke out posted:

i wonder what conflict her parents would've even been killed in? aiel war doesn't seem right

my guess is it’s the 1987 Denver Broncos

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The changes they made to Nynaeve's background seem strange to me because ultimately they aren't important to her character. Her parents are both dead from disease by the time the books start so they've never been a part of who she is, her first channeling is because of Egwene. I don't mind them, but I also don't see the point of them at this point in the show.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I just rewatched the scene and it's definitely Manetheren. I guess my brain just misfired in the moment.

I've never been so glad to discover I was wrong about what was being heavily telegraphed.

lmao

i rewatched it too, and the subtitles do say manetheren and not malkier. i got the exactly same brain misfire

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

eke out posted:

The timeline fits for the Aiel War, and the whole Two Rivers area is full of weird lingering touches of Manetheran handed down for centuries as bits and bobs of tradition, like the archery practice or the anti-Trolloc polearm tactics disguised as Bel Tine quarterstaff competitions.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The timeline fits for the Aiel War, and the whole Two Rivers area is full of weird lingering touches of Manetheran handed down for centuries as bits and bobs of tradition, like the archery practice or the anti-Trolloc polearm tactics disguised as Bel Tine quarterstaff competitions.

Maybe if they're from somewhere in Cairhien directly in the path of the invasion? I didn't think it fit because it doesn't seem like the Aiel war was a "hide your children and everyone go out to fight a last ditch stand" thing for pretty much anyone in this region (and if they're not in the region, what's the Manetheren connection)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
She just says that their village was attacked, which could be literally anything. There's all kinds of border skirmishes in the world, whether it's Tear and Illian, Andor and Cairhein/Murandy, Murandy/Ghealdan, or Tarabon and Arad Doman.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I really don't think they're projecting her being royalty or anything. It's just an old saying. The x-ray at the time is talking about Malkier, which is why some people might have been confused. But it's talking about how the Old Tongue is a dead language, and only nobles are really taught it.

Which is why it would make sense that it would just be a tradition in some village, that people wouldn't know.

Also I really love the fact that Lan doesn't just translate it for her. He knows it's important to her so he asks if she wants it translated.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turns out Tigraine had twins...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The changes they made to Nynaeve's background seem strange to me because ultimately they aren't important to her character. Her parents are both dead from disease by the time the books start so they've never been a part of who she is, her first channeling is because of Egwene. I don't mind them, but I also don't see the point of them at this point in the show.

The two rivers is not as isolated or unknown in the TV series and even given the unreliable narration, it's implied that the kin is a much more open secret with rotations and all that jazz stretching all the way to the two rivers.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Speaking of Quarterstaff Fighting, I'll be heartbroken if we don't get the scene in S2 where Matt beats the poo poo out of a couple Warders with his staff like its NBD.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ive heard rumors of 4 ta'veren in emonds field, taren farry and devon ride and by gum it put them on the map

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sanguinia posted:

Speaking of Quarterstaff Fighting, I'll be heartbroken if we don't get the scene in S2 where Matt beats the poo poo out of a couple Warders with his staff like its NBD.

they turned the story of the warder getting his rear end beat into a cool animated short, for ep 3 i think, so they definitely seem aware of it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Every episode that passes I get more bummed that Mat got recast

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

buffalo all day posted:

ive heard rumors of 4 ta'veren in emonds field, taren farry and devon ride and by gum it put them on the map

Nah, its not for you, Ta'veren is more of a Watch Hill idea...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

curious if they might try to link the wolf thing to the whole 'ancient manetheren' angle in the show and make that more a thing since perrin's whole arc involves the lordship and all that going on

would be fine if they did that, imo

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like they get to Tar Valon this week :toot:

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideoIN/status/1466044412992102402

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's moving awfully fast, but it feels right for the TV presentation. It's a good time to get to some Fantasy City Spectacle.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Certified fresh :toot:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_wheel_of_time/s01

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised

e. that it is pretty quality

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Man I have no idea what's going to happen in this episode. Aside from the Perrin/Whitecloaks stuff and Moiraine/Siuan reunion I can't think of much of anything from the books that would fit here

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Seems to be some kind of internal tower politics. Will we get a surprise Elaida??

No idea who the two powerful enemies could be.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be honest a lot of changes in the show seem like this to me, just kind of arbitrary, hell there are too many to list vOv

We're along for the ride so I think now am trying to not dwell on the less-good bits, and just enjoy the show for what it is.

Rarity posted:

Man I have no idea what's going to happen in this episode. Aside from the Perrin/Whitecloaks stuff and Moiraine/Siuan reunion I can't think of much of anything from the books that would fit here
Was there much from the previous episode that was from the book? Almost the whole thing felt like brand new invention to me but perhaps I'm forgetting something. Obviously the tinkers and the farm are kind of from the book but changed quite a lot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sanguinia posted:

I think that's a pretty tenuous theory because it demands that you acknowledge free will exists in the book's universe but also argue that free will is meaningless in the book's universe. We never see Ta'veren undermine free will, the closest it comes is when Verin's attempts to use Traveling and Skimming keep leading her back to Mat, and it doesn't change her desire to travel, it just makes her give up on leaving until she does whatever the thing she needs to do with Mat is. Rand's Ta'veren nature never even goes that far with any of his romantic partners. You can argue its why he met them, but none of them fell in love with him because random luck kept forcing them together until they gave up on their heartfelt desire to not love him and just gave in. Nobody tripped and fell onto his dick.

Like, Mat stubbornly refused to open a letter in an attempt to defy fate, and that choice led to a lot of needless death and destruction before the Trolloc Army got destroyed anyway. I guess you can argue that it was MEANT to happen exactly that way and not the other way because of destiny or whatever, but again, if you argue that Ta'veren and Fate obviates free will that completely, you're arguing that free will is so totally meaningless in the universe than what's the point of caring that it may have been violated? Why would the author make such a giant point in the final battle against the devil that eliminating free will would be a worse hell than letting Satan win?

Because the author is inconsistent. He makes his climax be about free will but mostly doesn't care about it in more minor roles. Aviendha explicitly tries to run from fate, to the point of almost killing herself in a blizzard.

Min explicitly states in Salidar when she and Elayne meet up that she didn't want to fall in love and certainly doesn't want to share her partner but she had no choice. Direct quote "not that either of us has much choice".

Rand doesn't have a choice either. Nobody has good, enthusiastic and positive consent in that entire 4 way relationship.

quote:

I love Thom's guitar, but I also hope we get to see him do some Court Barding with a Harp to really show the contrast between his old life and the one we meet him in.

EDIT: Also, I bet Asmodean wrote that song. What a prick.

I really liked that scene, good character intro and the song wasn't bad at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I''ve been reading his Conan books

they're horny for Conan books

Good lord, they are. In Conan the Triumphant there's a chapter that's just sex...Conan doesn't even kill anyone...which is unheard of for a Conan story!

Sanguinia posted:

EDIT: Also, I bet Asmodean wrote that song. What a prick.

Cute idea, but the timeline doesn't match up. Asmodean was already sealed in Shayol Ghul by the time LTT broke the world. And where we are in the story, only Ishy should be free, so if Asmodean wrote it, there'd be no way for Thom to have heard it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 1, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they put a dick & balls tower on the vagina island

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

wheel of time is bare minimum horny for a series about human beings to whom the reader is supposed to relate. the only way there could be less sex in the series is if babies were delivered by stork. the worst you can say about it is there's more spanking than average. and the collars are going to look weird probably.

It's a really bizarre dichotomy because WoT is less explicitly horny for a fantasy series than average, but the author's breast fetish is way more prevalent than most.

Like I've read books with multiple explicit sex scenes that mentioned breasts less often per chapter(and had less spanking).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

It's a really bizarre dichotomy because WoT is less explicitly horny for a fantasy series than average, but the author's breast fetish is way more prevalent than most.

Like I've read books with multiple explicit sex scenes that mentioned breasts less often per chapter(and had less spanking).

it's written like a bodice ripper anytime two romantic interests are together it's unbelievably hornt. the main characters are weirdly prudish as country bumpkins but that is directly referenced by other characters. One of these prudes is constantly at war internally over wanting to wear sexy dresses.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

CainFortea posted:

Didn't the pattern also light his pipe for him?

When he was fighting the DO, at one point he was weaving the very essence of the pattern, not the 5 elements channelers usually do. I always got the impression that when he lit the pipe, it was from having that connection to how it all works and he could now affect things at a more primal level (the essence of thought).

It’s never actually explained by Sanderson or otherwise so we don’t really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

it's written like a bodice ripper anytime two romantic interests are together it's unbelievably hornt. the main characters are weirdly prudish as country bumpkins but that is directly referenced by other characters. One of these prudes is constantly at war internally over wanting to wear sexy dresses.

Clothing is like the biggest thing discussed in the entire circus chapters.

like the actual show is barely mentioned but I could probably sketch Nyneave and Elaynes clothing from memory, given how often necklines and legs were covered.