Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

This is one of those stories where it gets worse the further you read. Nic as Dracula? Great! Oh, it's a Universal movie? Oh it's a Renfield movie? With Nicholas Holt? By the Tomorrow War guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tom Waits will always be the most properly cast Renfield

Peter MacNicol in Dead & Loving It is pretty spot-on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw the end of Dead and Loving it at a video rental place when I was really young and didn’t realize it was a comedy. I distinctly remembered him drawing a smiley face in the ashes. It wasn’t until years later I realized what I’d seen.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is one of those stories where it gets worse the further you read. Nic as Dracula? Great! Oh, it's a Universal movie? Oh it's a Renfield movie? With Nicholas Holt? By the Tomorrow War guy?

Hey, I like Nicholas Hoult. Or I don't dislike him at least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah Nicholas Hoult seems alright

granted the last thing I saw him in was Fury Road which i'm afraid to remember what year cuz you're gonna tell me it was 2010 and im gonna go "wtf"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah Nicholas Hoult seems alright

granted the last thing I saw him in was Fury Road which i'm afraid to remember what year cuz you're gonna tell me it was 2010 and im gonna go "wtf"

Fury Road was only six years ago, 2015.

To his credit, he was giving his absolute all in the last two (incredibly lovely) X-Men movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason he did two completely different early 20th century author biopics. He was JRR Tolkien in Tolkien and JD Salinger in Rebel in the Rye.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason he did two completely different early 20th century author biopics. He was JRR Tolkien in Tolkien and JD Salinger in Rebel in the Rye.

He also played Robert Harley and Nikola Tesla. I believe he was also considered for the Turing role in The Imitation Game before it went to Cumberbatch.

Dude really loves doing biopics for some reason.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

He's currently being terrific in The Great, which is the best show streaming right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nicholas Hoult was great in The Favourite. I’d be excited to see him in some horror movies.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Enos Cabell posted:

He's currently being terrific in The Great, which is the best show streaming right now.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nicholas Hoult was great in The Favourite. I’d be excited to see him in some horror movies.

He's my favorite in The Banker.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Rochallor posted:

He's my favorite in The Banker.

You can bank on him in The Terrific.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
His tastiest role is in The Menu

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just finished the most recent season of The Great tonight. The best so far absolutely.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been on the Hoult train since About a Boy. One heck of a rocket ride.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

About a Boy: I listened to the album first, then read the book, then saw the movie. And I think they all hold up. Not bad for something from 20 years ago. We like to think of our era as one of rapid change but imagine someone in 1979 defending an album or a book or a movie from 1959.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget about United Passions, a feature length hagiography to FIFA's leadership released smack dab in the middle of the corruption scandal.

What's especially mind boggling is that FIFA bankrolled the movie but the entire movie is feels like what you'd get if you asked someone to write a hit piece on FIFA. The scene near the beginning where a bunch of French assholes just declare themselves to be in charge of soccer with triumphant music swelling in the background, the scene during the 40s where the president of fifa basically says the worst part of WW2 was they had to cancel the world cup, etc.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I've been on the Hoult train since About a Boy. One heck of a rocket ride.

He was almost Batman too, before Pattinson got the role.

Another movie with Holt that's great is Warm Bodies, where he was a romantic zombie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Am I GETTING THROUGH TO YOU, RENFIELD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXZzvvp2uc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Young Nicolas Cage looks like a Mad magazine drawing of himself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Nicolas Cage should be a guest usher at Dracula screenings and when he shows people to their seats yells “AAAYYY Uh BEEEEE UH SEEEEEE”

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Long-time readers of these threads will remember the many, many, many times Zorro has attempted to be rebooted as some sort of Future Zorro. Welcome to another attempt.

quote:

Alex Rivera, a recipient of a 2021 MacArthur Genius grant, is set to write and direct Zorro 2.0 for Sobini Films.

The film reimagines the iconic character as Oscar de la Vega, a young, undocumented hacker known as ‘z0rr0.’ While fighting back against a secret government unit that attacked his mother, he discovers a high-tech conspiracy that threatens not only his family but the world.

“I’ve always been interested in films that address real-world issues through genre,” Rivera said in a statement to Deadline. “This project is an opportunity to connect Zorro—the original masked avenger—to today’s border wars, a conflict in which immigrant families are pitted against regimes of hi-tech surveillance and government control. ‘Zorro 2.0’ will be visually elevated, socially grounded, sci-fi cinema, and I’m thrilled to be working with Sobini to get this vision on the screen.”

https://deadline.com/2021/11/alex-rivera-write-direct-zorro-2-0-for-sobini-films-1234881675/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
what in the gently caress.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I don’t know if z0rr0 is more embarrassing than Parz1val from Ready Player One, but it’s pretty drat close.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zorro 2.0 sounds like it should have been a cyberpunk show on Fox that aired for one season in 1997 and was set in a dystopian 2004.

Writing this out I realized I'm describing Dark Angel, haha.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What is even the point of a Zorro movie without sword-fights?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crowetron posted:

“No, you see, he’ll do TikTok videos of him practicing with a sword!”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chairman Capone posted:

Zorro 2.0 sounds like it should have been a cyberpunk show on Fox that aired for one season in 1997 and was set in a dystopian 2004.

Writing this out I realized I'm describing Dark Angel, haha.

And aired in the same block as VR.5

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Long-time readers of these threads will remember the many, many, many times Zorro has attempted to be rebooted as some sort of Future Zorro. Welcome to another attempt.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/alex-rivera-write-direct-zorro-2-0-for-sobini-films-1234881675/

I'm brushing my teeth while reading this and could barely contain a groan that would have caused a t00thpaste disaster.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Stop trying to make Zorro happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best option they have for that sort of thing is that short video a few years back of Zorro as basically Raiden from Metal Gear Rising

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stop trying to make Zorro happen.

It happened in the 90s and it was good then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrhTLNorF0&t=1s

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Crowetron posted:

"When z0rr0 is hacking we wanted something more dynamic than him just typing and staring at a screen so he will put on a Meta Oculus Quest 2 headset, we would then cut to the cyberspace and he will be sword fighting with programs and cutting through lines of code."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is not how you get future Batman

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just put Zorro, Robin Hood, King Arthur, and whoever else into a superteam of unbankable franchises.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

It happened in the 90s and it was good then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrhTLNorF0&t=1s

Isn't it fun that that's essentially a quarter of a century ago

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

Isn't it fun that that's essentially a quarter of a century ago

Antonio Banderas was young at the time. And somehow less buff than he is now.

drat he's aged well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Zorro’s setting contemporaneous with Sherlock Holmes? I’ve got some inspiration involving the 22nd century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is Zorro’s setting contemporaneous with Sherlock Holmes? I’ve got some inspiration involving the 22nd century.

The original Zorro stories were set way earlier in the early 1800s.